Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren MP4-12C supercar: official press release...

McLaren MP4-12C makes flying debut at Goodwood FOS 2010...

The innovative new McLaren MP4-12C was given its public world debut at the 2010 Goodwood Festival of Speed, held from 1-4 July 2010. Formula 1 World Champion Jenson Button and 2008 Formula 1 World Champion Lewis Hamilton delighted the crowds by driving a McLaren Orange Validation Prototype (VP) 12C up the famous Goodwood Hill on Saturday and Sunday respectively...

Smiley SmileySmiley

Both videos are excellent. Silver MP4-12C looks totally awsome IMHO. I must admit, more I look at MP4-12C more I like it.

And who knew Jenson was a lefty...

KresoF1:

Both videos are excellent. Silver MP4-12C looks totally awsome IMHO. I must admit, more I look at MP4-12C more I like it.

Same here, when it first came out i was a bit negative about it, but with all the videos and new pictures I'm really liking the car a lot. I assume its the kind of car that doesn't translate that well on pictures.

The MP4 front reminds more and more the Ferrari 360, wish in my view is totally outdated. I think they could have made it more unique like the first model, the lines are kind of "deja vu".

J.Seven

J.Seven:

The MP4 front reminds more and more the Ferrari 360, wish in my view is totally outdated. I think they could have made it more unique like the first model, the lines are kind of "deja vu".

J.Seven

Agreed. IMO the front gets a little bit better if you chosse the lower lip painted in body colour instead of standard plastic or optional CF. That is only the case for colours different to black or dark grey of course.

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Need to see it in different colors and in real life. A couple of those high-res orange shots are growing on me though. Verdict is still out.

The traditional McLaren Orange is fantastic:

Silver is just about perfect too:

Black also has potential:

My personal favorite seems to be Azure Blue. Can't wait to see it completed though I'd go for a carbon splitter in the front.

>8^)
    ER

just spent another 2 hours with the car, grilling the mclaren people with technical details. I am getting to like this car more and more. People should reserve judgement until they see it live. Look stunning in silver!

Kreso, the gearbox apparently takes up to 750nm. The carbon ceramics are not that heavier than the steels and also the super lightweight wheels are 6kgs lighter than the sport wheels and 10 kgs than the standard wheels! I maintain ceramics are a must for people intending to drive very hard, track it etc and the mclaren people suggested the same.

Also the car has on board diagnostics and video cameras for trackdays as an extra..! A lot of the carbon bits look really nice, but i guess they will be really expensive and the price will sky rocket..

The chassis/suspension setup with the active system regulating hydraulically roll and yaw while keep the suspension soft at the straights might just prove to be light years ahead of competition. Apparently they pitted this car against pretty much everything out there (Ps, Fs, Lambos etc) and they say it scores better than even the P GT cars.. It has noticeably less understeer while at the same time exhibits no roll at all and is comfortable like a jag on normal mode.. Well they would say that, wouldn't they, but cant wait to see what the first tests show. I am trying to get a test drive for this fall.

hint; 0-200 is 9.5sec or less,  0-100 less the 3.4 secs. The 458 was measured around 10.3-10.5secs apparently. 

My personal favorite seems to be Azure Blue. Can't wait to see it completed though I'd go for a carbon splitter in the front. 

Azure Blue on the ground and almost in one piece - WOW!   Smiley

I like the white interior, but wouldn't want to try to keep it looking that nice.

>8^)
    ER

Peloton25:

Azure Blue on the ground and almost in one piece - WOW!   Smiley

I like the white interior, but wouldn't want to try to keep it looking that nice.

>8^)
    ER

Wow - what a beautifiul color SmileySmileySmiley

Stupid question, How do you get in and out of the car if other cars park on each side?

--

nberry:

Stupid question, How do you get in and out of the car if other cars park on each side?

SmileySmiley  I was thinking the exact same thing earlier today when i saw some pics of the car with the door opened. 

nberry:

One valid justification for that door layout is that it does, in fact, add less to the width of the car in a parking bay when a door is opened than if that same wide door was to swing horizontally.  Check out the pics above to see what I mean. Smiley

Another thing, would you want to park a McLaren in a parking slot at the local 7eleven store which is so tight that the driver of an ancient Oldsmobile next to you would ding it when he swung his door open to get into it?  Smiley

--

fritz

Fritz, I thought of that before I wrote the question. I could not tell to what extend they slide horizontally but I assumed the designed MUST have taken it into account.Smiley

FYI, I parked my 430 away from cars in lots and yet invariably someone in a pickup truck would park next to me. Once I was at the outer limit of the lot and when I came out of the store, there were two cars on each side of me and the lot was relatively empty. People tend to park their cars next to expensive ones hoping a transformation occurs.Smiley

--

Another beauty shot:

>8^)
    ER

Just a personal view - it's no doubt an amazing car with truly prodigious performance figures - but somehow it is missing something in my eyes - there's a wow factor that a Lamborghini or a Ferrari has that excites me whereas this car just doesn't do that for me.

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Rennteam signature photo 2.jpg

nberry:

FYI, I parked my 430 away from cars in lots and yet invariably someone in a pickup truck would park next to me. Once I was at the outer limit of the lot and when I came out of the store, there were two cars on each side of me and the lot was relatively empty. 

That's what you get for driving such an attractive car, I guess. Smiley

Whilst I'm not anal about it, I also tend to look for parking spots where I don't expect others to park to the left or right of it, regardless of whether it's a Porsche or something more mundane.
    It does occasionally lead to complaints from my better half about the longer walk though. Smiley

--

fritz

McLaren MP4-12C spy video...

McLaren-MP4-12C_video-link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Experimental prototype VP8 caught out in the wild. It seems the underside of the doors takes a good pounding from debris thrown up by the front wheels.

VP8 1.JPGVP8 2.JPG

ISUK:

Experimental prototype VP8 caught out in the wild. It seems the underside of the doors takes a good pounding from debris thrown up by the front wheel.

That looks really ugly with the door open! Smiley

With the door closed too 

I think it is a good looking car, but very color dependant. In silver, gray, black, or orange I think it looks great. Definitely not a fan of the blue, white looks good. What I like most about this car is the attention to detail and engineering effort put into its design/mechanicals. I am looking forward to a comparison test between this car and some combination of the 458, turbo S (or GT2 RS), 560-4, or R8-V10.

McLaren-MP4-12C_Orange-01.jpg

McLaren-MP4-12C_Orange-02.jpg

1279044267210McLaren-MP4-12C_silver-01.jpg

McLaren-MP4-12C_silver-02.jpg

McLaren-MP4-12C_silver-03.jpg

McLaren-MP4-12C_silver-04.jpg

McLaren-MP4-12C_silver-05.jpg

McLaren-MP4-12C_silver-06.jpg

Smiley SmileySmiley

FACTORY TOUR: BEHIND THE SCENES AT MCLAREN...

(9 July 2010)

It's extremely hard to believe that McLaren Automotive is a British sports car outfit. Its meticulously spotless Woking HQ, the professional air of quiet, assured efficiency, the fact that the new production facility for the MP4-12C is three weeks ahead of schedule.

It's all rather at odds with the traditional pencil-behind-ear, garden shed image of the small-volume British sports car industry. McLaren is serious about making sports cars and it shows. When you visit, there is the sense that McLaren has thought of everything, and that it knows that its plan to build 4000 MP4-12Cs a year cannot be anything other than a resounding success. It's something I've only ever experienced before with German or Japanese manufacturers. Let's not call it smugness or arrogance - let's call it quiet confidence.

We're here at the McLaren Technology Centre basically to piggy-back on the product presentation and facility tour being given to dealers, as it's a great chance to get close to the new MP4-12C and the people who will be making it.

Having been ferried to the MTC reception past the mound of earth and large concrete-filled hole that will become the factory for the new car, we're ushered to a tea and coffee stand, around which are clustered several McLaren F1s (no Mercedes McLaren SLRs in sight), before we file off to a room for a presentation on the car.

I won't go into great detail about the new Macca - if you want that, you can read the 23-page official press release(!) - but a chat with Christian Marti, McLaren's regional director for Europe, reveal some fascinating insights into the attention to detail, technology and focus that's gone into the car.

The carbon fibre monocell, for instance, (a naked example of which is displayed next to the car) is an utterly astounding piece of engineering. It weighs less than 80kg, and is a one-piece moulding. Thanks to the clever design of the front and rear aluminium subframes (which are bolted rather than bonded to the carbon central monocoque), the Carbon fibre tub is all-but indestructible. McLaren was even able to re-use a single tub during crash testing.

Another intriguing aspect of the car is the absence of anti-roll bars. Instead, hydraulic fluid is pumped around the dampers. The result, says McLaren, is more adjustable, and helps to deliver the highest levels of lateral grip of any road car as well as being 'more comfortable than a BMW 3-series' in terms of ride quality. Crikey.

But if you really want to get a handle on how much thought has gone into the MP4-12C, muse on this: McLaren has developed an entirely bespoke air conditioning system for the car, because the narrowest existing system is 2cm too wide. This would have meant a wider centre console, a compromised driving position, and a wider and heavier car. So McLaren built its own air-con.

The same unbelievable lateral thinking goes into every aspect of McLaren Automotive. Take the size of the new factory floor. As factory boss Alan Foster explains when he shows us around the current assembly floor - where the final-phase prototypes are currently being built, and where the first four months-worth of production will take place. The new factory assembly hall will be 99x198 metres, he say, rather than 100x200m. Why? Because with the particular tiles McLaren is using, these dimensions mean it won't have to cut any to make the factory floor, saving time and money. Clever.

The factory floor as it stands is pretty impressive. It's small, and there are currently only five cars in build, but everything is sparklingly clean, and everybody working on the cars seems relaxed and focused on the job in hand. It's more like a scientific laboratory than an assembly hall.

There are similarities with the better high-volume car assembly plants, however, most notable of which is an adherence to the mantra that 'no fault is fed forward'. If one of the technicians finds a fault, they fix it there and then, rather than when it gets to the end of the line. There are also electronic ID swipe cards at every station, so that everything - at every stage - done by anyone is carefully recorded.

With the memory of such diligence of design and build fresh in our heads, the bullish confidence of Ron Dennis - who says a few words to us before we are shuttled back to the 'real world' - doesn't seem at all misplaced.

"To win, you have to be the best," he says. "So we are bravely, and without flinching, investing in our future. We will bring the same level of effort and focus to our customers as we do to winning Grands Prix."

British industry could do with more people like Ron Dennis. And more companies like McLaren.

McLaren-Factory-Tour_PH-Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Those assembly line shots show there is no way you are getting out of an MP4 if you are in a regular sized European  car park with cars parked either side. Unlike a conventional door which you can partially open and almost slither out of in a restricted space, the doors on this car need to open fully to let you get out it appears. Imagine parking in an empty car park, going away then coming back to find cars parked close by on either side. You may not be able to get back in your car

Haha, true. That is a very obvious design flaw. They may look cool, but there's a reason they can't be found on millions of other cars.

Peloton25:

Another beauty shot:

>8^)
    ER

Lol that's me in the back speaking to the rep.. Hillarious

GT:
    Peloton25:

Another beauty shot:

>8^)
    ER

really ? what a small little world we live in.

GT:

So you are Boris Becker´s little brother. Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781133 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442633 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263388 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261703 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85842 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5923 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881466 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819038 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM