Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

2010 Japanese F1 Grand Prix in Suzuka

After today's action-packed race, the next enthralling encounter is due to take place in Japan in 2 weeks' time.

It is still uncertain whether there will be 3 or 4 more races to decide the 2010 Drivers' and Constructors' Championship Titles. The race in South Korea is not yet certain to take place.

Crucially, that means that there may be fewer points available than originally expected - and fewer races to catch up points shortfalls.

IMHO there is a huge difference between drivers who say all the right things (about being consistent and avoiding DNFs) and those who actually deliver. I see this as a straight fight between Alonso, Webber and Vettel.

Hamilton says the right things but then makes key mistakes that have resulted in 2 consecutive DNFs. Button has been more consistent but his car simply lacks the out and out speed to beat Alonso or the 2 Red Bull drivers. Button's only weakness this season has been qualification performance and his delivery when the car is not to his liking.

I find Vettel still too inconsistent. He can't expect to get away with qualification errors like touching the barrier (like he did yesterday in Singapore). That cost him pole position and therefore the race. At least he didn't have a slow start (like he often has done this season). Trying to leave the pitbox in 2nd gear - another error today that crept in due to the pressure.

So, if I had to pick the 2 main protagonists: IMHO it is Alonso vs Webber.

Of these two, I see the momentum lies with Alonso. Webber may be calm and confident but Alonso is self-confident and really driven. Alonso has an intense sense of purpose that only Vettel and Kubica also possess IMHO. Alonso has 2 consecutive wins.

IMO the crucial difference is that Red Bull is still dividing its efforts between 2 drivers whereas all of Ferrari is focussed on just 1 man. Plus, Red Bull cares about the Constructors' Title too. For Ferrari, that was lost long ago. So you can be sure that Maranello is thinking 24/7 how to make Alonso become 2010 F1 World Champion in his debut season with Ferrari.

At the moment, only 2 drivers in F1 are the complete product: Alonso and Kubica. Sadly for Kubica, he is in a Renault and he is outperforming the car. If Kubica had been in a Red Bull car all season, then IMvHO this title would have been decided already.

Kubica and Alonso are the only relentless drivers who, when they are focussed on the task in hand, simply do not make mistakes no matter how much pressure they are placed under. Alonso has made mistakes earlier this season - he had lost some of his sharp focus when driving a poor Renault for 2 seasons.

But I think he has now rediscovered the form he had in his 2 championship winning seasons with Renault. This is ominous for 2011.

I expect Alonso to become 2010 F1 World Champion.

Next season depends on whether Adrian Newey can deliver more magic for Red Bull. If not, I expect Ferrari to develop the fastest car at the start of the 2011 season. One can't predict beyond the start of 2011.

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Rennteam signature photo 2.jpg

Re: 2010 Japanese F1 Grand Prix in Suzuka

I agree with you, Kubica is an awesome driver. But being fast in a slow car and being fast in a fast car is not the same thing. Button is a nice example that driver and car have to fit together.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9038128.stm

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

I have been very busy and had a terrible time trying to keep up on the current season. Enjoyed your analysis very much, thanks easy!

Poor Nick Heidfeld - shafted again - Sauber tested him for just 1 race in Singapore before deciding not to let him stay next season. Instead, Sauber is giving the race seat alongside Kamui Kobayashi to a rookie, Sergio Perez.

www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2010/10/11338.html 

--

RT Moderator 

Ahhh - the penny drops 

Now we know why Sergio Perez got the seat ...

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9059645.stm

"
    The Swiss team, currently eighth in the 2010 constructors' standings with 27 points, also announced a partnership with Mexican telecommunications giant Telmex, owned by billionaire Carlos Slim.

Perez has been driving for the Escuderia Telmex team in GP2."

--

RT Moderator 

Thanks for the detailed analysis Easy, I too have been too busy to watch the races live and whatnot and im somewhat sad about that. Your threads provide the ideal place to feel as though i watched it live.

As for your predictions, I think you are mostly bang on. I remain hopefully that Webber or perhaps even Vettel take the 2010 title. Let me tell you why. I honestly think that given the amazing performance of RBR in the past two years, one of their drivers deserves a title over well established powerhouses of Ferrari and McLaren. On top of that, i've always liked the persona of Webber as far back as when he was racing for F1 Jaguar. He certainly is an amazing character and loves racing. He's been through a lot... this season alone. Remember his scary back flip crash, and win to which he said "not bad for a Nr. 2 driver" I mean his wins were absolutely deserves and fought for. If he can manage to take the title this season i would be so proud and happy. What a highlight for his career, which has been anything than easy.

I guess either way it will be very close in these last 3 (hopefully 4) races and we can certainly get ready for some controversy and perhaps some intense racing situations.

It's never been this fun though

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Red Bull dominates Friday Practice 1 & 2

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/results/8499327.stm

--

RT Moderator 

Lewis Hamilton ruins car in P1. Seems like he was pushing quite a bit already. The stress of the final races has taken it's hold now for sure. Pressure is on him to score some points.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

What a bunch for little girls - since when is it too wet to qualify?  the sport is going down-hill fast (or slowly as it seems!).

I feel sorry for the fans who were there, getting wet, spending insane Money to sit there and have Qualifying canceled. 

I am disapointed...  What is next?  One car at a time so we don't have accidents?  Maybe they should just have virtual racing when it is too wet, sunny or windy???  Nascar is starting to look good and that says a lot.  At least those guys have attachments!  Montoya must be rolling on the floor laughing.

With respect, I don't agree. The track was soaking wet. It was unsafe to drive a F1 car in these conditions.

Plus, so near to the end of the championship, I wouldn't want it decided by a lottery.

Tomorrow will be mega - with both qualification and the race on the same day.

This has been one of the most thrilling F1 seasons in my recent memory - so I don't share the view about F1 going downhill.

--

RT Moderator 

I agree easy, I don't want to see crashes, I want to see the very limits of todays technology and driving ability.

Not souped up street cars with fixed rear axles, driving around an oval.

I'm not against Nascar, I enjoy watching it sometimes too, but there's no way you can compare it to F1. It's like comparing WRC with ALMS, totally different appeal. 

FYI, revised TV coverage info for BBC1 in the UK: qualification coverage is being shown from 0150-0330 and the race coverage is from 0600-0910 

--

RT Moderator 

McLaren driver Lewis Hamilton has been penalised five places on the grid for Sunday's Japanese Grand Prix for changing his gearbox. 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9076871.stm

--

Looks like this race will be dominated by Red Bull. Let's see what happens - hopefully an enjoyable race. Will be interesting to see how Button's tyre choice works out.

--

RT Moderator 

Still watching qualifying. Is this track made of sand paper?  Interesting comments about the tire wear!

It's after midnight, haven't checked online, but since the race is broadcast next; I imagine this qualifying footage is a bit out of date.

Still looks great so far

Just fyi, qualification ended 3 hrs 46 mins ago. I didn't watch qualification live but I instead woke up 2 hours ago and watched a recording of it - timing it so that, after finishing that, I could immediately move on to the live coverage this morning of the race itself 

--

RT Moderator 

So now you are up very early and I am up very late, both waiting for the start of the race! I very much enjoy the internet and F1.

easy_rider911:

Just fyi, qualification ended 3 hrs 46 mins ago. I didn't watch qualification live but I instead woke up 2 hours ago and watched a recording of it - timing it so that, after finishing that, I could immediately move on to the live coverage this morning of the race itself 

After F1 at 9am your time watch the Moto GP race from Malaysia. You will enjoy it!.

Lorenzo will most probably clinch the title today.

--

"Form follows function"

Job done by both Red Bulls today. They were so utterly dominant this whole weekend (apart from a slow start off the grid).

Alonso also did a fine job - it was curious how Button took him so easily off the start but FA took the place back when Webber forced Button to go wide in defending his position.

Bad luck for Hamilton suffering another gearbox problem. That's a pity - he drove a good race.

Finally, Schumi delivered a good performance.

I just feel so sorry for Kubica losing a rear wheel - he could have scored heavily today.

I'm not sure yet why Rosberg went off ...

I think the safety car at the start stayed out for what seemed like a very long time - 6 laps!

The most exciting drive was by Kobayashi IMHO - he was epic ;)

--

RT Moderator 

Gladstone:

So now you are up very early and I am up very late, both waiting for the start of the race! I very much enjoy the internet and F1.

Yeah LOL - enjoy SmileySmiley

--

RT Moderator 

easy_rider911:

J

I'm not sure yet why Rosberg went off ...

Lost a wheel

--

"Form follows function"

So many wheels came off today  

--

RT Moderator 

Poor Massa seems like a shadow of his former self - ever since Hockenheim, he just seems like a broken man - he has no fight left in him. I don't blame him - it's Ferrari's fault for publicly telling him before the whole world that he is no 2. 

--

RT Moderator 

easy_rider911:

Poor Massa seems like a shadow of his former self - ever since Hockenheim, he just seems like a broken man - he has no fight left in him. I don't blame him - it's Ferrari's fault for publicly telling him before the whole world that he is no 2. 

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87400

LdiM thinks he is talking to children!

--

"Form follows function"

Massa is in Japan whereas LCdM is sitting in Maranello watching the same action on TV as the rest of us and then he tells us what to think 

--

RT Moderator 

GOOOOO VETTEL! Great win at an absolute critical point. I still want vettel to take the 2010 season. He's just great. Plus a couple of records, i believe he would beat Alonso for youngest champion. The race was pretty great, RBR on top with ferrari behind. BMW Sauber had a great weekend and so did Schumi, that's good to see.

--

Eunice, that's pretty funny ... and needs no comment.

The Vettel we saw today was the Vettel I've been wishing we could see. Great to see RBR doing so well. Wish Hamilton and Button had a little bit better car.

D

--

Winning through radical experimentation.

easy_rider911:

At the moment, only 2 drivers in F1 are the complete product: Alonso and Kubica. Sadly for Kubica, he is in a Renault and he is outperforming the car. If Kubica had been in a Red Bull car all season, then IMvHO this title would have been decided already.

Kubica and Alonso are the only relentless drivers who, when they are focussed on the task in hand, simply do not make mistakes no matter how much pressure they are placed under.

Seems like I am not alone in rating Kubica so highly Smiley Did Mark Hughes copy my post in his article?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9080455.stm

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690593 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409848 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256064 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235292 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65721 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4715 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858508 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774780 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM