Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2010 Monaco F1 Grand Prix

The pass by MS on Alonso is illegal Smiley article 48 or something states that if the pacecar is out until the end of the race, the pacecar will enter to pits on the last lap (no drive to the  finish line) and the drivers will continue to the checkered flag without any overtaking.

--

Way to go Mark!!! What an amazing last 8 days for him.

At last a car and team to match his ability, after so many years of disappointment. 

IMHO the overtaking was perfectly legal because he overtook him after the SC line and they were driving under green flags.

gangajas:

IMHO the overtaking was perfectly legal because he overtook him after the SC line and they were driving under green flags.

Maybe this is one example of what one usually calls experience Smiley MS seems to know the rules better than many other drivers SmileySmileySmiley

Thoma:

http://planetf1.com/news/3213/6157621/Stewards-investigate-Schumi-s-move-past-Alonso

Thank you Smiley So:

Article 40.13 of the 2010 regulation states that 'If the race ends whilst the safety car is deployed it will enter the pit lane at the end of the last lap and the cars will take the chequered flag as normal without overtaking.'

Rule is pretty clear. Ross brown says the race didn't end with the safety car because there were green flags signaling the safety car was going in on that lap, but the rules say that the safety car must enter pit on the last lap (it cannot continue to the flag) so there is no other way the race can end with the safety car, I.e. the moment the race director decided to keep the safety car out until the last lap, it automatically means, the race ended with the safety car. Anyway... FIA has a hot one in their hands Smiley

--

Whatever, the outcome of the investigation I'm glad the old Schumacher is back. Opportunist and exploiting the last detail on the track

--

"Form follows function"

Mercedes GP point of view

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83670

--

"Form follows function"

Great picture. 

Why aren't the drivers cruising to the finish then? Seems like this was a confusing rule and MS took advantage of it, a punishment would be a little absurd given they waved GREEN flags, which means go. I expect another random decision from the FIA. Other than that it was a decent race though, RBR to the top with ease and domination. I hope they take both titles this year! 

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Well green flag = race ok. So either the pass was legal or someone waved an incorrect flag.

So where is the punishment for the guy who waved the green flag? And since he was clearly waving it, why did schumi get 20 seconds off and not just a place reversal?! Since again FIA decisions are biased.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Simple, breaking a rule = penalty (unless you are Hamilton).

The rule is pretty clear, you cannot overtake on final lap if safety car is out on that lap, period. Green flag means racecar has left, but if its the last lap it doesn't mean you can overtake.

Those are the rules, just like the new rule that wouldn't allow Alonso's team to fix his car in time for an opportunity to even qualify, and he had to start not on the back of the grid but on top of it he had to start from boxes... and still he overtook 17 drivers on the Monaco track. A greater feat than Schummacher finishing 5th from last position in 2006 since there were only 22 cars that year. After the luck he had this weekend and what he did on the race, he deserves that 6th spot more than anybody.

--

Schumi aside, am I the only one who feels that Hamilton has yet again been a complete fool? McLaren (Ron) has been there from the beginning and his public outburst, not the first time mind you, is how he thanks them. I'm not foolish, Ron and McLaren saw that they could benefit by supporting him through the ranks but Hamy has no class. I was one of the many whom thought that Button's decision was ill conceived but he has shown otherwise. Button could have acted like a diva (Hamilton) and yet he took the higher ground. 

Great race for Webber!   

What did Hamilton do? I missed it that.

--

Another outburst on the radio. The team told him that he needed to be careful with his breaks and his response was a very childish "do you want me to race or not."  

Can you blame him for responding that? I thought it was quite amusing and he did had a point. To much nannying in F1 these days anyway.

--

Morgan Aero 8

917962:

Another outburst on the radio. The team told him that he needed to be careful with his breaks and his response was a very childish "do you want me to race or not."  

Thanks, didn't hgear that one. Kind of serves them well, they spoiled him like a brat, so a spoiled brat is what they get.

--

What a fool decision of the race stewards, but that outcome was predictable, as Shuey buddy Damon  Hill was one of the stewards.

Some races ago, Alexander Wurz was also steward and had to judge some doubtfull situations of the race, and as a real racer he judged for the sport and against "laws" which were established by laywers without habing raced any racecar!!

MS did the right thing, the green flags were waved, everybody raced to the finishline, just FA made a mistake and good old MS took advantage out of it.

Furthermore it's a shame to penalize him with 20s, as the race ended with everybody within that timemargin!

Hopefully the sport "will win" and MS will retain his posiition...

Carlos from Spain:

The rule is pretty clear, you cannot overtake on final lap if safety car is out on that lap, period. Green flag means racecar has left, but if its the last lap it doesn't mean you can overtake.

That is not true. Green means free to race. 

http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/rules_and_regulations/sporting_regulations/8687/

The drivers then continue in formation until they cross the first safety-car line where green lights will indicate that they are free to race again.

With the rules you cite, the yellow flag should have been waved until the race ending.

Lord_Driftalot:

What a fool decision of the race stewards, but that outcome was predictable, as Shuey buddy Damon  Hill was one of the stewards.

Some races ago, Alexander Wurz was also steward and had to judge some doubtfull situations of the race, and as a real racer he judged for the sport and against "laws" which were established by laywers without habing raced any racecar!!

MS did the right thing, the green flags were waved, everybody raced to the finishline, just FA made a mistake and good old MS took advantage out of it.

Furthermore it's a shame to penalize him with 20s, as the race ended with everybody within that timemargin!

Hopefully the sport "will win" and MS will retain his posiition...

You know what: the important part is that Schumi smoked Alonso Smiley Who cares about the championship points... The Mercedes is not good enough to win the championship this year anyhow. So what matters is that MS was quicker than his team mate and that he smoked Alonso. Might give him some more mental strength for the races to come Smiley

MKSGR:

You know what: the important part is that Schumi smoked Alonso Smiley Who cares about the championship points...

Shht, you're right but don't tell Carlos Smiley

Eunice:
    MKSGR:

You know what: the important part is that Schumi smoked Alonso Smiley Who cares about the championship points...

Shht, you're right but don't tell Carlos Smiley

Quick! Let's delete my post before he sees it SmileySmiley

Carlos from Spain:

NO its even more simple, GREEN FLAG = GO 

Alonso = FAIL 

the 20 seconds penalty is pulled out of thin air and typically FIA crap. If the rules were so simple according to you, how come everyone still races thru the checkered flag? If the rules were clear i would coast thru it to save my engine Smiley

--

...Schumacher, Alonso, Hamilton or whatever.... IMO the current F1 is overruled. Penalising drivers for defeating their position, not allowing t-cars or punishing drivers for overtaking when safety car is in, that can´t be it... as said IMO way to much.  Rules should be straight and race focused, which is in some examples not the case anymore.

I think their hearts are in the right place in that they want to ensure no more deaths in the sport. But in doing so, the regulations have castrated the sport to a point that when a tragic incident does occur, it could very well damage F1's future. I feel like they are in some sort of feedback loop with regards to safety and precautions.

--

Good drive by Alonso, in the beginning lot of good overtakes in the backfield. What brought him forward was especially the early tyre change during first SC. Alonso did what he can, any point is worth in this years championship. 

FA Monaco 2010 (sun race).jpg

Atzporsche:

I think their hearts are in the right place in that they want to ensure no more deaths in the sport. But in doing so, the regulations have castrated the sport to a point that when a tragic incident does occur, it could very well damage F1's future. I feel like they are in some sort of feedback loop with regards to safety and precautions.

Yep...you are right, some regulations are overdone...

...I would lie to say I completly happy with Sebastians 2nd place. 

MW was doing so well and fully deserved the win.

Webber will be a bigger challenge for Vettel than many expected.

1274045006643SV Monaco 2010 (sun race).jpg

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763247 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435795 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260741 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257723 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    81007 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5323 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872687 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808163 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM