Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 458 Supertest

Pentium:

Kreso:

"Improved indeed in comparison with F430.

BUT... Price of the  test car... 250K €...

As I wrote few weeks ago-very, very good results. Nothing more IMHO.

Honestly, I expected little bit more, specially for 250K €..."

Exactly my thoughts...

It's the same with all luxury lifestyle goods.

Your wife doesn't buy her 5.000 Euro handbag for its capacity to hold her stuff.

No one buys the 250k Euro Ferrari questioning that missing 1/10 second. It is a conspicuous consumption item and a demonstration of wealth similar to a solid gold diamond studded watch.

To be more fair there is a handful of enthusiasts around who buy Ferrari because of its history and the Enzo legend, but those are becoming fewer and fewer.

--

"Form follows function"

Your comments are off base.

Ferrari does represent conspicuous consumption just as owning a Porsche does. The reason for ownership with either car has nothing to do with appearances but the incomparable pleasure of driving them. Too some the Ferrari is more fun to drive and they buy one. To others, the Porsche provides enormous driving satisfaction.

Are owners fthe CGT or the new 918 Spyder demonstrating their wealth?Smiley

You have a very poor attitude toward those who succeed and buy goods they covet and enjoy.

--

MKSGR:
    mv:
    Pentium:

Similar to Scuderia indeed. Enough said.

458 on normal tires. Scuderia on sport tires.

458 on sport tires would be considerably quicker.

Not quite - the Michelins on the 458 are apparently close to Cups in terms of dry performance (SportAuto says so + the wet handling times are that worse that I tend to believe the comment on tyres in the text) Smiley

Wet handling seemed strange to me as well. Makes sense.

Results are quite disappointing then.

nberry:

You have a very poor attitude toward those who succeed and buy goods they covet and enjoy.

A yellow Ferrari spyder and a gold watch are signs of success in life, in your way of thinking?

Someone can be a peasant with lots of $$$ too.

--

"Form follows function"

REALZEUS:
    Leblanc:
    REALZEUS:

Since when are Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Paganis etc bargains? If you want best value for money you buy yourself a GTR...

WRONG..you buy a Porsche.

Yes I forgot about that... Porsches are the answer to all questions on this forum.Smiley

SmileySmileySmiley Smiley

I doubt that KresoF1 have thought in the GTR when he made that comment about value for money

I seriously doubt that who is looking for a Supercar (WITH A BIG S) and bring into account cars like Pagani, Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo etc and look at the GTR in the same way.Like a said before the GTR is a great car, if you can live with is know drawbacks but against them it has no chance.Its a fast,unreliable "appliance" with no soul or passion.It drives you not you.  However It comes in my cars list but way way lower.

Value for money performance wise???  Lets see 250K 458 - 7:38 or 120K GT3 7:40 or maybe Porsche Turbo (but not for me the real 458 competitor)...A car that can compete neck a neck in terms of performance,design,heritage,passion yes yes passion but a cold one,driving feel and so on.Name another if you can.

And really if you are looking for best value for money the EVO X is the better answer it cost half as much,has 4 real seats,is reliable and cheap to maintain so....

Do you know who wrote this?

Re: Porsche 911 GT2 RS

Jul 21, 2010 6:25 PM

They are totally different cars and both amazing.Who is faster? Don´t care less.

I hope Autocar makes a proper video review of it.

Cheers

I only see Porsche every here...Im doomed.

OFFTOPIC: Where is the guy that owned a GTR before the 458...i would love to know what he thinks now.

Dimitri stated before he sold it and got is 458 that it was the best handling car he has owned. I believe he went further and stated it may be the best car he ever owned.Smiley

--

mv:
    MKSGR:
    mv:
    Pentium:

Similar to Scuderia indeed. Enough said.

458 on normal tires. Scuderia on sport tires.

458 on sport tires would be considerably quicker.

Not quite - the Michelins on the 458 are apparently close to Cups in terms of dry performance (SportAuto says so + the wet handling times are that worse that I tend to believe the comment on tyres in the text) Smiley

Wet handling seemed strange to me as well. Makes sense.

Results are quite disappointing then.

Just look at SLS AMG Supertest results:

Ring 7.40min

Hockenheim 1.10,8min

Wet handling 2s(!!) faster then 458...

Equiped with standard Conti 5 tires which are special development for SLS.

With full options almost 30K € less then price of that 250K € test example of 458.

Uh... Honestly? I am thinking even harder right now about ordering SLS AMG.

BTW, SLS AMG is faster then 997.2 Turbo S on both Hockenheim and Nordschliefe. Question now will be how fast on the Ring is 997.2 Turbo S? Marginally faster then R8 V10-with Cup tires... That means enough for some people...

I was thinking about only two cars:

997.2 Turbo S-as fast on the road(in real life autbahn situations-even faster then 458), slower on the track

SLS AMG-almost as fast on the track as 458, slower on the road(also dependable on situation-sometimes bigger torque wins also). BUT.... Test drive one... I drove it twice already. Amazing sportscar.

I believe only a very small minority of potential buyers would compare the 3 cars (SLS, Turbo S, 458 Italia) on the basis of a second here or there on the NBR or the fine nuances in handling.

The decision will be based on name, styling, brand loyalty, affordability, number of cars owned even comfort and space.

The magazine times and other objective criteria are for a small number of very hard core enthusiasts like yourself and a few others.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

I believe only a very small minority of potential buyers would compare the 3 cars (SLS, Turbo S, 458 Italia) on the basis of a second here or there on the NBR or the fine nuances in handling.

The decision will be based on name, styling, brand loyalty, affordability, number of cars owned even comfort and space.

The magazine times and other objective criteria are for a small number of very hard core enthusiasts like yourself and a few others.

--

"Form follows function"

+1

If I were to have only 1 car, then it is 997.2 Turbo S. No matter what it is NoS time.

If I had a nice DD, such as a good SUV or 5-7 series, I would definately go for the 458. Wouldn't care about NoS time, it is already very good.

If I had a Scud. or something like Lp560-4, I would go for the SLS.

I think, after some margin, it doesn't matter how faster it is on NoS. I mean if 458 lpped the Ring in 7:50 or SLS had lapped it in 8:00, these would be very very poor results. But the current results are more than satisfiying.

They are all FAST and FUN. It only depends on your living style and social status. You can't go wrong with any of them.

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW (On ORDER)

09 Audi TTS Coupe / 07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

reginos +1

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

nberry:

Dimitri stated before he sold it and got is 458 that it was the best handling car he has owned. I believe he went further and stated it may be the best car he ever owned.Smiley

I saw that,it was a real bold statement,but now with more miles on the clock on his Italia so could his opinion change

I forgot to mention R8 V10 and SLS in the other post...great value too.

What matters is : when in the end of your drive you feel goose bumps it proves that you choose the right car.

after 2k km on the odo, the italia is a really great car, i am driving it every day, its a car that is schizophrenic, it can turn from a beast to a silent and comfortable every day car at the turn of the manettino, and driven hard it , the steering ,the sound, the gearbox and the rest put a smile on your face like only a ferrari does.  on the other hand, i still think for agressive driving, scalpel precision driving weapon, nothing comes close to my GTR, IMHO it would kill any other car on the road, there is just something about this car. when i say my gtr, for those who dont know its no standard car, it was tuned to 680HP, while remaining as drivable as the stock car.

--

2010 Ferrari 458 Italia 

2009 Fiat 500 Abarth SS Ferrari 

A 680 HP tuned GTR is hardly a fair comparisson standard. You should get your 720 HP Scuderia back I think. 

At any rate, all supercars are absurdly fast; when was the last time anyone called for more performance? 

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

REALZEUS:

A 680 HP tuned GTR is hardly a fair comparisson standard. You should get your 720 HP Scuderia back I think. 

At any rate, all supercars are absurdly fast; when was the last time anyone called for more performance? 

you know, the 720hp were never comfortable, and the chassis could never cope with the power, the car was a straight liner only. the extra hp on the gtr are very comfortable, it you undrestand what i mean.

--

2010 Ferrari 458 Italia 

2009 Fiat 500 Abarth SS Ferrari 

reginos:

--

"Form follows function"

I guess we can agree on this one. Smiley  Smiley

Oh, btw: did somebody already mention that the 997 GT2 RS did the Nordschleife in 7:18 min ? Smiley

Of course this is the manufacturer claim and Sport Auto would probably squeeze a 7:22 time out of it but still...impressive.

A last word regarding the F430 Scuderia: if I would own one, I would keep it and not exchange it with the 458. The Scuderia seems to be a fantastic product. Don't get me wrong, the 458 is a fantastic Ferrari too but if I would have to pay a lot of money just to get a new look, I would stick with the Scuderia.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

RC:
    reginos:

--

"Form follows function"

I guess we can agree on this one. Smiley  Smiley

At last  Smiley Smiley

Oh, btw: did somebody already mention that the 997 GT2 RS did the Nordschleife in 7:18 min ? Smiley

Of course this is the manufacturer claim and Sport Auto would probably squeeze a 7:22 time out of it but still...impressive.

That 7:18 was from the US "Excellence" magazine about Porsche.

--

"Form follows function"

RC:

A last word regarding the F430 Scuderia: if I would own one, I would keep it and not exchange it with the 458. The Scuderia seems to be a fantastic product. Don't get me wrong, the 458 is a fantastic Ferrari too but if I would have to pay a lot of money just to get a new look, I would stick with the Scuderia.

+1

Scuderia is pure sex on the wheels SmileySmiley

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW (On ORDER)

09 Audi TTS Coupe / 07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

I was first on the 458 list. And I said pass. It was the hardest "car" call of my life but now I am much more relaxed about it. To me the Scuderia fits like a glove. And I am talking ONLY about driving capabilities (even that I adore the way it looks too). I truly wonder if I would ever own again a car like this. The other car that was a blast to own was my 997 911 standard Carrera (#267, one of the first made). 2004 to 2009 and 89.000km of daily pure JOY. Each day the car was talking to me and I was learning more and more. I respected that car a lot and I am still sad that I let HER go :) One day I will buy a 911 again (C2 or C2S)... And I wouldn't care one bit if there will be faster cars on the road. Because Scuderia confirmed me what I was suspecting for a long time: I am the one car type of guy. I hate keeping the other cars in the garage, no matter what brand are or how cheap are costing.
    --

There is no try. Just do.

Thank you for your reply Dhayek. I didn´t know it was tunned....680hp wow.Sure its fast.

Regarding the Ferrrari Scuderia,preferably the 16M, i would do the same and keep it forever.It looks a raw mean machine.

reginos:

They got the 7:18 from a Porsche testdriver.  Smiley

It is the best time Porsche achieved with a GT2 RS prototype (but with standard specs like the production model).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

RC:
    reginos:

They got the 7:18 from a Porsche testdriver.  Smiley

It is the best time Porsche achieved with a GT2 RS prototype (but with standard specs like the production model).

I know that 7.18 is Porsche internal time. What I meant was that the Excellence magazine was my source of information. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

--

"Form follows function"

7:18 was a part of initial press release.

Later, 7:11 was mentioned on this board...

Pentium:
    I was first on the 458 list. And I said pass. It was the hardest "car" call of my life but now I am much more relaxed about it. To me the Scuderia fits like a glove. And I am talking ONLY about driving capabilities (even that I adore the way it looks too). I truly wonder if I would ever own again a car like this. The other car that was a blast to own was my 997 911 standard Carrera (#267, one of the first made). 2004 to 2009 and 89.000km of daily pure JOY. Each day the car was talking to me and I was learning more and more. I respected that car a lot and I am still sad that I let HER go :) One day I will buy a 911 again (C2 or C2S)... And I wouldn't care one bit if there will be faster cars on the road. Because Scuderia confirmed me what I was suspecting for a long time: I am the one car type of guy. I hate keeping the other cars in the garage, no matter what brand are or how cheap are costing.

That´s a great comment and reflects much more about what car ownership should be about than all those magazine test. By the way, did you sell the Scuderia at last?

Smiley

dhayek:

after 2k km on the odo, the italia is a really great car, i am driving it every day, its a car that is schizophrenic, it can turn from a beast to a silent and comfortable every day car at the turn of the manettino, and driven hard it , the steering ,the sound, the gearbox and the rest put a smile on your face like only a ferrari does.  on the other hand, i still think for agressive driving, scalpel precision driving weapon, nothing comes close to my GTR, IMHO it would kill any other car on the road, there is just something about this car. when i say my gtr, for those who dont know its no standard car, it was tuned to 680HP, while remaining as drivable as the stock car.

came across this today and found it fascinating

Last June we learned about an award that several Ford researchers had received for a cylinder bore coating system they developed called the Plasma Transferred Wire Arc (PTWA) process. The Ford press release at the time framed the award in terms of fuel efficiency and gave no real hint about what was about to come. It now turns out that the first production Ford to use the PTWA process will be the 2011 GT500.

Nissan actually licensed PTWA from Ford for use on its V6 engine in the GT-R.

The heart of the PTWA process involves feeding a steel wire into a device that heats it up to 35,000 degrees Fahrenheit and then sprays it onto the aluminum cylinder bores. Ford is not actually the first company to use a process like this. Similar mechanisms have been used to coat the fan blades in jet engines for a number of years. One of the primary differences is that Ford is using PTWA with a conventional steel alloy rather than some super exotic aerospace material. Ford isn't even the first automaker to use this specific coating process. That honor falls to Nissan, which actually licensed the technology from Ford for use on its V6 engine in the GT-R.

Hameedi believes that Ford has an important advantage over Nissan. Anyone that has ever used a teflon-coated pan is familiar with the problem of the non-stick coating peeling off over time. In the past BMW has also had issues with the nickasil coatings prematurely separating on some of its aluminum blocks. Getting any dissimilar materials to adhere to each other is always a problem, so the initial surface has to be specially prepared in order for the coating to have something to hang on to. Nissan licensed Ford's coating technology but used its own surface preparation process. According to Hameedi, Ford's surface preparation works so well that even after engines have gone through a full durability cycle the bores still look like new.

Thank you SO much for your kind words Ferdie. Smiley

People approached me biding for the Scuderia but somehow they were under the impression that I want to sell the car because I have some financial problems (thanks God, that's not the case for now) and the offering prices were reflecting that. So I didn't. I still have it. It's truly a great Ferrari.

If I would be wealthier I would never sell it.

--

There is no try. Just do.

mv:

7:18 was a part of initial press release.

Later, 7:11 was mentioned on this board...

As far as I heard, the car which achieved the 7:11 time wasn't "standard", it had a different chassis setup and apparently other enhancements too (apparently a testmule and not a final production car).

--

......maybe 991 GT2RS. 1280145006107runaway2.gif

Pentium:

I still have it. It's truly a great Ferrari.

... so you have some more time to enjoy this magnificent car. Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690524 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409779 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256038 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235280 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65650 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858453 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774746 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM