Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Mini Countryman

I need a bench in the back so I can fit my 3 kids !!!  In that case it would definitly be an option as the city car for my wife

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

I would get this for my daughter...only problem is that she's only 9 years old right now.   I can imagine many people buying this thing for their kid(s) and wife(s) because it should be a nice and safe ride for the city, even in winter time.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M (03/2010), BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Good News for those who need a bench in the back, I read an artikel that says, it will be available as an option. Would be a good replacement for my wifes A3 Sportback?! Must see it in flash first, if the space/trunk is enough. But it looks so sexy, and the funny thing, I hated it the first time I saw it. Finally a mini with 4 doors.

Pentium:

Variable space thanks to individual rear seats moving fore-and-aft.

The rear seat bench with three seats extending from one side to the other and available at not extra cost likewise boasts this function, with the adjusting seat segments coming in a 60 : 40 split.

Eric and Avoe: Pentium has already posted that a rear bench with three seats is available as a no-cost option - pay attentionSmiley

But even if you go for three seats, could yo actually fit three people back there, not much space between these twoSmiley

2011-MINI-Countryman-11.jpg

--

10 PRINT "997.2 Carrera S rules"

20 GOTO 10

30 RUN

Sorry I didn't notice that info.

I would give it a try to sit in the middle if there would be 2 girls.

Hornestly, sure your right,but for a "wifes car", its always good to be able to fit 3 kids inside if needed. And for short city drives, I am sure, 3 adults would also fit if really necessery.

temm:
    Pentium:

Variable space thanks to individual rear seats moving fore-and-aft.

The rear seat bench with three seats extending from one side to the other and available at not extra cost likewise boasts this function, with the adjusting seat segments coming in a 60 : 40 split.

Eric and Avoe: Pentium has already posted that a rear bench with three seats is available as a no-cost option - pay attentionSmiley

But even if you go for three seats, could yo actually fit three people back there, not much space between these twoSmiley

I dit not see it either ... there is not much space left, that if for shure. If I can fit a 4 , 6 and 8 year old for the newt  2 or 3 years that would be great !!

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

The Mini is solid too. A van rear-ended our Mini Cooper S at a stop light, the driver had a speed of aprox. 30 kph when he crashed in our Mini (standing at a red light). Only the rear bar had to be changed and the rear trunk cover had to be re-painted. Very surprising.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M (03/2010), BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

temm:

That is one OLD iPod, come on RC have a laugh with me on this one Smiley

I'm interested in this car as well. Would be a nice daily drive, plus 4WD so you can take it into the mountains. 

It doesn't seem to have a build in navigation option ... no way I'm going to drive around with a portable navigation stuck to the windscreen!  

993Targa:

It doesn't seem to have a build in navigation option

You can get Navigation Business, in Germany it costs 1.950,00 Euro. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

That would make sense. Thnx Rossi 

I saw the Countryman end of July, even took it for a short ride, it was a pre-production car for some sort of dealer advertisement. It looks weird, like a pumped up Mini Cooper but it doesn't attract too much attention because it looks very similar to the Mini Cooper. The interior is almost the same and the car sits a bit higher on the road.

Overall, I don't know if the Countryman would be the right car for us. For aprox. 33000 EUR, the "S" version, the Countryman just doesn't offer enough but feels larger and less agile compared to the  Cooper S. I had a weird feeling.

This would probably be the car I would love my kids to drive with, when they have their driver's license but not necessarily the car I would want for me or my wife.

Not sure yet...maybe I'm ending up with one next year but so far, I think we are going to stick with the next gen Mini Cooper S instead.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Haven't seent it in the flesh, so not sure about the looks. But on paper; bit more space than the Mini, 4WD and in the Cooper S version ok power, it looks like an attractive package. Also like the friendly positive image Mini has. Know a few guys who drive this in the city instead of their SUVs just to avoid annoying behavior of other drivers.

I'm looking for a replacement for my 4 year old BMW 325i Touring. Other candidates are: Cayenne (S) - love it, but not sure about the negative image of big SUVs these days

Audi A4 (Allroad) - maybe a bit boring

Audi Q5 - like the car but I would rather go for the Cayenne

BMW 5 Touring - fully equiped quite expensive and then I would go for the Cayenne again 

Not sure what the Q5 and the Cayenne have in common, the Cayenne is much larger, especially from the inside, it just doesn't look that way. I would definitely take the Q5 in consideration, unless you have kids. The Q5 is fast, roomy and good looking but of course not quite cheap. A Cayenne however would cost even more money. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

I might have seen the same car as RC. The car has a different stance than the regular Mini and features a more upright seating position. To me, it is lacking some of the details of the regular Mini, which doesn´t have to be a bad thing but puts the car into a different target group.

11111111.jpg

222222.jpg

I discussed yesterday with my wife if we should get the countryman or the clubman. My wife wants a fun car to drive around. 

We do have 3 children, so I thought the countryman would get us some more space ( not to take the 3 together of course ) but I am worried it does not have the fun feeling of the other minis ??

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Three kids - don't take any of the Minis at all. Get for almost the same money a Golf GTI. We have a Mini Cooper S and it's our third car, we just use for small distances and even there it doesn't offer to much. If you go shopping forget right away taking the Mini as you don't have space to fit anything in the trunk except Grocery. If you pick up the kids from school they have to take their backpacks on their lap as they don't fit in the car. Driving is fun but as RC stated the front wheels drive is on the limit to put all the torque to the street. It's a fun car but I would say for a couple or single. I drive frequently with the train to my biz trips and there I take the car to leave it at the railway station, it's undercover , people don't scratch it out of jealousy what happened before with other cars I took there.

I actually got bored of the Mini Cooper S. The front wheel drive isn't too much fun, you can't really put all the turbo power/torque on the street, horrible. My daughter loves the Mini, she says it is cute and she wants one too later on when she is allowed to drive a car but honestly, I don't think I'm going to buy another Mini for us and I have TWO Minis, one for private and one for business use.

For over 30000 EUR, I have much more choices now than a couple of years ago. For this kind of money, I have some alternatives.

--

But the Countryman has 4WD, makes it an ideal wintercar. Must say I'm not convinced yet either. I'm afraid it will be too small. But I would test drive it in any case.

Lars997:
    Three kids - don't take any of the Minis at all. Get for almost the same money a Golf GTI. We have a Mini Cooper S and it's our third car, we just use for small distances and even there it doesn't offer to much. If you go shopping forget right away taking the Mini as you don't have space to fit anything in the trunk except Grocery. If you pick up the kids from school they have to take their backpacks on their lap as they don't fit in the car. Driving is fun but as RC stated the front wheels drive is on the limit to put all the torque to the street. It's a fun car but I would say for a couple or single. I drive frequently with the train to my biz trips and there I take the car to leave it at the railway station, it's undercover , people don't scratch it out of jealousy what happened before with other cars I took there.

It would be a 3rd car, just to do go into town for my wife, when she does not take the kids, or when she only takes one or two.

She just loooooves that car , and I can't argue about it. Actually I think she just loves the way she would look/feel in that car Smiley

Other alternative : BMW 135 , New Audi A1, or  S3, new Alfa Guiletta ....

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Get her wish and then order a 991 :) 

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

I saw one yesterday on the street, and than another one in the parking lot of a Mini Dealer.

I must say, in real life it looks great, and quite "big" for a mini. I must see it a couple more time, to make my final decission about the looks, but so far so good. ;-) In my opinion this car looks much more like a SUV than the X1, because it little higher, and the porpotions are nicer. The X1 it just to low for the wheel arches that are really big, and the long nose. Of course the S version with all4 is the only one I would buy. Than maybe add some JCW tuning Kit, and its a stylish and "mini city suv gocart". And hey, most important, its the first mini with a trunk.  

Here you have some pix.

1284461410118IMAG0146.jpgIMAG0147.jpgIMAG0148.jpgIMAG0149.jpgIMAG0150.jpgIMAG0151.jpgIMAG0152.jpg

I have to admit that car looks good! @Gil - it's for sure a fun car! Actually it was the same with us. My wife wished one and as I always wanted to have a Mini too I just fulfilled that wish ;). On the other hand side the Clubman has a bit more space, so the usage is for sure higher than on ours. Further on, the whole car is less expensive as the extras you put into a Porsche :) I told myself couple of times that I sell our Mini because we don't use it, but at the end I kind of have emotions to that tiny car. So far I'll keep it

cardesignnews review:

A Mini trait that is most welcomely retained in the first-rate selection of colors, trims and materials. Quality is superb. The plastics are a well-judged mix of slush-moulded and harder grades, all displaying a polystyrene-like texture that's so much more appealing than faux leather grain, without the tolerance nightmares of a more regular, technical grain. [...]

The result is a quirky, slightly over-styled, but special cabin.

Overall, the Countryman manages to make a four-meter crossover feel like a genuine Mini. Those familiar with the other models in the range will appreciate the same superb visibility, the high quality and the driving dynamics. And they will be amazed by the packaging, which makes this a very useable young family car. It's a completely logical introduction to the range and provides an option for customers who would have otherwise looked elsewhere.

What I don't like about our Mini Cooper S: the interior doesn't look like the interior of a 33000 EUR car. Don't forget that for this kind of money, you can already buy a VW Tiguan.

Our next Mini will be very likely a cheaper version with Diesel engine...if we decide to go for a Mini again. 

--

100% agree RC. You can get a decent Golf GTI for the same price!

Saw the Countryman live on the road this week. First I didn't realise, just thought it was a Mini Cooper, until I noticed that the headlights were different. Still a small car, too small for my needs. Other than that it looked good, will be a succes IMO.

I'm going to drive one, hopefully the Cooper S, early October. Going to tell you my first impressions.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    808762 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    450345 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267681 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90915 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7813 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

888399 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    837562 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM