Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche 991 GT3 to include GT1 motorsport engine... Thread Closed

wedouglas:

One thing I am certain about is that the new 911 will be better than the last. Whether or not you like the feeling will be subjective.

I guess that depends how you define "better".  I would say that if someone enjoys driving it less, then it isn't better (for them anyways).

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

Rennteam Analysis: "Sports car dimensions through the years..."

Nissan GT-R: 2,780mm wheelbase 

1-Nissan-GTR.jpg

BMW M3 V8: 2,761mm wheelbase

2-BMW-M3-V8.jpg

Ferrari 599 GTB: 2,750mm wheelbase

3-Ferrari-599.jpg

Aston Martin DBS: 2,740mm wheelbase

4-Aston-Martin-DBS.jpg

McLaren F1: 2,718mm wheelbase

5-McLaren-F1.jpg

Audi R8 V10: 2,650mm wheelbase

6-Audi-R8-V10.jpg

Aston Martin V8 Vantage: 2,600mm wheelbase

7-Aston-Martin-V8-Vantage.jpg

Lamborghini Gallardo LP560: 2,560mm wheelbase

8-Lamborghini-Gallardo-LP-560.jpg

2010 Porsche 997.2 GT3 RS: 2,355mm wheelbase

9-Porsche-911-GT3-RS_Diagram.jpg

1966 Porsche 911 2.0 S: 2,210mm wheelbase

1966-Porsche-911-2-litre.jpg

Rennteam addendum...

Light Car Company Rocket: 2,400mm wheelbase

10-LCC-Rocket_Autocar-specifications.jpg

McLaren F1 -- Autocar original road test...

11-McLaren-F1_Autocar-specification.jpg

11b-McLaren-F1_Autocar-performance.jpg

11c-McLaren-F1_Autocar-competitors.jpg

Smiley SmileySmiley SmileySmiley

But also guys, consider that there is a difference between wheelbase and length. I think porsche is just trying to decrease the front/rear overhangs by pushing the wheel deeper into the chassis. This will certainly yield more dynamic driving characteristics.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Off-topic:what's the status of PCCC ceramic clutch development-does it belong to history now double-clutch gearboxes are the new standard or is Porsche still working on it?I would like to see that make its way to 991GT3/RS

Also i think there should be just one model called either GT3 or RS and priced below the Turbo,like in the days of 964 and 996.1,offered in touring or clubsport spec

- Short wheelbase means go-kart dynamics.

- Longer wheelbase means higher straight-line stability.

Take your pick!

The 911 so far (see the list above) has been one of the shortest wheelbase cars. Many 11 fans like that.

--

A. Dias --- 997.2S. Previous cars: Corvette C6,  996 C4.

lor:

Off-topic:what's the status of PCCC ceramic clutch development-does it belong to history now double-clutch gearboxes are the new standard or is Porsche still working on it?I would like to see that make its way to 991GT3/RS...

2010 PORSCHE 911 GT3 R

Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, Stuttgart, keeps the focus on customer racing during the 2010 motorsport season. The new Porsche 911 GT3 R, delivered to customers ready-to-race, replaces the 911 GT3 Cup S in Porsche Motorsports' model range. The 911 GT3 R will be raced in series based on international FIA GT3 regulations. In developing the vehicle, the emphasis was placed on improving driveability and making handling easier. The 911 GT3 R features a four-litre six-cylinder boxer engine delivering 480 hp (353 kW). A six-speed sequential gearbox transmits the power to the rear axle.

The most important facts and figures:

• single-seated, near-standard race vehicle
    • 4.0-litre six-cylinder horizontally-opposed power unit developing 480 bhp (353 kW)
    • sequential six-speed manual gearbox
    • weight 1,200 kg (2,646 lb)

The new 911 GT3 R celebrated its world debut on 14th January 2010 at the Racing Car Show Autosport International in Birmingham (Great Britain).

The development of the 1,200 kg lightweight 911 GT3 R is based on the Porsche 911 GT3 Cup presented in September 2009 for one-make cup racing. Thanks to a 0.2-litre increase in engine capacity, the GT3 R delivers 30 hp more than its Cup pendant. Both race vehicles are based on the extra-wide body of the street-legal 911 GT3 RS. The rear air dam with its striking air vent openings as well as the rear lights in LED technology, in turn, come also straight from the road model.

An anti-lock brake system (ABS), traction control and an e-gas with "throttle-blip" function help pilots familiarise themselves quicker to the new GT3 race vehicle compared to its predecessor, also making it easier for ambitious amateur racers to get used to the car. The flared wheel arches front and rear show the wider track compared to the previous model. The underbody of the vehicle is completely covered and features a rear diffuser. Compared to the forerunner model, the adjustment range of the rear wing has been increased.

The highly developed race suspension can be extensively adjusted: At the front are height-adjustable McPherson struts with variable SACHS two-way shock absorbers and double coil springs (main and auxiliary). At the rear, the GT3 R features a rigidly mounted sub-frame with a height-adjustable multi-arm axle, as well as adjustable SACHS two-way shock absorbers and double coil springs.

2010 PORSCHE 911 GT3 R: POWERTRAIN 

• Porsche 6-speed sequential dog gearbox with active oil cooling and internal pressurized oil lubrication system
    • Gear ratios:
      Drop Gear 25/32 1,280
      CW & P 09/26 2,889
      1st gear 13/41 i = 3,154
      2nd gear 17/39 i = 2,294
      3rd gear 20/37 i = 1,850
      4th gear 23/35 i = 1,522
      5th gear 22/28 i = 1,273
      6th gear 31/34 i = 0,931
    • Limited slip differential 37% drive / 52% overrun
    • Single mass flywheel
    • Race clutch (5½" triple plate carbon clutch)
    • Hydraulic release bearing
    • Oil-water heat exchanger
    • Rear wheel drive

PORSCHE CARRERA GT -- CLUTCH TECHNOLOGY

Porsche-Carrera-GT_Diagram.jpg

In the Porsche Carrera GT, not only the brake pads grasp onto ceramic plates. The clutch, too, finds its power connection on this enormously hard silicon carbide. A new technology with far-reaching consequences. 

Porsche-Carrera-GT_Carbon-clutch.jpg

Power is transferred to the rear wheels through a newly developed six-speed manual transmission. Attached is a special clutch which has a reduced size and weight. Called Porsche Ceramic Composite Clutch (PCCC), this two-plate clutch is made of ceramic composites.

The most powerful of all production Porsche cars is different from its siblings in one aspect that directly involves pure power: the so enormously powerful Carrera GT, with its 612 bhp (450 kW), has the daintiest clutch of any Porsche. The diameter of the clutch plates, 169 millimeters (6.65 in) is enough to transfer not only the 590 Newton meters (435 lb-ft) of torque, but even a maximum of more than 1000 Nm (735 lb-ft). The Porsche 911Turbo, with 560 Nm (415 lb-ft) of torque, and the even heftier GT2, with 620 Nm (472 lb-ft), employ clutch plates of 240 mm (11.5 in) in diameter. 

The size differences are a matter of principle. Porsches of the 911 production series, all the way up to the Turbo, use a conventional single-disc clutch with a dual-mass flywheel and a driven disc of heavy steel. The Carrera GT, on the other hand, harbors racing technology harnessed for the road. Here, two disks, not one, ensures the transfer of forces. And for the first time in an automobile, these friction plates, following the example of their counterparts in the braking system, are made of a ceramic. The good experience with the Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB) has led to development of the Porsche Ceramic Composite Clutch (PCCC), which also is produced in cooperation with SGL Brakes GmbH, located in Meitingen. 

The modern variant of this material surpasses steel in three major qualities: This kind of ceramic is lighter, harder, and more heat-resistant than metal. Top-quality material also covers the backing plates of the organic sinter shoes by the company Pagid: Titanium won out here over heavier steel and weaker aluminum. 

The weight reduction over the 7.6 kilogram (16.75 lb) conventional clutch of a 911 Turbo is more than fifty percent for the 3.5 kilogram (7.7 lb) PCCC. The diet has its price. Bernd Ramler, drivetrain project manager for the Porsche Carrera GT, admits: “Because of the small batches, we still have to figure on a factor of ten in pricing, but we can see a potential for lower prices in the future.” 

Even then, building a ceramic clutch will still be a high-effort process. Its friction plates have to face even higher challenges than do the ceramic brake discs. While the carbon-fiber component of brake discs still consists of short, non-oriented fibers—“sauerkraut” in workshop jargon—the clutch, exposed to bending and centrifugal forces, needs carbon fibers in the more robust form of a fabric. 

In the first production stage, the fabric is pressed into a plate, at a temperature of 100 degrees C (212°F). Then the plate with the carbon fiber mat and epoxy resin is placed into a hotter oven, and baked at more than 700 degrees C (1200°F). After this process, the brake and clutch plates already have the extreme strength of the carbon fiber material as it is used for the brake discs of Formula One cars. But the final long-lasting strength needed for road operation only comes with the so-called “silicization” process, in which the carbon-fiber plates get a coating of liquefied quartz sand during a third baking. This enrichment with silicon takes place at 1700 degrees C (3000°F), in an extremely powerful vacuum. At this temperature, the melted sand is more fluid than water, and the silicon displaces the resin from the carbon fiber structure and occupies seventy percent of the volume of the saturated plate. 

Thus, a new substance, silicon carbide, arises from the embers, a hardship case that engineers value highly. With a hardness of 9.7, silicon carbide is right behind diamonds, which define the “absolute-hardness” score of 10. The material’s tough resistance against wear and high temperatures also thwarts tools; working the surface requires diamonds.

Porsche-Carrera-GT_Carbon-clutch-cutting.jpg

Insight: The diameter of the clutch plates of the Carrera GT is only 169 millimeters...

The effort that goes into the ceramic clutch at the Carrera GT results in durability far beyond that of a conventional clutch. That is especially impressive for a clutch subjected to considerable torque. The low weight and small dimensions of the PCCC reinforce the dynamic qualities of the super sports car.

Porsche-Carrera-GT_Carbon-clutch-glow.jpg

Such materials not only help reduce the rotational masses of the clutch by a factor of ten, but offer less wear than conventional material. Combined with a lightweight flywheel, rotational mass of the engine is exceptionally light.

Because of its small firing interval, the race-bred ten-cylinder racing engine holds stable in neutral at low inertia. There, the small and light clutch is just the right thing to successfully support, with minimal mass, this machine’s talent to rev up very quickly. Lightning reactions to the commands of the accelerator are a correct and sporting answer to this physical fitness program. At the same time, the Carrera GT demands a deft touch on the accelerator and the clutch from the driver. A smooth start requires a well-measured pinch of throttle and sensitive handling of the clutch, which conveys full power over a short take-up path. 

Porsche-Carrera-GT_Carbon-clutch-compact.jpg

Another highlight of this clutch is its short diameter of only 6.5 inches (165 mm). At such a height, the transmission and engine are very short and mounted low in the chassis.

The smaller dimensions of the clutch have made profound changes possible in the design of the power transmission, and have thus promoted its ultra-sporty character. In an engine that, thanks to dry-sump lubrication, has no oil pan extending toward the ground, the size of the clutch housing determines the ground clearance and therefore also affects the installation position of the engine. So the smaller the clutch and the shorter the distance between the middle of the crank-shaft bearings and the underside of the engine case (98.5 millimeters / 3.9 inches) in the Carrera GT), the lower the engine can be installed and the further the center of gravity ultimately drops. 

Porsche-Carrera-GT_Carbon-clutch-position.jpg

Just how low? Well the crankshaft rotates just 4.0 inches (102 mm) from the floor and the transmission actually sits lower than the rear differential.

That the engine in the Carrera GT is as low as in a racing car wasn’t enough for Ramler, however. It was also important to him to move the mass of the mechanical structure as close as possible to the middle of the vehicle and to its center of gravity. The six-speed transmission of the Carrera GT from the gear factory in Hör in Weiden groups its shafts transversely and at the level of the differential, with no overhang. “Because if we were to pack a 65-kilogram (145 lb.) transmission behind the rear axle of such a car,” Ramler explains, “it would be as wrong for the balance of handling characteristics as if the tail were to wag the dog.” 

PORSCHE CARRERA GT: 6-Speed with a Ceramic Clutch

Technical Information: 

The Porsche Ceramic Composite Clutch (PCCC) of the Porsche Carrera GT:

• Two-plate dry clutch 
    • Hardness of the silicon carbide: 9.7 (absolute hardness: 10) 
    • Diameter of the clutch plates: 169 millimeters 
    • Power transmission: max. > 1000 Nm (735 lb-ft) 
    • Engine run-out speed:over 20,000 rpm 
    • Weight: 3.5 kg (7.7 lb)

Porsche-Carrera-GT_Clutch-Technology

Porsche-Carrera-GT_Making-of-video

Smiley SmileySmiley SmileySmiley

911cab_1.JPG

911cab2_1.JPG

--
    Happy Driving

Seems as if the wart is gone. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

PORSCHE 911 GT3 CUP: Sequential Gearbox with Paddle-Shift...

At the 2010 Nurburgring 24-hour race, the Porsche 911 GT3 Cup run by Lammertink Racing included a cool sequential gearbox, with paddle shift...

...could this be a future 991 GT3 gearbox option? Smiley

Smiley SmileySmiley

Boxster Coupe GTS:

..could this be a future 991 GT3 gearbox option? Smiley

I think that sequential system is very bad in city traffic and needs frequent/expensive servicing though...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

Grant:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

I think that sequential system is very bad in city traffic and needs frequent/expensive servicing though...

--

+1 Double clutch is the future.. maybe even triple clutch? then you have gears shifting down covered too ;)

scubywrxr:
    Grant:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

--

+1 Double clutch is the future.. maybe even triple clutch? then you have gears shifting down covered too ;)

I'm happy with single clutch (if it has a pedal just left of the brake) Smiley

--

Grant:
    scubywrxr:
    Grant:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

--

--

Smiley

Grant:
    scubywrxr:
    Grant:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

--

--

Agree the manual gearbox should remain the standard GT3 gearbox, but I'd also like to see if Andreas Preuninger will offer a sequential or PDK gearbox as an option on the 991 GT3, preferably also keeping a clutch pedal (per the RS Spyder) which you can use as a manual over-ride whenever you feel like rowing...

Smiley SmileySmiley

Grant:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

--

I think that will be it !!! Ferrari is also rumored to have a sequential for the next ''scuderia''

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Ron (Houston):

911cab2_1.JPG

Oh my god... this windbreaker looks horrendous! Smiley

Agreed, but is it just me or is the driver sitting really close to the wheel?

Spyderidol:

Also notice his size compared to the car....he must be an elf from the Black Forest.

964C2:
    Spyderidol:

Also notice his size compared to the car....he must be an elf from the Black Forest.

Elfs are tall, he's more likely to be a hobbit, small with short legs, probably why he's so close to the wheel Smiley

A larger version of the latest 991 Cabrio spy pic...

991-cabrio-mule_02.jpg

991-cabrio-mule_01.jpg

Smiley SmileySmiley

Porsche 991 Coupe in testing...

991-coupe-mule_01.jpg

991-coupe-mule_02.jpg

991-coupe-mule_03.jpg

991-coupe-mule_04.jpg

991-coupe-mule_05.jpg

Smiley SmileySmiley

2011 Porsche Carrera 911 GTS in testing...

Porsche-Carrera-GTS-mule_01.jpg

Porsche-Carrera-GTS-mule_02.jpg

Porsche-Carrera-GTS-mule_03.jpg

Porsche-Carrera-GTS-mule_04.jpg

Porsche-Carrera-GTS-mule_05.jpg

Smiley SmileySmiley

GTS? maybe 991... I gues the GTS base is from the 997 (a 4S rear with 2 wheel drive)... 

Don`t believe that they are developing a new base for the GTS...

Now that we know that the 991 will have bigger dimensions comparing with the 997, i guess this is the 991 testing

Wildspeed has done it again Smiley

2012-porsche-991-cab_1024x0w.jpg

--
    Happy Driving

IMO it looks too much like 997.3

1277184931745getmecoat.gif

I would leave the camouflage on if it looks like this... 

--

993 Targa Black/Black

Porsche 991 Cabriolet concept (with spoiler retracted) by WildSpeed...

991cabrionspwsts.jpg

Smiley SmileySmiley

Is this the more reliable sketch so far?

I think i like but it`s too much 997... need to see the front...

Spyderidol:

IMO it looks too much like 997.3

1277184931745getmecoat.gif

And it doesn't even look good... Smiley

--

993Targa:

I would leave the camouflage on if it looks like this... 

+1

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688164 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408540 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255472 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234692 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65327 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4632 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857443 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773124 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM