http://i53.tinypic.com/rkqw4h.jpg

Re: 997 GT2 RS - Official Information & Photos

just another typical side-ways performance from drift-journalists

--

Found this today .... a PDF brochure for the GT2 RS 

www.porsche.com/microsite/ipad/assets/downloads/kataloge/en/911_GT2_RS.pdf 

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

easy_rider911:

Found this today .... a PDF brochure for the GT2 RS 

www.porsche.com/microsite/ipad/assets/downloads/kataloge/en/911_GT2_RS.pdf 

Thanks Smiley

--

what does  (( Awe.)) means ? 

does stand for anything 

'Awe' refers to the fact that we should feel 'awe-struck' by what the GT2 RS can do and by how great a car it is  

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Hey Easy,

Are you making a shopping list as well?
    I was trying to turn that first CF picture into a wallpaper, but I'm pretty ill at the moment (jay, foodpoisoning at christmas :-( ), so I couldn't get the RS logo to fit in nicely... Anyway, the CFRP background is already there for the taking:

-Joost-

CFRP_1383x973.jpg

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

@Joost: LOL  

--

--

Desktop....I'm bored....

Larger Pic

--

--

Nicely done ResB Smiley

@Joost: hope you're feeling better Smiley

--

Thanks for that Rich, nicely done!
    How come you're bored? Stuck with the in-laws? ;-) Or did the plumber finally repair your heating and do you have nothing to complain anymore? I do hope it's the latter mate!

Easy, yes I am! :-)

--

Just bored....waiting for a client (potential) to give me a go ahead on a website.  Itching to get started.

Plumber still AWOL.  Do I come across as someone always complaining? Smiley  If anyone fancies a bespoke desktop pic and have any ideas of what they want I'll spend some time and do one I'm proud to put my name to. Smiley

--

LOL Richard, no, if there is anybody who comes across pretty positive even in harsh weather, it's you mate!

I do have anidea for a nice wallpaper: as you may know, I just LOVE pictures of 911 evolution. There used to bea fantastic picture of the complete line-up from the very first 911 up to the 997 mk1 (see below).

Is there any possibility of a pic like that with the 997 mk2 included? Or just all the gt2's or something?
    (That should keep you occupied for a while )

--

@Joost: do you have a high res version of that photo? 

--

Hey Easy,

The "original" can be found here: realitypod.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Porsche911CompleteEvolution.jpg

However, this is already a DIY project, since the original never went further than the 996 I think.

This one is also awesome, would be nice with the 997 turbo to it:

--

ResB, nice work!

--

"When you design a car around the customer's wishes, you get cup holders. When you design a car around innovative thinking, you get a Porsche."

Thanks Joost SmileySmiley 

--

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Community/Car-Magazines-Blogs/Ben-Barry-Blog/Porsche-911-GT2-RS-scariest-car-at-PCOTY/

Don't forget to check out the video

Porsche 911 GT2 RS: scariest car at PCOTY

There were lots of questions in my head before we left Dover for the south of France and Performance Car Of The Year 2010, but one was easy: scariest car? The Porsche 911 GT2RS. I reckon you’ll either know exactly what this car is, or you’ll have all the GT and RS cars jumbled together in your brain and won’t have a clue. The simplest way to describe it is a 911 Turbo with the boost tweaked up and the front driveshafts removed. So, 612bhp, 516lb ft and rear-wheel drive. Like I said, scary.

It’s a lot of car, and it’s fair to say it intimidated every last one of us. The first time I got to drive it was in the rain, and it wasn’t any fun at all, what with its Cup rubber and masses of power. These tyres work superbly in the dry, but they don’t clear standing water very well at all and need heat in them to work properly in the damp. It’s the classic downwards spiral: it’s damp, you know the tyres are tricky, you don’t lean on the them, they don’t warm up, you briefly lean on the front end and get understeer, you get scared, the tyres get colder…

But the video below is from a sunny day when I just couldn’t get enough of the GT2 RS. The road is from Sospel, above Nice, and it tracks west through the mountains. Stunning scenery, great road, no traffic, epic car. I just hope the thrill of driving this amazing Porsche translates to video.
    --

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Community/Car-Magazines-Blogs/Jethro-Bovingdon-CAR-blogs/Oversteering-in-the-911-GT2-RS-/Post.aspx

The art of PCOTY: oversteering a 911 GT2 RS

It might be very childish but I do love a gratuitous oversteer shot. They look great, are loads of fun to do and often tell you a surprising amount about how much confidence you’ve gained after a few hours in a brand new car. If you jump at the chance it’s a sure sign that you like the car in question, if your heart skips a beat just thinking about it then perhaps the chassis still holds plenty of secrets. When it’s suggested we do a sideways shot in a GT2 RS at this year’s PCOTY my heart freezes for about a minute, I feel a bit faint and I want to cry for my mummy. Not because the car isn’t brilliant (I actually loved it in just about every way), but because it’s not really a machine that you deliberately provoke.

A combination of a rear engine and 325-section Michelin Pilot Cup+ tyres makes for a surreal amount of traction. To breach it requires some brutality. And with a huge amount of turbocharged torque to juggle you can’t rely on super-accurate throttle control as you can in, say, a GT3 RS. The photographer chooses an uphill right-hander taken in 2nd gear and hemmed-in by rocks on one side, trees and a big drop to a fiery death on the other. Great. Despite the dread it’s still a thrill to hear the magic ‘all clear’ crackle across the radio from Ben Pulman, select 1st and give it everything. Getting paid to do this in somebody else’s car is ridiculous and wonderful.

Run 1 is a peach. I dive in on the brakes to get all the weight over the front wheels, pin the throttle, the rear wheels spin-up and the engine pops and bangs against the limiter and I ride out a frenzied fast-forward slide. It feels absolutely sensational. The single highpoint of the whole PCOTY test. The photographer, John Wycherley, wants more angle. Hmmm…. And so run 2 begins with a bit more determination and a bit more confidence. Too much speed on the way in equals messy understeer and rather than admit defeat I keep my foot in to get a good prod of slip on the exit. Big mistake. The understeer builds, the turbos really get into their stride and then instantly the RS flicks sideways and onto the lockstops and I’m pointing at that fiery death.

What to do? I decide braking might be a good idea (with ABS cars this is always the best option) and just when I think I’m about to remodel the 911, it bites and spits me the other way. I’m still thanking the big man upstairs when I finally get it pointing straight some 100-yards later. When I turn around and drive back to John he’s laughing. He puts his finger up to signal ‘one more run’. Did the designers use the shot I’d nearly died to make? Well, what do you think…

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/upload/24711/images/porsche911gt2rs001.jpg

--

Lovely read, I can very well imagine what he felt doing that.

I didn't know Bovingdon wrote for CAR Magazine too, aside from his job at EVO.

You can go fast, but never, ever kid yourself that you’re in charge.

I love this quote, this car is well underway to iconic status imo, much like the 993 generation GT2.

Porker:

I didn't know Bovingdon wrote for CAR Magazine too, aside from his job at EVO.

Many (most?) UK auto journalists are freelancers, so you'll see their names on articles in various magazines and newspapers. 

--

fritz

Ok, didn't know that. Freelance or not, they're lucky bastards!

Porker:

Ok, didn't know that. Freelance or not, they're lucky bastards!

Actually being paid for having fun, you mean? Smiley

They are indeed. 

--

fritz

BiTurbo:

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Community/Car-Magazines-Blogs/Jethro-Bovingdon-CAR-blogs/Oversteering-in-the-911-GT2-RS-/Post.aspx

The art of PCOTY: oversteering a 911 GT2 RS

It might be very childish but I do love a gratuitous oversteer shot. They look great, are loads of fun to do and often tell you a surprising amount about how much confidence you’ve gained after a few hours in a brand new car. If you jump at the chance it’s a sure sign that you like the car in question, if your heart skips a beat just thinking about it then perhaps the chassis still holds plenty of secrets. When it’s suggested we do a sideways shot in a GT2 RS at this year’s PCOTY my heart freezes for about a minute, I feel a bit faint and I want to cry for my mummy. Not because the car isn’t brilliant (I actually loved it in just about every way), but because it’s not really a machine that you deliberately provoke.

A combination of a rear engine and 325-section Michelin Pilot Cup+ tyres makes for a surreal amount of traction. To breach it requires some brutality. And with a huge amount of turbocharged torque to juggle you can’t rely on super-accurate throttle control as you can in, say, a GT3 RS. The photographer chooses an uphill right-hander taken in 2nd gear and hemmed-in by rocks on one side, trees and a big drop to a fiery death on the other. Great. Despite the dread it’s still a thrill to hear the magic ‘all clear’ crackle across the radio from Ben Pulman, select 1st and give it everything. Getting paid to do this in somebody else’s car is ridiculous and wonderful.

Run 1 is a peach. I dive in on the brakes to get all the weight over the front wheels, pin the throttle, the rear wheels spin-up and the engine pops and bangs against the limiter and I ride out a frenzied fast-forward slide. It feels absolutely sensational. The single highpoint of the whole PCOTY test. The photographer, John Wycherley, wants more angle. Hmmm…. And so run 2 begins with a bit more determination and a bit more confidence. Too much speed on the way in equals messy understeer and rather than admit defeat I keep my foot in to get a good prod of slip on the exit. Big mistake. The understeer builds, the turbos really get into their stride and then instantly the RS flicks sideways and onto the lockstops and I’m pointing at that fiery death.

What to do? I decide braking might be a good idea (with ABS cars this is always the best option) and just when I think I’m about to remodel the 911, it bites and spits me the other way. I’m still thanking the big man upstairs when I finally get it pointing straight some 100-yards later. When I turn around and drive back to John he’s laughing. He puts his finger up to signal ‘one more run’. Did the designers use the shot I’d nearly died to make? Well, what do you think…

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/upload/24711/images/porsche911gt2rs001.jpg

A few more pics of Jethro Bovingdon in the GT2 RS...

Porsche 911 GT2 RS: scariest car at PCOTY...

...video by Ben Barry for Car Magazine...

Smiley SmileySmiley

is it just me or is he driving on the left side of the road in southern france ???

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763517 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435986 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260810 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257770 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82558 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5324 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872830 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808325 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM