Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: New toy

Tom,

What car are you thinking of using it in? Have you thought about using solar reflective leather like BMW offer if heat build up is the issue or is it purely an aesthetic change you want? I think the moquette is fine for a car like the Dino where it was a factory finish but in a Porsche for example it may look a bit "pimp my ride" IMHO. If the negative things you've heard about alcantara are shrinkage or discolouration from exposure to strong sunlight I think the same issues (especially fading) apply to the moquette. I'm pretty safe on the fading risk scale as we rarely see the sun in the UK

I did not know of this BMW leather but reflection does NOT sound good when the purpose is minimizing glare while driving.

The negative things I have heard about Alcantara were   http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/20180132/Re_Carrera_GTS_Porsche_911_Now_Even_Sportier/page1.html#p20180132

I have a lot of work to do on my car to get it where I want it, improvements and change of interior items. I don't think I would go for some new proprietary leather as sitting in sun will not be a problem. Plus I will be very particular on the leather- color, texture, thickness, grain.

Just thought this mousehair might look good just on dash and pod if same color as most of interior for purpose of glare reduction while driving. But it has to look like it belongs. Best auto carpet and leather that I can get.

That is looking fantastic ISUK!

Must be a challenge as nothing for the Dino is "off the shelf" items. Must be keeping you really busy  

ISUK:

Thanks easy. I never envisaged doing quite so much work on the car when I first bought it but as with any older car that hasn't had a recent restoration you inevitably run across more things as you start taking it apart. I've just taken the view that whilst the car is being stripped down for some of the planned work it's crazy to defer any other items that can be easily accessed just now such as the alternator, wiring loom, dash retrim etc. I'd have effectively had to pay for the strip down labour again at a future date to gain access to these parts so I've consoled myself with the thought I've actually saved money in the long term. I'm still having trouble trying to believe it though

Hopefully the finished car will make it all worthwhile.

Makes perfect sense. With these cars you need to do it right from the outset. there are no "half" steps as I am learning as well. And as you are stripping and painting you might as well attack all the other bits where you now have access to! You have our full support Smiley

Just dont forget to keep the pictures coming Smiley

--
    Off enjoying my car...

Well the car has been made mobile ready to go to the paintshop on Monday. The rear window and door glass have all been removed along with various items of chrome trim. I saw the recovered dash on Thursday and it looks fantastic

There are more items that need replacing as it looks like some parts must have been hard to locate during previous restorations and some substitutes fitted. As there are far more copy pattern parts now on the market I'll be able to make the car more "original". I'm debating what shade of red to paint it as it's currently Rosso Corsa which wasn't an option when the Dino was in production. I'm waiting to receive a sample of Rosso Chiaro which was an original colour and pretty close to Corsa I think. The paintshop say they'll need it for around 3 weeks. Once they've finished the process of building it back up and sort out the cabin trim can begin.

iains 017.jpgiains 018.jpgiains 019.jpgiains 020.jpgiains 015.jpgiains 003.jpgiains 014.jpgiains 023.jpg

What a great project.

--

One thing you do realise when stripping down an older car like this is just why modern cars have become so much wider, longer and heavier. There is zero safety protection on this car. ... it really is just a simple frame clothed in thin steel and aluminium panels. As you can see from the photo's of the inside of the stripped out doors a side impact doesn't bear thinking about and the front and rear assembly has no form of crumple zones.

Safety has come a long way in the last 40 years.

ResB:

What a great project.

+1 ...Fantastic..Smiley

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

+2 .... keep the updates coming

John H:
    ResB:

What a great project.

+1 ...Fantastic..Smiley

+3 It's great to live through it vicariously with you Iain Smiley

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Rennteam signature photo 2.jpg

Now your interior looks like the F40

Iain, when do you estimate this projects completion? The festive season is coming up and I would imagine very little would get done during that time.

Mike S:

Now your interior looks like the F40

Iain, when do you estimate this projects completion? The festive season is coming up and I would imagine very little would get done during that time.

I should have turned it into a Dino Scuderia as it would have been simple to make some inner door panels in carbon fibre and to chuck a bit of chequer plate on the floor Smiley

If all goes to plan it should be completed in around 4-5 weeks. Some parts are on back order (windscreen, side windows, door seal and a few other bits and bobs) but I've been assured that I'll receive them all within 3 weeks. An interesting sidenote is that the glass was until recently produced by a company in South Africa. Apparently the owner used to have a Dino himself but couldn't find a replacement windscreen anywhere so decided to produce a batch himself. Unfortunately these have now all been sold and as he no longer owns the Dino he has lost interest in producing more I believe. Thankfully I've found an alternative source of supply in Germany.

That's great to hear. I love the speed of your project... It'll be almost completely restored by the end of the year. Well done mate, that's fantastic. Looking forward to the final pics

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

SmileySmileySmiley

--
    Happy Driving

That's very interesting to hear Smiley 

Glad you were able to find an alternative source!

Things slowed down a bit over the last few weeks as the bodyshop took the car in but then didn't start work on it for nearly 10 days due to a build up of accident work on other cars and staff illness. They are on the case now though and the various areas requiring repair have been taken back to bare metal and spot primed. The new metal has been let in to the near side rear wing and a small previous repair tidied up properly. These pics were taken yesterday and since then the rest of the car has had the paintwork flatted ready to have the new topcoat applied tomorrow. It should be back with my dealer to start being built back up next Tuesday.

SDC13184_1_1_1.JPGSDC13185_1_2_1.JPGSDC13186_1_3_1.JPGSDC13187_1_4_1.JPGSDC13188_1_5_1.JPGSDC13190_1_7_1.JPGSDC13193_1_10_1.JPGSDC13194_1_11_1.JPGSDC13196_1_13_1.JPG

ISUK - I was just thinking this morning that its been a while since we had an update on the Dino.

Looks great. Must say its my favourite Ferrari along with the 250 GT SWB and the GTS version of the Dino - all way out of my price range.

How long do they anticipate it will take to put it all back together and have it on the road?

--
    MY07 Cayman S, Basalt Black, Black

The fit out should take around a week to complete as there are a few extra jobs to be done whilst the car is being built back up in terms of fitting additional new parts. The trim shop want it for two days to fit the new Dynamat sound insulation to the floor,fit the new cabin and trunk carpets and retrim the vinyl door sill and A pillar covers. I'm still waiting on the new windscreen and door glass to arrive from Germany but if all goes to plan the car should be completed in just over 2 weeks.

I am surprised about the partial coverup of the bodypanels, I assume they are only used for repair and primer?

Ferdie:

I am surprised about the partial coverup of the bodypanels, I assume they are only used for repair and primer?

Yes, the car was taped up like this only for those localised repairs Ferdie. It has since been remasked around the window, door, engine and trunk apertures so that the whole body of the car is exposed and ready for painting.

Thanks for clarification as I was under the impression that the car receives a complete repaint.

Restoring a Beetle convertible this winter so I can fully understand your excitement! Smiley

Isuk,

It certainly is exciting to see a car with such timeless character and quality being restored with care.  I can't wait to see the final work!

Thanks for the updates!

I think EPIC is a good word, wouldn't you agree? 

Thanks for the encouragement guys. It should (fingers crossed) look really good when completed. Hopefully not too long to go now before the pics of the finished car

Congratulations for the nice and really rare car.

It's nice to se how passion can bring the human into lovely hand work. SmileySmileySmileySmiley

One think i learned in life: It's not how long the work takes but how the result looks once it's finished Smiley

--

GT3, Cooper S & CS

Enmanuel:

I think EPIC is a good word, wouldn't you agree? 

+1 Smiley

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Rennteam signature photo 2.jpgEasy RT Sig Pt 2.jpgEasy RT Sig Pt 3.jpg

The new paint is on It's being flatted back today and polished back up and the sills and front valance will get their satin black coat tomorrow. The build back up should commence on Wednesday. We're still awaiting some parts from Germany for it but they will hopefully arrive this week. Apologies for the quality of the pics but they were sent to me by the paintshop.

SDC13203_1.JPGSDC13210_8.JPGSDC13207_5.JPGSDC13216_14.JPGSDC13213_11.JPG

Nick,

If you're still following this thread and looking for a weekend toy that will give you real driving pleasure how about this stunning example which is in Scotts Valley, CA www.canepacollection.com/detail-1974-ferrari-246gts-dino-used-6401212.html

It should be a great long term investment as well (assuming it's being sold at a fair price).

Interestingly a lot of car designers own/have owned Dino's. Freeman Thomas who is currently at Ford (and was the designer of the original Audi TT and latest VW Beetle amongst others) owns one and posts fairly regularly on F Chat.

Its all coming together now  I confess every time I see a new post on this thread I get a little exited. Its such a rare project to be able to witness. 

I wished I had such a project in my garage! Great to see and it must be so much fun 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691157 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410237 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256270 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235429 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65757 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4747 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858874 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775188 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM