Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

918 Spyder has been approved for production

From Autoweek,

It’s going to happen. Porsche’s instant icon, the 918 Spyder concept revealed at the Geneva motor show, has been green-lighted for production, the company said on Wednesday. 
    Porsche’s supervisory board approved the mid-engine, plug-in supercar in response to “overwhelming response” from the public. 
    The two-seat 918 Spyder is a successor to the Carrera GT. It pairs a 3.6-liter V8 that works with air-cooled lithium-ion batteries that power brushless electric motors. Total power is estimated to be about 680 hp.
    The 918 Spyder is capable of reaching 62 mph in just 3.2 seconds and can lap the Nürburgring in 7.5 minutes. Fuel consumption is a combined 78 mpg on the European cycle. The car is based on a lightweight carbon-fiber monocoque and employs a...

--

Re: 918 Spyder has been approved for production

Good news for the prospect owners Smiley

http://www.porsche.com/usa/aboutporsche/pressreleases/pag/?pool=international-de&id=2010-07-28

Stuttgart. In its session today, the Supervisory Board of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, Stuttgart, gave the green light for series development of the Porsche 918 Spyder. Reflecting the overwhelming response from the public and customers to the Concept Study, the Supervisory Board gave Porsche’s Board of Management the mission to develop a production model based on the car already presented. This concept version of an ultra-high-performance mid-engined sports car with plug-in hybrid technology made its debut at the 2010 Geneva Motor Show and at Auto China in Bejing, hitting the headlines worldwide.

Michael Macht, President and Chairman of the Board of Management of Porsche AG: “Production of the 918 Spyder in a limited series proves that we are taking the right approach with Porsche Intelligent Performance featuring the combination of supreme performance and efficient drivetrain concepts. We will develop the 918 Spyder in Weissach and assemble it in Zuffenhausen. This is also a very important commitment to Germany as a manufacturing base.”

The Concept Study of the 918 Spyder allows CO2 emissions of just 70 g/km, corresponding to fuel consumption of 3.0 litre/100 km (94.1 mpg imp) in the NEDC, on the one hand, and the performance of a super-sports car, on the other. This extremely efficient drivetrain technology then forms a symbiosis in the 918 Spyder with truly outstanding design and high-tech motorsport achievements. Further product details of the 918 Spyder will be disclosed in the months to come.

--
    Happy Driving

1280338430447clap.gif

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Rennteam signature photo 2.jpg

I assume the stated Ring was in error. Did they mean 7.05 and not 7.5?

--

nberry:

I don't think it was an error. I think it was deliberately vague (approx. 7.5 minutes, as opposed to 7minutes xx seconds), because there can be no measured lap time at this stage of the game. 

The model obviously only exists as a show car at this stage. If they have just decided this week to produce the car, they will now have to start designing and developing it in detail and tooling up for manufacturing it. Then at some time down the road there will be cars available which really represent the final production version and which can be subjected to all-out track testing. Only then will anyone really know a meaningful lap time. 

--

fritz

Was at my dealer and they asked whether I wanted to put down a $5000 deposit and once the final price is established they probably would need another $45,000.

Since the announcement today, he has received two deposits.

My answer was no. I believe the car is beautifully designed and has a lot of technology. However, something about the car does not sit right with me. Being a semi-hybrid, what is its purpose? Certainly it is  a display of Porsche engineering but that is like telling someone the Pope is Catholic.Smiley

It is not a track car like the CGT, nor a daily driver (not at $650,000). A weekend toy? I don't view it in the same class as Ferrari or Lambo I.e I am not sure it will deliver the sensuousness or the passion of these cars. I am puzzled as to why one would own other than to say it is Porsche's first hybrid sport car. That is a hell of a lot of money for that honor.Smiley

--

nberry:

--

7.5 = seven and a half minutes =7:30teacher.gif

Great news!

IMHO the 918 Spyder is a technology showpiece to show everyone what Porsche can do - that it can still create headline grabbing supercars - and the decision to build it is partly a message that the loss of independence to VW is not the end for Porsche.

Potential buyers are buying into part of that equation i.e. wanting the new technology and wanting a supercar that takes over the baton from the CGT Smiley

Some will want a piece of that action and, most importantly of all, will have the dough to afford it

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

I agree Easy.

I also think that that close  encounter of the 3rd kind that Porsche had with the tree-huggers (some time ago) was a real "brown trouser" moment for them, and ever since then they have adopted the "green narrative" whole heatedly . The 918 is Porsche telling us that this is the future. The decision to build it is them telling us that this is the near future.

Porsche plans some sort of hybrid for the 991 too, it already has the green light and as far as I heard, development is pretty much finished.

The 918 is an impressive piece of sports car technology and Porsche is probably going to use it as some sort of advertisement for their whole "green" model line (which of course isn't quite true but with 70g CO2, they will impress a lot of people).

Personally, I wouldn't buy this car, simply because I can't afford it and I would prefer the GT2 RS over this car anytime. However, if I had the money and if I could afford the GT2 RS too, I would definitely go for the 918.

Yes, a standard production series model isn't available yet, this is probably also the reason why Mike wouldn't get to sit in this car during the presentation but no matter how the final product will look alike, it will be an impressive piece of technology.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Absolutely agree about the green line of Porsche cars. The idea of 918 Spyder is to sell as much 911 Hybrids and Cayenne Hybrids as possible, as on the other hand it will be focused on pure performance.
    Very smart move from Porsche indeed!

Good news i think.

RC but it´s now sure 918 it will be Hybrid?    When that electrical juice run out it will be like a GT3 RS but it costs 3, 4x more.  718hp to 500hp in a 1.5t  carbon fiber based supercar.

...a GT3 RS with a RS Spyder engine.1280412361512duck.gif

Leblanc:

Good news i think.

RC but it´s now sure 918 it will be Hybrid?    When that electrical juice run out it will be like a GT3 RS but it costs 3, 4x more.  718hp to 500hp in a 1.5t  carbon fiber based supercar.

Nobody has said, that this car will be "only" 718 hp in total. In the whole presentation from Porsche, are used two main words - "under" for weight and acceleration, and "more" for speed and total power...

I've had this strange package sitting next to my cayenne car cover for sometime now and didn't bother to open it up until today Smiley

--

If anyone would like to sponsor my attendance of the 918 VIP event in Pebble Beach, the offer remains on the table

Spyderidol:

Yes true but just way too far from this (apart of the fact its is a race car of course and not road legal)

700Kg and 500Hp

918 Spyder with weight between 1000 and 1100kg = Win but  1.5t  NOT

Boyko23:
    Leblanc:

Good news i think.

Nobody has said, that this car will be "only" 718 hp in total. In the whole presentation from Porsche, are used two main words - "under" for weight and acceleration, and "more" for speed and total power...

I hope you are right Smiley

Leblanc:
    Spyderidol:

Yes true but just way too far from this (apart of the fact its is a race car of course and not road legal)

700Kg and 500Hp

918 Spyder with weight between 1000 and 1100kg = Win but  1.5t  NOT

Agreed!

I personally think that the 918 should be a new line , rather than a one-off -limited production vehicle. Porsche should make various versions of the 918, culminating in a 918RSR version for the race track . (PS. especially if it wants to keep up with the F-458)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/10803020

--

Rendering with hard top and different wheels on this website. I cannot wait to see the real thing!

http://www.yellowwheels.com/tag/porsche/

I was joking around with my dealer here in Beirut and I was asking about ordering one, they asked for $100 k USD deposit, claiming it was porsche that set that amount.  I laughed it off and said order me 2 cars please.... The thing is we also have a crazy customs duty on cars, upwards of 50% or the car's value..... so if 650 k$ is the real price, it would be selling at close to 1 Million USD, it's insane.... although it is one sweet looking car.  I'm tempted to put my 997.2 TT as a deposit hahha 

Teamspeed

thank for posting the pic, Leblanc

please let them keep the dashboard with the track layout monitor. love it

still stunned by the rim design. But in these pics it does not seem to have the clear plastic cover it had in Geneva.

The rear is just SO utterly gorgeous. 

If I ever see one of these on the road, forget about just being speechless, I just can't imagine what my reaction will be 

--

I was very skeptical of this car after reading about it. Now after seeing it in person, and talking to people who are involved with the development of the car, I am extremely impressed and my doubts are gone.

Some of you may not know, but this car was built in 5 months. There is a working motor(3.4L racing V8) in the car. To get the car up on the display it was only driven in full electric mode which is quite loud. This car has been driven around quite a lot. After looking at the car, you can see a lot of road grime which you could only acquire through quite a lot of driving. There are a few cars out there which are, disguised Cayman/boxter mules, using the 918 chassis and drive train. So the car is already in testing. Many of you have speculated that this car will not out perform the CGT due to it's weight and HP. The HP is NOT final, Expect more. Also expect the weight to be down as well. Remember when word first came out of the CGT it only had 550HP, than for production it had 605, so expect more HP.

Random info I can think of-
    The whole car is currently CF, yet when it goes into production, part of the front end will be aluminum for crash reasons.
    The center console display is a touch screen, which is a first for Porsche.
    If approved they will stick with the camera's for side view mirrors, the display for the mirrors is located in the instrument cluster.
    There is talk of there being a hardtop version and a rag top version as well, He did not know of any RS version.
    The rims are currently 22's, for production expect them to be smaller.
    The car does use regenerative braking, as well as a plug in function to charge the hybrid system.
    Production numbers for this car is unknown at this point, rumors are around 1000-1200.
    The size of the motor will increase in displacement, say from 3.4L to 3.6L.
    The transmission in this car is a PDK, and will most likely go into production as a PDK. There will not be an option for a 6spd on the car.
    The back bumper will be changed for production because they are going to have to put a spot for the license plate somewhere.
    And the tail pipes on the side are unknown on whether or not they will make it to production due to either aerodynamics or customers liking them.
    And this prototype is also pretty cheap, it is only worth over $20mill

Porsche is HOPING to make it where, when the car is ready to be ordered, they will contact you. Ask you what dealer you would like to purchase the car through at MSRP. This will alleviate the hassle of dealers saying who gets them and who doesn't. They are unsure if they can do this in America due to certain laws.

And finally, if you are interested in the car and live on the East coast, Porsche will be bringing the car to Florida. If you are invited to the event GO. If you go, Porsche will contact you and tell you when anymore information is out. Also if you go, you will be given first dibs on the car. Porsche will also be asking you many questions because they want this car to be what customers want, this time around they want the 918 to be very customer friendly.

Pricing has yet to be known, but from what I could tell from the Porsche Reps response, it does seem like its gonna cost you quite a few body parts, if not your first and second child.

Forgot to post this.

It really looks cool indeed.

BiTurbo:

I've had this strange package sitting next to my cayenne car cover for sometime now and didn't bother to open it up until today Smiley

Wanna sell it? :)

I would buy it from You :)

--

2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged

2007 997 GT3

2006 Mercedes G500

1993 964 Turbo (Sold)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752949 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430628 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258557 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255438 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868221 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801762 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM