Crown

Forum - Thread

New GT3 order

My friend has just ordered a GT3 touring.  He wants to know if there is any "good" options that he should add to his order.  He has other daily drivers so it is mainly a weekend car.  He isn't into hardcore track racing and will instead be using his car mainly around the mountain roads around his house.  Here are his specs - are there anything that should be added?  Thanks for your help.

meteor grey GT3

PCCB

lightweight battery

Dynamic engine mounts

front axle lift

leather interior in natural grey leather

additional leather package

leather a-pillar package

porsche crests on seats

sport bucket seats

rear section of centre console in leather

alcantara lid of storage bin with Porsche logo

alacantara trim switch panel

alcantara sun visors

alcantara thicker steering wheel

PCM

telephone module

sound package plus

universal audio interface

sport chrono plus

speed yellow instrument dials

speed yellow seat bels

speed yellow chrono timer

Re: New GT3 order

Drop the sport chrono plus. Adds no value or function, particular if you dont do track.

--
    Off enjoying my car...

...interesting combo, just right for a track car, though some people would not go for the PCCBs...if your friend does not want to track the car, why bother with a lightweight battery ? Apart from that, this combo would be my dream track car 

TEE:

Drop the sport chrono plus. Adds no value or function, particular if you dont do track.

Doesn't the throttle mapping change with SC?

--

"Form follows function"

d997h:

...interesting combo, just right for a track car, though some people would not go for the PCCBs...if your friend does not want to track the car, why bother with a lightweight battery ? Apart from that, this combo would be my dream track car 

I would not order the light-weight battery either: weight reduction of just 10kg, high price. Also, the battery does not work properly at lower temperatures. It is just useful for track driving.

IMHO meteor grey isn't a nice color for GT3

--
    Bye!

MKSGR:
    d997h:

I would not order the light-weight battery either: weight reduction of just 10kg, high price. Also, the battery does not work properly at lower temperatures. It is just useful for track driving.

I thought the same thing. 

If he particularly wants a lightweight battery for the sake of "innovation" and intends to use the car on weekends only, he might want to get a trickle charger to hook the battery up to the mains when the car is liable to be unused for several days? Smiley

--

fritz

I agree - drop the lightweight battery, it costs a fortune to replace if it goes out of warrenty and is less durable.  Track item only.

I also drop the engine mounts as they are only going to make the car less comfy when driven hard on the road.  Again a track item only.

Otherwise I think that is a cracking LUX spec GT3 - just delete the above two items as they dont seem to sit right to me as they compromise it towards a track bias.

Adam2S:

I also drop the engine mounts as they are only going to make the car less comfy when driven hard on the road.  Again a track item only.

This option should improve track performance quite noticeable though - if you ever visit the track.

Yeah, he is a gadget sort of guy, so the Lithium battery appeals to him.  Cost isn't an object for him, but are you guys saying that it needs to be trickle charged and conditioned if you only use the car say once a week?  That would suck.

As for engine mount, I thought it makes the car more comfy on the road when not driven hard?  When driven hard, he wouldn't care if it is hard anyway as you would want that.

yes, and I would rather have the engine mounts for future re-sale considerations...the next buyer may want a track machine...

Next owner could be me so I want to make sure it's right too.  Haha.  I am a CS sort of guy, so I would add the cage and extinguisher. 

Can you just change the lithium batt for a standard batt down the track?  I would hate to spend thousands on a battery replacement!  Also, how long does the PCCB pads and disc last for track junkies?  Again, thinking about myself down the track - potentially. :P

WAY:

, how long does the PCCB pads and disc last for track junkies?  Again, thinking about myself down the track - potentially. :P

Your comments on the battery are right. Thus, I would just leave the battery out...

PCCB life-span depends on how you drive on the track (they don't wear off on public roads)...

If you drive agressively (fast Smiley) on GP style tracks I would expect the pads to be done after about 300km. The discs will last for about 2500km (front a bit longer, rear a bit shorter).

...PCCB...the never ending story...a lot of track people rather spend the money on a dozen or so steel discs and pads, before having to replace a single PCCB disc...

Wow, I didn't realise that PCCB is so short-live on the track!  I race in time trial events etc so this would make it very expensive!!!  What do the pads and disc cost compared to steel items?  500% more?  More than that?

WAY:

Wow, I didn't realise that PCCB is so short-live on the track!  I race in time trial events etc so this would make it very expensive!!!  What do the pads and disc cost compared to steel items?  500% more?  More than that?

Should be about 10x the replacement cost of steel brakes Smiley The question is, however, how long the steel brakes last compared to CCB. Maybe the net effect("total cost") is just 5x. This is just a guess, though. Maybe somebody did a more detailed calculation/comparison Smiley

MKSGR:
    WAY:

Should be about 10x the replacement cost of steel brakes Smiley The question is, however, how long the steel brakes last compared to CCB. Maybe the net effect("total cost") is just 5x. This is just a guess, though. Maybe somebody did a more detailed calculation/comparison Smiley

Thanks.  So anyone done more detailed analysis on the cost comparison?  Very relevant to me!

Ok, I'm late to the party but just had to add my .02.

A lot of these option depend on personal taste (full leather, colour, etc.).

- Keep the engine mounts, they ARE an added value and will help for resale for sure

- Bucket seats

- Alcantara thicker steering wheel, the nicest wheel available IMHO

- Front lift is nice to have

- Sport Chrono is very polarizing: Some folks hate it, and some love it. Personally, I think it's ok and it's cheap. I have it in my C2S and the throttle is noticeably more responsive when I hit "Sport" button. I'm not 100% certain that this is a function of the Sport Chrono or SPASM, but it makes a BIG difference (maybe it's the SC that adds the S in SPASM? All these options confuse me )

- PCCBs undeniably reduce unsprung weight so that's a plus. Track guys seem to go either way for wear and feel; the steels are excellent and do not seem to fade if proper fluid is used (at least not until the most extreme conditions are encountered). In this case, as you friend is treating himself to a nice automobile, why not go for it. They are a "nice to have" option.

- I would NOT get the light-weight battery. This car is not specced out as a lightweight track tool (full leather, lifts) so going for a lower capacity light-weight battery for a weekend car is simply looking for aggravation down the road. And this has nothing to do with money.

Good luck and keep us posted.

--

Slow In, Fast Out

FFaust:

- Sport Chrono is very polarizing: Some folks hate it, and some love it. Personally, I think it's ok and it's cheap. I have it in my C2S and the throttle is noticeably more responsive when I hit "Sport" button. I'm not 100% certain that this is a function of the Sport Chrono or SPASM, but it makes a BIG difference (maybe it's the SC that adds the S in SPASM? All these options confuse me )

Without SC only the default throttle mapping, with SC you get two, Normal and Sport.

The PASM is the suspension with the variable dampers, nothing to do with the engine. Sport PASM (SPASM) as on the GT3 and optional on Carrera comes also with lowered and stiffer coil springs than normal  PASM suspension.

--

"Form follows function"

Thanks reginos, if that's the case, then SC is certainly worth it   When selecting "Sport", the throttle is more responsive as I have said, making it easier to blip for heel-and-toe. It does however make the throttle a bit too twitchy for stop and go traffic. So having the option to switch between the two modes is great.

Yeah, I'm familiar with PASM but the Sport button controls that, the throttle map, and the PSE in my case, so sometimes it's a bit hard to keep track of which acronym is attached to what system. Then if you add the stuff that comes with the S, as in C2S and the stuff that comes with SC, it get downright confusing... well to me anyway Anyway, I'll try to remember what you have said.

Now, getting back to Way's friend, is PSE standard on the GT3? I think that it is but, if it's not, that is one option you NEED to get it for sure!

--

Slow In, Fast Out

In a GT3 you get the "Sport" button also if you don't have the Sport Chrono Package.

So fortunately there is no need for the stupid clock (which Chris Harris described so nicely as a useless dollop of poo on a Byzantine statue.) Smiley

8000RPM:

In a GT3 you get the "Sport" button also if you don't have the Sport Chrono Package.

So fortunately there is no need for the stupid clock (which Chris Harris described so nicely as a useless dollop of poo on a Byzantine statue.) Smiley

I always asked myself why they do not offer the Chrono Package without this ugly clock on the dash board. The lap-timer functionality in combination with the digital display would be just perfect. There is no way I will drive a car with this ugly clock in front of me Smiley

Not in the GT3! ...SC does nothing to the throttle mapping. 

My dealer just sent me the Porsche product news on lithium battery.  It sounds like it is superior to a normal battery for daily use in every way (except cost obviously), and can be changed to a lead battery easily.  Is it possible to post PDF files here so I can show you guys?

Someone above said meteor is not a nice colour on the GT3.  Can someone tell me what colour this is on this video?  I am assuming this is meteor?

Make sure you specifically ask for the Pilot sport cup as your tires, I personally like it more than than Corsa. 

--

www.youtube.com/watch

WAY:

Someone above said meteor is not a nice colour on the GT3.  Can someone tell me what colour this is on this video?  I am assuming this is meteor?

It's Meteor and very nice for that.

However, some people believe that a GT3 must have a more "minimal" look with non-metallic classic colours like white, light blue, yellow etc. to distance the appearance further from normal 911s.

A matter of taste really.

--

"Form follows function"

WAY:

My dealer just sent me the Porsche product news on lithium battery.  It sounds like it is superior to a normal battery for daily use in every way (except cost obviously), and can be changed to a lead battery easily.  Is it possible to post PDF files here so I can show you guys?

The Porsche configurator states (in German):

Lithium-Ionen-Fahrzeugbatterie (18 Ah) zusätzlich beigelegt. Zum Einsatz z.B. auf der Rundstrecke anstelle der serienmäßigen Fahrzeugbatterie mit einem Gewichtsvorteil von über10 kg. Hinweis: Eingeschränkte Funktion bei Temperaturen unter 0°C. Anmerkung: Frühestens verfügbar ab 1/2010,

In essence they say that the battery is provided in addition to the normal battery, that the lithium battery can be quickly installed when you go to the track and that it does not function properly at temperatures below 0°C. Thus, they do not recommend it for regular use - they see at as a special item which you quickly install on the track Smiley

MKSGR:

In essence they say that the battery is provided in addition to the normal battery, that the lithium battery can be quickly installed when you go to the track and that it does not function properly at temperatures below 0°C. Thus, they do not recommend it for regular use - they see at as a special item which you quickly install on the track Smiley

That' s also what my dealer told me about it. Not good for daily use, mainly aimed at the track

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

reginos:
    TEE:

Doesn't the throttle mapping change with SC?

NO! This is a GT3 and not the normal 911. People always ask the same question. You still get the Sport button which changes the mapping, etc. if you dont select the SC. Ugly beast, that clock Smiley

--
    Off enjoying my car...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759391 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433629 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259704 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256830 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80556 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5304 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870600 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805568 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM