Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Porsche Panamera Turbo v Aston Martin Rapide

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quTaa7l2Wgo

So according to them the Panamera beats the Aston in every thing but in the end they say no question the Aston is better? Smiley

Re: Porsche Panamera Turbo v Aston Martin Rapide

Thanks for the vid.

Letting "desirability factor" beat performance, handling and comfort is like judging the host by his british accent. 

Great Video.

I was shocked to see how small back row of the Aston is. I doesnt look like a usable 4-seater, neither from the seat space nor from the trunk!

It's a 4 door 2+2 really. I cannot see how the British press try to promote it as an (inferior) Panamera rival.

IMO as a concept and in driving dynamics the Panamera has no real rivals until perhaps the BMW 8 series comes in 2013 and by that time we shall have the Panamera.2 with lots of improvements, I expect. The CLS is too Mercedes to be a credible rival.

--

"Form follows function"

Eunice:

Thanks for the vid.

Letting "desirability factor" beat performance, handling and comfort is like judging the host by his british accent. 

Do you think maybe his accent made it harder for him to substitute the more appropriate expression "poseur factor" for what he obviously really meant when he said "desirability factor"?  SmileySmiley

--

fritz

fritz:
    Eunice:

Thanks for the vid.

Do you think maybe his accent made it harder for him to substitute the more appropriate expression "poseur factor" for what he obviously really meant when he said "desirability factor"?  SmileySmiley

BS

A sedan has NO place on a track and has no use for extreme speed or cornering. Just beyond silly, monty python levels of sillyness. They are both 4 passenger vehicles, no rear bench. 99% of the time the rear passengers will be children. They both have ample room for chilldren. The only performance metric measured of use was the braking at which they were equal.

The 2 most important features for this vehicle class are looks and luxury feel/status - and in those categories it is no contest. If you want a sports car buy one, if you want a beautiful luxury sedan there are many to choose from and the panny does not make the list, thanks to WW.

That's your opinion. The Porsche is better build and more comfortable while also being way cheaper! No contest really, and that is not even including the performance which you render useless in this comparison, but which actually will matter to many in this sector.

The 970 has it's flaws in size and design, but it is a true Porsche in that it delivers the performance and built quality that made them successful.

The Rapide on the other hand feels like a quick (read cheap) stretched DB9, which not only makes it look stupid, but also deminishes the DB9. Not that it was ever that much of a performer, how many would be impressed in their DB9 at a light when a family pulls up next to them in a identical more door AM! I think to ask such a price for the AM, given the looks and performance figures is ridiculous.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Atzporsche:

That's your opinion. The Porsche is better build and more comfortable while also being way cheaper! No contest really, and that is not even including the performance which you render useless in this comparison, but which actually will matter to many in this sector.

The 970 has it's flaws in size and design, but it is a true Porsche in that it delivers the performance and built quality that made them successful.

The Rapide on the other hand feels like a quick (read cheap) stretched DB9, which not only makes it look stupid, but also deminishes the DB9. Not that it was ever that much of a performer, how many would be impressed in their DB9 at a light when a family pulls up next to them in a identical more door AM! I think to ask such a price for the AM, given the looks and performance figures is ridiculous.

Well said Smiley As an M5 owner, performance matters to me, no matter how many doors. The Rapide is a cartoon.

I have not driven nor sat in either car so I can not say whether one feels cheap or the other well built. I have seen a panny which only reinforced my opinon of it. At this level people spend money to make themselves happy not to save a buck so price is not a factor. Does a GT2 owner feel diminished when a base carrera pulls up to next to him at a red light?

Neither 1 of these cars would be my first choice for a sedan but if I was restricted to these 2 and had to choose, it would be a quick decision

The Panamera Turbo is a much better performer, so this is a no-brainer when it comes to a buying decision. I would never ever pay that kind of money for a car which is inferior in performance (Aston Martin). 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

If you want to "perform" you drive a pure sportscar ar GT3, scud, or stradale. For all other applications it is the best mix of

1) looks

2) sound

3) feel

for me personally  my particular 928 is the best at 1,2,and 3 with the One77 maybe the only thing that would do it as well/better for me. For a sedan I would say

1) looks

2) safety results/ features

3) luxury

4) quietness - least road and wind noise

5) stereo

6) HVAC

0-60 who cares? I am not competing with anyone. Drive kids to school like a GP driver? 

So for a sedan my favorites are late 90's full size S-class or an LS460 or maybe the CLS.

not an ugly duckling

I always forget about this one, but I would consider this too

racerx:

Does a GT2 owner feel diminished when a base carrera pulls up to next to him at a red light?

Does a Passat driver feel diminished when a base Polo pull up? The carrera is NOT advertised as competition to the GT2. Oh I get it, you are saying the AM is a level below the 970. Now you're on to something Smiley

PS spot on with the Audi, I loved that S8 it was way behead of the MB and BMWs for a long time. Even the older one was nicer IMO, understated and performer Smiley

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

I think you know what I am saying with the 911 different model analogy. Too bad the links to the rapide pics has gone bad already. But no matter because.......................

Here is what I have always considered the Best, the ultimate, Sedan. For all time classy looks, size, quality (if you dodged a lemon), convenience and safety features. The best looking S-class ever built before they went narrow and wheel bulgy.

The W220 S600 V12 from about MY2000. This is the car I would have as a sedan to cruise down the highway in comfort and style if I was not in a hurry or had to carry people.

Carlsson-Mercedes-Benz_S-Class_1999_1600x1200_wallpaper_01.jpg 

Carlsson-Mercedes-Benz_S-Class_1999_1600x1200_wallpaper_05.jpg

I would take that over any other sedan built since or before, because it has all you could need for features and the best looks.

Very funny review by Clarkson but watch the end to see how this thing looks on the highway.

This Top Gear Mercedes S600 video is classic and so fun to watch!

Funny .... most of things you can have now in a Golf/Renault Megane or even a Skoda!

Racerx I can’t agree with you. While YOU may not want a sedan with good amounts of speed (though an S600 isn’t a slouch) there very obviously IS a market for that type of family car and has been for quite some time (the MB SEL 6.3 & 6.9 in the ‘70’s, the Lotus Omega, M5’s, the Porsche built 500E, all AMG sedans, Audi S6’s, S8’s & RS6’s, CTS-V’s, XJR’s and now the Panamera and Rapide…). Performance is a legitimate variable when looking at all of these cars. And not just straight line performance! While they are not (and don’t have to be) track ready monsters, they by their very nature, have to be more than competent on twisty roads. Driving a 4 door car doesn’t preclude me from driving in a spirited manner…

I also don’t agree with the fact that at the price of a Panamera, money doesn’t matter anymore. In my opinion most people (even the ones that buy a fully loaded Panamera Turbo) aren’t comparing it to a Rapide but more likely to a MB CLS first, to an A/S8, BMW 7 series or S Class or some type second, and only then (and only a few) to a Bentley Flying Spur, RR Ghost or Aston Rapide third.

Having sat in the back seat of both the Panamera and the Rapide, let me assure you, the Panamera is closer to all of those other cars than it is to the Rapide in back seat size. The Rapide is a coupe where you don’t have to fold the front seats forward to get into the back. That’s it. Four adults can get into that car to go to dinner. As long as it’s close.

The Panamera competes with the Mercedes CLS much more than it does with the Aston. CLS 350 – 550 – 63 to a V6 – V8 – Turbo Panamera. With an equivalent to a 550 4-Matic thrown in as well…

--
    Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Exactly the S600 is no slouch!

Because the Panny came out so ugly, everyone wants to focus on the performance with its track times and 0-60 times. If that is your main concern buy a sports car. Horses for Courses.  If you want a 4 door sedan for hauling family members or business associates or golfing buddies - you will not be sliding thru corners or flooring the gas pedal. That extreme level of performance is useless, only good for bragging rights.

You will want a beautiful, comfortable, and safe car that is large enough for the task AND also has enough performance ability to be enjoyable. Nothing does that better than the S600 - double glass for sound and temp insulation, airbags everywhere, radar, sensors, stereo, voice controls, .......................................................................................... oh and a big smooth powerful V12. Plus it (the W220) looks the part better than anything else. CLS would be 2nd. 

The 2003 w220 had 0-60 of 4.6 plenty fast for me. And the looks for a sedan - timeless like the 928 for a gt.

the W221 interior

Very well said, Mithras. I really wanted the Panamera Turbo as a family car but at 170000 EUR for a car optioned to my liking, I had to pass. Porsche Germany offers now a special lease offer which is very attractive for the Panamera Turbo but when I ordered my BMW X5 M, the new family car, this lease offer wasn't available.

Now I'm actually happy about it because the Panamera isn't just the right car for Germany right now, I don't want to draw too much attention at this moment.

I like the Panamera but I think Porsche would have sold more cars in Europe with a similar visual downsizing like they've done on the Cayenne. Only looks smaller but this really matters over here.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Panamera & Golf.JPG

What do you want to tell us with this photo ? I have no clue. 

--

In that case , I leave it as a puzzle to you .

I can solve the puzzle

racerx:

size comparison - the masterpiece and the new kid on the block

928 vs Panamera.jpg

928 vs Panamera1.jpg

One more for your collection  Smiley

928 & Panamera.JPG

Misha.

great photo - Pana looks greta compared to 928.

--

AM
    www.aldo-yachting.de

whatever gets you thru your day 

--

The size comparison with the 928 is actually pretty good but if you wanted to do the same with the Golf, I'm not sure you succeeded (this is a Golf Plus). Still wondering...not that I don't like puzzles. 

--

I think that both (928 & Golf plus) comparison are good  -  and this one too

high class.jpg

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    766800 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437813 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261579 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258511 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    83066 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5342 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877918 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    810515 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM