Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Back OT-991 at the Ring Thread Closed

I really doubt it as they want to drastically improve the fuel consumption on all models.

Just my 2 cents though.

Wshful thinking on my part, i too think engines will shrink. BMW is doing it, many are doing it.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

From Lepzig

991 will be in market from october 2011...

So as MY2012. Makes sense, give the 997.2 another 1.5 years or so. Also with the GT2 RS coming out in the summer, we will have a full year of a nice complete 997.2 911 model range. thanks for the info.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

ale75:

From Lepzig

991 will be in market from october 2011...

That's what I was expecting. Smiley

997.2 Turbo owners will have a three year period then. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Porsche 991 in testing... Thread Closed

2011 Porsche 991 in cold-weather testing...

911998_gal1.jpg

911998_gal3.jpg

911998_gal2.jpg

911998_gal4.jpg

Smiley SmileySmiley

Re: Porsche 991 in testing... Thread Closed

Repost but we need to get 991 forum back up and busy Smiley.

--
    Happy Driving

Exactly -- we must be due to see the Porsche 991 testing in hot weather soon...

Porsche-911-sunset.jpg

...let's see some new 991 pics, please Porsche!

Smiley SmileySmiley

2012-porsche-911.jpg

--
    Happy Driving

I'm very curious to how the new lights are going to look, both front and rear.

Zzzzz

I know this is a pretty Porsche fan forum, but God, I am so bored of 911's. I almost wish they'd leave the camo on just so it would look different.

Although I am not as bored with the 911 design as wedouglas, I relate to what he says.  These days, when I visit a dealer I look at the Panameras, Cayennes, the new Boxster GTS, the "hotter" 911s like the GT3s and turbos.  The standard 911 designs (Carrera, Carrera 2s and 4s) seem a bit too plain, out of date in some way.  Can't really put my finger on it, but "boring" could certainly be an applicable adjective for me.  It is the way I felt about the 911 series in the late 1980s, before the 993 series. 

While saying all of this, I don't advocate a radical change with all sorts of new creases, angles and gimmickery.  I would like to see more a more racier look, with wider rear wheel wells, tasteful vents and more modern (whatever that means) spoiler treatments.  An interior with more Panamera elements, along with the expected power and performance additions, will surely help. 

The Porsche designers have a tough job.  How to make an icon more "exciting, less boring"?  I am hopeful, however, with all the new initiatives appearing (918, GT hybrid, Cayenne, Panamera).  The 991 designers have some nice flavors to stir into the new design pot...

Porsche have the perfect antidote for boredom -- just go and drive one...

Smiley SmileySmiley

When should we expect the 991 GT3?

--

05' C4S

Porsche 991 GT3 to include GT1 motorsport engine... Thread Closed

Porsche 991 GT3 to include GT1 motorsport engine...

997-GT3-mk2-Preview-Event.jpg

Looking forward to the Porsche 991 GT3, it’s worth keeping in mind that the GT3 and GT3 RS are developed by the Porsche Motorsport team, driven by Andreas Preuninger, alongside the GT3 Cup cars. The GT3 and GT3 RS are used to homologate Porsche's GT3-based racing cars...

Porsche-GT3-Engine-History_Article-link

Porsche-911-Engine-History_Article-link

The 991 GT3 is expected to include a GT1-derived engine, based on the awesome Porsche motorsport engine, originally designed by Hans Mezger.

Here are a few comments from the interview of Andreas Preuninger with Chris Harris at the launch of the Porsche 997.2 GT3 -- which were also repeated at the GT3 RS launch event...

ANDREAS PREUNINGER, PORSCHE MOTORSPORT PROJECT MANAGER FOR 911 GT3, 911 GT3 RS, 911 GT2 RS:

Andreas Preuninger: "So, this is the motor -- like on almost every Porsche there's not so much to be seen because it's a Flat Six boxer motor and it lies pretty much hidden... but when you drive it, when you feel it, when you hear it -- that's what it can do best."

AP: "We have a 3.8-litre here -- we enlarged the displacement by 200cc on that car, adding a lot of torque to the engine, adding a lot of bite on lower and middle revolutions... You notice the difference right from the start, because there's so much more torque available between 1500 and 4000rpms -- that's the range you use the car normally in 90% of all street-going traffic -- that's where the car has a lot more bite than its predecessor. It's a lot more torquey, you end up being one gear higher always than in the last car."

AP: "The sound hasn't changed so much... a bit more volume in the sound -- I'm afraid it's got a little bit louder, when the exhaust flaps are open -- but I think our target group will accept that."

AP: "We increased the diameter of the pistons, so the stroke stays the same -- we have 102.7mm of bore, instead of 100mm in the old car and that adds up, on the same stroke, to 200cc more. So we can use the same crank and we just differentiated the rods... titanium rods. Even though the the piston is a lot bigger in diameter, it weighs less than the 100mm piston on the old car -- so we even found some weight despite increasing the diameter of the piston."

AP: "It is still the GT1-based engine with eight bearing points and seven oil suction pumps and a full dry-sump system, like in a race-car. So this is almost a race engine and it's up to any task on the race track."

Chris Harris: So the question I have to ask is why no DFI?

AP: "We wanted to stick with the GT1 motorsport block -- we need it for for homologation, because this is the block we race with and this is a homologation car and it needs the same block as well." 

AP: "This car is really set up for race track use and that's why we intend to keep it for one more generation or maybe for even more, because customers love this engine... it has lots of character and the GT3 is all about emotion and character and this is what this engine can do best..."

AP: "We are absolutely sure that performance wise and for durability, this is the best choice for a GT car..."

Porsche's GT1-based 3.8-litre flat-six, dry-sumped, motorsport-derived GT3 boxer engine...

Porsche 991 GT3 / RS engine preview...

A preview of the 2012 Porsche 991 GT3 / RS engine specification...

The Porsche 991 GT3 features a four-litre six-cylinder boxer engine delivering 480 hp (353 kW). In developing the 991 GT3, the emphasis was placed on increased performance, driveability and handling. A six-speed sequential gearbox transmits the power to the rear axle.

The development of the Porsche 991 GT3 is based on the Porsche 911 GT3 R racing car, using the extra-wide body and chassis. Thanks to a 0.2-litre increase in engine capacity, the 991 GT3 delivers 30 hp more than the previous GT3 RS model.

Porsche 991 GT3 / RS engine specification:

Porsche GT1-derived motorsport engine
    Six-cylinder boxer configuration, water-cooled
    3996cc naturally aspirated flat-six
    Four-valve technology
    Dry sump lubrication
    Stroke: 80.4 mm
    Bore: 102.7 mm
    Max. power: 353 kW (480 hp)
    Required fuel quality: 98 octane, unleaded
    Multi-point fuel injection (sequential)
    Bosch MS 4.0 electronic engine management
    E-Gas with 'throttle-blip' function
    Race exhaust system with pre and final silencer
    Twin-branched muffler with centered exhaust pipes

Porsche 991 GT3 Hybrid...

Porsche also intends to offer a Hybrid derivative of the 991 GT3, inspired by the award winning Porsche 911 GT3 R Hybrid...

1_911-gt3-r34-1600_v2.jpg

2_porsche-gt3-hybrid-1.jpg

3_911-gt3-det-1600_v2.jpg

4_spied-2012-porsche-911-gt3-hybrid.jpg

Porsche-911-GT3-Hybrid_spy-pics

Smiley SmileySmiley 

Porsche Motorsport press release: "The 911 GT3 R"

Developed for racing series based on the international FIA GT3 regulations, the stunning 911 GT3 R succeeds the 911 GT3 Cup S and is delivered to customers ready-to-race. The starting point in developing the GT3 R was the latest 3.8-litre Porsche 911 GT3 Cup, which will compete in the 2010 Porsche Mobil 1 Supercup supporting selected Formula One races. However, the GT3 R - which weighs just 1,200 kg (2,646 lb) - has a larger 4.0-litre six-cylinder 'boxer' engine delivering 480 bhp and other technical developments designed to improve the performance of the car further still.

For example, an anti-lock braking system, traction control and an electronic throttle with 'blip' function on gearbox down-changes make it much easier for drivers to get used to the GT3 R race car than the prior Cup S model, with the consequence that the new car is also more appropriate for the ambitious amateur racing driver rather than purely experienced professionals. The main focus with this new car was to deliver even better driveability and easier handling.

Additional flared wheel arches front and rear emphasise the purposeful, wide track of the GT3 R. And like all second generation versions of the 911, the new 911 GT3 R also comes with striking LED rear light clusters. For optimal aerodynamic performance, the underbody of the car is completely covered and features a rear diffuser and, compared to the prior Cup S model, the range of adjustment on the rear wing has been increased.

The highly-developed suspension can also be adjusted extensively; at the front are height-adjustable MacPherson struts with variable SACHS two-way shock absorbers and double coil springs (main and auxiliary). At the rear, the GT3 R features a rigidly mounted sub-frame with a height-adjustable multi-arm axle together with adjustable SACHS two-way shock absorbers and double coil springs.

"Since we announced our intention to launch the 911 GT3 R, demand has been huge," said Uwe Brettel, Head of Motorsport Sales. "The number of GT3 R vehicles we had planned for 2010 is almost sold out."

As the newest Porsche race car, the 911 GT3 R has an incredible provenance. In 2009, the ultimate racing Porsche 911 – the GT3 RSR - won the GT2 Drivers’ title in the FIA GT Championship, the GT2 title in the American Le Mans Series and also in the Le Mans Series of endurance races, and also triumphed in the gruelling 24 Hours of the Nurburgring race.

Like the 911 GT3 Cup and 911 GT3 RSR, the Porsche 911 GT3 R is designed and built by the Porsche Motorsport Department at the company’s Weissach Development Centre.

Porsche-911-GT3-R_Technical-Specifications 

-- End --

A selection of GT3 videos that highlight the importance of the GT1-derived motorsport engine in the development of the Porsche 991 GT3...

...thanks again to Chris Harris and Andreas Preuninger for the original interview...

Smiley SmileySmiley

Re: Porsche 991 GT3 to include GT1 motorsport engine... Thread Closed

Very interesting ! Thank you.

Interesting to see that they will offer a hybrid version of the 991GT3 RS. This fits in nicely with the news that Porsche is pushing the ACO to introduce hybrid regulation for the GT classes as well.  They will need a road car in order to guarantee homologation.

The technical drawing looks like the new DFI engine, not the GT1 based motor mentioned. Note the oil filter and the oil filler neck (as well as the serpentine drive and the intake runners...)

It is, indeed, a diagram of the Porsche 911 GT3 engine! Smiley

A selection of variants of Porsche's GT1-derived motorsport engine for the 911 GT3...

12753143032852010-GT3-engine.jpg

2010-GT3-engine-diagram.jpg

GT3-engine.jpg

Porsche-911-GT3-RS-2009_4-litre-engine.jpg

2010-Porsche-911-GT3-RS_Engine.JPG

1275313794883GT3-Cup-S-engine.jpg

...and a reminder of how that awesome GT3 engine sounds -- thanks to Hans Mezger and Andreas Preuninger! Smiley

Porsche-911-GT3-motorsport-engine_sound-1

Porsche-911-GT3-motorsport-engine_sound-2

Porsche-911-GT3-motorsport-engine_sound-3

Smiley SmileySmiley

KMM:
    The technical drawing looks like the new DFI engine, not the GT1 based motor mentioned. Note the oil filter and the oil filler neck (as well as the serpentine drive and the intake runners...)

Pic. 1&2 DFI engine , pic.3  GT3 (GT1 based ) engine - red line pointing fuel injectors

119718_1280[2].JPG

119719_1280[1].JPG

fuel injectors.jpg

Thanks. I stand corrected. Great illustrations.

Boxster Coupe GTS:

The 991 GT3 is expected to include a GT1-derived engine, based on the awesome Porsche motorsport engine, originally designed by Hans Mezger.

The Porsche 991 GT3 features a four-litre six-cylinder boxer engine delivering 480 hp (353 kW). In developing the 991 GT3, the emphasis was placed on increased performance, driveability and handling. A six-speed sequential gearbox transmits the power to the rear axle.

The development of the Porsche 991 GT3 is based on the Porsche 911 GT3 R racing car, using the extra-wide body and chassis. Thanks to a 0.2-litre increase in engine capacity, the 991 GT3 delivers 30 hp more than the previous GT3 RS model.

Four-valve technology
    Dry sump lubrication

How do you know the next GT3 will use 4.0L Metzger motor?  Maybe I am confused, but are you just concluding this based on Preuninger's vague comments about next generation GT3 possibly continuing with the GT1 motor and then applying the specs of the GT3R?  If so, this does not seem very definitive.

If there is more reason to believe this is the truth, please correct me.

Thanks!

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

Great info  I'm planning to get the 991 GT3 as my next car.

--

05' C4S

Great information, loved reading it. It will be interesting to see what Porsche will take the next gen 911 racing track branch in terms of engine. They acknowledge that the engine is the heart of the 911 GT's which is really good to hear!! Will watch the vids when i get home

--

Is there a method to the naming convention with these variants?

We have GT3, GT3R, GT3RS, GT3RSR; alternating back and forth between street and track only.  It made a little more sense before when the GT3R was a Cup/CupS.

a little.

Great announcements here though.  Don't they seem to be opening the curtain a little sooner this go-around?

edit: can't wait to see the GT3RSRSR - that should be a monster!

Interesting to read that they will go for a sequential gear box on the Gt3 and not PDK ( if these info are  correct )

I have heard the same info about the 458 Scuderia ( or whatever it will be called ) , not DSG , but a sequential box also .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Dave,

I think the convention is:

GT3 (street) -> GT3 -R (race)

GT3rs (street) -> GT3rs-R (race)

BUT, I remember back in the days of the 996, we had GT3 cup and GT3 RS(r) as race cars...
    Also looking forward to the GT3 RSR-S Cup streetversion btw ;-)

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Almost :

The GT3RS is the homologation model (street car) for both the GT3 R and the GT3 RSR.

It is a little confusing , but it will all get easier as the word is that this is the last year for the RSR.

What we will most likely have is as follows:

GT3 (street)

GT3 RS (Rennsport - Street)

GT3 R (Racing)

Gnil:

Interesting to read that they will go for a sequential gear box on the Gt3 and not PDK ( if these info are  correct )

I have heard the same info about the 458 Scuderia ( or whatever it will be called ) , not DSG , but a sequential box also .

Yes, it did not go un-noticed. 4.0 litre + sequential Smiley

Hope we also get the high-pitch whine that is in all the GT3 R videos (from straight-cut gears?).

--

Slow In, Fast Out

Boxster Coupe GTS:

997-GT3-mk2-Preview-Event.jpg

Looking forward to the Porsche 991 GT3, it’s worth keeping in mind that the GT3 and GT3 RS are developed by the Porsche Motorsport team, driven by Andreas Preuninger, alongside the GT3 Cup cars. The GT3 and GT3 RS are used to homologate Porsche's GT3-based racing cars...

Porsche-GT3-Engine-History_Article-link

Porsche-911-Engine-History_Article-link

Here are a few comments from the interview of Andreas Preuninger with Chris Harris at the launch of the Porsche 997.2 GT3 -- which were also repeated at the GT3 RS launch event...

ANDREAS PREUNINGER, PORSCHE MOTORSPORT PROJECT MANAGER FOR 911 GT3, 911 GT3 RS, 911 GT2 RS:

Andreas Preuninger: "So, this is the motor -- like on almost every Porsche there's not so much to be seen because it's a Flat Six boxer motor and it lies pretty much hidden... but when you drive it, when you feel it, when you hear it -- that's what it can do best."

AP: "We have a 3.8-litre here -- we enlarged the displacement by 200cc on that car, adding a lot of torque to the engine, adding a lot of bite on lower and middle revolutions... You notice the difference right from the start, because there's so much more torque available between 1500 and 4000rpms -- that's the range you use the car normally in 90% of all street-going traffic -- that's where the car has a lot more bite than its predecessor. It's a lot more torquey, you end up being one gear higher always than in the last car."

AP: "The sound hasn't changed so much... a bit more volume in the sound -- I'm afraid it's got a little bit louder, when the exhaust flaps are open -- but I think our target group will accept that."

AP: "We increased the diameter of the pistons, so the stroke stays the same -- we have 102.7mm of bore, instead of 100mm in the old car and that adds up, on the same stroke, to 200cc more. So we can use the same crank and we just differentiated the rods... titanium rods. Even though the the piston is a lot bigger in diameter, it weighs less than the 100mm piston on the old car -- so we even found some weight despite increasing the diameter of the piston."

AP: "It is still the GT1-based engine with eight bearing points and seven oil suction pumps and a full dry-sump system, like in a race-car. So this is almost a race engine and it's up to any task on the race track."

Chris Harris: So the question I have to ask is why no DFI?

AP: "We wanted to stick with the GT1 motorsport block -- we need it for for homologation, because this is the block we race with and this is a homologation car and it needs the same block as well." 

AP: "This car is really set up for race track use and that's why we intend to keep it for one more generation or maybe for even more, because customers love this engine... it has lots of character and the GT3 is all about emotion and character and this is what this engine can do best..."

AP: "We are absolutely sure that performance wise and for durability, this is the best choice for a GT car..."

Porsche's GT1-based 3.8-litre flat-six, dry-sumped, motorsport-derived GT3 boxer engine...

Four-valve technology
    Dry sump lubrication

Porsche 991 GT3 Hybrid...

Porsche also intends to offer a Hybrid derivative of the 991 GT3, inspired by the award winning Porsche 911 GT3 R Hybrid...

1_911-gt3-r34-1600_v2.jpg

2_porsche-gt3-hybrid-1.jpg

3_911-gt3-det-1600_v2.jpg

4_spied-2012-porsche-911-gt3-hybrid.jpg

Porsche-911-GT3-Hybrid_spy-pics

Smiley SmileySmiley 

Porsche Motorsport press release: "The 911 GT3 R"

Developed for racing series based on the international FIA GT3 regulations, the stunning 911 GT3 R succeeds the 911 GT3 Cup S and is delivered to customers ready-to-race. The starting point in developing the GT3 R was the latest 3.8-litre Porsche 911 GT3 Cup, which will compete in the 2010 Porsche Mobil 1 Supercup supporting selected Formula One races. However, the GT3 R - which weighs just 1,200 kg (2,646 lb) - has a larger 4.0-litre six-cylinder 'boxer' engine delivering 480 bhp and other technical developments designed to improve the performance of the car further still.

For example, an anti-lock braking system, traction control and an electronic throttle with 'blip' function on gearbox down-changes make it much easier for drivers to get used to the GT3 R race car than the prior Cup S model, with the consequence that the new car is also more appropriate for the ambitious amateur racing driver rather than purely experienced professionals. The main focus with this new car was to deliver even better driveability and easier handling.

Additional flared wheel arches front and rear emphasise the purposeful, wide track of the GT3 R. And like all second generation versions of the 911, the new 911 GT3 R also comes with striking LED rear light clusters. For optimal aerodynamic performance, the underbody of the car is completely covered and features a rear diffuser and, compared to the prior Cup S model, the range of adjustment on the rear wing has been increased.

The highly-developed suspension can also be adjusted extensively; at the front are height-adjustable MacPherson struts with variable SACHS two-way shock absorbers and double coil springs (main and auxiliary). At the rear, the GT3 R features a rigidly mounted sub-frame with a height-adjustable multi-arm axle together with adjustable SACHS two-way shock absorbers and double coil springs.

"Since we announced our intention to launch the 911 GT3 R, demand has been huge," said Uwe Brettel, Head of Motorsport Sales. "The number of GT3 R vehicles we had planned for 2010 is almost sold out."

As the newest Porsche race car, the 911 GT3 R has an incredible provenance. In 2009, the ultimate racing Porsche 911 – the GT3 RSR - won the GT2 Drivers’ title in the FIA GT Championship, the GT2 title in the American Le Mans Series and also in the Le Mans Series of endurance races, and also triumphed in the gruelling 24 Hours of the Nurburgring race.

Like the 911 GT3 Cup and 911 GT3 RSR, the Porsche 911 GT3 R is designed and built by the Porsche Motorsport Department at the company’s Weissach Development Centre.

Porsche-911-GT3-R_Technical-Specifications 

-- End --

A selection of GT3 videos that highlight the importance of the GT1-derived motorsport engine in the development of the Porsche 991 GT3...

...thanks again to Chris Harris and Andreas Preuninger for the original interview...

Smiley SmileySmiley

I hope you are right, but I read a mag that quote Anderas Preuninger said 3.8 is the largest displacement for the street car instead of 4.0 on the race car.

Spyderidol:

What we will most likely have is as follows:

GT3 (street)

GT3 RS (Rennsport - Street)

GT3 R (Racing)

Interesting.  So the R replaces the Cup, and the RSR goes away?  Then only one race 911 for the near future (til Hybrid comes in I guess)??

Aren't the Cup and the RSR applicable to different groups?

I LOVE the body of that R by the way.  It does look more like the RSR than the Cup to me.

great post.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690423 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409712 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255936 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235237 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65641 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858373 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774634 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM