Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: SLS.....It's Done

BjoernB:

let me share some pros/cons after +1000 km driving the SLS

Pros :

- best sound ever - if you drive in M (manual) it blips for every downshift and spits and rumbles like no car I have driven before including other AMG models. You can buy it for the sound alone and be happy with it.

summary :

to me the best "daily" sportscar you can buy and as stated worth to buy alone for the sound. also depreciation costs are estimated to be extremely low. Anybody who hasn't driven one should really get their hands on it to compare !

intouch1:

we need to remember, that this car is an AMG. not a mercedes. it only uses mercedes gauges, knobs etc. but the chassis, layout and driveline are pure AMG and they wanted to get it right. from what i've read and heard it handles on par with any other sportscar and the weight distribution is 43:57. better then a 997 IIRC.

nappy sound.jpg

SOUND

most important car attribute after looks. (I have the best sounding V8 I have ever heard except maybe the 427 SO) combined with the looks and that is why I enjoy mine.

Here is the SLS sound and great drive that I have done in LA. Watch this full screen in 720 - NIce. (originally posted here by Andrea)

great sound

The SLS is an interesting car. Unfortunately I never got to drive it myself, so I can't say much about it's qualities. I can however imagine, also from the many reviews, that the SLS is the sportiest "mass production" AMG Mercedes ever built. For it's price tag, this car is the hell of an offer. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Many congrats, intouch1 - I'm sure you'll enjoy the SLS a lot Smiley

I have not driven the car myself, but I'm under the impression that (unlike those AMG SLs) the SLS not only can go fast straightline but also is quite good at cornering Smiley  Maybe that's the reason why I already saw 4 or 5 different SLS customers having fun at the 'Ring Smiley In real life the car does not have a flashy appearance at all (just IMHO) - just harmonious lines and a really fantastic sound Smiley ("evil" growl which should make any M-pilot envious).

SLS.jpg

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

now that i watched that video, it is the closest sound that i heard to my cobra.....

will take some soundclips in the next days....when i can be bothered to drive it

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

I agree intouch - the Cobra and the SLS have a comparable sound!

Sherif, german Auto Zeitung tested the SLS in their latest issue compared to the 997 Turbo.

0-100 kph: 3.7 seconds (3.2 seconds 997 Turbo)

0-200 kph: 10.9 seconds (10.8 seconds 997 Turbo)

The difference from 0-100 kph was to expect (Turbo and PDK really do well) but up to 200 kph, the difference is almost non-existant. 

Top speed is higher on the SLS and the exhaust sound is out of this world, much better than on the 997 Turbo.

Then...track performance. The SLS won the handling test over the 997 Turbo.

Bottom line is: you bought yourself a very competitive and serious sports car here, congratulations !  

Btw: I think I need to visit you and have a look at that Cobra. This is one of the cars which always fascinated me. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

I'm amazed to read that the SLS won the handling test over the 997 Turbo

Lars997:

Why are you surprised ? The tested SLS was only 50 kg or so heavier than the 997 Turbo.

--

RC:
    Lars997:

Why are you surprised ? The tested SLS was only 50 kg or so heavier than the 997 Turbo.

Christian,

Just to add...

Sport Auto Hockenheim track time for 997.2 Turbo PDK is 1.11,9min with standard Bridgestone tires.

SLS AMG did Hockenheim in 1.10,8min with optional sport suspension and standard Conti tires. Even with standard suspension SLS is only 0,5s slower then that time(1.11,3min) which corrently implies that SLS is actually faster on the track then 997.2 Turbo PDK.

AZ test on Contidrom just confirmed that.

BTW, Auto Bild Sportscars edition tested also recently SLS vs. 997.2 Turbo PDK  with similar outcome-just here on Sachsenring Turbo was marginally faster then SLS.

Since we know that SLS Ring time is 7.40min with standard Conti tires and optional sport suspension we can assume that it is marginally faster on the Ring then 997.2 Turbo PDK or 997.2 Turbo PDK.

That will be confirmed in forthcoming 997.2 Turbo PDK Supertest...Smiley

BUT... IMHO 997.2 Turbo PDK or Turbo S are STILL better and more politically correct buy. Turbo is more usable car(doors, more storage place and easier to accomodate baby seat-very important for me) IMHO. Also, it draws far less attention, specially in GT Silber or Meterograu...Smiley

Lars997:

I was in Germany at the end of April. We were discussing SLS -after we saw it in the Mercedes Dealer just next to the Mercedes Museum- while we were driving to Nurburgring from Stuttgart.

I was just saying that "SLS is another Mercedes which is brutal in straight line, handsome and exclusive BUT it won't do on a race circuit".

Then we stop for fuel in a gas station and bought Sport Auto. In that issue there was a test of SLS vs. R8 V10 vs. 997.2 Turbo PDK.

SLS was quickest on the circuit and faster than Turbo and R8 V10 at NoS. I was shocked with 7:40 time of SLS at NoS Smiley.

Also as far as I remember SLS was the fastest from 0 to 200 km/h in that test.

Nevertheless, I had to chew back what I had just said 15 minutes ago Smiley

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW (On ORDER)

09 Audi TTS Coupe / 07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

RC, you're more than welcome anytime....i will gladly let you slip into the cobra's driver's seat. it IS and experince. brute horsepower to a set of wheels with no steering feel and no brakes....great fun

even if the sls would be slower than  turbo pdk, the reason why i decided on it are not solely performance based. it has the daily driver appeal of the turbo while having something special about i´ts looks. it took me a LOT of thinking to decide to go for it, but now that i did, i am all the more convinced that it is the car to have at the moment. as mentioned before, the doors are what makes it's special appeal to me and really is 70% of the 'go for it' decision.

i have not specced the performance suspension as it is of no use on our roads and to me it is frankly not  about maximum performance. it's about a good looking daily driver with plenty of power. simply the overall package.

btw, does anyone know it the sls will become a standard production item or is it more of a one off ?

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

I think AWD has a lot to do with it. The feeling is heavier compared to RWD. Also, there is more flexibility in what you can do handling wise with RWD.

I will say when I was asked to critique the car (with six others) over two years ago on both occasions we felt based on the car styling i.e. long hood front engine it would be a straight line monster but not track worthy.  Its performance at the Ring is a surprise.Smiley

--

nberry:

I think AWD has a lot to do with it. The feeling is heavier compared to RWD. Also, there is more flexibility in what you can do handling wise with RWD.

I will say when I was asked to critique the car (with six others) over two years ago on both occasions we felt based on the car styling i.e. long hood front engine it would be a straight line monster but not track worthy.  Its performance at the Ring is a surprise.Smiley

Yes, SLS AMG is fast on the Ring-with optional Sport suspension. Just, also that suspension is very, very hard for daily usage.

ALSO... 997.2 Turbo PDK or Turbo S are not slower on every track. On some they are faster then SLS AMG. Porsche is cheaper and more usable daily. Not to talk about wet road or snow... More important thing-997.2 Turbo PDK is faster in normal driving(autobahn or windy road). I am talking here from personal experience..

as a pure driver's car, i'd pick a 911 any and everytime. to me they are beyond good and secod to none in 'feel'

however, as a means of 'change' the sls is perfect i think. more subtle than a ferrri or lambo by being a benz but still cool and very different imo.

my heart shouts 997 turbo s pdk.....but as mentioned before, that would make no sense at all for me. rather go for sls now and then see wht porsche have in store for us with the 991.

--

racerx:

SOUND

most important car attribute after looks. (I have the best sounding V8 I have ever heard except maybe the 427 SO) combined with the looks and that is why I enjoy mine.

OT, but if they could package this sound into a road car we'd have a clear winner:

naaaaaahhhhhhh  that's just a whiny high pitched sound imo.

Best sounds; (in no order) -

CGT with custom exhaust (video)

599 GTO (autocar video)

Ford 427 SO (video)

stradale going thru forest (video)

355 challenge car straight pipes (no video)

My 928 (no video)

the One-77

3 screamers, 1 massive V8, 1 hybrid V8, 1 unique V10 and the still somewhat secret huge v12

Gentlemen, don't be deceived by artificial exhaust sounds. I much prefer the unadulterated sound of the engine roar. As far as production cars go, the CGT has without a doubt the ultimate engine sound.

Every time I drove Ben's CGT and Ben was driving my 430 coupe, I much preferred the sound of the CGT compared to my 430. It was pure engine speak and blew me away.

--

Also realize that car engine/exhaust sounds are often distorted in video. You need to hear some cars in person to appreciate their sounds.

I guess sound (or more like it music) is a subjective matter. I find the brutal, high pitched scream of the Enzo as the best I have ever heard. I haven't heard a 599 GTO up close yet, but judging by the videos, I think it's scream is second to the afforemention Enzo. I would rate the CGT joint 3rd together with the Scuderia and the LFA.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Sherif...there is now an iPhone app called SLS AMG...it is free from the Apple apps store. Smiley

Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on that...in a couple of years...when my kids are older. Until then, I guess I won't find my way to Egypt. Smiley

--

was already playing with tht app 2 days ago

i am currently consuming anything i find with 'sls' in it...

you're kids might actually enjoy the red sea very much.

bring them over for a diving course, or kiting or windsurfing.

there's plenty to do here and in fact it is quite nice when you know 'locals' that show you the good side of it away from the all-inclusive crowds....

cobra is staying anyways....so whenever you decide just let me know !

--

Red sea is IMO the best place for holidays with or without kids. I've been couple times down there and I always was surprised in a positive way. And just to put this in the right perspective, I'm a permanent biz traveller, staying since 15 years apprx. 200 nights/year in Hotels. In other words - I'm very demanding and spoiled (after that many Hotel nights you are getting picky). Of course, there are many Hotels along the red sea, even 5 stars which are far away from what we would call Luxury, but there are couple of great Hotels which are real Oasis and on a high world class standard. This in regard of rooms, service and very important, also regarding food. Looking to the sea, always clear, always warm, need - just perfect. Scuba diving probably one of the best places in the world. Give a try, you won't be disappointed.

Lars...next time you plan to visit the area give me a shout....

--

Lars997:
    Red sea is IMO the best place for holidays with or without kids. I've been couple times down there and I always was surprised in a positive way. And just to put this in the right perspective, I'm a permanent biz traveller, staying since 15 years apprx. 200 nights/year in Hotels. In other words - I'm very demanding and spoiled (after that many Hotel nights you are getting picky). Of course, there are many Hotels along the red sea, even 5 stars which are far away from what we would call Luxury, but there are couple of great Hotels which are real Oasis and on a high world class standard. This in regard of rooms, service and very important, also regarding food. Looking to the sea, always clear, always warm, need - just perfect. Scuba diving probably one of the best places in the world. Give a try, you won't be disappointed.

Have been a few time and always had a great stay ( nearly Smiley ), whether it was a ''cheap'' hotel only to go diving, or a 5 star .  Last Chritmas I we went with the kids ( aged 3, 5 and 7 ) and we all had great fun for a very correct price and not much traveling . The perfect spot to go to from Europe when you do not want to spend too much nor do too many flight ours Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

now bck to sls talk please

--

intouch1:

was already playing with tht app 2 days ago

i am currently consuming anything i find with 'sls' in it...

you're kids might actually enjoy the red sea very much.

bring them over for a diving course, or kiting or windsurfing.

there's plenty to do here and in fact it is quite nice when you know 'locals' that show you the good side of it away from the all-inclusive crowds....

cobra is staying anyways....so whenever you decide just let me know !

Sounds great, thanks. I have my reasons for not traveling with the kids to the region but maybe we should discuss this matter in a more private manner when we meet sometimes in the future. Smiley

--

intouch1:

someone is impatient Smiley 

intouch1:

Initially I don't like the SLS at all.  The more I see it the more I like it.

In the US it costs approx $200,000.  It does not have any director competitors in the $190k to $200k range.

To me, the closest competitors to be cross shopped by a buyer would be the R8 V10 & Porsche Turbo both of which cost less.

The hood is too long, butt too short, but the gull wing doors are something else.  There is just something very special about a door that goes up.  And then there is the engine sound.  It would be the perfect daily driver.  I would take it over a Turbo.

The long hood will be a problem. The new McLaren has a short down slopping hood as does the Porsche, Gallardo and Ferrari. The SLS hood is not designed for performance for the average driver. Though I did not drive it ,I spent a lot of time in the driver seat and the front view is not good. To me visibility was poor.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689529 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409213 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255730 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234981 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65524 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4646 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857952 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774008 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM