Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: An audiophile CD that will blow the doors off of your Bose equipped 997.

derder:

since all the audiophiles are coming out....
    me also a Wilson user, tho only Sophia II.    am looking to upgrade tho.

shortlist are:
    Marten Coltrane Soprano
    Magico V3
    Rockport Mira Grand
    Kharma Exquisite Mini

Ah yes the crazy audiophiles :-) are coming out of the woodwork. I've listened to the Magico V3, with Tim de Paravicini EAR tube components. It has exquisite craftsmanship, stunning design, stunning sound. The highlight is the treble: smooth as silk, delicate, grain free. Soundstage is spacious, imaging top notch. Something about the speaker makes me want to touch and caress it. Smiley

Re. opinions on component matching: Do you have tube or solid state pre-amp in your system? The Wilson speakers tend to have hot treble and therefore IMHO a tube preamp does wonders. One of my favorite audio "moments" is Dave Wilson himself as a DJ, demoing his Watt/Puppy using all tube Jadis components. ( My brother has Watt/Puppy and uses tube pre and power amp from Conrad Johnson, long a TAS's and HP's favorite.)

If you've never had a tube preamp, see if you could borrow one from the dealer and listen to it at home (vastly better than showroom demo). It might just be a revelation and you might just never "come back." Smiley

--

Regards,
    Can
    997 Turbo + Bilstein Damptronic "Stage 2" ( Review ) + GIAC ECU Tune ( Fast as a torpedo & reversible to stock - Review ) + Cargraphic Exhaust ( Oh heavenly noise! )

cannga, i belive the Wilson titanium tweeter hotness was resolved with the intro of the maxx 3. the same tweeter is now built into the sasha and sophia 3. i do however agree, that powerful tube amps sound best with wilson speakers.

here are some build pics of my maxx3 i received from debby wilson. dave's daughter:

IMG_3778.jpeg

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

IMG_3780.jpeg

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

1273421251065IMG_3781.jpeg

--

1273421435833IMG_3786.jpeg

--

IMG_4221.jpeg

--

1273421974723IMG_4225.jpeg

--

paint room looks better than that of some auto manufacturers.

i saw 'corvette' on megafactories yesterday and thought to myself that i would not even want to have rubber boots done 'there'...

--

Awesome shots! Thank you very much!

derder:

yes yes!  keep them the recommendations coming!

any one out there going to the Munich Hi End show??

since all the audiophiles are coming out....

me also a Wilson user, tho only Sophia II.    am looking to upgrade tho.

shortlist are:

Marten Coltrane Soprano

Magico V3

Rockport Mira Grand

Kharma Exquisite Mini

the sad thing is, being in Australia.  I cant have a home audition at all... might hv to go overseas and listen to them. tho different rooms and equipment means it near impossible to do any serious listening.

maybe just let my wife decide which one looks the best in my house! 

many comments/experience of the above speakers and equipment matching??

I don't own Wilsons.  I have a pair of Von Schweikert VR-9's.  I would definitely give them a listen if you are shopping.

--

'06 997S X-51 Atlas Grey

I am using Vitus int amp at the moment.  having owned ARC pre + monoblocks before with my Wilson will good result.

yes, the tweeter does sound bright/ over over analytically which every way u wanna describe it....

I find the Vitus to be a good match for Wilson, with a grainless sound my ARC will only dream to have.  whilst its certainly a "warmer" sounding SS amp, not the same "warmess" u get with say Accuphase.  but with Accuphase (which I also had), u miss out on detail and microdynamics I get with Vitus.

but I do find the tweeter too hot when I use anything other than copper cables. eg, Crystal Cables/ siltechs/ Nordost.  so I settled on Purist and Transparent and they work a treat!

but if I change speakers..... I have to start from page 1 again....

and intouch1,  those Maxx3 look so cool in white!!!  

but u need a bigger listening room!!!

All very nice systems guys. I am impressed.

--

Regards,
    Can
    997 Turbo + Bilstein Damptronic "Stage 2" ( Review ) + GIAC ECU Tune ( Fast as a torpedo & reversible to stock - Review ) + Cargraphic Exhaust ( Oh heavenly noise! )

cannga:
    Janis Ian had a big hit, At Seventeen, when I first came to America. Sometimes, one associates a song with a certain memory, and At Seventeen always reminds me of the Pennsylvania refugee camp (not what you think, not the Ritz Carlton but not bad either, I actually gained weight and grew :-)) we lived in that summer. After that hit, Ian then sort of disappeared from the scene. The next disc, Breaking Silence, is her comeback attempt around 1993. I first heard it at the house of a professional speaker designer (like going car shopping with Chris Harris). It has since become a well known, gold standard demo cd among US audiophiles, for both the great music, and the absolutely stunning sonics.

It is an all out, no holds barred, audiophile recording, from start to end. Rare, expensive, and gold standard equipments were used every step of the way. Famed Telefunken U47 tube mic was used for Ian's voice, then tube mic preamp, then 30 ips Ampex tape. The mastering engineer was Doug Sax (Sheffield). To give the "normal" non-audiophile people on this forum some perspective: In automotive terms, this would be the equivalence of having Mezger and Rohrl tuned my Turbo.

I'll let the quality of the song writing speaks for itself. Sonically, this will be among the most realistic recording you will ever hear. The band will sound like it's in the room with you, Janis's will be whispering in your ears. Details of Ian's voice are astounding & you'll hear every one of her breaths and intonations. Bass is tight and so powerful that before I ran 20 amp dedicated lines to my Krell FPB 600 amp, lights in my house used to flicker with every drum whacks of the last track, Breaking Silence.

Unfortunately the disc is out of print, so you'll have to buy it on ebay or Amazon. There are some new copies that should go for 20-30 (expected price gouging), with used copies going for much less. BTW, used cd's (and books) from Amazon are safe -- just always look for sellers who have sold hundreds or thousand plus items, and with rating of 95% plus. Trust me, this will be the best $5 you will ever spend for audio.

Janis Ian.jpg

For those who have bought RLJones's Girl at Her Volcano, I would very highly recommend this Janis Ian disc as well. The pair makes for a fascinating sonic comparison & contrast. While both of these discs have outstanding sonics, probably only Breaking Silence received an all-out audiophile treatment from start to end: tube equipments, analog tape, etc. The question is: Does this make a difference?

The key is the voice. While I love loud and explosive drum whacks because the bass provides a foundation for the music, midrange (voice, violin, piano, etc.) is the most "important" frequency range in audio. "If you don't get the midrange right, you don't have high fidelity." To compare midrange, easiest to pick out quiet and slow pieces, without much drumming or other instruments. In addition, the music has to be good, otherwise you won't pay enough attention and will be bored to death. For the non-audiophiles reading this, what you do is put one song on, concentrate on the voice only, then put the other song on, etc.; do it a few times.

The 2 tracks, Jones's Walk Away Renee and Ian's Through the Years make for very good comparison. In Walk Away Renee, Jones's voice is there in the room with you, but it is on the "thin" side, and sounds a tad bright and brittle. In contrast, in Through the Years,  Ian's voice is soft; it has a 3d quality, a body to it (I know, I *am* crazy. :-)). You will hear every inflection of her voice and you'll hear her breath trailing off at end of a words. Jones is in the room, but Ian is on your lap! It is this seemingly minor difference that moves us. To understand the difference is to understand audiophilia, and the pathos of us audiophiles. Smiley

--

Regards,
    Can

To understand the difference is to understand audiophilia, and the pathos of us audiophiles. Smiley

--

I thought I was the only "sick" one in the group.  Now I feel betterSmiley

--

'06 997S X-51 Atlas Grey

Got the Janis Ian disc today.  Nearly ran out of my house during the whisper in "Ride Me Like a Wave".  Janis was sitting next to me during this passage.

Thanks for  recommendation.  Keep them coming.  

In the interest of keeping on topic I will go out an look at my Porsche for one minute and then back in to finish the rest of the CD. 

--

'06 997S X-51 Atlas Grey

^^^Glad you like it! Go ahead and crank it up and feel your house shake :-). From 3 dimensional soundstage, to pinpoint imaging, to voice to-die-for, to earth shaking bass & drum, this is a reference caliber disc through and through. I use it to tune my system: If it doesn't sound right, something is wrong with the system.

To make explicit what has been implicit throughout my "review" of Breaking Silence, it is the number one disc in my collection and represents all that is good and fun about audiophilia. Many hi-fi discs will bore you to tears because the sonics might be great, but the music lousy. Here, as absolutely stunning as the sonics is, it serves as supporting cast to the fantastic music of a great singer songwriter, aging and reflecting on her life with melancholy and wit.

It seems Ride Me Like the Wave struck a chord in you :-), several other tracks I enjoy:
    Guess You Had to Be There: The 60's. 10 years ahead of my time, but still a lovely song to me.
    What About The Love: Besides the sonic spectacular that ends the song, something about this song gives me the creeps and the goosebumps. :-) "Who named you accuser, who gave you the scales."
    Walking On Sacred Ground: Sound of percussion instrument at 1:48 on = utterly unbelievable attack and decay. And a wonderful song.
    This Train Still Runs: Another sonic spectacle, here at beginning of song. Lovely song, again.
    Through The Years: This one is special because if my wife is mad at me, or I want to buy new toy for my Turbo, I could play it for her to "calm things down." Smiley
    Breaking Silence: The demo song that will send people scurrying for cover. The one the speaker designer used to show off his behemoth system to me. Made lights in my house flicker before I had dedicated 20 amp lines to the Krell FPB 600.

Honestly and really, anyone on the fence, this disc is recommended without reservation or hesitation. Best $5 you will ever spend in your life. Breaking Silence on Amazon

--

Regards,
    Can

Had a group over last night.  Played Breaking Silence first.  Absolute silence from Pink Floyd (The Wall) and Queen ( Bohemian Rhapsody) crowd.....  A first.

As said before, best $5 I spent.  Amazon has never failed to deliver the goods.

--

'06 997S X-51 Atlas Grey

What is a "car" song? 

To me, it is one that causes you to speed everytime it comes on the radio. One that causes you crank up the volume and drive like you don't have a care in the world. And 20 years younger. For classical music, to me Beethoven's Choral Symphony and von Suppe's Light Cavalry Overture are prime examples. Carmina Burana and Barber of Seville overture also good candidates. For classic rock of the 60's, perhaps Beatles' From Me to You, or the Stones' Jumpin' Jack Flash, Paint It, Black, etc. These things cause me to speed, unnecessarily. SmileyCar songs can't make you think too much, or reminisce, like about the girl friend who left you in college. They are there for one reason, and one reason only: make you speed.

For pop music, the next cd is for me the ultimate car cd. This cd goes on, I speed! Like a robot responding to a command. The largest number of "car songs" in any cd I've ever listened to. Only problems are one, you have to like pop music of the 80's, two, more specifically, you have to like American pop music of the eighties, and three, it is 100% "americana" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americana .  If you don't like any of the above then you should skip it. Lastly, there is nothing audiophile about it. The sound is horrific: harsh high end, pathetic drum/bass, flat sounding. To make this cd listenable in the Turbo's Bose system, you have to crank the treble down, and the bass up. And as always, I would recommend that you turn of the surround sound processing.

--

Regards,
    Can
    997 Turbo + Bilstein Damptronic "Stage 2" ( Review ) + GIAC ECU Custom Tune ( Fast as a torpedo & reversible to stock - Review ) + Cargraphic Exhaust ( Oh heavenly noise! )

Dammit...this is the first time you guys caught me naked on a topic I don't have a clue about.  

Impressive stuff you guys own. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Nice to know there are audiophiles on this forum.

First, let me get this "negative comment" out of the way. While I'm not sure of the latest generation of Porsches but my 997.1 Turbo had a horrible sound system IMO. Now I feel better.

Back in the 80's and thru the 90's I considered myself an audiophile, owning an all tube, all analog system consisting of:

Koetsu Rosewood moving coil cartridge

Mapleknoll air bearing turntable & arm (sounded amazing compared to Linn LP12 but air pumps were a real pain in the....)

VTL amps (6550/KT88 Tubes?) and Pre-amp (both modified with RelCap capacitors etc)

Magneplaner speakers

Cardas Cables

Sold everything when I moved to NYC and now I have a simple surround sound system with B&W speakers - please don't hold it against me. Still enjoy good music however.

Anyway here are some album suggestions which I highly recommend:

1. Oscar's Motet Choir -  CANTATE DOMINO - (preferred song: Weihnachtslied) - Proprius 

2. The Stockholm Cathedral Choir - NOW THE GREEN BLADE RISETH

3. Carol Kidd - DEBUT - (pref. songs: "You go to my head" and "Trouble is a man") - Linn Recording. Also check  her album DREAMSVILLE with the song "A Nightingale song in Berkeley Square"

4. Domnerus Hallberg - JAZZ AT THE PAWNSHOP - (I like: Limehouse Blues) - Proprius

5. Stan Getz - GETZ AU GO GO - (I have most of his collection but like "Might as well be Spring" on this album) - Verve recording with Astrud Gilberto.

Cheers and enjoy your marvelous systems.

PS - I'm a big David Wilson fan. Intouch1 - you will love those speakers! By the way, a system must be matched properly, or at least according to ones tastes.  IMO, Wilson speakers don't sound bright - just revealing as hell.

RC:

Dammit...this is the first time you guys caught me naked on a topic I don't have a clue about.  

Impressive stuff you guys own. 

RC welcome to the wild wild world of high end audio, where the pursuit of "perfect sound" has no limit. Think about "pen collectors," we are just one step less nutty. Do you think a Surround Sound preamp could cost the same as 2 sets of PCCB? http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1313052

mp, small world:  I actually use Koetsu Rosewood and all tube CJ pre amp, and Magneplanar 3.5 (besides the Thiel speakers for the hometheater). One word, Magna, and I know I am talking to a connoisseur. Smiley
    It sort of makes sense that a few Porsche drivers are audiophiles: compulsive, type A personality, hard headed, argumentative, the qualities are all there.

--

Regards,
    Can
    997 Turbo + Bilstein Damptronic "Stage 2" ( Review ) + GIAC ECU Custom Tune ( Fast as a torpedo & reversible to stock - Review ) + Cargraphic Exhaust ( Oh heavenly noise! )

Straight from the heartland of America: John Cougar Mellencamp. For a penny (!) you could have a piece of Americana and one of the greatest collection of "car songs" in my opinion: Amazon.com-Mellencamp. He is an extremely successful artist, "specializing" in a type of music branded "heartland rock" in the US, peaking in the 80's. You could read more about Mellencamp here: Wikipedia-Mellencamp.

Starting with Crumblin' Down, then Authority Song, Lonely Ol' Night, ROCK in the USA, Cherry Bomb, this cd has more songs that cause me to risk getting a speeding ticket than any other in my collection. My favorite is probably Lonely Ol' Night, but all of these songs rock. As mentioned, sonically it's not very good; you have to turn up the bass and turn down the treble because this is a thin sounding cd. Musically, if you like American pop music of the 80's, it is fantastic. Very highly recommended!

(Sorry I don't mean to be a commercial for Amazon; I just don't know how to get rid of the "Buy MP3" button.)

517u3mzJiuL__SS500_.jpg

Song Title Time Price  
    listen   1. I Need A Lover 5:37 $0.99 Buy Track
    listen   2. Ain't Even Done With The Night 4:38 $0.99 Buy Track
    listen   3. Hurts So Good 3:39 $0.99 Buy Track
    listen   4. Jack & Diane 4:16 $0.99 Buy Track
    listen   5. Crumblin' Down 3:35 $0.99 Buy Track
    listen   6. Pink Houses 4:44 $0.99 Buy Track
    listen   7. Authority Song 3:49 $0.99 Buy Track
    listen   8. Lonely Ol' Night 3:45 $0.99 Buy Track
    listen   9. Small Town 3:41 $0.99 Buy Track
    listen 10. R.O.C.K. In The U.S.A. (A Salute To 60's Rock) 2:55 $0.69 Buy Track
    listen 11. Paper In Fire 3:52 $0.99 Buy Track
    listen 12. Cherry Bomb 4:49 $0.99 Buy Track
    listen 13. Check It Out 4:20 $0.99 Buy Track
    listen 14. Without Expression 5:06 $0.99 Buy Track

--

Regards,
    Can

I' ve got that CD  I  used to listen to JCM when I was around 15-16 years old ( 1981-82 )  and used to listen to the album American fool . I bought that compilation about 3 years ago as a remember of my favorite tunes during my adolescence . 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

I got this one, very nice double CD.

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

^^^Rossi, yours is the more complete collection and is the better choice. I was just being "cheapie."  Someone is selling my version for a penny!

Your version, from the description, probably has better sound as well. Mine is just about one of the worst sounding cd's I've listened too: thin, harsh, no bass.

Oh I forgot to mention the sadistic sounding "Hurts So Good," another one that makes me speed unnecessarily.

--

Regards,
    Can

cannga:

sadistic sounding "Hurts So Good," another one that makes me speed unnecessarily.

common baby, make it hurst so good ;-)

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

It sort of makes sense that a few Porsche drivers are audiophiles: compulsive, type A personality, hard headed, argumentative, the qualities are all there.

...which makes me think about watches... Do Porsche owners actually buy Porsche Design watches? Surely not..?
    --

Isn't it time you got yourself a !waytag?   www.waytag.com

^^^Guilty as charged. But my excuse is I am not a watch connoisseur, just looking for a watch with Porsche on it!

--

Regards,
    Can

Don't get me wrong, I think they are beautiful designs actually.  And excellent watches. 

I kinda like the understated "best in class" concept though: I wear an Omega Seamaster (not a Rolex), and play a rugged vintage Fender Stratocaster...

But I can't be too judgemental -  I'm a hopeless guitarist, a bad driver, and I can hardly tell the time...

--

Isn't it time you got yourself a !waytag?   www.waytag.com

Favourite Driving song currently is Everything But The Girl / Walking Wounded / Wrong (track 2).  Of course it still sounds bad in the car (even with the 'sound plus' system - setting fader -2, bass -2, treble+2, SDV off, loudness off.  Final touch is Sport Button On - sound much better.

Favourite audiophile CD - Carol Kidd, All My Tomorrows.  

Audio System coming:

MBL 101E II speakers, 9008A amps, Weiss DAC 202

Runner-up audio system was:

Focal Stella Speakers, McIntosh amps, Weiss DAC 202.  

Prior System(s) Linn, all active for the larger system.  and of course the obligatory LP12 (basic)

Here's an email I did to a friend (who just bought some W.A. Sasha's) about the HK Audio show we went to recently:

Quite a few interesting things to listen to, in general the show was very crowded very hard to get quality listening time. Audio volume was generally played way too high the worst one was the Wilson showroom, they had the Alexandria X2 II,  we got really good seats almost prime seats in the middle and left after about 2 min into the first track.  They also seemed to be suoplementin the X2's base with these giant (person size) woofer boxes in the corners of the room.  Yes … very good … They could make the roof rattle! hmmm

Focal had their Stella's there.  The exact pair we've listened to previously with McIntosh amps.  Same good, enjoyable Focal sound, but of course it was impossible to get the prime seat in a room with about 30 people sitting and another 50 odd standing!   

Our most impressive was MBL,  They were demoing their 'little' 116F's, and the sound coming out was impressive.  It was a little hard to describe as their sound essentially radiates, and that's how 'free' the sound was.  So all of this 'radiation' produces such a delicious and captivating sound that you could do a blind test between speaker and something live, and really it would be a guess.  With that type of sound, it was like staging was a given – the speakers took care of that.  

We liked that sounds so much, that the store managed to arrange for us a listen to their 101E II.  Their bass isn't quite as clean as the Stella's (in general), but we did find that listening to Sara K or Carol Kidd, we managed to lose some of the (perhaps unnatural) bass that the Stella's did produce. Their voices sounded great.  Piano sounded very good (Lang Lang),  http://www.mbl.de/en/   We thought most of our music sounded better on these speakers than on the Stella's.  They were better at making an average piece of music sound better too.  They also handled the 1812's cannon's well.  We managed to get them to sound boomy on one drum piece that the shop had demoed in the show, but he did warn us that in the odd shaped room we had and that it would sound too boomy.  On the other hand Gaga sounded as boomy as natural.   You need a lot of power to drive them.

Other speakers we listened to:

Avalon Time, nice, but nothing special.

Ascendo – my colleague has these but I thought they sounded tin-potty

German Physiks – similar 'open' soound to MBL, but felt like the cheaper China / knock-off version and lacked bass.  

Adam Tensor – mid-range and higher was interesting, sort-of like an old grammaphone sound to it, but they really lacked bass

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689583 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409237 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255745 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234995 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65524 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4648 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857992 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774045 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM