Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche 991 GT3 to include GT1 motorsport engine... Thread Closed

Rossi:

Well, a Panamera-like interior is no surprise, is it? 

Concerning the new look, I'm not so into this Vertu-style-button layout in the centre console. It's alright for a car like the Panamera, but I don't really need it in a 911. That there is dual climate control is nice, though I realised I hardly ever have those two switches on different settings, especially it is a relatively compact car. The loss of the mechanical parking brake is the "merit" of today's electronics. I don't like that feature very much, I have it in the 458 and think it is absolutely useless.

So far I think the 991 will bring us an expected new look in the interior, for me this new look is more "different" than "better" compared to the 997. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

+1  I chose the 997 because it is a reasonably close modern approximation to the traditional look and spirit of the 911.  The 991 will continue to move the 911 concept further away from the original.  Different yes, Better depends on POV. 

--

Carpe Diem--life is but a crack of light bounded by eternities of darkness (Nabokov)

Smiley

991 misha.jpg

Carlos from Spain:
    MKSGR:
    Carlos from Spain:

wow, liking the center console very much! 

Looks pretty much high-quality Smiley

Exactly! the 997 interior console and dash never stood out in quality, it was OK, but nothing you didn't see in a Merc Class B nowadays ...

What is 'quality'? The level of craftsmanship? the layout? the materials?

I think that there is no lack of quality in the 997.2. The 996 had poor plastics and the 997.1 volcano gray stuff, but that is mostly gone on the 997.2. I think that the combination of leather and the black painted PCM in the 997.2 looks just right.

A Panamera-like console fits the Panamera. It may be what new bling-driven buyers want for  the 911 but it detracts from the simplicity the cockpit of a sports car should be.

--

A. Dias --- 997.2S. Previous cars: Corvette C6,  996 C4.

ADias:
    Carlos from Spain:
    MKSGR:
    Carlos from Spain:

wow, liking the center console very much! 

Looks pretty much high-quality Smiley

Exactly! the 997 interior console and dash never stood out in quality, it was OK, but nothing you didn't see in a Merc Class B nowadays ...

What is 'quality'? The level of craftsmanship? the layout? the materials?

I think that there is no lack of quality in the 997.2. The 996 had poor plastics and the 997.1 volcano gray stuff, but that is mostly gone on the 997.2. I think that the combination of leather and the black painted PCM in the 997.2 looks just right.

A Panamera-like console fits the Panamera. It may be what new bling-driven buyers want for  the 911 but it detracts from the simplicity the cockpit of a sports car should be.

In 997.2 the interior indeed improved vs the 997.1 just like the 996.2 over the 996.1, but the quality of the plastics employed, the feel of the swithes and buttons, was still "ordinary" and no amount of leather would hide that. Not that I ever minded too much as long as the 911 delivers its performance and handling, but it doesn't hurt to improve it. Also being inside the 997's interior for over 100,000km now, its starting to look outdated now. 

I don't see the Panamera like interior as more bling, quite the contrary its more funtional now, which is the opposite of bling. Lets not confuse more quality looks and design with bling, just like leather interior in a sportcar is not bling, nor is Bentley or AM bling cars. Imagine you want to choose between different Sportchrono settings in combination with PSM and differential settings... would you preffer having to scroll through menus to arrive at the setting and change it, or just flip a switch in the console just when you need it while you are driving?. And the only way to achieve this is by this new layout as opposed to BMW of Mercedes for example... who have a more "simple" layout in favor of looks instead of function, and sportcar's interiors have always been about function, its just that nowadays they have more funtions and configurability of those functions than in the past hence the need for more buttons.

--

Ferdie:
    nick1:

i wonder what that central rocker switch is for (the one if front of the pdk gear lever)?

Looks like the rocker switch for the ventilation fan.

no, i ment the one in the middle. Cant be for the fan, because of the dual climate zones they are two of them.

nick1:
    Ferdie:
    nick1:

i wonder what that central rocker switch is for (the one if front of the pdk gear lever)?

no, i ment the one in the middle. Cant be for the fan, because of the dual climate zones they are two of them.

We are referring to the same one. Fan speed´d be controlled for both sides, it is only the temperature that is controlled separately. Next to the fan switch one finds the buttons for seat heating and ventilation, temperature control etc. next to the display one column above.

Ferdie:
    nick1:
    Ferdie:
    nick1:

We are referring to the same one. Fan speed´d be controlled for both sides, it is only the temperature that is controlled separately. Next to the fan switch one finds the buttons for seat heating and ventilation, temperature control etc. next to the display one column above.

i think the ventilation switches are located more to the sides of the switch mix. Left and right of the small display.

Carlos from Spain:

I don't see the Panamera like interior as more bling, quite the contrary its more funtional now, which is the opposite of bling. Lets not confuse more quality looks and design with bling, just like leather interior in a sportcar is not bling, nor is Bentley or AM bling cars. Imagine you want to choose between different Sportchrono settings in combination with PSM and differential settings... would you preffer having to scroll through menus to arrive at the setting and change it, or just flip a switch in the console just when you need it while you are driving?. And the only way to achieve this is by this new layout as opposed to BMW of Mercedes for example... who have a more "simple" layout in favor of looks instead of function, and sportcar's interiors have always been about function, its just that nowadays they have more funtions and configurability of those functions than in the past hence the need for more buttons.

The problem with this new center console are not the many buttons. Those are necessary as you say. I would not want a 'idrive' . Buttons are what is needed for functuality. 

The problem is the size and the shape of the console. It has the shape off  the consoles in big luxury sedan/''sport'' cars . It does not go into a small nimble sports car. I like to have space around my elbows, not hit a high center console . I liked the 'minimalist' interior look of the current cars. Nothing is in the way. 

This center console seems also not adapted to a manual gear shift. One can touch the many buttons around when changing gears.....but maybe manual will not even be an option anymore Smiley 

The chrome ado does not belong in the 911...... 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Misha,
    I noticed the same thing, the direction light seems to be recessed way far behind the camouflage.
    To me, this is thé moment to release a  "car in shell" theory!

Just kidding mate, but it sure is curious!

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

I am sorry but I don't understand why in hell you need so many switches when the car has a TOUCH screen! Porsche engineers don't use iphones at all? Never saw one?

Such high/intrusive/massive consoles have no place in a sport car, period. BUT they are OK in a GT... Smiley So... bye, bye the 911 I love so much... Smiley

--

There is no try. Just do.

Misha011:

Smiley

991 misha.jpg

Misha, don't let those headlights fool you, they are stil heavily camouflaged. Smiley

--

Pentium:

I am sorry but I don't understand why in hell you need so many switches when the car has a TOUCH screen! Porsche engineers don't use iphones at all? Never saw one?

That's exactly the point. Smiley

The touch screen in the 997.2 works perfectly, navigation for example is much, much easier to program than with the "satellite" knobs in the 458. Still you don't have too many switches in the 997.2, air condition, PASM setting, seat heating/ventilation if you like and that's it already. I like it this way. Smiley

--

Joost & Rossi ,

if you agree , I can call this 'cocoon theory 991'   Smiley     

The posted interior shot got somebody at Porsche in some trouble but thats a different story. 

Fact is: the 991 interior looks great, I just wish Porsche would have used a slightly more classic approach to the Panamera/Cayenne interior adaptation. The same interior for all three models could "bite" Porsche in the ass in the end. I also don't like that much "silver" in the interior, never liked this on a sports car. Of course Exclusive wants to sell their leather/carbon/wood (ouch) packages but still...

As to the exterior: the 991 is going to be slightly longer with a slightly larger rear passenger space, which I kind of like. I don't know why people think that the 911 is going GT all over, this isn't true. The next 911 generation, the 991, will set a new performance benchmark on the track and for the power these cars deliver, on the street too. You rarely see a 400+ HP car on the market with that kind of comfort and at the same time that unbelievable performance. Just wait and see... Of course the 991 won't be a Lotus Elise but I guess the 911 never was in the past 20 years.

As to the GT3/GT2 models: of course there will be a 991 GT3 which will be sportier and more track oriented. So what ? This is how the 911 world works and worked in the past.

@Misha011: no, not looking like that (I'm a horrible tease, am I ?! ).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

yup... I am with your RC. I also like the interior compared to what we have now. And dont find the center console wide as some had stated. I like the raised profile of the console too... look at the Carrera GT and McLaren. I only wish Porsche would remove the two turn knobs which control the selection on the PCM. Those are useless... I've never touched them since the introduction of the touchscreen

--

997.2 PDK C2S

997.1 Tip C2S

14 cars, 2 boats and counting...

What I really like is that the board starts feeling alive again!

The arrival of a new car gives a lot of excitment to all of the community!

It reminds me a few years before when I have bought mine.

!

Misha011:

Joost & Rossi ,

Ok! I've been training hard. I'm ready! Bring on the PS's.1285305571153cool.gif

RC:

@Misha011: no, not looking like that (I'm a horrible tease, am I ?! ).

If you are right , THEY should make them like this - while there is a time  Smiley  Going to much Panamera / Cayenne head lights style would be ???? for 911

1285326472523991 misha.jpg

Wheel spacers would be a must at the rear

Misha011:

Joost & Rossi ,

You've got my vote!  icon_popcorn.gif   Smiley

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Spyderidol:
    Misha011:

Joost & Rossi ,

Ok! I've been training hard. I'm ready! Bring on the PS's.1285305571153cool.gif

991 misha 01.jpg

oh oh I know !! I can see the open intake now !   man I think thats the first time I've ever noticed one of Mishas PS right away 

Yup! 1285349075104yup.gif I can see my training has paid off.

what about this... quickly done in MS paint lol

991sketch.jpg

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Spyderidol:

Yup! 1285349075104yup.gif I can see my training has paid off.

Can you help with LED - what shape , size it could be .  I am a bit Smiley

991 misha 011.JPG

RC:

....  Of course the 991 won't be a Lotus Elise but I guess the 911 never was in the past 20 years.

The 911 has grown tremendously and with the 991 it grows even more, and grows in the wrong areas (wheelbase). Yes, you can have a fantastic performer these days with that girth, but I rather have a leaner machine. Populations are getting obese and cars too. Smiley

--

Atzporsche:

991sketch.jpg

With its rounded front hood the 991 has the current, EU-pedestrian-law-driven, pregnant look. Smiley

--

ADias:
    Atzporsche:

991sketch.jpg

With its rounded front hood the 991 has the current, EU-pedestrian-law-driven, pregnant look. Smiley

I still haven't gotten used to the mirrors sticking out of the dorrs like that Smiley

--

Carlos from Spain:
    ADias:
    Atzporsche:

I still haven't gotten used to the mirrors sticking out of the dorrs like that Smiley

The reflection of the base that holds the actual mirror doesn't help either, makes it look even more out of place.

Great looking interior, exactly what I was expecting. Two notes.

1 - The PDK gear change screen is finaly on the right place, that is, in the rev counter, instead of the speedo like the current cars. But the screen size is still too small, they should make the same size Ferrari has on their cars.

2 - This car has already + 23.000km...Porsche is proper testing their mules Smiley

J.Seven

CAR magazine UK reported that Porsche is preparing 2.2L flat four for the 991. (Read the last sentence in the first article)jagxeseries.jpg

Anyone with more info ?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776185 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441149 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262464 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260650 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85000 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5450 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880160 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815193 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM