Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Porsche posting record numbers

During the fiscal year 2009/10, Porsche had a record turnaround with 7.79 bn € (up 17.9%). They increased profit by almost 18% to 7.8 million €, number of sold cars increased by 8.8% to 81,850 cars. (76,238 cars last year). They produced 89,123 cars, which is an 16.1 % increase compared to the previous year.

Sales by model:

Cayenne: 29,855 (down 12.9%, despite model change)
    Panamera: 20,615
    911: 19,663 (down 27.4 %)

Sales by region:

Europe: 1.4% up
    Germany: 3.5% down
    North America: 4.6% up (now  23,705 cars)
    China: 47% up (now 11,724 cars)

Re: Porsche posting record numbers

Does Europe as above, include Russia?

--

"Form follows function"

China: 47% up

And despite the negative talk from Porsche enthusiasts (like me), the Panamera outsold the 911 (with all its many variants).

It never ceases to amaze me how different the enthusiasts are from the mainstream customer base. PAG has to cater for all - not just for us

What were the Boxster and Cayman figures BTW?

BTW the figures don't appear to contain details for the Middle East and the rest of Asia. They must be big markets too.

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Rennteam signature photo 2.jpg

Impressive. With the Panamera coming on board in a new category, is that where most of the unit growth came from?

--

Winning through radical experimentation.

I got the numbers from a German press release, maybe some of you can find more information

www.porsche.com/germany/aboutporsche/pressreleases/

BTW, they also announced that Michael Macht will leave Porsche and enter the VW board, while Matthias Müller from VW will take over the helm at Porsche. (Effective October 1st)

My objective reporting ends right here: 

Carrageous:

Impressive. With the Panamera coming on board in a new category, is that where most of the unit growth came from?

20,000 x 120,000 € = estimated 2,4 bn € turnaround, that's more than the 1,1 bn € increase in turnaround they are now celebrating.

They will make their 100,000 goal once they introduce the smaller and cheaper 911.

The Panamera sales surprise me. I drove it for a day and did not find it anything special. I suspect people are buying it for the name.

--

There are plenty of people IMO who want a Porsche but whose family circumstances mean they wouldn't buy a 2 (or 2+2) seater car.

The Cayenne is a great family car with great winter capability. Others want a luxury family saloon and the Panamera gives them a real alternative. That seems to me to be one possible rationale. To dismiss it as just for the 'name' is wide of the mark IMO.

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

I think the Panamera sales show that Porsche knows their customers better than we do. 

My guess is that a lot of people driving upper class sedans in fact want a sports car, but they do not want to miss the luxury a sedan offers. They buy the Panamera. Then again, we are talking about around 20.000 cars for the whole world, that's hardly a mass market. 

I agree, the Panamera may not occupy a hugely populated niche but it deserves it recognition; you won't find many cars that size that handles like the Panamera, its interior is top notch, its confortable and fast, and its two-big-seat rear seat may be appealing to some. While brand image plays a role in this and its competitors as well, the Panamera can hold its own without it.

--

nberry:

The Panamera sales surprise me. I drove it for a day and did not find it anything special.

What was your point of reference? I've driven the S model last week and I was very impressed compared to anything from premium manufacturers as far as handling, brakes and ride (air suspension). The performance didn't amaze me only because I had that for granted.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    nberry:

The Panamera sales surprise me. I drove it for a day and did not find it anything special.

What was your point of reference? I've driven the S model last week and I was very impressed compared to anything from premium manufacturers as far as handling, brakes and ride (air suspension). The performance didn't amaze me only because I had that for granted.

You were very impressed with Panamera ride?SmileySmiley 

Desipite air suspension(PDCC and PTV) I found Panamera 4S to be way too stiff in sport mode and way too clumsy in comfort mode. Try new A8 for example-you will find it a class at least better in overall comfort then any Panamera. Same goes for PDK. It is very good for sporty driving but, in comfort area 8speed autobox in A8 is way better.

IMHO new A8, S-class and 7 series are for comfort oriented buyer much, much better choice.

BTW, my wife simply loves Panamera and wants one. Me? Not tempted at all.

I hear what you say but the Panamera S with air suspension and PDK I drove was excellent. Honestly it rode like a magic carpet and as far as our roads are concerned they are not the worst but also far from best in the world. It was a factory car with lots of hard use around the world, too. Could there be a difference between the 4S and the S? Or earlier examples were not as good? I don't know.

I don't doubt that A8 is a top car but I've not tried it. The Panamera S also gives the overall  impression of being in a performance car not a limousine,  which I liked.

--

"Form follows function"

We should compare the figures with the 2008 numbers based on the models which have been on the market (no Panamera)?

Point is, without Panamera, Porsche would be losing money.

I drove it for a full day.

To me the ride wasn't much better than the Cayenne. Also, there was a lag between depressing the throttle and response. The handling was not extraordinary. It is what I would expect from any premium sedan.

The interior was fine but not ultra luxurious. As I wrote earlier, nothing special.

--

nberry:

I drove it for a full day.

To me the ride wasn't much better than the Cayenne. Also, there was a lag between depressing the throttle and response. The handling was not extraordinary. It is what I would expect from any premium sedan.

The interior was fine but not ultra luxurious. As I wrote earlier, nothing special. 

What premium sedan do you drive daily?

--

"Form follows function"

Eunice:

BTW, they also announced that Michael Macht will leave Porsche and enter the VW board, while Matthias Müller from VW will take over the helm at Porsche. (Effective October 1st)

My objective reporting ends right here: 

The new image of Porsche management. Out of the office and into the race track

porsche.jpg

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

porsche.jpg

That is a statement. Are they implying that true gearheads are in management from now on...? Smiley

Ferdie:
    reginos:

porsche.jpg

That is a statement. Are they implying that true gearheads are in management from now on...? Smiley

It looks like it is a photoshop? Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

It's not! It's from the official Porsche web site...

Boyko23:

It's not! It's from the official Porsche web site...

They have photoshop at Porsche too, but my guess is that they can easily talk anyone into wearing a driver overall Smiley

I remember when Porsche-Jeck did the PSDS Performance course at Leipzig, one of the guest instructors was Dr Wendelin Wiedekin himself. And we all know that he was very much a businessman first and a gearhead second.

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

easy_rider911:

I remember when Porsche-Jeck did the PSDS Performance course at Leipzig, one of the guest instructors was Dr Wendelin Wiedekin himself. And we all know that he was very much a businessman first and a gearhead second.

I am more inclined to believe that it was his son, Wendelin Wiedeking jr.!

Smiley

Ferdie:
    easy_rider911:

I am more inclined to believe that it was his son, Wendelin Wiedeking jr.!

Smiley

Exactly Smiley

Though It would have been interesting to see W.W. senior climbing into the bucket seat of a GT3 Smiley

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

My apologies - thanks for correcting my mistake - I obviously remembered this story inaccurately  

--

RT Moderator 

easy_rider911:

My apologies - thanks for correcting my mistake - I obviously remembered this story inaccurately  

Last time I remember seeing Mr. Wendelin Wiedeking sen. getting out of a car, it was a Maybach.  Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764615 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436662 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261122 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258031 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82693 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5329 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877023 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809124 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM