Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

So what kind of numbers will Car&Driver get?

they seem to be among the fastest (or most willing to abuse their test car). 997tt with tiptronic and warp drive (I mean sport chrono) on. 0-60 in ?, 1/4 mile in ?

What cars currently available could beat the aforementioned 997tt.

Re: So what kind of numbers will Car&Driver get?

please stop this kind of posts.

simply wait and enjoy your life!!! we will see some good figures, that is for sure but there is no need for speculation about tenth of a second.

you know what porsche claims and you know that porsche numbers are always very conservative. so let them suprise you!

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:997tt with tiptronic and warp drive (I mean sport chrono) on. 0-60 in ?, 1/4 mile in ?

There's nothing wrong with speculation...I won't offer my opinion on the Tiptronic, but I think the 6-speed will do 0-60 in 3.6 sec, and the quarter in 11.7 at 124 mph. It might even be a tenth or two quicker on a great day with a great driver.

Other cars that will beat that time? Maybe the C6Z.

Quote:
    guy2 said:

simply wait and enjoy your life!!! we will see some good figures, that is for sure but there is no need for speculation about tenth of a second.

you know what porsche claims and you know that porsche numbers are always very conservative. so let them suprise you!

Why the angst? This is a chat site. Nothing wrong in specualtion while waiting. I suggest you lighten up. Life is short and given your anger, maybe even shorter for you.

I've got 4 months to kill until I take delivery

waiting and speculating is part of "The Experience". So, either answer my original post or speed up delivery of my 997tt, either is acceptable.

Re: I've got 4 months to kill until I take delivery

I hope the tip with sport chrono does the quarter mile in 11.3, what do you guys think?

Re: I've got 4 months to kill until I take delivery

If the tip can manage the 1/4mile or under with sport chrono in 11.5 seconds or less I will be impressed.
    The CGT covers 0 - 60 mph in 3.6 and the 1/4 mile in 11.2 seconds.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    guy2 said:

Why the angst? This is a chat site. Nothing wrong in specualtion while waiting. I suggest you lighten up. Life is short and given your anger, maybe even shorter for you.

He's not angry...." simply wait and enjoy your life!!! "
    He's just confident about the 997T's potential performance numbers...

But yeah, theres nothing wrong with speculation

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    guy2 said:

I agree

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    they seem to be among the fastest (or most willing to abuse their test car). 997tt with tiptronic and warp drive (I mean sport chrono) on. 0-60 in ?, 1/4 mile in ?

I predict C&D 0-60:

manual- 3.3
    tip- 3.4

1/4 mile:

manual-11.4
    tip-11.5

But for some reason, I don't think C&D will test both, at the same time.

I don't understand how you expect the manual to be faster at the contests you posted. Based on the data available, it's basically impossible. I wish it wasn't true, but facts are facts. And I'm biased towards the manual, mine is a launch car w/ manual, sport shift and LSD.

Regarding what cars could currently beat the 997t (i.e. C6Z). Don't like it but true .

Quote:
    devo said:
    Regarding what cars could currently beat the 997t (i.e. C6Z). Don't like it but true .

The C6Z probably beats it (unless the Turbo is much faster than factory numbers), the F430 F1 and the M6 come close to the manual, at least up to 200 km/h.
    Then again, we have no information on how the C6Z performs above 200 km/h.

Quote:
    devo said:
    I don't understand how you expect the manual to be faster at the contests you posted. Based on the data available, it's basically impossible. I wish it wasn't true, but facts are facts. And I'm biased towards the manual, mine is a launch car w/ manual, sport shift and LSD.

I'm guessing that C&D will be ruthless with their manual times, rev up to 4000 rpm and beyond and drop the clutch. Porsche estimates are supposedly conservative and therefore the times can be improved, maybe significantly. The tip times were done with the torque braking method and maybe C&D can improve on them a little but I'm not sure. So I guess that C&D will improve on the manufacturer's times significantly with the manual and ever so slightly with the tip. Anyways, that's my prediction.

I predict 0-60 in 2.9 seconds.

I respect your opinion, however, a human, unless telepathic AND linked to the 997t can not beat the tips performance; even after excluding the tips brake torqueing advantage.
    I too, believe, that C&D will squeek out a few milliseconds or so, but it will be relative to the manual, (i.e. both will be faster, the tip will still win). Maybe, like you stated, they can lessen the tips advantage, but I wouldn't believe it to be by very much.

Agreed. Hopefully the turbo will post much better numbers and beat the Z evrywhere. Anyway, even slower, I'll still pick the turbo/ manual.

Is the M6 that fast?

Quote:
    devo said:
    I respect your opinion, however, a human, unless telepathic AND linked to the 997t can not beat the tips performance; even after excluding the tips brake torqueing advantage.
    I too, believe, that C&D will squeek out a few milliseconds or so, but it will be relative to the manual, (i.e. both will be faster, the tip will still win). Maybe, like you stated, they can lessen the tips advantage, but I wouldn't believe it to be by very much.

I think it will be a lot more than a few milliseconds. When C&D did their review of the 997 and 997S, they got these times (1st set of numbers is from C&D, second set of numbers is the official Porsche numbers):

0-60: 4.3 (C&D), 4.8 (Porsche)

997S
    0-60: 4.1 (C&D), 4.6 (Porsche)

As you can see, C&D improved on the official Porsche numbers by quite a bit and we're talking 500 milliseconds here, not a few milliseconds.

So if we're talking about the 997TT performance:

I predict C&D 0-60:

manual- 3.3 (my est for C&D), 3.7 (Porsche)
    tip- 3.4 (my est for C&D), 3.4 (Porsche)

I don't think I'm too far off. Anyways, it's just a prediction.

See below link for C&D article:

http://www.caranddriver.com/default.asp?...amp;agYear=2005

I predict C&D 0-60:

manual- 3.4
    tip- 3.1

Quote:
    devo said:

Because people still seem to suffer from some sort of "dillusion"? Due to the high torque, abuse will be either "limited" (electronically) or "punished" (destroyed clutch disc). I'd say that both may be involved.

But funny enough, I think that US magazines will mostly ask for manual tranny equipped cars, so there won't be a real back to back comparison available. I hope somebody proves me wrong though.

Don't take me literally when I say milliseconds. I'm fully aware of C&D's 997S test. I aslo own one. If I had to predict, I'd take two-four tenths of second off of Porsche's claims. Of course, the tip WILL be faster; no denying. I hate to guess though because as much as I love C&D's results, I question them; not as much as MT though with their recent ridiculous claim that an S and non perform the same.

If you still believe that a manual will go to 60 faster than tip, you should read some of the many threads by other members who have more knowledge re: the matter than I do.

Do you guy's have any idea what it takes to get a 3300 lb car to 60mph in less than 3.5 sec? Evey tenth of a second is precious and all the stars will have to align to get those type of numbers. If they bring it in around 3.7 it will be quite an achievement.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    devo said:

Because people still seem to suffer from some sort of "dillusion"? Due to the high torque, abuse will be either "limited" (electronically) or "punished" (destroyed clutch disc). I'd say that both may be involved.

jajajaa

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Do you guy's have any idea what it takes to get a 3300 lb car to 60mph in less than 3.5 sec? Evey tenth of a second is precious and all the stars will have to align to get those type of numbers. If they bring it in around 3.7 it will be quite an achievement.

Porsche is conservative and its claiming 0-60 in 3.4 sec... so whats your point??... You dont think C&D can come up with a better time (less conservative)

Actually yes. The car weighs 3500 lbs. so it would more of an achievement. I think Porsches's claim will be replicated and they have posted these times. As far as the lower numbers, I feel C&D will manipulate better numbers to sell more rags.
    Finally, 3.4, 3.7, whatever, it's FAST. I personally don't care at all about 0-60. It's not an acurate inidicator of a car's performance/speed. 20-120, is more like it, nailing it exiting a hairpin, etc... u know what I mean.

Quote:
    As far as the lower numbers, I feel C&D will manipulate better numbers to sell more rags.

Why do you think that? That's ridiculous. Is that the standard in which we judge automobile journals now? Funny, I judge it by content, graphics, layouts, commentary, I guess I'm just a minority.

Remember, guys, the 997TT-TipS is pre-boosted, and with those VTG's, that means CONSTANT torque of 500lb-ft/680Nm+ (with overboost) from launch to 100mph/160kph. What Porsche needs to do for a faster 6-speed manual is to tune it up to over 520 peak HP and 550lb-ft/750Nm torque, and then I'd upgrade the clutch-like the Sachs GT1/level 2 I put in my upgraded 996TTS-it's a piece of cake to operate with the OEM dual mass flywheel-can you say 997Turbo S ?

It's my opinion. And, I'm not using that as my standard to judge the mag, it's my belief/hunch, maybe baseless, maybe not. Scepticism you might call it. As I've said, I own a 997S, and I hope that it does run as fast as they say.
    I don't believe MT either and ther tests indicate that the car runs somewhere in the mid fours and a 13s 1/4.
    I believe it's safe to say that our Porsches's most likely run slightly faster than what the factory says.
    Does seem to be more compeling to say that a 997S ran a 3.9s (sprint to 60) rather than a 4.0s though. Does that make the car more desirable?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688251 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408588 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255488 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234709 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65341 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857465 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773188 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM