Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Inventory of my last mods.Or latest, whatever..LOL

Meanwhile the list of toys continues; next is Fabspeed Tip. This one is strictly personal preference: I can't stand the oval tip that the Turbo comes with so a replacement is necessary.

Although I have Cargraphic Exhaust, I did not use the Cargraphic Tip for a couple of reasons: One it's oval, two it has a bright chrome and I like something duller. Lastly, not as much of a factor but still, I have some difficulty with paying $1200 for just an exhaust tip.

The Fabspeed tip has a stainless steel finish (dull, similar to brush aluminum, with a slight yellowish tone to it), which I much prefer over the bright chrome finish of the stock tip. Cost is $650 and I like it a lot; it is sporty and "muscular" in appearance.

--

Regards,
    Can
    997 Turbo + Bilstein PSS10 (Review) + Cargraphic Exhaust (Heavenly Race Car Noise Smiley Review)

Can't resist posting this shot of the car's rim: HRE P40.08AE4866 hre ART.jpg

--

Regards,
    Can
    997 Turbo + Bilstein PSS10 (Review) + Cargraphic Exhaust (Heavenly Race Car Noise Smiley Review)

One more toy and an alert in case you want a great Porsche watch that lists for US $3300 but is on sale for $990 (!). Bought mine at the Porsche Design store in Beverly Hills.

I've "watched" this watch for a long time, but never bought because I need another watch like a hole in the head. But... but... but... saw the sale yesterday and couldn't believe it: 70% off on this great classic design, supposedly by Ferdinand Porsche himself 3 decades ago. Just posting in case you are interested. It's simple & "muscular" looking design. I like the grey face but chose black because it is easier to read.

It's automatic, 40mm, and most importantly has both day and date that are easy to see, for those whose advancing age has affected their vision and memory. I'll post my picture later but for now:

http://www.porsche-design.com/live/P6500_Heritage_en.PorscheDesign?variantImage=P6510_Edelstahl_Schwarz_Edelstahl

Porsche-Design-P6510-Chronograph-P011.jpg

--

Regards,
    Can

08AE9528-1.jpg

Porsche: The gift that keeps taking... Anyone interested, give your Porsche Design store a call. I think the Beverly Hills store has 2 left, but grey instead of black.

http://www.georgedunhill.com/index.php/Threads/Watches/porsche-design-p6510-chronograph-p011.html
    It’s said that Ferdinand Porsche himself lent his design genius to the creation of this watch three decades ago. As a matter of fact, this is the company’s first venture into chronographs. The P011 is more than an extraordinary, elegant and sporty timepiece as it echoes the milestone of being the first entirely black chronograph in the 1970s. The P011 features self-winding mechanical movement; hour, minute and second display; chronograph; date and day display; and tachymeter scale on the flange. Its sapphire glass cover is scratch-resistant and anti-reflective. The P011 is available in either stainless steel or titanium casing with matching metal, or natural rubber strap.

--

Regards,
    Can

Shorter is better!

Part number 997 - 424 - 983 - 00. For US owners: I got mine from from Sunset Imports - Oregon, US $426. Installation should be around $250. Review to come, but boy, among other things, what a remarkable transformation in the subjective "feel" of the car, for a change seemingly so minor.

08AE5530.jpg

--

Regards,
    Can
    997 Turbo + Bilstein Damptronic "Stage 2" ( Review ) + GIAC ECU Tune ( Fast as a torpedo & reversible to stock - Review ) + Cargraphic Exhaust ( Oh heavenly noise! )

Didn't you have the factory short shift?

GT:
    Didn't you have the factory short shift?

No, at the time of planning for my car, I deliberately did not order it. The cost of the short shifter option is the same as staying with the standard shifter, and buy a short shift and install later. I decided on the latter approach because of the obvious advantage: I get to experience both the long and short of it (pun intended :-)), at no extra cost.

I know it's strange but I am even more interested in the difference between the 2, than what the short shift by feels like! It's so much more interesting that way.

--

Regards,
    Can
    997 Turbo + Bilstein Damptronic "Stage 2" ( Review ) + GIAC ECU Tune ( Fast as a torpedo & reversible to stock - Review ) + Cargraphic Exhaust ( Oh heavenly noise! )

cannga:

I know it's strange but I am even more interested in the difference between the 2, than what the short shift by feels like! It's so much more interesting that way.

...you must be a real fan...Smiley

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S (Jun 10) *  BMW X5 M

Conny997:
    cannga:

...you must be a real fan...Smiley

Yes! Strangely enough the configurator for the 997.2 Turbo manual doesn't show the short shifter option.

--

Regards,
    Can

The long and short :-) of the Short Shifter Kit:

Ad material will tell you this short-throw gearshift mechanism reduces lever travel about 20%, but believe this: the physical, and *psychological* :-), effect is quite a bit more than 20%. The physical change is no different from what's been reported before:

Overall feel: the Long Shifter feels mushy/rubbery, the Short Shifter (SS) has a solid/metal character. With the SS, you could feel the path of travel in you hand, and at the end of shift, the lever comes to a satisfying solid stop, and more importantly, a metallic "click." It's this click, click, click sound that makes me row through the gears even at Stop signs .

Effort: SS takes about 30% more effort to shift. This is the ONLY negative aspect of the SS: if your wife shares the car with you, she might not like the effort. But it's so good that maybe the wife shouldn't... never mind.

Speed of shifting: I don't know if my shifting is faster and have no way to measure. I assume the shorter path makes it slightly faster.

Confirmation: OTOH,  the end of the SS, being closer in 3D space, could make it at first sometimes confusing as to whether you are in 3rd or 2nd (over-rev $$$ implication).

Psychological ;-):  I at first was taken aback by the significant subjective change and was amazed by how this seemingly insignificant device could alter the "feel" of the car so much. It's as if you've installed a "Bad Boy" button in the cockpit: I feel like I *want* to drive the car faster, and I do drive the car faster. It's a more dynamic driving experience, no doubt about it. HIGHEST recommendation, without reservation.

--

Regards,
    Can

The days of modding is coming to an end for sure. Until the next 911, or Cayman RS, with hybrid electrical power (for better low end torque) and PDK shows up in my garage a few years from now, my modded Turbo is going to be king of the jungle. Or at least, my jungle. It looks nicer now, and more importantly handles so sweetly (exceedingly tight and fast Smiley) that it makes me happy every time I drive it. Anyway, following is an old but important mod that I've not listed: TechArt I Front Spoiler, model: 097.100.180.009, cost: a sobering US $2400 (vendor).I had to do it because the Turbo stock lip looks toy-like thin and "weak" to me, and over time had gotten on my nerves. No kidding.

It is a little costly, but people have asked, and I have looked, and nothing else looks as good, and is as well made. I believe TechArt "body parts" are made of polyurethrane, as opposed to fiberglass by some other brand (check for yourself), which would tend to crack more easily. For the first few months after installation, I looked at this lip every day because, really, it looks quite pretty to my eyes. Now that I've had it for a long time, it's down to every other day. :-)

The "before" picture, with stock front spoiler, is a couple of posts above this. This is after: 

08AE9843-6 TECHART WHITE SUB.jpg 

--

Regards,
    Can

Looks great! Now you really need the GT2 side skirts as they would look more in synch with that new lip!

And its a porsche part..

doesn't this disrupt the balance between front and back ? ok just kidding....looks great

BjoernB:

doesn't this disrupt the balance between front and back ? ok just kidding....looks great

Yes I've been troubled by a sonic boom that lifts the front end whenever I cross 5 mph. Actually sometimes it's beneficial since if I time the booms correctly, I could literally glide over a row of parking lot street bumps like a hovercraft! :-)

Thanks guys. GT, is there any mod that you have NOT done? Smiley

--

Regards,
    Can

Lol, you are right! But its so much fun!

Great car, Can!!!

--

997 GT3 RS

Thanks Mikla!

cannga:

The long and short :-) of the Short Shifter Kit:

Ad material will tell you this short-throw gearshift mechanism reduces lever travel about 20%, but believe this: the physical, and *psychological* :-), effect is quite a bit more than 20%. The physical change is no different from what's been reported before:

Overall feel: the Long Shifter feels mushy/rubbery, the Short Shifter (SS) has a solid/metal character. With the SS, you could feel the path of travel in you hand, and at the end of shift, the lever comes to a satisfying solid stop, and more importantly, a metallic "click." It's this click, click, click sound that makes me row through the gears even at Stop signs .

Effort: SS takes about 30% more effort to shift. This is the ONLY negative aspect of the SS: if your wife shares the car with you, she might not like the effort. But it's so good that maybe the wife shouldn't... never mind.

Speed of shifting: I don't know if my shifting is faster and have no way to measure. I assume the shorter path makes it slightly faster.

Confirmation: OTOH,  the end of the SS, being closer in 3D space, could make it at first sometimes confusing as to whether you are in 3rd or 2nd (over-rev $$$ implication).

Psychological ;-):  I at first was taken aback by the significant subjective change and was amazed by how this seemingly insignificant device could alter the "feel" of the car so much. It's as if you've installed a "Bad Boy" button in the cockpit: I feel like I *want* to drive the car faster, and I do drive the car faster. It's a more dynamic driving experience, no doubt about it. HIGHEST recommendation, without reservation.

I have to give an update because I find myself enjoying this Sport Shifter so much. It remains one of the best upgrades I've ever made to my car. I still have a hard time believing just changing the shaft length (ahem) a small percentage results in such a SIGNIFICANTLY different shifting & driving experience.

I think the fulcrum point is also changed and maybe *this* is the real reason for the difference? Any mechanical engineer here?

The effort IS higher, but I am not a particularly physical or muscular person Smiley and have no problem whatsoever. Occasionally I still have doubt whether I have just down shifted to third, versus *first* gear ($$$), but that's strictly related to my skill and unsolved paranoia LOL. The bottom line is the change in feel and the more solid click and linkage make this an absolute no-brainer of a mod, and my recommendation would apply to not just Turbo, but regular 997 owners as well.

--

Regards,
    Can

I LOVE what you did to your car Smiley Looks good!

--

There is no try. Just do.

Hey Can,

What do you think of ECU upgrades on 997.2 TT's, I've got about 11,000 kms on mine and with all theseTurbo S's coming out to play I'm thinking about a little extra power :)  I already have the Cargraphic sports exhaust , i think i ordered that the day the car arrived hehe and I'm loving it, they also offer an ECU upgrade, what are your thoughts?

Oh and thanks for pointing me in the right direct pentium :)

Moser:

Hey Can,

What do you think of ECU upgrades on 997.2 TT's, I've got about 11,000 kms on mine and with all theseTurbo S's coming out to play I'm thinking about a little extra power :)  I already have the Cargraphic sports exhaust , i think i ordered that the day the car arrived hehe and I'm loving it, they also offer an ECU upgrade, what are your thoughts?

Hi Moser,

Power junkie, aren't you? Smiley The most critical issue about upgrading power of 997.2 TT is IMO not the engine per se, but the gear box. Whether your car has PDK will determine what you could do.

1. If your car has PDK, be very careful about upgrading the power to higher level. I do not follow European tuners, but in the US the one I would trust with respect to PDK work is Champion Motorsport, and this is their work so far:  http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2/212137-pdk-clutch-upgrade-champion-motorsport-updated-3.html .
    If you upgrade the ECU and damage the PDK, you are talking $$$ + $$$ + Smiley .

2. If your car has manual, then yes Cargraphic would be a good choice, assuming the work is still done by RS Tuning (I don't know and don't follow this.) Among US tuners, a number of tuners do good work. I like my GIAC tune quite a bit and would recommend it very very highly and without hesitation. Champion Motorsport which I mentioned above also use GIAC for the software part.
    Very important to have local support when you start playing with the engine. Whoever has the highest local presence, that's whom I would go with.

3. One thing you might want to think about is upgrade the suspension to make it firmer, and use R compound tires like Pirelli Corsa when it's not raining. 997.2 Turbo suspension is an improvement over 997.1 Turbo, but in my opinion is still a very soft car and could benefit from stiffer suspension/spring, a la Bilstein.
    A firmer suspension WILL make your car feel faster and lighter. Guarantee.
    The R compound tires stick like crazy glue and will be an eye opening experience. Guarantee.

Congrats on the Cargraphic exhaust. Best "investment" I've made. When I drove the 997.2 Turbo, I felt that its exhaust is better than 997.1 (warmer and slightly louder), but not as good as Cargraphic with respect to loudness and sound quality. Matter of personal preference of course.

--

Regards,
    Can

Thanks so much for the help Can, I do have PDK, there was no point to upgrade from my 2007 997.1 TT, which was manual, unless i opted for the PDK.  I still love the manual tranny but PDK is also and amazing experience, so fast and smooth.

My current turbo is riding on Cup tyres, the Michelins and the experience is quite amazing as you said, the car sticks to the ground once you've warmed those babies up!

I'll have a look at Bilstein, but how much firmer is the suspension, because our roads aren't exactly the smoothest, I don't wanna be feeling every bump, and are they adjustable?

We have little to no support here from any major tuner, as the market is very small, and as you said that is very important, you need to know if anything goes wrong you have someone here you can go to for support, I guess I'm stuck with my 500hp lol lol

I agree with you about the cargraphic exhaust, I had it on my old TT and it was the first thing i ordered when my new car arrived:):)

I'll keep you posted if do anything else and if other ideas pop into anyone's head i'm a good listener hehe !!

^^^Moser you're welcome. Recent thread by PJ Turbo S - Highs and Lows reinforces my opinion even more that PDK = "don't touch that ECU." I hardly feel sorry for you though ; Turbo PDK is a fantastically fast and exciting car.

I only know about Bilstein coilover for the 997.1 Turbo, not 997.2, and I don't know Beirut road quality, so could only give some general answers to your question re. Bilstein. It is designed mainly for street application so is not *overly* stiff at all IMHO. For example there is hardly ever any complaint on these forums re. its stiffness. so while YMMV, this should give you a rough idea that it is worth a consideration.

While the 997.2 Turbo suspension is an improvement over 997.1, it is still relatively soft in my opinion. (There is nothing wrong with this as this is how PAG engineers design the car to be - a grand tourer.) I suspect if/when Bilstein comes out with its coilover for 997.2 Turbo, it will be an improvement over the stock car, for those who want to trade stiffness for better handling. All a matter of personal preference of course. I brought up the suspension issue to answer your "more power" question only because IMHO a stiffer car will feel faster, and is faster, within reasons. The steering will feel faster and more direct as well as you stiffen the spring.

Another point to note is the importance of matching tire to suspension; as you switch from regular street tire to R compound tire with its stiffer wall and higher traction (what you and I are doing), ideally you would like to stiffen the suspension as well. Otherwise, the soft stock suspension gets "overloaded" in corners (too much lateral force on the soft spring). This point was made in a recent interview with WR, when they were talking about the street GT3 they were going to race at the 'ring. IIRC (anyone corrects me as needed), as soon as they change to slick tires, the upgrade to stiffer springs.
    --

Regards,
    Can

cannga:

^^^Moser you're welcome. Recent thread by PJ Turbo S - Highs and Lows reinforces my opinion even more that PDK = "don't touch that ECU." I hardly feel sorry for you though ; Turbo PDK is a fantastically fast and exciting car.

I should note that despite of the potential risk, there *are* PDK cars being modde. We know about the GIAC car, here is one from EVOMS:
    http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2/221449-evoms-tune-997-2-pdk-turbo.html .

Note that none of these cars has progressed beyond a simple stage 2 (exhaust and ECU). The next stage, adding an intercooler, probably will have too much torque for the PDK box to handle.

--

Regards,
    Can

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753332 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430827 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258645 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255501 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79551 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868419 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802025 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM