Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

I saw a 458 for the first time on the road

yesterday. It was driving toward me. I was uncertain as to whether it was a 355 of 612 until I saw the headlights. It had a wonderful sound. However, I was unimpressed with its presence on the road. It did not have the WOW factor that I usually get from mid-engine Ferrari's.

No doubt it is a terrific performance car but honestly it did not fire the Ferrari passion I usually have. Maybe it is because of so many years of Ferrari ownership my mind has become immune to the brand.I have been wrestling with what I would do when my dealer called me early next year. Do I order one or not? I now know at least for now, owning a Ferrari is not what I want to do.

As a result, I informed my dealer not to call me until I call them. 

--

Re: I saw a 458 for the first time on the road

That was a quick desition... maybe a test drive will change your mind? 

--

"It did not have the WOW factor that I usually get from mid-engine Ferrari's." Smiley

Same problem here. And the weight and size. Too much money for what you get.

--

There is no try. Just do.

Pentium:

"It did not have the WOW factor that I usually get from mid-engine Ferrari's." Smiley

I was a bit shocked to see a 360 Modena an a 512TR side by side today: the 512 looked small and compact in comparison... Cars get bigger and bigger from generation to generation Smiley

Carlos from Spain:

That was a quick desition... maybe a test drive will change your mind? 

Carlos, I believe there is more going on with me. My zeal for expensive high performance cars has considerably waned. I find very little opportunity to use what these cars can provide. The laws against high speed driving/racing are very severe. Also, should someone be injured it will mean jail time.Smiley

The track is the place to drive these cars. However, I have little appetite to spend over $250,000 to drive the car on a track. The Turbo is my wife's car and she enjoys it immensely as I do. Nevertheless, but for her, I probably would get rid of it. Maybe I am just getting old or there is nothing out there that really grabs me.Smiley

--

... or maybe just "been there, done that"

--

Slow In, Fast Out

Time to be an adult with a nice car, not johnny jumpsuit, arguing tenths of a second on some far-away track.

You need a car that is a pleasure to look at, listen to and drive at decent speeds, that doesn't require you to act like you just had 5 cups of espresso. A luxury GT. Comfort, sound, looks, and speed when/if you need it. That can be a 997turbo or others although it doesn't sound like it for you.

Here you go

The main problem in North America is that you really can't use much of the performance offered by these cars. Therefore, IMO, besides liking a cars style/looks, it is important to enjoy driving the car at any/all speeds. The car should provide a good feeling from the moment you start the engine. The sound, slight vibration, how the engine reacts to throttle inputs or how it feels as it starts generating power, how it reaches its redline etc. Ditto for transmissions - the more delay or innacuracy in their reaction the less pleasure one gets. Handling/braking characteristics, steering accuracy and other aspects are also very important. But the heart of a car is its engine, IMO.

Unless one enjoys street racing, a car length or two, or how many seconds more it takes around the Ring really makes no difference at all.

As for the 458 - the Ferrari showroom here in Manhattan has been displaying a white version for some time, which I didn't like at all. After seeing a red one drive by yesterday, I'm now convinced that the styling just doesn't do it for me. 

I've recently returned to high performance motorcyles, which can be utilized much more than cars. I would never dare the same speeds in my Turbo. A car is much more visible and takes up more road space. With a bike, you can hide behind cars, have much more room when passing other vehicles and can use limited space for emergencies. The acceleration and braking offered by my bike are near impossible for any car. Its ABS and traction control also improve my safety margins. Many racing drivers ride bikes for similar reasons - see Michael Shumacher, for example. He has a fleet of bikes. There is no feeling like it.

Yes, motorbikes are more dangerous but that is life. So is doing 275km/h in an SUV with your whole family, skiing, bicycling etc. 

--

997TT Blk/Blk,  BMW K1300GT

racerx:

Time to be an adult with a nice car, not johnny jumpsuit, arguing tenths of a second on some far-away track.

You need a car that is a pleasure to look at, listen to and drive at decent speeds, that doesn't require you to act like you just had 5 cups of espresso. A luxury GT. Comfort, sound, looks, and speed when/if you need it. That can be a 997turbo or others although it doesn't sound like it for you.

Here you go

Pleasure to look at?????

I don't know what planet are you from, but The Italia is all of the above and then some!!

With a Dark color it can be very suitable for an adult.
    Do yourself a favor and go drive one so you can see for yourself how comfortable it is. Or ask Iain or Dimitri!!

pics or ban

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

koko:
    racerx:

Here you go

Pleasure to look at?????

I don't know what planet are you from, but The Italia is all of the above and then some!!

With a Dark color it can be very suitable for an adult.
    Do yourself a favor and go drive one so you can see for yourself how comfortable it is. Or ask Iain or Dimitri!!

Are you referring to what you perceive is my view of the 458 or my definite view of the DBS.

The planet I'm from is the one where AM is widely regarded by the majority on most forums as producing the most attractive/luxurious vehicles. As for the 458's look - I was referencing Nick and Pentiums dim view of the 458, not my impression.Smiley I believe your comment is directed at them. See my now bolded comment above.

But personally I find a small confining cabin and very upright driving position less than relaxing. I do not like driving mid-engined cars for that reason, any of them. I also enjoy creature comforts. But I did post the six 458's on ramp video in Iains thread a couple days ago for all to enjoy the sound, did you watch it?Smiley

The DBS is an ok car. I find it over priced and don't get me started on the resale value

I think a Bentley GT is a better choice!! Or maybe the SLS.

Nick is in Porsche land right now.I do know that He's a big Ferrari fan and i'm sure he'll back for either the 458 Scuderia or the Italia replacement

The 458 is a surprisingly comfortable and relaxed car for a long drive. As to it's looks they are subjective. Personally to my eyes it's by far the best design to have come out of Ferrari/Pinifarina in many years but like a lot of cars some people need time to adjust to the styling. There are some for example who are only now getting to grips with the 11 year old 360 design and starting to call it beautiful.

Nick,

Perhaps you should consider a classic model instead of the latest thing. You'll get more driving involvement/enjoyment at far lower speeds and have a solid investment as well. I've been considering buying a 246 Dino for some time as I've always loved the styling of that car. It was the beginning of the mid engined model line for Ferrari and is such a compact, flowing shape. I sat alongside one for several miles on the M25 yesterday afternoon in my Cali on my way home from the Goodwood Revival event. It's is tiny in comparison to the Cali but looks fantastic on the road.

SmileySmiley

1.jpg7.jpg6.jpg

ISUK:

The 458 is a surprisingly comfortable and relaxed car for a long drive. As to it's looks they are subjective. Personally to my eyes it's by far the best design to have come out of Ferrari/Pinifarina in many years but like a lot of cars some people need time to adjust to the styling. There are some for example who are only now getting to grips with the 11 year old 360 design and starting to call it beautiful.

I can wholeheartedly agree, it is quite a departure from the predecessor´s design. In retrospective, the technical looking Ferraris such as Enzo and 458 do not receive as much praise as other variants.

for discussion/comparison sake (posted in OT by skazzy)and I like the 458 but have not seen 1 in person so will have to wait for final impression.

And a nice video showing how a relaxed drive will still have great sound at low engine revs, whereas most Fcars need some hefty revs before you start to enjoy the sound even on the 599 GTO, a great GT.  It's relaxed GT touring vs. always on pure sports car.

FFaust:

... or maybe just "been there, done that"

That certainly is a big part of my decision. I have climbed the mountain, enjoyed the view and it is now time to come back down since the view no longer entices me.

Iain, your suggestion is a good one IF it was related to a Porsche. Buying an older Ferrari is tantamount to opening your wallet in a hurricane and watching the paper money fly with the wind. 

For several years I have slowly begun to realize that I am paying a lot of money for something I do not nor can I use. The realization came after Ben's death. It could have easily been in the car with Ben. I opted out at the last minute.

Since that time I have become much more circumspect in my driving. This is coming from a guy who two weeks before his death was chasing him on a California freeway, he in his CGT and I in his Stradale doing well over 165 mph.

I think back and shutter over the lack of judgment. NEVER AGAIN!Smiley

--

mp:

The main problem in North America is that you really can't use much of the performance offered by these cars. Therefore, IMO, besides liking a cars style/looks, it is important to enjoy driving the car at any/all speeds. The car should provide a good feeling from the moment you start the engine. The sound, slight vibration, how the engine reacts to throttle inputs or how it feels as it starts generating power, how it reaches its redline etc. Ditto for transmissions - the more delay or innacuracy in their reaction the less pleasure one gets. Handling/braking characteristics, steering accuracy and other aspects are also very important. But the heart of a car is its engine, IMO.

Unless one enjoys street racing, a car length or two, or how many seconds more it takes around the Ring really makes no difference at all.

As for the 458 - the Ferrari showroom here in Manhattan has been displaying a white version for some time, which I didn't like at all. After seeing a red one drive by yesterday, I'm now convinced that the styling just doesn't do it for me. 

I've recently returned to high performance motorcyles, which can be utilized much more than cars. I would never dare the same speeds in my Turbo. A car is much more visible and takes up more road space. With a bike, you can hide behind cars, have much more room when passing other vehicles and can use limited space for emergencies. The acceleration and braking offered by my bike are near impossible for any car. Its ABS and traction control also improve my safety margins. Many racing drivers ride bikes for similar reasons - see Michael Shumacher, for example. He has a fleet of bikes. There is no feeling like it.

Yes, motorbikes are more dangerous but that is life. So is doing 275km/h in an SUV with your whole family, skiing, bicycling etc. 

Sound like you picked up the new S1000RR. Smiley

How do you like it?

--

...the only thing stopping you in all likelihood, is you!

MKSGR:
    Pentium:

I was a bit shocked to see a 360 Modena an a 512TR side by side today: the 512 looked small and compact in comparison... Cars get bigger and bigger from generation to generation Smiley

That's because people are getting bigger from generation to generation. Car designers have to design with the idea in mind that as a population, we're growing in all dimensions (width and height).

Additionally, the prime market for these cars tends to be American where it's a well known fact that we're not so concerned with fitting nicely into a fitted Canali suit. Smiley

--

...the only thing stopping you in all likelihood, is you!

well ..everywhere it is hard to drive fast, but what I hear from friends in USA it is almost impossible???? is it so bad???

here in italy, nowadays it is tougher, but there are certain highways where there are almost no control, where you can do a flat out, but that is not so funny. You have beautiful mountains roads like the one from bologna to firenze ( where the 1000 miglia passes) where there is almost an gentlemen agreement between riders and police. in the small cities there are speed cameras and lot of police and you MUST drive 50 kmh, outside in the curves ,,have fun!! I do it a lot of times on sunday mornings...it is so funny to catch up a race with the ducatis......and then stop at the top af the "Futa" and at the bar have a coffe and talk bullshit about cars and bikes...... It sound like that is what you miss in the USA??????

--
    993 c2

A black 458 came up on me from behind while I was driving the turbo. I was doing about 70 mph. I put the car into sport plus pulled over so he would alongside of me hoping to have a little fun. It was a no go on his part. 

Anyone buying a 458 DO NOT get it in black. It was very difficult to see the lines of the car. But for the headlights, I had difficulty determining it was a Ferrari let alone a 458.

--

nberry:

Anyone buying a 458 DO NOT get it in black. It was very difficult to see the lines of the car. But for the headlights, I had difficulty determining it was a Ferrari let alone a 458.

Interesting...I may then finally get a Ferrari....a 458 in black. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

There are many who prefer the 458 in black, in fact there are quite some Ferraristi for whom black seems to be the only colour in which this car should be ordered.

I'm with Nick on this one, the 458 looks good in any colour I've seen so far, but black is the most unfarvourable of them all. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

nberry:

For several years I have slowly begun to realize that I am paying a lot of money for something I do not nor can I use.

Not only are cars becoming faster, but they seem to require their owners to drive them faster in order to extract any enjoyment.  This is one reason I really enjoy my Lotus...it's always entertaining.  Though, the car has its own safety problems due to size.  A lot of people like the new Boxster Spyder for the same reason.

Best,

Justin

PS: Still think about Ben every time I pass Carlsbad, the location of the Sat. morning coffee meets.

A lot of people like the new Boxster Spyder because of the media hype regarding it's "pure" and lightweight construction. It also helps if a car magazine states that the Boxster Spyder is the best handling car in America. 

Truth is: you hardly feel the difference vs. a regular Boxster S and the performance difference is almost non-existant. Unless of course the drivers want to believe that. The roof construction is annoying as it can be, it takes a huge amount of time to remove the roof and even longer to put it back on, absolutely ridiculous.

Sorry but Boxster Spyders are sitting like a rock at german dealers, maybe in California...where it never rains...things look different.  

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

I can't help thinking they could have achieved same result just by fitting a regular but manually powered roof(once read somewhere it's 50kg saving,forgot on which car but it was a 2seater),buckets seats,those lighter wheels and an option to delete aircon and audio...but they couldn't charge more for it then

RC:

A lot of people like the new Boxster Spyder because of the media hype regarding it's "pure" and lightweight construction. It also helps if a car magazine states that the Boxster Spyder is the best handling car in America. 

Truth is: you hardly feel the difference vs. a regular Boxster S and the performance difference is almost non-existant. Unless of course the drivers want to believe that. The roof construction is annoying as it can be, it takes a huge amount of time to remove the roof and even longer to put it back on, absolutely ridiculous.

Sorry but Boxster Spyders are sitting like a rock at german dealers, maybe in California...where it never rains...things look different.  

Thanks RC.  I have never driven a standard Boxster S, so I will take your word for it.  The Spyder still feels pretty heavy for such a simple car but I was told that it's an improvement over the standard car.

Yes, here in Southern California, I leave my top at home!  Spyders are usually spoken for, but unfortunately my dealer has two GT3 RS models (my ideal Porsche!) just sitting there.  I suspect the car might be too hardcore for typical LA drivers.

BTW, the roof on my Elise is very simple.  Takes about 20 seconds to install.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688941 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408901 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255615 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234875 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65453 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4640 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857722 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773673 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM