Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche 991 GT3 to include GT1 motorsport engine... Thread Closed

1 - 100 mm longer wheelbase

2 - 20" rims

3 - dual-climate controls

The 911 as a sports car is dead.

P.S. - a 7speed manual gearbox with a dog-leg 1st. I am waiting to hear the feedback from the hard-core manual drivers who, I predict, will think it's just OK an intuitive, while highly critical of the PDK buttons all along. I say people adapt (as they can adapt to the PDK buttons).

--

A. Dias --- 997.2S. Previous cars: Corvette C6,  996 C4.

ADias:

What is the increase in total length?

Isn't a longer wheelbase better for the car's handling?

--

"Form follows function"

Someone at my OPC mentioned "close to 400 mm"... (increase in total length)

I hope he 's wrong.

reginos:
    ADias:

What is the increase in total length?

Isn't a longer wheelbase better for the car's handling?

--

"Form follows function"

Increased wheelbase makes for a softer ride and more high speed stability, but it negatively impacts quick changes in direction (it makes it less nimble).

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

ADias:

P.S. - a 7speed manual gearbox with a dog-leg 1st. I am waiting to hear the feedback from the hard-core manual drivers who, I predict, will think it's just OK an intuitive, while highly critical of the PDK buttons all along. I say people adapt (as they can adapt to the PDK buttons).

A 7 speed manual (and the weight loss) is the best thing I've heard about the 991 by far...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

ADias:

Thank god, finally an option that I have been waiting for in years Smiley.

--
    Happy Driving

Ron (Houston):
    ADias:

I'm sure extra cup holders and a refrigerated glove box will be an "Exclusive" option...maybe even a rear seat DVD player!!

Ron (Houston):
    ADias:

Yesterday I took my 70 year old father in law for a drive. He asked me to adjust the temperature on his side only ....and was surprised I could not in such an expensive car Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

These things may appear unnecessary on a sports car, but the sports car driver has changed over the last 10-15 years. Most people have more than one car and in the family they might have 4 or 5. So a Porsche or any expensive car is required to have features that you come across on your cheaper runabout.. If a Golf or a C-class 180K has dual zone climate control as standard how can Porsche explain this omission to customers? The excuse that it adds weight or impairs the purity of the car is not bought by 99% of buyers.

--

"Form follows function"

2011 Sep will be the time for 991?

Or sooner?

reginos:

These things may appear unnecessary on a sports car, but the sports car driver has changed over the last 10-15 years. Most people have more than one car and in the family they might have 4 or 5. So a Porsche or any expensive car is required to have features that you come across on your cheaper runabout.. If a Golf or a C-class 180K has dual zone climate control as standard how can Porsche explain this omission to customers? The excuse that it adds weight or impairs the purity of the car is not bought by 99% of buyers.

--

"Form follows function"

Sports cars enthusiasts do not need that fluff and added weight. Your last sense says it all - 99% of the buyers are not sports cars enthusiasts.

--

Gnil:
    Ron (Houston):
    ADias:

Yesterday I took my 70 year old father in law for a drive. He asked me to adjust the temperature on his side only ....and was surprised I could not in such an expensive car Smiley

I know many 70+ yo and 80 yo who would never question that in a sports car. Those are the real enthusiasts.

--

ADias:
    Gnil:
    Ron (Houston):
    ADias:

I know many 70+ yo and 80 yo who would never question that in a sports car. Those are the real enthusiasts.

Most 70+ would not even ever question to change only one side of the cars temperature. To be honest, that is the most useless option in any car IMO, never used it and always felt bothered by changing both!

ADias:
    reginos:

--

"Form follows function"

Sports cars enthusiasts do not need that fluff and added weight. Your last sense says it all - 99% of the buyers are not sports cars enthusiasts.

The problem that Porsche face is that with this single model in its various guises they have to compete against anything from Ferrari to BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar etc. Therefore the specification and identity are often confused.

But nevertheless the 1% hardcore can buy a clubsport GT3 (or RS) w/o a/c, radio/cd etc.So even those are still catered for.

--

"Form follows function"

Lars997:
    ADias:
    Gnil:
    Ron (Houston):
    ADias:

Most 70+ would not even ever question to change only one side of the cars temperature. To be honest, that is the most useless option in any car IMO, never used it and always felt bothered by changing both!

Well, I'm sure they will give you an extra button that allows you when pushed to change both sides simultaneously. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    Lars997:

Well, I'm sure they will give you an extra button that allows you when pushed to change both sides simultaneously. Smiley

VW does just that. 

Now, some manufacturers just might want to sell you that as an additional-cost option.  Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:
    Rossi:
    Lars997:

VW does just that. 

Now, some manufacturers just might want to sell you that as an additional-cost option.  Smiley

I know about VW, well it would only be a snatch in the parts bin for the 991... Smiley

--

Lars997:
    ADias:
    Gnil:
    Ron (Houston):
    ADias:

I agree it is useless , specialy in a small car, but people driving MB S class or similar are used to those kind of features and do not look at 'sports car concept' . They like a car to look sporty but want a confort features. Personally I would not offer that in the 911 and I would also take away so manyn of the confort features, but this will never happen and even go more and more into the other direction. Porsche needs to sell cars, I m afraid

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:
    Lars997:
    ADias:
    Gnil:
    Ron (Houston):
    ADias:

I agree it is useless , specialy in a small car, but people driving MB S class or similar are used to those kind of features and do not look at 'sports car concept' . They like a car to look sporty but want a confort features. Personally I would not offer that in the 911 and I would also take away so manyn of the confort features, but this will never happen and even go more and more into the other direction. Porsche needs to sell cars, I m afraid 

OTOH some of these comfort features are very good especially on a Carrera that is not a weekend car but it is driven for daily transport.

For example when I ordered ventilated seats my friends were questioning this option as out of character with a car.

But in our 35+ degrees C summers that last 3-4 months I enjoy them and find them indispensable. Also because your back stays dry, you also drive faster Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    Gnil:
    Lars997:
    ADias:
    Gnil:
    Ron (Houston):
    ADias:

OTOH some of these comfort features are very good especially on a Carrera that is not a weekend car but it is driven for daily transport.

For example when I ordered ventilated seats my friends were questioning this option as out of character with a car.

But in our 35+ degrees C summers that last 3-4 months I enjoy them and find them indispensable. Also because your back stays dry, you also drive faster Smiley

Ventilated seats are great and you can use them as a substitute for dual-climate control. Smiley

Unfortunately seat ventilation is not possible with the sport seats. Smiley

--

reginos:

an you take your favourite car to a business meeting Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:
    reginos:

an you take your favourite car to a business meeting Smiley

Honestly, with leather seats in spite of how good a/c is,  the seat of your pants and your back get very sweaty and it is uncomfortable and not a good sight. Ventilated seats is a great option, worth sacrificing Sport Seats for it, in a hot climate.

Today it's 40 degrees C in the shade Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

Porsche 911 Speedster spy pics...

(28 July 2010)

First pictures of Porsche 911 Speedster...

Porsche work continues on the successor to the 911, but before that happens we still appropriate farewell. All the rumors buzzing around for some time that Porsche 911 Speedster with a working model that we have not seen for years!

This first ever of the Speedster spyshots confirm the rumors. The model is similar to the Boxster Speedster and 9ff Speed9 and also the successor to the 911 Speedster of the late 80s. 

Unique features 

As we already suspected, the 911 Speedster with a low windshield, less weight, a nice wide rear and obviously a compact fabric roof. On this prototype is still a conventional roof mounted its final order some face to hide. The output should be 408 hp and there are only 100 units built. Standard model will come in blue or white, but who can complain undoubtedly remains one other color.

Porsche-911-Speedster_Spyshots-link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Gnil:
    Lars997:
    ADias:
    Gnil:
    Ron (Houston):
    ADias:

I agree it is useless , specialy in a small car, but people driving MB S class or similar are used to those kind of features and do not look at 'sports car concept'.

I know a lot of people that are very picky about their temperature settings in a car, I find a dual-climate control very convenient in that case.

Before I read about Dual climate control I was driving on a long trip and my wife was bothered with air condition being too cold so I closed the vents on her side but this way she is not getting air and I asked my self why they don't have "dual climate control" since it's a small part and not much to add. I'm expecting that all air conditions in production now come with dual climate control and single climate control is thing of the past.

All these "dual climate control", "longer wheel base" has no right or wrong.  If you compare a 911 to S-class (even only in features) and start going by what our wives or any non sport car euthasiasts want, the 991 probably will be a step in the right direction.  For the probably less than 1% of car buying population who we call ourselves 911 fans, it is likely not. 

I thought that the Panamera is there for those +99% so the new 911 can be stepping a bit more back to the old direction.  I guess I will be badly wrong.   If the 991 is moving further away from being a true sport car (powerful and nimble) for marketing reason, I am really hoping that the next Cayman (981?) will fill the void left behind. 

Monster

--

93' Guard Red 968 Coupe

seriously... all these niceties are ok to me as long as the car drives like a sports car. Look at the F458 or the R8 V10 as good examples where comfort, performance and form are nicely married together.... I seriously mean until the day when we reach professional levels, a comfort 911 is ok.

However, if we really demand track-car dynamics, a GT3 or GT3 RS would be the correct car. But for the 911 S/4S, most of us would not mind a dual climate, burmester/bose sound system, sunroof.

For me, just give me that intoxicating SOUND which is seriously lacking in a Porsche... and I will be a  happy camper. :D

Sports car manufacturer cannot survive on building cars for the 1% purists.... it is about P&L at the end of the day.

I like the 7 speed manual gearbox, especially the dog leg 1st gear pattern, even better is the wheelbase will be the same as a 914- haha. I hope they also move the gas filler to the LHD drivers side and go back to floor hinged pedals

But what might be be THE complete game changer for the sports car world is Dynamic Camber Control. If they have succeeded in engineering a wheel camber control system that maintains constant tire print profile under changing wheel loads and road/curve/angles they will basically have built a spaceship for the street. Combine that with torque vector control, lighter weight and a lot of power and we will having something amazing.

JimFlat6:

But what might be be THE complete game changer for the sports car world is Dynamic Camber Control. If they have succeeded in engineering a wheel camber control system that maintains constant tire print profile under changing wheel loads and road/curve/angles they will basically have built a spaceship for the street. Combine that with torque vector control, lighter weight and a lot of power and we will having something amazing.

That would be a tremendous step forward. Having a car that is comfortable for the road + perfect at the track Smiley  I just hope we can either have now a GT3 with back seats ( but I daught this will be possible as the car is used for the race homologation ) or a Carrera S that has real sports options ( lighter, sportier chassis then -20mm , more agressive engine ...Smiley )

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:
    JimFlat6:

That would be a tremendous step forward. Having a car that is comfortable for the road + perfect at the track Smiley  I just hope we can either have now a GT3 with back seats ( but I daught this will be possible as the car is used for the race homologation ) or a Carrera S that has real sports options ( lighter, sportier chassis then -20mm , more agressive engine ...Smiley )

+1 Yep... this would be the absolute brake through!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689138 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408981 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255660 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234903 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65479 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4642 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857821 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773792 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM