Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Carrera GTS: Porsche 911 Now Even Sportier

Cornering Lights option now added to my spec.... thanks Lukas..

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

John, add CEE and CEF. Minimal additional cost for these nice touches.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

I looked for those two items when you mentioned them in a previous post, but couldn't find either of them in the UK configurator..Smiley

Perhaps you could direct me?

I really appreciate all the help you and everyone else is offering...Smiley

--

Anyone going to the Paris Motor Show..

Would love to hear how the GTS looks in the flesh..

--

RC:

If you want to buy the GTS, try to make a good deal. Don't let dealers take you for a fool. Smiley 911 sales have slowed down and dealers need to move more cars.

The dealers here have a new program where they will knock $1000 off of a 2010 911, AND pay up to 3 years of your current Porsche lease/finance to get you into the new car. They have dropped their interest rates 2 points as well. All of this would have been unheard of in 'normal' times.They are obviously hurting for sales.

Great spec John. Do you plan on using winter tires for this car? The only thing I would consider would be standard wheels if I had another set of wheels to consider. Other than that,

John H:
    reginos:

I looked for those two items when you mentioned them in a previous post, but couldn't find either of them in the UK configurator..Smiley

Perhaps you could direct me? 

The UK configurator doesn't have all the "Exclusive" options. I checked on the German site and these options are still available under option codes CEE and CEF.

No pictures there but let me describe them:

The rear footwell lighting (CEE) consists on 2 LED lights (the size of the front footwell lights under the dash) located left and right on the vertical carpeted panel below the rear seats. They illuminate together with the rest of interior lighting when you open the doors or operate the light switch.

The Door pocket lights (CEF) are also small LED lights that illuminate the door pockets storage space when you open the lid to facilitate locating things stored. They light up only when there is little or no ambient lighting.

The P Centre will have the details when you mention the codes. They cost some 250 Euro each.

--

"Form follows function"

JoeRockhead:

Great spec John. Do you plan on using winter tires for this car? The only thing I would consider would be standard wheels if I had another set of wheels to consider. Other than that,

Thanks Joe... winter tyres are pretty much unheard of in the UK, so not a problem in choosing the RS Spyder wheels..Smiley

In the event of unusually severe weather conditions we tend to use the wife's car..Smiley 

--

John H:
    JoeRockhead:

In the event of unusually severe weather conditions we tend to use the wife's car..Smiley 

Smiley

--

fritz

John H:
    JoeRockhead:

Thanks Joe... winter tyres are pretty much unheard of in the UK, so not a problem in choosing the RS Spyder wheels..Smiley

Smiley

MKSGR:

100% agree. Alcantara steering wheel is not the best choice. All other Alcantara applications work well though (seats etc.).

I actually love Alcantara, especially the steering wheel because it provides a better grip than leather. It is a matter of personal taste however, not everybody likes Alcantara. I have a friend who has a general obsession against Alcantara, really weird.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

I love Alcantara, as well. Had it in one car and it was the nicest interior material ever. 

But what I HATE is getting busy with work and life and forgetting to check in with Rennteam, thus missing a big story like this. I feel like the GTS is a "missing link" in the line up, a choice for those who want something between a CS2 and a GT3. 

I'd love to see them continue it in the 991 line as a regular offering. The wide body is great looking but I never needed the four wheel drive. So I like seeing this option.

And I'm a sucker for the 911 in white. Two of my three have been white, really just by chance.

--

Winning through radical experimentation.

Interesting that it's featured on the Porsche USA site but not on the Configurator yet. 

Does that suggest a later release date in North America?

--

If you want one, you may want to talk to your local dealer now. The 991 is just around the corner (next spring ?), I don't think that the GTS will be around for too long. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

I agree. I think they'll sell out fast and I also think they'll be a little more collectible.

But, for now, I'm happy with what I have and not likely to make a change for a couple of years. And, in all honesty, I expect that change is more likely to be in the direction of a GT3.

A white one with an Alcantara interior, preferably!

--

Many congrats John Smiley

I think this is a really smart choice Smiley

I too remember how disappointed you were when your proposed purchase of the other car fell through - so it feels to me like PAG introduced a new model just for you Smiley Smiley So, everything worked out great in the end Smiley

I really like your proposed spec BTW Smiley Other guys here have already done a terrific job of pointing out tweaks/improvements. I can't add more to that.

Your spec looks very much like that of a guy who has already owned a 911 and knows exactly what he wants next time round Smiley

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Rennteam signature photo 2.jpg

Looking at what John H is doing - buying the end-of-lifecycle product with all the wrinkles ironed out and with a great set of options included at a superb price - it's a really smart move IMO

It reminds me of a guy I sometimes see (when I am walking home) driving a 911 in Canary Wharf

When I first saw him, he was driving a fully loaded basalt black 996.2 Turbo S with PCCBs and yellow seat belts etc. He looked to be a man of mature years and good taste.

Very recently, I saw him again. This time, he was driving a fully loaded basalt black 997.2 Turbo S with PCCBs and yellow seat belts. He looked a little older - but just as happy

Many years ago, my dad bought a Mercedes-Benz 190E 1.8 Auto LE. The Limited Edition version was bulletproof. All the options thrown in Smiley It was a reliable and great car - I still miss driving it Smiley My dad still misses it even though he now has a 320 CLK Smiley

There is clearly a market in selling an end-of-lifecycle product for people who are not interested in having the latest, flashy thing - they want to subtly enjoy a product that has been tested (and improved) by other people's ownership experiences and which PAG has refined to the point where it offers the best overall package it can offer.

Sure, the 991 will no doubt be a big step up in technology but do remember how the launch 997.1 models were compared to the 997.2 Carrera GTS. There's plenty of evolution there too. After all, the 997 launch models came out in Autumn 2004!! No doubt there will be plenty of evolution during the lifecycle of the 991 too Smiley

So, from a marketing point of view, it's easy to scoff at the Carrera GTS as being a parts bin emptying exercise designed to keep up sales (and prolong the life) of the model range until the 991 comes out. However, from a customer ownership point of view, it's a great buy IMO.

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Congrats John, your spec looks the business and I guess you can't go wrong with the GTS in that colour. It's a car you can keep for a long time until the 991 reaches its mid-cycle.  By the way if any of you is interested in a Black 2005 Carrera GT please let me know, the car is in super condition and has two-tone leather, no accidents and ready to be shipped anywhere in the world Smiley

Boy am i looking forward to your pics, John!

Congratulations John. Your car will be a very special one, not many will be seen around , making it a future ' collectable ' ( ? ) 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

Congratulations John. Your car will be a very special one, not many will be seen around , making it a future ' collectable ' ( ? ) 

+1 great combo John, congrats Smiley

easy_rider911:

Looking at what John H is doing - buying the end-of-lifecycle product with all the wrinkles ironed out and with a great set of options included at a superb price - it's a really smart move IMO

Yes, indeed. Especially since I also think that the GTS will retain a much better value than for example the regular Carrera S model. Much better doesn't necessarily mean 20 or 30% better but in this price class, even 5-10% can be a lot of money.

--

Great news, John - very smart buy indeed. Many congrats on the decision Smiley I'm sure the extra sportiness will make the GTS a very special Carrera. On paper the GTS seems to be the best of both worlds in terms of comfort and sportiness Smiley

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

I finalised my spec' with the OPC today..

The car should arrive at the dealer in late December but still not sure of the registration date.  Porsche have declared the vehicle to be a 2011 launch, which suits me fine so long as I don't have to pay the extra VAT involved. 

They (both dealer and manufacturer) are hoping that the car can be paid for at the end of December and registered on 4th January as the New Year holidays fall on a week-end.  That would mean payment at the existing rate of VAT with registration and delivery on 4th January.

I managed to get Reginos' suggestion of CEE & CEF lighting options included, but dropped Voice Control on the advice of the dealer.  I also managed to exclude the 3rd year warranty up-front as a 2 year extension will be cheaper... if and when the time comes.

Final Specification is...

Spec for GTS.jpg

I must admit the trade-in value quoted on my existing car is short of my expectations, but they have indicated a desire to "keep me happy" when the deal is concluded.... we'll see..

There will be a Demo mock-up of the vehicle on display at the OPC on 27th October which I will attend and obviously take some photos.

They have already given me my invitation to the up-dated 'Porsche Driving Experience' at Silverstone which I'll take up in the new year.

Any further observations would be gratefully received...

The wait begins....

--

John, congrats with the order You'll be one happy Porsche owner.

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

I guess they call that the Porsche Diet.

All the best, great choice

I suppose you must consider yourself lucky now, that  the white 4S was sold.

--

"Form follows function"

Nice one John!1285826828556cheers.gif

Great ..and the price is so good. I paid for my 997 S , £ 112'000, taking todays exchange rate with the £  !!!!

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

That's great John - many congrats

BTW what was the reason the OPC gave for not choosing voice control?

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    755678 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431752 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258906 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255984 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79973 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5266 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

869036 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    803161 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM