Crown

Board: BMW M Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

X5 M - driving report UPDATE

After driving almost 3000 km in my X5 M, here is a little update on my experience:

- exhaust/engine sound got louder but not necessarily better. This car definitely sounds like a tuned 4-cylinder

- at speeds around Vmax 275 kph, the wind/tire noise is still pretty bearable, the sound doesn't get too loud

- driving stability at speeds around 275 kph is excellent but steering gets slightly indirect, which is strange. Maybe this is supposed to avoid too sudden movements but whoever drives that fast actually wants to be in full control. This slightly indirect steering feel is not helpful at 275 kph

- in tight curves, twists and turns, the chassis is very capable but the tires actually put a limit to it's handling capabilities. With sportier tires, the X5 M would surely achieve much better handling performance figures but I guess you can't have it all, excellent wet surface performance/braking and excellent dry pavement performance at the same time. Another problem could be the "run-on-flat" tires BMW uses for the X5 M. They surely are a little bit counter-productive regarding a sportier performance

- the OEM tires, Bridgestone Dueler with run-on-flat capabilities, are excellent performers on wet pavement, incl. breaking performance. Very unusual for a heavy SUV, the extra weight is barely noticeable on wet pavement. Meaning: you can be very fast in the X5 M on rainy streets, where other cars may already loose control

- oil consumption is pretty low, I'm going to fill up a liter at 3000 km

- average fuel consumption (mostly city driving with "M" button pressed and MDM active all the time) is around 20 liters / 100 km, not a bit less. At Vmax 275 kph, the fuel consumption is around 25 liters / 100 km, still pretty impressive compared to the fuel consumption of my former Cayenne Turbo S (up to 36 liters / 100 km at top speed). I never got the X5 M below 20 liters / 100 km, so I really wonder how others are doing it. Driving in auto mode all the time

- so far, no technical or other kind of problems, absolutely nothing

- performance is out of this world, the X5 M gets much faster up to 270 kph on the speedo than my former Cayenne Turbo S and I usually underestimate the current driving speed, which is pretty dangerous if you live in an area with lots of traffic cops

- understatement look of the X5 M is very deceiving, many people are very surprised how fast the X5 M is and I already had a couple of friendly inquires on "what the heck I did with my X5"... For those who love a more subtle look, the X5 M is just perfect

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Re: X5 M - driving report UPDATE

I can echo the exhaust, fuel consumption and high speed stability (although I have ever only got up to 230kmh).  At Philip Island race track a few weeks ago, I was also able to push the car to the limit (not mine but BMW's) and it is a very very quick car.  Like RC said, with better tyres, it will be amazing.  It does understeer at the limit, but no where near what I expected.  It's definitely a slow in fast out sort of car though.

Regarding the exhaust sound, I read the S63 engine in the X5 M has a common exhaust manifold for both cilinderbanks withing the engine block's "V", which apparently is an industry first, might this be the cause for the 4 cilinder sound?

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/0908_bmw_x6_x_replacing_turbo_lag_with_turbo_brag/index.html

Yeah Porker, I believe that is the issue, which is why no aftermarket exhaust has been able to make it sound any good!

Porker:

Regarding the exhaust sound, I read the S63 engine in the X5 M has a common exhaust manifold for both cilinderbanks withing the engine block's "V", which apparently is an industry first, might this be the cause for the 4 cilinder sound?

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/0908_bmw_x6_x_replacing_turbo_lag_with_turbo_brag/index.html

which is actually very similar if you run  v8 without a x-over pipe. it will sound like 2 4 cylinders.

s for the tire issue, i second that. i hve found them to be the limiting factor when taking fast bends or turns. while the chassis is not unsetteled, one feels the tires giving way.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

The exhaust/engine sound is actually the only thing I would change on this car. Unfortunately chances are very slim, I never heard back from the M GmbH inquiry I made a couple of weeks ago about this issue. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

RC, Is the vehicle still bouncing forward (brake diving) when coming to a stop? If so, is it still as annoying as when you first mentioned it?
    --

2003 Cayenne Turbo

bigbuzuki:
    RC, Is the vehicle still bouncing forward (brake diving) when coming to a stop? If so, is it still as annoying as when you first mentioned it?

Not sure about RC, but yes that is still the case for me.  But I don't find it annoying anymore.  Sort of not even remember it anymore.

Yes it still has brake dive, but compare to my X5, the X6M is much better.

On the exhaust, I am tempted to go with Eisenmann, it sounded pretty good on the video I heard.

bigbuzuki:

Yes, it is still present but now that you mention it...I haven't thought about it for some while (dammit....got used to it...couldn't you just not ask ??? Smiley). Smiley

--

I just realized why I like the X5 M so much: it reminds me a lot of my former Lancia Delta HF Integrale 16V in a way or another, as weird as this may sound.
    I also realized what I miss from my former Cayenne Turbo S: the height adjustable air suspension, this is something I'm definitely going to miss, especially during winter time.

--

RC:

I just realized why I like the X5 M so much: it reminds me a lot of my former Lancia Delta HF Integrale 16V in a way or another, as weird as this may sound.
    I also realized what I miss from my former Cayenne Turbo S: the height adjustable air suspension, this is something I'm definitely going to miss, especially during winter time.

Why do you need the car to be lower during winter time?  Or am I missing something here.

I have just realised something recently.  Love my X5M, but it really is too powerful for where I live and as a family car.  With sports cars it's ok as you can take it to the back road twisties and to the track, but it's not something I would do with the SUV.  Something like Cayenne S is probably the most I need around here for family duty.  I will seriously consider a Cayenne if Porsche brings out a GTS version again.

I think he meant raising the car for winter snow.

You are correct in thinking the about too powerful as a family car, which is why I kept the X5 4.8 as the family transport, 350hp is pretty good, but I do wish it has the newer twin-turbo 400hp verison.

Had my X6M for 2 weeks now, and I haven't even touch the keys to my 997TT, it has pretty much replaced the Porsche as my daily driver. granted I am still in the honeymoon period but I think I am getting old, the 997TT seems too 'hardcore' now as a daily driver and the X6M fits the 'grand touring' daily driver better. I can keep my golf clubs in the car while doing the occasional school runs, not to mention shopping haul.

understatement look of the X5 M is very deceiving, many people are very surprised how fast the X5 M is and I already had a couple of friendly inquires on "what the heck I did with my X5"... For those who love a more subtle look, the X5 M is just perfect

Drove past Munich couple days ago. I definitely see a X5 every corner in the city since it's a Bavarian town. It sure does make your X5M looks even more subtle. 

--

www.youtube.com/watch

william:

Drove past Munich couple days ago. I definitely see a X5 every corner in the city since it's a Bavarian town. It sure does make your X5M looks even more subtle. 

And you didn't drop me a PM or a call ? Shame on you. Smiley Smiley

Yes, indeed, there are tons of X5 in Bavaria and a lot of them are usually X5 3.0d with spacers and huge tires on the rims, making my X5 M look like an even more subtle X5. I love Bavaria. Smiley

Regarding the height adjustable suspension: yes, I was talking about raising the chassis during winter time. Especially after a lot of fresh snow, this is very convenient and helpful.

Another thing: since I have my X5 M, I drove my 997 TT only once for half an hour. Can't help it, maybe I'm getting old but the X5 M is just a wonderful daily driver.

Btw: Sport Auto just published a review of the "improved" BMW M3 and the new Audi RS5. From 0-100 kph, the "improved" M3 needs 5.0 seconds (DKG), my X5 M only 4.7 seconds. Acceleration from 0-200  kph is practically the same, 16 seconds for the M3, 16.3 seconds for the X5 M. I know, I know, the M3 is a sports car and on the track I wouldn't stand a chance against it but for daily driving, the X5 M is just the better car since it has the same performance (even better 0-100 kph performance) and offers much more comfort.

--

Whoopsy:

Had my X6M for 2 weeks now, and I haven't even touch the keys to my 997TT, it has pretty much replaced the Porsche as my daily driver. granted I am still in the honeymoon period but I think I am getting old, the 997TT seems too 'hardcore' now as a daily driver and the X6M fits the 'grand touring' daily driver better. I can keep my golf clubs in the car while doing the occasional school runs, not to mention shopping haul.

...I understand very well what y're talking about:
    I ordered the 997.2 turbo months ago and thought it might be a hard time of waiting till delivery.

But so far it wasn't that straining as the X5M is the perfect "all in one" car for me.
    It's Dr.Jekyll and Mr. Hyde depending on my needs. I hate it so say, but my needs on a sportscar seems to be satiesfied with the X5M...Smiley

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S (5th July  10) *  BMW X5 M

I wonder if BMW could build a X5 M, 300 kg lighter, 200 HP stronger and with a sportier chassis. I think I would stick with the X5 M for all my needs. Since this ain't going to happen, of course , I suppose I still need a sportscar of some kind sooner or later.

Right now I'm in the process of convincing my wife that the best replacement for her M3 Cabriolet DKG is a...traraaaa...a 991 Carrera S Cabriolet.  Hopefully Porsche doesn't do anything dumb about this car, like stupid looks, low performance or an exaggerated price tag. Right now, from all I know , things look quite promising.

The decision will be made around 2012.

A friend just told me a story about a trip to Italy and a Porsche GT3 RSR, race-modded, with 800 (!) HP, participating and I have to admit that I still lust for such cars but unfortunately I don't have the financial possibilities to go for three expensive cars. Since my wife can't drive in a GT3 RS to her office (and neither do I), I'm going to be "stuck" with a 991 Carrera S Cab...I guess.

Kudos to those who can afford (financially and socially) to get a 997 Turbo S, it is a wonderful sportscar for a good price. Which brings me to the new 997 GT2 RS...this car would also be very interesting for me.

--

If you'd really want something like a 997 GT2 RS, wouldn't it be a possibility to buy two cheaper everyday cars for you and your wife, something like E61 535d and E90 330i, and go nuts with the sportscar?

Regarding the brake dive, I had a friends' X6 35i for a couple of days, while it's nowhere near capable of the speeds and braking of the M-version, I still noticed the diving very much when braking from higher speeds. It did actually bother me... You probably get used to it, but it made me very well aware off the mass I was travelling with.

RC: A friend just told me a story about a trip to Italy and a Porsche GT3 RSR, race-modded, with 800 (!) HP, participating and I have to admit that I still lust for such cars but unfortunately I don't have the financial possibilities to go for three expensive cars. Since my wife can't drive in a GT3 RS to her office (and neither do I), I'm going to be "stuck" with a 991 Carrera S Cab...I guess.

RC - That RSR must have had  a different engine! The GT3 RSR (with mandated air restrictors) produces 450-480 bhp (depending on the size of the restrictors.) An unrestricted RSR would most probably produce around 500 bhp.

Maybe they were testing a a different engine?Smiley

Spyderidol:
    RC: A friend just told me a story about a trip to Italy and a Porsche GT3 RSR, race-modded, with 800 (!) HP, participating and I have to admit that I still lust for such cars but unfortunately I don't have the financial possibilities to go for three expensive cars. Since my wife can't drive in a GT3 RS to her office (and neither do I), I'm going to be "stuck" with a 991 Carrera S Cab...I guess.

RC - That RSR must have had  a different engine! The GT3 RSR (with mandated air restrictors) produces 450-480 bhp (depending on the size of the restrictors.) An unrestricted RSR would most probably produce around 500 bhp.

Twin-turbo charged, highly modded car, worth over 300000 EUR and a real beast. Smiley

--

Porker:

If you'd really want something like a 997 GT2 RS, wouldn't it be a possibility to buy two cheaper everyday cars for you and your wife, something like E61 535d and E90 330i, and go nuts with the sportscar?

98% of my time, I'm driving the X5 M. So why would I want to drive something slower ? Smiley

The problem is: a high performance sports car would be a toy, something we don't really need. My wife wouldn't be too pleased and to be honest, it doesn't make sense for an hour or two once a month. In the past, I had more time, less work and no kids but right now, I'm happy if I can spend some quality time with my family. 

It is sad but I guess I need to wait for better times to be able to really afford a high performance sports car like a 997 GT2 RS or even a 997 Turbo S or Ferrari 458 Italia.

My 997 Turbo is going away next year and hopefully I can replace it with a 991 Carrera S Cabriolet PDK around 2012, when my wife's M3 Cab lease runs out.

Of course I could lease a 997 Turbo S and replace my 997 Turbo but it really doesn't make any sense from ANY point of view. I would love it but I guess I should be happy with my life and just enjoy what I can afford without putting my family into a financial danger. Smiley

--

RC:
    Spyderidol:

Twin-turbo charged, highly modded car, worth over 300000 EUR and a real beast. Smiley

It must be a REAL beast! Smiley

Also- the cost must be substantially higher. A 2008 GT3 RSR (with the old 3.8L engine) went for 349,800 Euro (without VAT)

www.supercars.net/cars/4037.html

Spyderidol:

It must be a REAL beast! Smiley

Also- the cost must be substantially higher. A 2008 GT3 RSR (with the old 3.8L engine) went for 349,800 Euro (without VAT)

www.supercars.net/cars/4037.html

Yep, you're right. Overall value of this car is "over" 500000 EUR, sorry, got it wrong. Smiley

--

1277129520741cheers.gif

Yesterday, I drove to Fürth near Nürnberg, over 200 km of (almost) speed unlimited Autobahn. The X5 M is just the perfect car for the Autobahn, especially with the family. It is comfortable and unbelievably fast. Since I can't look at the faces of other drivers, my wife is usually doing that when we pass them and especially when somebody moves to the right at a speed of 200 or 220 kph and I pass him in a second, they seem to be shocked. 

My wife even told me of  Mercedes E class driver I passed at slightly over 200 kph, it was uphill. When I passed him, a little bit slower than usual, he looked to the left and apparently moved his body forth and back while laughing...apparently to make the car run faster (you get the image).  

To make it short: the X5 M is a lot of fun to drive.

Btw: the fuel consumption seems to get better. I was driving most of the time up to 290 kph (surprisingly, the speedo shows now over 290 kph... on the speedo but I had no GPS with me this time to verify the correct speed) and fuel consumption was around 23-24 liters / 100 km this time. I have now over 3100 km on my car.

So far...no problems whatsoever, I just added half a liter of oil (10W-60 Castrol EDGE Forumla RS) at 3000 km.

A little remark regarding the internet access (see photo) in my X5 M through the Navigation Pro system: it is pretty much useless because it is slow (EDGE) and since you don't have a keyboard, very tiresome to go through the entering information process. Not worth the money (150 EUR per year).

intacc.jpg

--

so, from which air traffic control in Germany do you usually get your flight clearance then ?

d997h:

so, from which air traffic control in Germany do you usually get your flight clearance then ?

Rennteam Control...of course. Who else ? Smiley Smiley

--

Looking good Christian

Are you looking for chipping the car?

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW (On ORDER)

09 Audi TTS Coupe / 07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

pride355:

Looking good Christian

Are you looking for chipping the car?

I was thinking about it but since it seems that I'm the fastest car on the street most of the time, I'm not sure it would make sense. Chipping it to 620 HP would improve 0-100 kph acceleration by a non-significant 0.1 second and from 0-200 kph, acceleration would be improve by a second. At the same time, I would add substantial stress to the engine and drivetrain, not really worth it in my opinion. So I decided to stay away from it.

More than 620 HP would require a proper modification, not only software and it would be too expensive. Don't forget that this is our family car, no matter how much I love it. Smiley

--

But you know Christian there is no such thing as "too much power and too much money"

I'm glad to see that X5 M is good for all of your requirements

How are you getting along with "brake dive"

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW (On ORDER)

09 Audi TTS Coupe / 07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    809050 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    450523 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267823 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    91032 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7898 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

888696 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    837994 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM