Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche 991 GT3 to include GT1 motorsport engine... Thread Closed

JimFlat6:

... But what might be be THE complete game changer for the sports car world is Dynamic Camber Control. ... 

I think I saw a patent application for that somewhere...

Ahh, there you go: patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Fuchwheeler:

seriously... all these niceties are ok to me as long as the car drives like a sports car. Look at the F458 or the R8 V10 as good examples where comfort, performance and form are nicely married together.... I seriously mean until the day when we reach professional levels, a comfort 911 is ok.

However, if we really demand track-car dynamics, a GT3 or GT3 RS would be the correct car. But for the 911 S/4S, most of us would not mind a dual climate, burmester/bose sound system, sunroof.

That´s a fine summary and I totally agree. Smiley

JimFlat6:

But what might be be THE complete game changer for the sports car world is Dynamic Camber Control. If they have succeeded in engineering a wheel camber control system that maintains constant tire print profile under changing wheel loads and road/curve/angles they will basically have built a spaceship for the street. Combine that with torque vector control, lighter weight and a lot of power and we will having something amazing.

Mercedes presented such a technology on a concept car a few years ago so the technology itself is not surprising. To offer it on a production car is quite an achievement, although we don´t know for certain that it will be presented on the upcoming model. I could imagine that it will be launched on the 991 GT3 first...

Ferdie:

JimFlat6:

But what might be be THE complete game changer for the sports car world is Dynamic Camber Control. If they have succeeded in engineering a wheel camber control system that maintains constant tire print profile under changing wheel loads and road/curve/angles they will basically have built a spaceship for the street. Combine that with torque vector control, lighter weight and a lot of power and we will having something amazing.

Mercedes presented such a technology on a concept car a few years ago so the technology itself is not surprising. To offer it on a production car is quite an achievement, although we don´t know for certain that it will be presented on the upcoming model. I could imagine that it will be launched on the 991 GT3 first...

Active Camber Control was a Mercedes innovation on the F400 Carving concept car already in 2002.

Why not on the 991 production model in 2011

2002-Mercedes-Benz-F-400-Carving-F-Turn-1600x1200.jpg2002-Mercedes-Benz-F-400-Carving-R-Trees-1280x960.jpg

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    Ferdie:

JimFlat6:

Active Camber Control was a Mercedes innovation on the F400 Carving concept car already in 2002.

Why not on the 991 production model in 2011

Porsche usually files US patents for things it actually wants to put into production.  Among other things that they've filed is an adjustable rate steel coil spring (so you can get the effect of air suspension with the natural feel of steel coil overs) and an electrically augmented hybrid turbo charger, and a hybrid drive for rear engined vehicles.  From my earlier post  Smiley:

capedsegwayrider:
    Fuchwheeler:

any new development for the Porsche 991 ?

You can figure out what Porsche is doing for their upcoming models just by reading their recent patents Smiley

A hybrid turbo system where an extra turbine is used to charge the battery at high RPMs and reduce turbo lag at low RPMs.

Steel coil springs with dynamically adjustable spring rates (much like an air suspension).

Dynamic camber adjustment in conjunction with PDCC.

A convertible with a folding hard top. 

A hybrid drive train that works with PDK.

A panoramic roof for the Panamera.

Future of Porsche: Next 911 by Autocar...

Autocar_Next-Porsche-911_01.jpg

Autocar_Next-Porsche-911_02.jpg

Autocar_Next-Porsche-911_03.jpg

Autocar_Next-Porsche-911_04.jpg

...many thanks to Autocar magazine...

...well worth picking up a copy!

Smiley SmileySmiley SmileySmiley

its a good image but it just looks too much like a 997 with a cayenne style front bumper. imo i would like to see porsche take a couple steps further from the 997 and make it a really new car and not just a restyling.

Appreciate the scan Smiley

--
    Happy Driving

wow!  thanks very much for the post!!!  (especially us who live across the pond and the country) 

interesting how they said that the 991 is going further "upmarket" suggesting even higher prices...?  And that there were no illustrations of the rear end!  

thanks very much again for taking the time to share!

Boxster Coupe GTS:

Future of Porsche: Next 911 by Autocar...

...many thanks to Autocar magazine...

...well worth picking up a copy!

Smiley SmileySmiley SmileySmiley

Thank you, much appreciatedSmiley

The 991 is going to be one heck of a car, if this is correctSmiley

--

10 PRINT "997.2 Carrera S rules"

20 GOTO 10

30 RUN

Electric steering has me very concerned (this is usually bad for feel/feedback).

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

thans a lot for the scan!

Thanks for the scan!

I've started saving my €uros already.

--

"Form follows function"

Not able to read text as when I zoom in, it becomes a blur.  Is there a link to the article ? Tried going into Autocar website, but the article is not on there yet.

Thanks

Dave63:

Not able to read text as when I zoom in, it becomes a blur.  Is there a link to the article ? Tried going into Autocar website, but the article is not on there yet.

Thanks

Hi Dave -- if you click on the image to open it in a new window, you should be able to view the scanned page at a higher definition than displayed above...

Autocar_Next-Porsche-911_03-text-extract.jpg

...at that higher resolution, the full text of the article should be readable! Smiley

Smiley Smiley Smiley

thanks for the scan, not surprised by these lines here. Good to hear the 911 will move up and the boxster/cayman chassis will become even more serious being built in Weissach. Also happy to see a new baby porsche, hey maybe i'll be in the market for one by that time.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Grant:

Electric steering has me very concerned (this is usually bad for feel/feedback).

I share your concern, especially since my wife's car's electrically-assisted steering has a rather "dead" feel. 

On the other hand, Porsche had managed to find a better PAS set-up than other manufacturers using hydraulic systems, so they might be able to achieve the same with an electrical system. 

--

fritz

fritz:
    Grant:

I share your concern, especially since my wife's car's electrically-assisted steering has a rather "dead" feel. 

On the other hand, Porsche had managed to find a better PAS set-up than other manufacturers using hydraulic systems, so they might be able to achieve the same with an electrical system. 

I hope so - the Mazda RX-8 is pretty good, but most (including BMW, Mini, and Honda) are dead.  My one hope rides on the fact that the current GT3 Cup uses electric steering.  I've never driven one, but I assume it must be pretty good.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

thanks for taking the efforts to scan the mag. you rock!

too bad there isn't any rear drawings.... that would be the most exciting part of the car.

can't wait for the new 911 to arrive... may personally fly to Frankfurt 2011 just to see the new 911. :D

Here is the article text:

Porsche will launch an all-new 911 next year, a car that will be thoroughly re-engineered in the face of increased supercar competition, while also featuring refreshed exterior styling and a much higher quality interior. Here, Autocar looks at the tech behind the new 911, codenamed 991.

See Autocar’s exclusive rendering of the new Porsche 911

Read more on the all-new Porsche 911

Layout

The new model retains the classic rear-engined layout of the 997 and every other 911 since the original was introduced way back in 1963, albeit with modifications to the engine mounting points, which have been optimised for improved weight distribution.

Watch the spy video of the new 911 in winter testing

As with today’s 911, the front-end structure, complete with its MacPherson strut suspension, has been designed to be shared with the Boxster, a third-generation model of which is due to reach the UK in March 2012. The rear end, with its reworked multi-link suspension, remains largely unique, and the steering uses an electro-mechanical set-up.

Body and weight

The next 911 retains a predominantly steel platform structure and a body constructed from a combination of steel, aluminium and plastic composites. A series of weight optimisation measures has pared kerb weight by around 45kg in base trim, bringing the new 911 Carrera down to around 1525kg.

The new car is marginally longer and wider than the existing 911 but the basic silhouette, while stretched slightly, remains largely unchanged, including the screen angles and length of the front and rear overhangs. The biggest change is the widened wings, which have been designed to accept wheels up to 20 inches in diameter.

Detailing

Porsche Weissach-based designers, under the leadership of Michael Mauer, have reinterpreted the detailing, although again there are no major changes. Headlamps and tail-lights have been altered slightly and given new LED graphics, while the exterior mirror housings now sit outboard on the doors rather than in the blanked-off quarter panel at the base of the A-pillar.

The electrically operated rear wing has been reshaped for added aerodynamic efficiency and greater downforce at speeds above 75mph. Further active aerodynamic measures within the front air ducts may appear on the new 911 Turbo, due out in 2013.

Cabriolet

Cabriolet versions of the next 911, due to reach UK showrooms in May 2012, will feature a fabric hood that operates on the go at speeds of up to 37mph and can also be activated from outside the car via the key fob.

As with the existing model, the roof structure stows under a plastic-composite tonneau cover to preserve the car’s lines. The interior is a big departure, with new mounting points for the dashboard and seats to provide incremental improvements in front and rear accommodation, helped by a longer wheelbase and slightly widened tracks.

While retaining traditional elements, such as the five-dial instrument binnacle, the cabin draws heavily on that of the Panamera and current Cayenne in terms of design and features. Boot capacity improves on the existing 911 at 140 litres — all concentrated under the new car’s reworked bonnet, ahead of its standard 68-litre fuel tank.

Engines

The engine line-up is based around upgraded versions of Porsche’s six-cylinder, direct injection petrol unit, boasting incremental increases in power and torque and slight reductions in fuel consumption and CO2 emissions.

When UK sales get under way in 14 months’ time there will be a 3.6-litre engine with 365bhp and 295lb ft in the Carrera. It will be joined from the outset by a revised 3.8-litre powerplant delivering 415bhp and 325lb ft in the Carrera S.

Both engines will come with a six-speed manual gearbox as standard; the seven-speed PDK (Porsche Doppel Kupplung) unit is an option, with shift paddles behind the wheel. Automatic stop-start and a brake recuperation system are also planned, helping to provide a claimed 12 per cent gain in city driving economy for the rear-drive Carrera and Carrera S.

The Carrera S will also receive a standard electronically controlled differential and, in the four-wheel-drive Carrera 4S planned for October 2012, an electronic torque-vectoring device to complement the existing model’s long list of driving aids. Further variants will follow in time, including more powerful versions of the Turbo, GT3 and GT2.

Hybrid

Porsche is tight lipped about a petrol-electric 911. “We’ve already got a Cayenne hybrid and we are working on a similar solution for the Panamera. However, the 911 is a totally different proposition in terms of performance, weight and packaging,” said an insider, hinting such a model is still some way off.

Despite further studies into electric versions of the 911, Porsche sources suggest they will not be offered for sale to customers. “We are investigating pure electric drive systems but no decisions have been made on their production future,” said our source.

Sounds a little dry actually.  At 996TT power on a Carrera S, it will move though

All-new Porsche 911 uncovered by Autocar...

Porsche will reveal a new incarnation of the iconic 911 at next year’s Frankfurt motor show. The company is hoping to win back traditional customers in the face of tough supercar competition and reaffirm its future under the guise of parent company Volkswagen.

Codenamed 991, the heavily re-engineered coupé and cabriolet are set to go on sale in the UK in October 2011. They will get freshened exterior styling, a higher-quality interior, more powerful yet highly fuel-efficient six-cylinder boxer engines, sharpened dynamics and a greater list of high-end options.

The new 911 will head further upmarket from its current positioning and allow Porsche to reshuffle its model line-up in readiness for the introduction of a new entry-level mode, to be developed in partnership with VW.

Porsche has traditionally made big changes to the 911 every second generation, so while today’s 997 is regarded as a heavily facelifted version of its predecessor, the new 991 — seen here in Autocar’s exclusive illustration — has been developed from a clean sheet of paper.

Weissach engineers are hopeful that its features will allow it to continue through to the next model, due in 2017, without any significant or costly modifications.

New-Porsche-911_Autocar-article-1

New-Porsche-911_Autocar-article-2

Smiley SmileySmiley 

This is a picture I found of the 991, looks like they go back to the 996 style headlights... like what I see 

2011 Porsche 911: "Deep Dive" by Automobile...

(11 August 2010)

"Once upon a time, the 911 was Porsche's bread-and-butter product, but these days, the Cayenne and now the Panamera are easily outselling the sports car icon.

Not surprisingly, the competition is facing similar problems. Audi, for instance, has scaled down R8 output from more than thirty to less than ten units per day, and Chevrolet has cash on the hood of the Corvette (including the ZR-1).

Porsche feels that the best remedy for this decline in sports car sales is fresh product with advanced technology, and thus is preparing the most ambitious 911 update in years.

Unlike the current-generation 997, which was a thoroughly revised 996, the next 911, codenamed 991, is definitely brand-new. Big advances include a redesigned suspension (albeit still the same basic strut-front, multilink-rear setup), electrically-assisted power steering, a push-button handbrake, optional twenty-inch wheels, more powerful engines, and last but not least, a seven-speed manual transmission. That's right, seven. Additionally, the 991 is said to be about 100 pounds lighter and ten percent more efficient than the current car. To achieve that last aim, Porsche is refining the aerodynamics, introducing a new thermo-management complete with advanced battery management technology, and incorporating stop-start technology and brake energy regeneration. There will also be new high-performance capacitors, which can store -- and release -- more electric power than a battery alone. Predictably, the next 911 remains loyal to the traditional rear-engine layout, but to improve cabin space, directional stability, and the handling at the limit, the rear axle moves back nearly three inches.

The 991 also seeks to set new standards in the ride and handling. That's why the Carrera S gets more powerful, six-piston front brakes, Porsche Torque Vectoring, optional dynamic engine mounts and a bunch of suspension-related wizardries labeled PDCC. Depending on model and specification, the ride height will be lower by 0.4 to 0.8 inches and the brake discs will sport a larger diameter. The S model features twenty-inch wheels and quad tailpipes. The base Carrera can be identified by dual oval exhausts, black brake calipers and nineteen-inch rims. In all models, the motorized tail spoiler automatically extends at 60 mph.

Inside, one finds a cockpit layout inspired by the Panamera. This applies in particular to the more legible instruments and the wider centre console, which rises from the transmission tunnel to the dashboard. New options include third-generation radar-based cruise control, dual-zone automatic air conditioning, keyless ignition, a Burmester sound system, and even more elaborate power seats. Thanks to the four-inch wheelbase extension, the 991 is said to be more spacious, more stable, and more comfortable. In terms of engines, the evolution is mild, with slightly more powerful direct-injected flat-sixes. The Carrera will be powered by a 350-hp 3.4-liter unit (up 5 hp from today's base 3.8-liter), while the S model benefits from a beefier 3.8-liter rated at 400 hp. Although Porsche has plug-in hybrid applications in the pipeline, it is still tight lipped about power, range, price, and timing. And, of course, there will be the aforementioned new seven-speed manual gearbox, which has been derived from the PDK dual-clutch automatic. We can't wait to come to grips with its dogleg shift pattern.

One year after the coupe debuts, Porsche plans to launch the cabriolet. If you think you've seen it all when it comes to novel drop tops, then wait until you get a look at this open-air model, which ditches the classic canvas roof for a lightweight retractable hardtop covered with man-made fabric. As far as novelty value goes, you really couldn't ask for much more than that..."

Deep-Dive_2011-Porsche-911_Automobile-article

Smiley SmileySmiley

All-new Porsche 911 uncovered by Autocar...

2010-Porsche-911-GT3_Wallpaper-01.jpg

2010-Porsche-911-GT3_Wallpaper-02.jpg

2010-Porsche-911-GT3_Wallpaper-03.jpg

2010-Porsche-911-GT3_Wallpaper-05.jpg

2010-Porsche-911-GT3_Wallpaper-04.jpg

...source of inspiration for the Autocar photoshop? Smiley

Smiley SmileySmiley

"...push-button handbrake..."  In a pdk equipped car don´t see a problem but in a manual...don´t seems right to me.

45kg less is great i think but could have been much more.,if it costs more(i know it got more gizmos)...and less costs more...

About the electrically-assisted steering im with you guys.

"Also happy to see a new baby porsche, hey maybe i'll be in the market for one by that time."I drink to that.  I hope it will be a proper Porsche.

Leblanc:

About the electrically-assisted steering im with you guys."

I don't think they would clear it for production unless it is up to expected sportiness standard.

I remember many years ago when power-assisted steering was looked down by sporty drivers because it was usually dead and without feel. See nowadays how it has evolved. The same will happen with electrically-assisted steering. Benefit will be no or very little engine power  consumption and perhaps less weight.

--

"Form follows function"

why are they making the 911 always bigger!!!!!!, the 458 is just a little smaller than the 430, I think it is enough big the 997, compare it to a 993, it seems just to big!!!

but it's gonna be the best 911 ever .....

--
    993 c2

xander71:

why are they making the 911 always bigger!!!!!!, the 458 is just a little smaller than the 430, I think it is enough big the 997, compare it to a 993, it seems just to big!!!

Correction: the 458 is a little bit bigger than the 430. IMHO the 458 is already too big. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

steering.1 will be so-so and we will all be looking forward to steering.2

somehow we got used to this from porsche by now

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Rossi:
    xander71:

Correction: the 458 is a little bit bigger than the 430. IMHO the 458 is already too big. Smiley

..and both are substantially wider than the 911

sorry...i did read it somewhere.....maybe I was dreaming....

--
    993 c2

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764085 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436355 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260974 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257908 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82608 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876724 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808745 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM