Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: pretty dam impressive

Tesla's 300 miles means no throttle usage, use the brake regen vigorously.

If one drives NORMALLY, the range probably dropped to about 175-200miles, Might be less in the 150-175miles range.

I live in Tesla's HQ town, Palo Alto, and I can tell you that just speaking to friends around here , most in tech , law , medicine - and where every home seems to have a Prius parked out front  , never mind the  $$$ cars tucked in the garage , that we here in trend setting Silicon Valley could probably buy up the first couple years production of the sleek 7 seater Tesla S alone

( Tesla Roadsters are a dime a dozen around here , as ugly as they are compared to an Elise ) .

A Palo Alto company is leading the way to building  charging stations worldwide from our local area  , to Europe , Middle East , Australia and now China :

www.betterplace.com/

We are uniquely placed in this community  with brain power and VCs to lead the green tech $$$ march , just  as we did for chips/software and now consumer electronics ( fellow Palo Altan Steve Job's company overtook Microsoft today as the largest tech company in the world by market cap - amazing when Apple was near bankruptcy 13 years ago when he returned after getting Pixar on solid footing - and when  Microsoft had a market cap of 500+ Billion USD , now less than half of that ) .Green = greenbacks , to us.  We lead, the world will eventually follow . 

SmileySmiley

Tesla S , penned by en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_von_Holzhausen

Great neighborhood MKW, must be nice to live in such a vibrant area.

I lost my previous post due to something goofy with the software so all I will say is WHY the negativity? Why would you want to continue down a road of a scarce resource that scummy people manipulate, that causes the trouble it does, wars, gulf of mexico etc....  when you can have clean almost limitless transportation?

Don't worry about niche markets like classic gas powered cars, I will always have mine and there will be plenty of gas for it.

Hey MKW we might be neighbors. Let me know if you hear/see an obnoxiously loud LM Blue E39 M5 driving around. I too am a big fan of Tesla, I think I want to work there!

IPO tomorrow! I am in for a modest amount.

Some great info on production methods/plans;

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog2/?p=182

racerx:

IPO tomorrow! I am in for a modest amount.

Some great info on production methods/plans;

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog2/?p=182

I was unable to get any from Goldman as the offering closed one day early. They allocated most of them to US clients unfortunately. How much did you get?

90M shares at 15 dollars from a company without profit. The hype is uncanny! 

--

www.youtube.com/watch

prospectus with color pics

http://www.retailroadshow.com/sys/docView.asp?i=912

highlights 160 - 300 mile range models

fast charge capability in 45 minutes

battery pack capable of quick swap option

Currently doing work for Daimler - STILL

Getting the factory in effect for free in stock buy Toyota

The only downside I see is the ridiculous time delay before they sell the Model S. I really want them to start selling it next spring and see no reason why they can't/won't.

The strategy should buy at pre-ipo to ride the hypes, then sell before they announce that they can't deliver (which most likely will be the case) and buy again.

--

www.youtube.com/watch

william:

The strategy should buy at pre-ipo to ride the hypes, then sell when they can't deliver (which mostly will be the case) and buy again.

I have spent the last 24 hours reading lots of negative crap all over the web from haters/the uninformed etc but William why the "they can't deliver" negative tone to your post?Smiley

Please explain

I look at Telsa as one of the old 'dot com' stock. Its pretty clear that from a company balance sheet which shows a net loss of 30M in 3months of 2010 and get almost 15B worth of valuation. It's has to be overly hyped. Usually any stocks that are overly hyped will deliver under-expectation. It doesn't mean Telsa will fail, but that's the trend I would predict the stock will play out. 

I am looking at Telsa as an private investor not a hater. I maybe wrong, so feel free to share your side as well.

--

www.youtube.com/watch

I also completely respect Telsa's business vision. Electric car used to be a disruptive area many years ago as battery technology evolved. Telsa is the first player to build a well known brand in this field. There's no doubt the story will sell. I also hope they will succeed as I am one of the investor.

--

www.youtube.com/watch

Move your decimal point if priced at $15.00/share the company will be valued at 1.5 billion not 15!!!!!!!!!!

The stock is secondary, the US economy and the Planet needs electric cars to become the norm and get us off oil for normal transportation. We need a new paradigm in car manufacturing from can-do silicon types vs. rust belt bloated dinosaurs. There will always be enough gas for us to drive our small niche sports cars.

They have everything in place, including the factory stamping equipment, the tech, the money. Tesla has $465m from the govt., $50m from TM, $180m IPO, $200m investment capital and $50m from Daimler. Close to $1b in investments.

It is a REAL product - there are at least 4 ACTUAL MODEL S vehicles driving around. It is not some clay model with unproven tech or parts. Everything exists. You can drive the dam thing.

They know how to do it, They HAVE done it, it has already been delivered. All the info/evidence/proof is on this thread already and in the links. For anyone to question Tesla is simply intellectual laziness.

Just 2 years ago highly paid "journalists" doubted the possibility of an electric car and now we have the Tesla Model S, better looking and more cpapble than most high end sedans from companies in business 100 years.

Give Musk and his team some respect and some credit!

racerx:

Move your decimal point if priced at $15.00/share the company will be valued at 1.5 billion not 15!!!!!!!!!!

you are right - I misread that they are offering 90M shares. That sounded more reasonable.

--

www.youtube.com/watch

Again the are at least 4 running examples of the Model S, in a link provided above they describe the stamping equipment they already own/operate.

So specify exactly what will stop them, now that they have built numerous working examples.

Name 1 hurdle.

One major risk would be their lack of mass production experience. The concept of the Tesla S will be a mass production vehicle, unlike the first model Tesla which focus on niche market with a very small production number.  Designing and build 5 or 10 prototypes is very different than mass produce 10 of thousands of vehicles a year.  A simple misstep and recalls could lead to major losses. There are reasons why car manufacturing is one of the highest entry barrier industry in the market.

That doesn't mean they can't achieve their vision,  I predict the stock will climb initially and will see correction base on some fallback in expectation and possibly product delay. Despite all that, I still believe the Tesla S will eventually make it to market.

--

www.youtube.com/watch

The stock and the abilty to make the Model S are 2 distinct subjects, i have been out of the market for a while because the market is no longer connected to reality.

But again if you would have read the material presented you would have seen the prior experience of the Tesla production team and the fact that the recent agreements/understanding with Toyota involves production line know how and set-up.

They have it covered as best you can. Time to give Elon a pat on the back!

racerx:

Great neighborhood MKW, must be nice to live in such a vibrant area.

You name it, this car looks so much Wisteria Lane!

But - I really like the car. Looks need and sporty.

very informative , new chief of production was Toyota's chief of production at Nummi

Arnold @6:00 very funny and great @ 12:00

What impresses me about Elon is his ability to get governement,  private corp to invest over 1B, and  with close to 80M lost a year and yet get a 1.5B worth of market cap.  It's another dot com story all over again.

I don't care too much about those fluffy PR stories about clean technology. It's just a story to sell IMO. I looks at Tesla as a business with actual figures and their ability to achieve their numbers. Let's not forget we are in a sport car message board ;) How can we be an environmentalist and a sport car enthusiast at the same time.  That two statement can't logically be together. Even so, I do highly respect what Elon and Tesla achieved in the Electric car industry.

--

www.youtube.com/watch

Well as a business he developed the most advanced product in its category, a category which many claimed would never exist. His first car, a science experiment really, does 0-60 faster than most combustion engined sports cars @ 3.7. Daimler is going to him for technology.

Again with the wrong numbers 7 years of existence, 280 million or so cumulative loss.You yourself said above how car manufacturing has an extremely high barrier of entry due to costs.

Yes we are on a sports car message board here and some of us are real enthusiasts and others just shoe buying women trapped in male bodies. I fix my own car, have pulled the engine, even improve its performance over factory. That's a hobby. Others just buy and think that is something. Sports cars are a tiny fraction of the car population, literally a drop in the bucket. I ONLY drive my sportscar for enjoyment, NEVER for basic transportation needs. For that electric would do just fine and if you are a Porsche person, you should be well aware of the RUF car.

from their site today - sounds pretty good

1277823869008tesla.jpg

1 minute swap - It's there for the taking, are we(society) smart enough to do it?

1277824220059tesla2.jpg

For the gadget lovers

The Model S powertrain features a liquid-cooled, floor-mounted battery pack and a single-speed gearbox, delivering effortless acceleration, responsive handling and quiet simplicity -- no fancy clutchwork or gear-shifting required. Model S costs about $4 to fully charge – a bargain even when gasoline is $1 per gallon. You can listen to Pandora Radio or consult Google Maps on the 17 inch touchscreen with in-car 3G connectivity.

Wow it has some amazing technology. We're ready to step away from oil IMO, it's 2010 for christ sake... I think this car will be a huge success, 300mile range is plenty for city driving which 98% of the population does.

BUT unless we change the way we generate electricity there is little to NO benefits in this whole concept.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Atzporsche:

BUT unless we change the way we generate electricity there is little to NO benefits in this whole concept.

Less than 3% of US electricity is generated by oil. So it changes everything right away. No oil imports NO Gulf disasters, NO crazy fluctuations in price. Nukes & plentiful nat gas and always the shitloads of coal as a reserve and hopefully solar and fusion some day.

more interesting VIDEO from Tesla Chief Engineer

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog4/?p=71

Tesla Leaves I.P.O. Price in the Dust

June 30, 2010, 4:52 am — Updated: 4:52 am

Investors took Tesla Motors on a joy ride Tuesday, with shares in the electric carmaker closing up more than 40 percent in its first day of trading.

Tesla’s shares closed at $23.89, up $6.89 from the initial offering price of $17, despite weakness in the broad market and as other auto stocks were hurt by concerns of a global slowdown, giving it a market value of $2.22 billion, Reuters said.

Tesla is the first initial public offering by an American automaker since Ford’s debut in 1956. The offer comes amid heightened interest in electric cars and as major automakers gear up to introduce various types of battery-powered vehicles, including plug-in hybrids.

“They’re competing against both internal combustion engines and alternative fuels like fuel cells, compressed natural gas and things like that,” said Matt Therian, an analyst with Renaissance Capital in Greenwich, Conn. “It’s probably too early to say that electric vehicles are definitely going to be the next thing in cars, but if they are I think the potential is huge.”

It hit my target on the first day despite being one of the worst days in the market in a long time. I do have a good proven record on calling winning stock buys. I have no idea what will happen from here regarding the stock, but I do think Tesla the car company has a great future if they can keep their silicon valley mentality instead of a Detroit one and I really want to see the Model S on sale next year, not 2012.

Go Tesla!

DAM, that MODEL S LOOKS GOOD!!

check it out at 3:00 in Red on a NYC street

and listen to Elon give one of the best series of answers to a negative bunch of BS.

Elon Musk - "Get Tired of being Wrong!"

This car would sell like hotcakes. Imagine if battery breakthru's like the ones I have heard about actually materialize - like 5 to 10 X current performance. Never go to a gas station again or a mechanic. It's not only the clean tech, it's cutting edge car design.

There is just no reason to leave 18 months of sales lying on the ground and letting other companies try and catch up. Tesla should use their extra IPO money to get the line going by spring. No reason why not.

elon.jpg

As predicted,  the stock will have a strong initial climb. It's smart to buy pre-ipo at 17 if you are lucky to get some allocation. I expect some correction soon.

Another IPO I find interesting is AutoNavi. They are the biggest digital map data provider for all luxury car navigation system in China market. I am sure you know that map data for China have an even higher entry barrier. They have good fundamentals with strong China growth potential at pretty attractive valuation. They are also backed by all the big guys from Silicon Valley. That should be interesting.

--

www.youtube.com/watch

william:

As predicted,  the stock will have a strong initial climb. It's smart to buy pre-ipo at 17 if you are lucky to get some allocation. I expect some correction soon.

Another IPO I find interesting is AutoNavi. They are the biggest digital map data provider for all luxury car navigation system in China market. I am sure you know that map data for China have an even higher entry barrier. They have good fundamentals with strong China growth potential at pretty attractive valuation. They are also backed by all the big guys from Silicon Valley. That should be interesting.

Yes I did get some as I said yesterday. Interestingly it has already traded its entire float. and according to these guys there is a lot of demand. But it hit my target, so I am happy. I made 48% ! I am happy in general as I see this as a great story for the things that matter to me - a better future and some hard work and great leadership being rewarded. Congrats to Tesla and their leadership!

Gary K driving Tesla roadster and explaining who wants the stock @:50

I saw the Tesla Roadster with german registration in my hometown over here in Germany, the rear and sides were full of stickers with ads for various energy producing/electronics companies. The car was white and in the rear mirror, it looked like a Lotus or something similar. After I parked my car, the Tesla Roadster came by from another side and passed me. This is when I realized that this was a Tesla Roadster...no engine/exhaust sound, nothing.

Sorry but without any sound, the Tesla Roadster is just a joke on four wheels. I don't drive such a "fun car" without some sound to enjoy from the engine/exhaust.

Things may look different with the sedan though, since comfort may be more of a priority on a larger car for four or five passengers.

As an investment, Tesla could be interesting but as a product ? I don't know...surely not for me.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM