Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Quattrocento cinquantotto or my new ride arrived part two...

I thought I give this thread an Italian title, since it sounds so nice. Smiley

Dear Rennteamers, perhaps you remember this thread:

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/page1.html?vs=10  (sorry again for this one Smiley)

Well, this time I don't want to fool you anymore, all I can tell you is:

THIS CAR IS EPIC. Smiley

Pics will follow...

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Re: Quattrocento cinquantotto or my new ride arrived part two...

nonono! u cant do it again! we want pics NOW stefan!!!! you should be banned for this!!! congrats! enjoy it in good health!

--

2010 Ferrari 458 Italia (April)

2009 nissan GTR

2007 BMW M5

Once bitten, twice shy... I will wait for the pic's before I congratulate anybody...

Just a little teaser, before I go to bed... Smiley

P1000406-2small.jpg

--

Just can't wait for the photos...Go Italia, Go !  

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Rossi:

Just a little teaser, before I go to bed... Smiley

P1000406-2small.jpg

Best photo yet of RICS. Glad you went for it !

I suspected something was up when I posted that the only Rennteamer Dimitri got the call to order the 458. Your response was very telling. To paraphrase "what makes you think that?"

Right then I knew you had something going.

Congratulations. I am sure it is everyhing you had hoped for and more. What did you do with your Spider?

--

I want to start congratulating you but i'll wait for more pics ... you are way too sneeky 

IF OK, please take some close up pic of the nero tachometer.

thanks

Turbo4ever:

thanks

how do u know its gonna be nero?

Enmanuel:
    Turbo4ever:

thanks

just guess Smiley

Turbo4ever:
    Enmanuel:
    Turbo4ever:

thanks

just guess Smiley

Wrong guess. Giallo. Smiley

@9Eleven:
    RICS do look great and fits perfectly to the light grey of PEXS. At least for me the perfect solution. Smiley 

@Nick:
    Thank you! Smiley
    The car is fantastic, really, really fantastic. Porsche quality paired with Ferrari fascination. I never thought that such a car would come out of Maranello.
    The F430 (Berlinetta BTW, no Spider) went for the 458. 

--

Congrts Smiley Looking  forward to pics and your driving impressions.

Enjoy your new car but I think you will enjoy pushing your other one around more

Rossi:

Porsche quality paired with Ferrari fascination. I never thought that such a car would come out of Maranello.

This will be proven with time and only if you put it to the same variety of use and you pile up a realistic number of  kilometers on the counter.

However, I hope you are correct!

Enjoy your new car Smiley

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Congratulations !! Looking forward to some pics and a review

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Many congrats Rossi! specool.gif

looking foward to the pics and your driving impressions! Smiley

--

Stefan,

Congrats!Smiley

I know that you waited for 458 as keen as possible. Smiley

Also, I am glad that you like the car that much. BTW, wheels are RICS?

Enjoy it!

Congrats Rossi!

Are we going to see a 0 - 200km/h test on youtube ? 

Tires are Bridgestone S001 or Michelin PS Cup ?

--

http://i28.tinypic.com/166k5zo.png

Kreso: yes, it's RICS. I'm really glad I ordered the standard wheels with RICS, they look special and fit perfectly to the 458. I saw the sport wheels in silver finish again at my dealer, at least in this colour they are simply not my cup of tea.
    (sport wheel definitely have to be in grigio as in Iain's order)

BiTurbo: I went with Michelin, I guess this was the right decision as well. Not sure about the 0 - 200 km/h  youtube thing though.

--

I will not be fooled again, I will not be fooled again, I will... All right, it looks legit this time.

Many congrats to you Rossi, enjoy in good health.

Many congrats !!! Cant wait for pics !!!!....

I still remember the video of Chris Harris driving to the limit through the mountain roads !!!, what a sound !!!

--

I still have no better pics of the car, but here are some preliminary thoughts after the first 500 km:

This car is fast, fast, fast. I drove the 997.2 PDK a while ago and was rather impressed, but I don't find the 458 to be very much slower. For now I only reached speeds up to 220 kph, so I can't really comment on how quick it will be to 300 kph or above, but the way up to 200 kph is very impressive.

Maybe the best, but definitely one very important thing about the car is the new transmission. The DCT is fantastic, best of both worlds really. In the city it works like the best automatic trannies, yet in manual mode it is so quick, so involving, especially in Race mode, that you won't miss the old sequential F1 not even for one minute. At least I don't miss it at all, if I compare the DCT with the (very good) F1 in a 599 for instance, the DCT wins hands down.

The engine noise is intoxicating, especially in Race mode. The valves open already at around 1.000 revs here, so you have the sound from the very beginning. I you really want to let your neighbourhood know that you drive your Ferrari, just choose Race. On the other hand this is the first Ferrari I have driven, with which you can travel relatively silently, at least if you don't rev it too high. Just choose Sport and the valves won't open before 3.000 or so. Cruising in the city without going too wild is absolutely possible and I appreciate that very much. Sometimes you don't want everybody to look at you.

The electronics in the car are endless. So far everything works fine. The left TFT display with its VDA (vehicle dynamic assistance) and additional gauges is nice. The VDA is helpful if you are pushing the car really hard like on a racetrack, since you can see the temperatures of the brakes, tyres and engine. When driven on normal roads, you might get some difficulties to warm all parts up, especially the front tyres. VDA only works in Race by the way. If you choose the left TFT for the additional gauges, you get some information about oil and water temperature for example, but the most important information are the fuel gauge, the digital speedometer and the perhaps the cruising range. The third possible use of the left TFT is a trip computer and a lap timer, trip computer without the number for average fuel consumption by the way.

In fact the left display is nice to have, but the right one is much more important during normal driving (note: not racetrack). It either shows radio/media information, phone settings or the navigation system. The map function of the navi is very nice and the location of the map right in front of the driver is very helpful and just where such a map has to be. No matter if you use the infotainment system you can always choose the right screen for a virtual speedometer, either in an analog version or a second digital speedometer, but with very big numbers, which fill the whole of the screen. For now I find the digital version easier to read and for this reason more useful. 

Build quality still seems to be very good. The car is very rigid, no rattles or squeaks in the cabin so far (something I wasn't used to until now). There may be some hidden areas, where you still can see "the Italian job", but at least you don't recognise these parts unless you really tear some carpets apart or crawl into the most hidden corners of the cabin.

I went with the standard seats and find them quite good. They are rather supporting, especially the backrest. They are relatively firm, but I think that will be of advantage on longer trips, at least no backache up to now. So far I don't regret not to have ordered the Super Racing seats, but then I have never been a friend of those tight sport buckets. I also don't regret not to have ordered the HiFi upgrade, the standard system does the job very well, at least for my expectations. Note: as picky as I am when it comes to HighEnd at home, as easy to please am I with car stereo. But the standard sound system does everything I want, it sounds nice when playing music and you can understand phone calls very clearly, so that is more than enough for me.

So one last word on the performance. Though I don't rev it too high, what means only up to around 6.000 rpm at the moment, the car goes like stink. You really have to control the speedo or your driving license will be in highest threat. Just tap the accelerator and you reach 150 kph like nothing, which is at least 50% percent too much if you are not driving on the autobahn. And I have to say it again, these gear changes are absolutely stunning, but I am also very pleased by the auto mode. So far I use perhaps 20% auto (mainly in the city)  and 80% manual.

One last word concerning the indicators and the other controls located at the steering wheel: the indicators take some time to get used to, I would say it is about the same situation as getting used to the puddles of Porsche. But after a while you know where the button is and you get it right. Is it an improvement? I would say no, but it is no disadvantage either, just something to get used to. The button for high beam, just beneath the left indicator button is very easy to use though, I had no problem with that from the very beginning, but then you don't use it so much as you do with the indicators. Talking about the lights, high beam is very good and the optional AFS is highly recommended, it is very helpful in cornering. The button beneath the right indicator button is for the wipers, but this one was not used so far. And last but not least, the button for comfort damping is a very nice feature. It was first introduced in the Scuderia I think. This softer damping setting is very useful for example when travelling in Race on rural B-roads, which are there a lot over here.

All for now, hope you enjoyed reading. Smiley

--

Great review

--

http://i28.tinypic.com/166k5zo.png

Congratulations and thanks for the report.

Ciao

--

Slow In, Fast Out

Enjoy it in good health mate! 6k RPM? You still have 200 BHP on tap...  Awaiting for the full report.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

You meant 997.2 turbo PDK right?

Thank you for your review and I wish an enjoyable experience.

How many kilometers do you intend to cover in a year with the new Ferrari?

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

ffforever:

You meant 997.2 turbo PDK right?

Whoops my bad, I meant Turbo of course. Smiley

997.2 Turbo PDK is really a quick car, it will be interesting to see how it competes against the Italia. Smiley

@reginos: I guess I will drive between 4.000 and 5.000 km per year, the car is something like a weekend toy.

--

Great write up Stefan. I'm really glad you are enjoying the car and it sounds like it more than lives up to our expectations. The DCT box really is impressive as you say in both auto and manual modes. I've got used to the much improved build quality with my Cali and having now seen and sat in various 458s am happy to see that Ferrari have got this right now. My 430 spider was pretty well built as is my Scuderia but there are certain aspects of finish in the new models that give an impression of better quality.

I noticed the "Italian job" as you put it whilst at the factory watching a guy put the black sealant around the internal rear window in a 458. I thought I was bad when using sealant on tiles and floors etc but this guy had so much excess around the glass it was ridiculous When you see all the wiring and electrical components running around the inside of the cabin that are hidden by carpet and trim it's quite an eye opener.

How is the paint finish on your car? I saw a few cars on the production line that had orange peel on the top coat especially on the rear wings where the bodywork flows inward towards the rear spoiler.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688883 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408862 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255605 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234846 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65442 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4638 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857703 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773631 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM