Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Turbo S - Highs & Lows

The highs -:

IMG_1322.JPG

IMG_1311.JPG

IMG_1312.JPG

IMG_1337.JPG

IMG_1364.JPG

... and the lows -: On my way to my OPC this morning I lost all drive. Warning light on dash indicated gearbox failure. After reseting the fault and restarting engine I limped to my OPC Smiley

Re: Turbo S - Highs & Lows

Congrats! Beautiful Turbo S with right wheels.

Sorry about gearbox problem-hopefully it will be sorted out very soon.

Congrats - stunning car!

Sorry to hear of the problems, but better they occur now as later!

Hey.... is that a radar detector on top of the dash????

Software glitch, in all probability. I'll be surprised if it's anything more serious.

All black Turbo is very nice with the right wheels too

--

"Form follows function"

Nope. Just the key.

Re the gearbox:

As you guys say its probably nothing serious but it has shaken my confidence a little.

If I had been overtaking something at the moment the drive failed it could have been messy.

As it was I had to launch the car in to someones driveway to avoid blocking the B road I was on.

best of luck with the fix. i guess it#s some sensor or soething of the kind.

sometimes things do fail...

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

PowderJunky:

Nope. Just the key.

Re the gearbox:

As you guys say its probably nothing serious but it has shaken my confidence a little.

If I had been overtaking something at the moment the drive failed it could have been messy.

As it was I had to launch the car in to someones driveway to avoid blocking the B road I was on.

When my car (unfortunately not a Turbo but PDK still) was 6 months old I had a  similar problem when coming to a busy roundabout. I could be hit from behind as the car lost drive. Switched off and then on and the glitch was gone; the system must have rebooted.

They reported the problem to the Factory and an update was downloaded and  installed. Since then no problems.

--

"Form follows function"

Sad to hear about your problems with the PDK. I hope they will fix the problem soon, so that you can fully enjoy the car. Turbo S is such a great machine.

Very nice example of the Turbo S by the way, only the wheels are wrong.

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

reginos:

When my car (unfortunately not a Turbo but PDK still) was 6 months old I had a  similar problem when coming to a busy roundabout. I could be hit from behind as the car lost drive. Switched off and then on and the glitch was gone; the system must have rebooted.

They reported the problem to the Factory and an update was downloaded and  installed. Since then no problems.

Hope the fix is that simple for mine too, although I'd have hoped it would already have the latest firmware given the car was only made two weeks ago Smiley

KresoF1:

Congrats! Beautiful Turbo S with right wheels.

Sorry about gearbox problem-hopefully it will be sorted out very soon.

+1 Smiley Smiley

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Rennteam signature photo 2.jpg

Rossi:

Sad to hear about your problems with the PDK. I hope they will fix the problem soon, so that you can fully enjoy the car. Turbo S is such a great machine.

Very nice example of the Turbo S by the way, only the wheels are wrong.

Likewise Rossi - congrats on the new woman in your life.Smiley

The 700 miles I put on mine getting her back to the UK were an absolute dream, and who says Porsche's aren't head turners. I was suprised at the amount of attention we were getting on routeSmiley.

... and it is really funny how the wheel choice polarises opinion.

Congrat for the choice. Enjoy it

--

CT, GT3, Cooper S

A wonderful car mate. Don't worry about the gearbox it will be fixed.

Did you get to go around the museum ? I know you said you could not do the tour as the factory is closed down. That's an excuse to drive out next year for the tour !!! 

Who did you use for insurance in the end ?

My car has just been up to Paintshield to have paint projection film fitted to the front end. Fantastic job as they DO NOT cut the film on the car. Might be worth thinking about on a black car as my Carrera S was covered in stone chips on the front end after 18 months.

Cheers,

Chris

cdixon:

A wonderful car mate. Don't worry about the gearbox it will be fixed.

Did you get to go around the museum ? I know you said you could not do the tour as the factory is closed down. That's an excuse to drive out next year for the tour !!! 

Who did you use for insurance in the end ?

My car has just been up to Paintshield to have paint projection film fitted to the front end. Fantastic job as they DO NOT cut the film on the car. Might be worth thinking about on a black car as my Carrera S was covered in stone chips on the front end after 18 months.

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks Chris.

The museum was great. I must have taken 100 photos in their alone. The drive back was a real pleasure with an overnight stop in Bonn to break the journey up.

I'll post more on the gearbox issue once things are resolved but suffice to say I'll not be getting it back anytime soon.

Glad the Paintshield worked out for you. If I decide to keep mine (which is highly unlikely now) I'll go the same route.

I'll post more on the gearbox issue once things are resolved but suffice to say I'll not be getting it back anytime soon.

Glad the Paintshield worked out for you. If I decide to keep mine (which is highly unlikely now) I'll go the same route.

I am so sorry to hear this news..... As i know from experience and reading all your previous posts just how much you were looking forward to collecting this car.

I hope they have got you in a decent loan car ? i am guessing the car is from Reading given your region ?

cdixon:

I am so sorry to hear this news..... As i know from experience and reading all your previous posts just how much you were looking forward to collecting this car.

I hope they have got you in a decent loan car ? i am guessing the car is from Reading given your region ?

I use Dick Lovett @ Swindon as I used to live Southwest & they have always treated me and my previous Turbo very well. Highly recommended OPC.

The loaner I have is a 997.2 C4S Convertible which typically my "betterhalf" likes more than I do.

I'd have been happier in a GT3 Smiley

I use Dick Lovett @ Swindon as I used to live Southwest & they have always treated me and my previous Turbo very well. Highly recommended OPC.

The loaner I have is a 997.2 C4S Convertible which typically my "betterhalf" likes more than I do.

I'd have been happier in a GT3 Smiley

Yep GT3 with that good old engine and manual gear box !!!

i use Bristol and have always  found the Lovett group to be first class...

Good Luck with the car, i am sure it will be great when it is back on the road. Would be great to catch up and get a photo shot of our cars together....

cdixon:
     Would be great to catch up and get a photo shot of our cars together....

Sounds like a plan Smiley

Powder, have they sorted out your issue with the gear box yet?  My Turbo just went in today to the garage, I lost all Turbo boost pressure while overtaking a car, luckily the other side was empty.  I limped into the garage this morning and they told me there was a defect in the rubber connecting piece from the Turbos into the Engine and it just disconnected.....they said it would take up to ten days to order the part because they don't keep rubber parts in stock for fear of them drying up, it seems this also happened to a friend of mine with a Turbo as well at 1,000 kms, while it happened with me at 12,000 kms...... the same part failed. They tried a temporary fix and it didn't work so  I made them order it by DHL, no way I'm waiting that long to drive.  I hope these are all just minor issues and not part of a larger problem at Porsche!  Because I'm in love with the car and it puts a smile on my face everytime I get behind the wheel!!!  So I wish you many miles of enjoyment once you get your car back!!!!!  and I can't wait to see more pics!!! congrats!

Moser:

Powder, have they sorted out your issue with the gear box yet?  My Turbo just went in today to the garage, I lost all Turbo boost pressure while overtaking a car, luckily the other side was empty.  I limped into the garage this morning and they told me there was a defect in the rubber connecting piece from the Turbos into the Engine and it just disconnected.....they said it would take up to ten days to order the part because they don't keep rubber parts in stock for fear of them drying up, it seems this also happened to a friend of mine with a Turbo as well at 1,000 kms, while it happened with me at 12,000 kms...... the same part failed. They tried a temporary fix and it didn't work so  I made them order it by DHL, no way I'm waiting that long to drive.  I hope these are all just minor issues and not part of a larger problem at Porsche!  Because I'm in love with the car and it puts a smile on my face everytime I get behind the wheel!!!  So I wish you many miles of enjoyment once you get your car back!!!!!  and I can't wait to see more pics!!! congrats!

Thanks for the kind words Moser.

Sadly, my car is still at my local OPC and I wont be getting it back anytime soon (new gearbox on the way from factory) Smiley

:( sorry to hear that, give us your thoughts once you're up and running again!!!

Regs,

MO

PowderJunky:
    Moser:

Thanks for the kind words Moser.

Sadly, my car is still at my local OPC and I wont be getting it back anytime soon (new gearbox on the way from factory) Smiley

Sad to hear this bad news.

It's never pleasant to experience a failure on a brand new car.

shame on porsche!Smiley

--

ex 965 3.3turbo/ ex 993 targa / ex 996 cab /

now 997S cabrio //  Audi A5 S-line 3.0tdi Quattro

exact same thing happened to me with a lancia delta integrale many many years back. just a flange came off......

in a lancia you expect this to happen but not with a porsche.

then again a certain percentage of any part dos fail at some stage......honestly, all part of ownership.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

New PDK box arrived from Germany yesterday - Will take 1-2days to fit.

I just pray that the fit will be as good as original factory fit. i.e. no loose wiring looms/cables rattling around etc

PowderJunky:

New PDK box arrived from Germany yesterday - Will take 1-2days to fit.

I just pray that the fit will be as good as original factory fit. i.e. no loose wiring looms/cables rattling around etc

I think the installation will be as good as new if not better. Just don't go to see your car. It's painful to see a new car even partly dismantled.

Please clarify, was the actual G/Box from ZF to blame or the actual  installation on your car?

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

Please clarify, was the actual G/Box from ZF to blame or the actual  installation on your car?

My OPC sent the fault code to the factory and they advised new gearbox immediately. I'm inclinded to think the fault is controlunit/sw rather than h/w as the drive came back when I reset the fault on the computer.

PowderJunky:
    reginos:

My OPC sent the fault code to the factory and they advised new gearbox immediately. I'm inclinded to think the fault is controlunit/sw rather than h/w as the drive came back when I reset the fault on the computer.

Maybe Porsche have reason to believe that even a Control Unit/SW  problem might have possibly caused some kind of damage to the G'box itself, and they are playing it safe.

--

"Form follows function"

She is back home

IMG_1344.JPG  IMG_1345.JPG IMG_1324.JPGIMG_1341.JPG 

Congrats PowderJunky, she's gorgeous. I drove mine today, a little comparison with the 458.
    The Turbo S does everything the Italia does - at least, just with less drama. Really a wolf in sheep's clothing.

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:

Congrats PowderJunky, she's gorgeous. I drove mine today, a little comparison with the 458.
    The Turbo S does everything the Italia does - at least, just with less drama. Really a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Thanks Rossi.

Should be having the pleasure of test driving a 458 in the next few weeks. Looking forward to it.

It was featured on last weeks Top Gear and Jeremy Clarkson was blown away.

You have to congratulate Ferrari and Porsche (and indirectly Nissan Smiley) for once again moving the game on. Makes you wonder what sort of performance the next generation of supercars will have? Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM