Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

My Meteorgray 997.2S

Just wanted to share some pictures of my 997.2 with PDK that I've had for some months now. Previously I owned a 997.1 in flat black with some sporty options, including PCCB, short-shifter, PSE, -20mm chassie, and a bunch of more stuff. Posted pictures here a couple of years ago, but that was way back so they're proably long gone Smiley

This new car is in Meteorgrey with the following options; PDK, Sport Exhaust, LSD, Sport Chrono (absolutely must with a PDK-equipped car!), Carrera Classic Wheels and Carrera S badge painted in Meteor grey, BOSE, Nav, Full Leather, Sport Seats, Mediainterface (what a great thing to have, really missed this one in my 997.1), Dynamic cornering lights (they're cool at night when swiveling and they also look more modern with the doubble lenses), plus some more not that important options...

Compared to my old car, this is really refined in every department and I'm absolutely stunned by the PDK-gearbox. I'm probably one of the few in here who really love the buttons and would not want to change it out for paddles. I think it is perfectly intuitive gearing up by pushing and down by pulling. My normal procedure when starting the car is to put it in sport-plus and run it in manual-mode. The gearshifts are really fantastic. And to be honest, I will NEVER move back to stick-shift. Period! Smiley

I've never been a track-guy so the PCCB's were a bit unnecessary for me on my old car. To be honest, the only downside is the added brake-dust, but it's not that visible on the grey wheels anyway Smiley ... It is also very nice to get rid of the awkward squeeky noice the PCCBs produced when breaking. What I've also noticed is that it seems like the steel-breaks perform better on normal driving and that the stopping distance is shorter!! ... but this might just be a illusion, I don't know... anyhow, I'm very pleased with the steel brakes.

Regarding the sport-chassie that I had on my old car I must admit that I preffer the PASM-system and its so nice being able to choose a softer damper-setting. In sport mode it's absolutely fantastic. The car also feels much more planted and not nervous at all like my old car was when driving fast. I have a lot more confidence in this car compared to my old one. And the LSD is just as good and in my opinion a must have on the 2S to give it that extra sporty feeling when giving it a rip in the corners.

Finally, PSE! The sound is a disappointment compared with my old car. My old car with the "always-on-mod" was very loud and I really liked that sound produced by the non-DFI-engines... The design of the PSE-pipes on the .2 is great and a design that I thought was very busy when I first saw it is now something I prefer and they look very cool in the flesh. The sound is way better than the original DFI non-PSE, but I would have liked something more similar to my old car... My neighbours are glad however Smiley

Really like the outcome of the painted wheels also, think it suits the car well and makes it a bit more agressive Smiley

IMG_0271.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

IMG_0292.jpg

IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

--

Current: 997.2 C2S Meteorgrey/Black - PDK, PSE, LSD, SportChrono, Nav, Bose, etc.

Sold: 997C2S Black/Black - PSE, Adaptives, PCCB, -20mm/LSD, Short-shifter, SportChrono, Nav, BOSE, etc.

Re: My Meteorgray 997.2S

Very nice, I like it Smiley

--
    Happy Driving

Lukas:

IMG_0289.jpg

Beautifully simple, simply beautiful. Smiley

--

fritz

Many congrats Lukas - hope you enjoy it  

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Rennteam signature photo 2.jpg

The grey on grey is a beautiful, sophisticated look. I'll remember that combination. Congratulations.

Scheduled to pick up my 997.1 tomorrow and I'll post pics. Always nice to bring a new baby home. However, it's Carmon Red. Not sure how that would look with matching wheels.

--
    "Live and lurk."

Beautiful 911 Lukas, thanks for the write up and pictures. The painted wheels look fantastic! Congrats and i wish you many many happy miles

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

great color combo

The painted wheels ... 

Stunning car, enjoy the ride! 

Congrats, Lukas - that's a real beauty Smiley I wish you many happy miles and thank you for the report Smiley

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

That grey-on-grey combo is simply stunning..  Food for thought for my next car...many thanks.

BTW - found the pics of your previous car....see, nothing gets lost on R/T..

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/20176886/Re_System_Failure_Message/page1.html?vs=0#p20176886

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Thank you guys for all your kind comments and feedback, really appreciated

I'm normally not into the painted-wheels thing, but have always loved wheels in smoked grey and when deciding on Meteor grey I thoght I'd give it a shot and the outcome was more than delightful and gives it a unique look.

@Carregeous: You must be really exited about picking up your new car. Good luck with your collection of your new ride and pictures would be lovely to see!

@John H: Cool that the pictures of my  old car still is available on RT and that you were able to find them! The link you provided however doesn't seem to leed to the right content

Anyone else who have painted wheels on their rides and would like to share pictures. Would be nice to see!

--

Current: 997.2 C2S Meteorgrey/Black - PDK, PSE, LSD, SportChrono, Nav, Bose, etc.

Sold: 997C2S Black/Black - PSE, Adaptives, PCCB, -20mm/LSD, Short-shifter, SportChrono, Nav, BOSE, etc.

Hi Lukas - here's a link to some of your earlier pics:

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/316393/Took_some_pics_of_my_black_997s_today_in_Stockholm/page1.html

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Rennteam signature photo 2.jpg

Congrats! Such an individual yet convincing colour combination for paint and rims. Smiley

Thanks for the link easy! Haven't seen those pictures for a while and really nice to see my old car. I had it for almost 5 years and 70.000km on the clock so it was a good friend

--

Wow Lukas, that's a gorgeous car! Congrats. Just like everyone else, I love the body-colour wheels

--

997.1 cab C2S with ceramics!

By the way, I was interested to read your views on PCCB. I have them on my 997.1 and its the first time I've had ceramics on a car. To me, they're an absolute revelation on the road. To the point where I consider them an almost essential safety feature. Being able to brake so efficiently really is a life-saver in many situations that a sports car driver can get himself into on the road. With a PCCB equipped car, you are much better equipped to deal with anything unexpected. Because there's so much more of that on the road than on the track, I actually think PCCB is more important for the road, which is where we tend to spend the majority of our time anyway (well, those of us that don't drive GT3s anyway ).

BTW, I agree with you that the phase 2 PSE tips are actually less fussy than the phase 1s, but I think that's because they're better integrated into the rear bumper. I do miss the assymetrical phase 1 PSE tips though...

--

997.1 cab C2S with ceramics!

easy_rider911:

Hi Lukas - here's a link to some of your earlier pics:

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/316393/Took_some_pics_of_my_black_997s_today_in_Stockholm/page1.html

That's really strange Easy... when I click on the link I posted above it opens the same thread as your link does?....Smiley

--

@elsievsg - Thanks for your compliments! Regarding the PCCBs compared to the steel brakes I think the actual braking performance on normal driving should be equal. I think I read somewhere that cold steel brakes perform better than cold ceramics.  If I remember correctly I've read about this on several places long time ago and Sport Auto, AMS or similar did a test wher they compared the actual performance. When utilizing the breaks heavily and when getting warm, the PCCBs are of course ahead and perform better since they are fade-resistant.

I had a 2005 997.1 so it was the second generation pccbs. Things have probably changed over time and I'm sure the latest generation of pccbs perform better. You should remember that porsche brakes are very good compared with many other brands and normally is the winner when braking performance is meassured.

One thing that I expected with the steelbrakes were that the pedal feel should be more swampy and not as direct as the pccbs. There is a slight different in feel, but it's nothing that I'm thinking about right now... Loved the elimination of brake dust though!

Maybe someone else can chime in here who have knowledge regarding the actual braking  performance comparing steel and ceramics

--

Very nice car and report, thanks for sharing.

J.Seven

Ups, missed that one.

Great looking car, Lukas.

For me it's very interesting to see, how relatively subtle changes like the colour of the rims transform the looks of the car almost completely. Looks perfect.

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Very nice!

The painted "Carrera S" logo, makes a difference in the look  too

--

"Form follows function"

Cool. Dont like the wheels though to standard for me.

I really like the monochromatic look in this color .....but you forgot to get body color headlight washers

Great looking car Lukas! 

Regarding the PSE sound, it appears that the 997.2 has been equipped with a center silencer in addition to the left/right silencers. I don't think the 997.1 had a center silencer. This probably explains the difference in sound.

Cargraphic is selling an exhaust kit for the 997.2 PSE which removes the center silencer. I am pretty keen on getting this one for my 997.2:

http://www.cargraphic.de/index.php?/s,6,7,18,3884,3899/o,article,5850/

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver with 'Martini Racing' design. H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE.

Still doesn't sound a patch on the 997.1 PSE with always-on mod...IMHO.

http://www.cargraphic.de/index.php?/s,6,7,18,3884,3899/&language=2

--

Have experienced some spirtual driving since my last report and just wanted to give a few updates. The PDK-buttons are still a joy to use and as I wrote earlier I'm probably one of a few who prefer the buttons compared with the paddles offered. It's really great to have the possibility to make both up and down-shifts with just one of your hands.

Regarding the sport chrono, the first thing I do when starting the car is more or less to put it in Sport Plus and put the stick in manual mode. The shifts are really so fast and good. When putting it in normal mode (or even sport) the shifts are not immediate and feels very slow in comparison. What I'm missing very much from the different sport modes and configuration is that I would like to have the quick gearshifts ithout sacrificing the less conservative PSM-configuration offered in sport and sport plus. When driving in the wet for instance, I would still want to have the fastest possible gearshifts but since I'm not a pro racing driver I wouldn't mind having the full PSM-support engaged. This is something I really hope porsche will improve on the upcoming models so it's more like the bmw-configuration where you can set everything according to your exact preferences. Anyone else agree with this

The sound of the .2 PSE is really growing on me. I've actually heard comments from people that they think the sound from the .1 sounded too raspy like it was broken on my previous car. I liked it however and I assume the comments came from people who prefer the sound of an electrical silent car

Just a few thoughts of the launch control... When reving the engine and launching when the launch control is activated the wheels are spinning to some extent before the grip's established and it feels like I'm stuck for a few moments before the car pulls of. Compared with not using the launch control and just floor the pedal it sometimes feels that I'm getting a faster start this way since there is more or less no wheel spin and better control when launching from stand still. Anyone else who have experienced this? I haven't been able to compare the two scenarios with a stop watch and this is just based on an observation from a "feeling" perspective.

On the total, I completely love this car. The only thing I'm considering though is if I should have gone with the 4-wheel drive instead...

--

Lukas:

Just wanted to share some pictures of my 997.2 with PDK that I've had for some months now. Previously I owned a 997.1 in flat black with some sporty options, including PCCB, short-shifter, PSE, -20mm chassie, and a bunch of more stuff. Posted pictures here a couple of years ago, but that was way back so they're proably long gone Smiley

Weren't you, by any chance, the guy who bought my former 997 Carrera S from Germany ? Smiley Good choice on your second 997...looks great.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

RC:
    Lukas:

Weren't you, by any chance, the guy who bought my former 997 Carrera S from Germany ? Smiley Good choice on your second 997...looks great.

What a memory Smiley. We had a conversation back then and your car was actually exported to Sweden and sold in Sweden by a private person. I remember that I got the vin-number from you and we concluded that it was your car. There were some uncertanties with the import to Sweden and the guy selling it wanted a premium price so when I found a car with the same specification (launch car) @ Porsche Düsseldorf I decided to import it myself. That was really a joy and I still remember the first drive on autobahn after picking the car up and having mounted the export plates Smiley

Thanks for the compliment re my new car! 

--

Lukas:

The sound of the .2 PSE is really growing on me. I've actually heard comments from people that they think the sound from the .1 sounded too raspy like it was broken on my previous car. I liked it however and I assume the comments came from people who prefer the sound of an electrical silent car

Lukas - how are you finding the sound of the .2 PSE now?  Is there a mod you can do to make it 'always-on', as with the .1 PSE, or does it cut in and out with revs or road speed?

I'm about to take delivery of a GTS and the only nagging worry I have is that the PSE sound will prove disappointing when compared to my current car...Smiley

Thanks in advance for any pointers...

--

Great to hear that your GTS is just around the corner John

The "always-on" mod is possible to do even with the 997.2 by just remove the orange (or black) electrical cable in the engine compartment. BUT the mod does not do anything except disabling the functionality of the PSE-button on the dashbord and make the PSE always activated.  The difference from 997.1 is that there is no cut-off on the .2 PSE. So in that sence it is always on when ON and this is why I haven't done the always-on mod like I did on my previous car. It is not as loud as it was on the 997.1 and I can imagine that's the reason why Porsche does allow it to be on all the time since it will fit within the regulations for noice output. Regarding the electrical cable I remember there was a difference if you had the powerkit on the 997.1 and probably the same applies for the 997.2 powerkit like you will have on the GTS.

The sound itself from the PSE is not bad at all. I actually really like it and it's very sporty. But it's different from the .1 and there is no "bubbling and rasping" noice.  I have also noted that it is far more muted when you listen to it from inside the car than from the outside and specially when you drive at town speed. It however really show it's real potential when over 5000rpm. It really screams and sounds very racy. A lot more race than .1.

Another thing is that in my .1 car I had manual. And it was a pleasure being in 2-nd gear, push the clutch and at the same time give it some throttle. The PSE on the .1 did really shine here. On a PDK-car like the one I have now you don't experience the same thing since you don't put it in Neutral mode when you drive and really don't experience the effect of pushing the clutch half way and give it some throttle just to hear that intoxing sound. This is really the only downside with the PDK, but to be honest, this is nothing that I'm thinking of right now. The PDK is a total gem and I really love it and this is my first automatic having previously owned porsches with short-shift manual.

I've also noted that the sound is better now after break-in so you will probably be more disappointed the first time you fire it up when after break in when it can breathe fully

--

Current: 997.2 C2S Meteorgrey/Black - PDK, PSE, LSD, SportChrono, Nav, BOSE, etc.

Sold: 997.1 C2S Black/Black - PSE, Adaptives, PCCB, -20mm/LSD, Short-shifter, SportChrono, Nav, BOSE, etc.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    760241 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434135 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259887 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257030 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80679 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5309 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871022 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806154 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM