Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster - 987 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Boxster S PDK --- A great car from Porsche

dreamcar:
    pride355:
    The car is manual riding on 19" wheels; weighting at 1608 kg)

..and there lies the M3's problem.

Yes unfortunately biggest problem of the M3 along with the interior design SmileySmiley

It has to go on a diet at least for 100 kg. I have an easy solution for the first 40 kg.

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW (On ORDER)

09 Audi TTS Coupe / 07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

A quick answer regarding the CSL / E90 - comparison:

Actually, your "in a heartbeat"-comment sums it up very well.

The CSL is all about sound, presence and of course sharper, but makes sense only on a track or in a car collection. The E90 is technically a far superior proposition. (engine, gearbox, EDC...)

SMG vs DKG, no match! (not only smoothness, but added features like a creep-function)

It suits me very well as a daily driver, and what a joy driving back and forth to the Nordschleife in comfort.

Haven't driven a Boxster with PDK yet (just a non-S PDK 997 which impressed me)...

Dreamcar,

Have you driven a 997?  If you have i would be interested in your impressions?

DuckieRS:

A quick answer regarding the CSL / E90 - comparison:

Actually, your "in a heartbeat"-comment sums it up very well.

The CSL is all about sound, presence and of course sharper, but makes sense only on a track or in a car collection. The E90 is technically a far superior proposition. (engine, gearbox, EDC...)

SMG vs DKG, no match! (not only smoothness, but added features like a creep-function)

It suits me very well as a daily driver, and what a joy driving back and forth to the Nordschleife in comfort.

Haven't driven a Boxster with PDK yet (just a non-S PDK 997 which impressed me)...

Thank you for the quick reply Smiley

How do you compare the DKG vs. PDK?

Do you have the latest updated software on your DKG?

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Coupe / 07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

PDK is absolutely great, no doubt about it.

Btw: talking about DKG, you should really experience the 6-speed auto tranny on my X5 M. It is unbelievable how fast it shifts, even in auto mode. BMW M GmbH claims that it has the same shifting time as DKG which would be sensational. Yes, it feels that way.

For those who love comfortable automatic transmissions, the X5 M unit is definitely not it, shifting is very harsh and fast but I love it.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

RC:

PDK is absolutely great, no doubt about it.

Btw: talking about DKG, you should really experience the 6-speed auto tranny on my X5 M. It is unbelievable how fast it shifts, even in auto mode. BMW M GmbH claims that it has the same shifting time as DKG which would be sensational. Yes, it feels that way.

Smiley

On the new M5, AKA F10 M5, BMW may use this auto tranny, too.

--

ONUR

Woolfe:

Dreamcar,

Hi Woolfe

I did have a loaned 997.1 C2S a few years ago, and loved the performance and the more masculine sound of the engine (that car had PSE). However it felt marginally less precise and a shade more cumbersome than the Boxster. Perhaps that's due to lack of familiarity of the 997 way of doing things. With the engine in the "Wrong Place"  Smiley and less weight on the front wheels that can only be expected. (I know wait to get flamed)! Smiley 

I have also had a very brief drive of the 997.2 C2S PDK and felt similar to the above, not surprisingly, but was very impressed with the speed of the PDK 'box. However in "Normal' mode the upshifts were very early and left to its own devices the upshift revs were at almost diesel like revs."Sport" mode was ideal, with quicker shifts at higher revs. "Sport Plus" I found unsuitable for road use, the box hanging on to high revs more than ideal before changing up. In thes hort time I drove the car I couldn't get used to the steering wheel "switches" although I guess it gets familiar with use - counter intuitive and clumsy in operation.

The Boxster Spyder I drove at a recent Silverstone driver event, complete with that gorgeous new wheel with "proper" paddles was an absolute revelation, loved the car and PDK. I'd probably go for a Boxster S in the real world with it's much better soft top. I'd love to try a 997.2 PDK with that new wheel, I'm sure it would be a huge improvement, as others on here who have retrofitted it have attested.  

--
    Boxster S 3.4 06 Cobalt / Ocean Blue (Zuffenhausen collection)  BMW 123d M Sport 08 Le Mans Blue / Lemon

dreamcar:
    Woolfe:

Dreamcar,

The Boxster Spyder I drove at a recent Silverstone driver event, complete with that gorgeous new wheel with "proper" paddles was an absolute revelation, loved the car and PDK. I'd probably go for a Boxster S in the real world with it's much better soft top. I'd love to try a 997.2 PDK with that new wheel, I'm sure it would be a huge improvement, as others on here who have retrofitted it have attested.  

I don't understand you guys that don't like the "normal" PDK paddles... After 1-2 hours or so I liked the paddles already. I use the right button to shift down and press the left one with the lower part of my palm to shift up. Works perfect, if you ask me.

The only downside (and this you will also have with the optional flaps) is that you cannot shift properly if the steering is not in or close to standard position as you lose orientation where the paddles actually are. The Ferrari/Lamborghini concept of paddles fixed to the column of the steering wheel seems to be better suited for ambitious driving.

I hate those buttons Markus!  It's very unnatural for me because all my other cars have normal paddles.

MKSGR:

I don't understand you guys that don't like the "normal" PDK paddles...

Maybe in my case, as I mentioned, it was lack of familiarity, but MKSGR - have you driven a 997 / Boxster / Cayman with the new wheel? Smiley

--
    Boxster S 3.4 06 Cobalt / Ocean Blue (Zuffenhausen collection)  BMW 123d M Sport 08 Le Mans Blue / Lemon

WAY:

I hate those buttons Markus!  It's very unnatural for me because all my other cars have normal paddles.

I understand - of course, if you have to readjust constantly (from car to car) that is not ideal Smiley

dreamcar:
    MKSGR:

I don't understand you guys that don't like the "normal" PDK paddles...

Maybe in my case, as I mentioned, it was lack of familiarity, but MKSGR - have you driven a 997 / Boxster / Cayman with the new wheel? Smiley

Not yet, I must confess Smiley I have to try it Smiley

pride355:

My pleasure!

I was pleasantly surprised with the PDK. From my experience it 's more sound / solid than DKG.  (difficult to explain)

My M needs some maintenance soon and will (hopefully) have the latest software installed then...

DuckieRS:
    pride355:

My pleasure!

I was pleasantly surprised with the PDK. From my experience it 's more sound / solid than DKG.  (difficult to explain)

My M needs some maintenance soon and will (hopefully) have the latest software installed then...

DKG:

- reacts slower on manual shifts

- reacts slower to throttle input (downshifts)

- has a very nasty habbit of delayed reaction if you brake, take a bend in 2nd gear and then reapply gas

- needs to be adjusted (in 6 steps) to behave more or less according to driver demands whereas Porsche's PDK "knows" what the driver wants...

- sticks to low gears for a frightening long period when the engine is still cold

In summary, PDK is worlds ahead of DKG...

Same applies to steering and suspension setup/precision if compared to the M3. Porsche engineers simply know how to develop cars. Just saw a 599 when driving the Boxster S service car recently. At this moment I just thought how nice the 599 looks and sounds... The next thought was that even a Boxster S is a more refined product in terms of steering, suspension, gear-box than the 599. No kidding.

MKSGR:

In summary, PDK is worlds ahead of DKG...

Now I feel like selling my car... 

...but my next Porsche wil definitely be a manual.

MKSGR:
     Porsche engineers simply know how to develop cars. Just saw a 599 when driving the Boxster S service car recently. At this moment I just thought how nice the 599 looks and sounds... The next thought was that even a Boxster S is a more refined product in terms of steering, suspension, gear-box than the 599. No kidding.

As a Boxster S owner I need to try a 599 for a few days to make an assessment of this. Anyone out there feel like loaning me one? Smiley Smiley Smiley

--

You really must try it. Since I have had mine put on I have driven in manual 90% of the time in the car. Hardly used the push button as I call itSmiley.

Think it gives you a sense of involvement now.Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689015 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408924 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255625 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234885 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65461 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4640 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857753 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773722 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM