Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

F430 as a daily drive?

Hi everyone, 

I wanted some insight from the F430 owners on the forum, I currently use a 911 C4S (997.2) PDK as a daily drive, and was considering changing the car for a F430.

My queries are mainly:

Whats the ferrari Sat nav like?

Whats the trunk space compared to a 911?

Motorway cruising?

Service intervals and cost?

Overall ownership experience, UK Ferrari service?

Reliability now on par with Porsche ?

Any input would be gladly appreciated, I assume the running costs will be higher, but just wanted some experienced individuals to shed some light on the above...

Thank you in advance

Nilesh

Re: F430 as a daily drive?

Costs = 2.5x

Just some quick thoughts:

• Nav-system is crap in the F430. Old ones are CD-based, newer ones are better, but still no TFT-screen, map etc.
    • Trunk space is superior to the 997, front boot has a capacity of about 220 litres (twice as much as the 911), behind the seats there is some additional space for small bags, jackets etc.
    • Cruising is nice, sound is not annoying, even at longer trips and higher speeds.
    • Costs already answered by SciFrog.

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Am about to get a 430 spider as a dd as well. How is the suspension on normal setting? Is it a lot harder than say a 997 turbo?

NO. It is quite comfortable to drive though the exhaust can become tedious at times.

FWIW, a daily driver 430 will have epic depreciation. Also, since rarely are these cars driven by owners over 15,000 miles, it is difficult to estimate maintenance cost especially after the warranty expires. 

--

- ride is fairly comfortable

-  cn be driven rather docile in auto mode

- becker based sat nav is crap nd ncient tech

- running cost far higher than 997

- not sure how it will hold up in the long run, they are garage queens really-

- do you want to put up with the ttention on  daily basis ? 911's are considered common nowadays and dont attract a 1/10th of the attention

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Thanks for the input, its a toss up between the 911 turbo or 2nd hand F430, or Gallardo. I have had plenty of drives in a turbo but little exposure to the Fez or Lambo.....

If you want a daily driver, the Turbo is far and away the better car. If you want a weekend of attention, fun and a lot of grinning, the 430 would be better suited. FWIW, MY 997.2 turbo would destroy the 430 in a race.  

--

nberry:

If you want a daily driver, the Turbo is far and away the better car. If you want a weekend of attention, fun and a lot of grinning, the 430 would be better suited. FWIW, MY 997.2 turbo would destroy the 430 in a race.  

Ok, where the real nick and what have you done to him ?!  Smiley

Nilesh we are in a very similar situation, only I already have a 997tt and have owned another 4.. The gallardo has even higher running costs than the ferrari. More like x2.5. The turbo will be a better car for what you want. The 430 is a lot more fun to drive at low speeds in london but also attracts attention. It is quite an experience (more like a theatrical performance lol!) to drive and I strongly recommend you have a testdrive before you decide.

Enmanuel:
    nberry:

Smiley

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

997 turbo is the best of both worlds.......997.2 turbo pdk is the best.......

--

Enmanuel:
    nberry:

Hahaha, I thought the same. Smiley

--

Rossi:
    Enmanuel:
    nberry:

Me too...Smiley

Nick's also calling it "HIS 999.2 turbo" now.... what does the wife think about that I wonder...Smiley

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

John H:
    Rossi:
    Enmanuel:
    nberry:

Me too...Smiley

Me as well. Porsche must certainly have done something right to get Nick to recommend a 911 over a FerrariSmiley.

I'm rubbing my eyes - can't believe what I'm reading - has someone got hold of Nick's RT user ID and password? Smiley Smiley

--

RT Moderator
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

I am guessing that Nick doesn't want specifically GT to get hold of a Ferrari...

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Owning most of those variations mentioned above. I would not recommend it. The Turbo is by far the best all rounder. If I were you, keep the Turbo and buy a Ferrari/Lambo for the weekeknds.

Maintenance will also be MUCH MUCH higher on the Italian cars as they don't have a motorplan like Porsche does.

Hahah! not the case guys considering I am about to buy a 430 spider! Ferrari has A LOT of shortcomings compared to turbos when it comes to pretty much all "objective" criteria - such as acceleration, traction, braking, cornering, usability, maintenance, reliability.

The above are facts and I ve lapped behind (only for a little bit lol!) numerous scuderias etc and I found out for myself all the above.. (also have it on video).

BUT when I test drove a mere F430 spider f1 I realized that all the above in a certain way are irrelevant as the ferrari is a completely different experience and UNIQUE in its own way. Not to mention that it looks like a piece of art and has huge presence. Everything seems to be designed to give the feeling of driving a racing car (and being a race driver yourself heheh!) while you maybe just doing 1st & 2nd gear accelerations on a empty stretch!

Hence I am trying to get my hands on one.. (Obviously all of the above are the own personal opinions and am sure others might strongly disagree.)

Mike S I am trying to get the 430 spider to use for a year until the MP12C comes out. Its hopefully going to be my first ferrari and in a year I am either going to sell my 740 hp 997 turbo or the spider to make space for the mclaren.. (hopefully)

Nilesh
    I currently use a 911 C4S (997.2) PDK as a daily drive, and was considering changing the car for a F430.

F430 as a daily drive Smiley

It's like expecting Monica Bellucci to do your washing and clean your house Smiley

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

nberry:

Two of the Webster's Dictionary definitions of "epiphany" are:
    "a usually sudden manifestation or perception of the essential nature or meaning of something",
    or
    "an intuitive grasp of reality through something (as an event) usually simple and striking".

So what cataclysmic event led to your personal epiphany, NIck? Smiley

--

fritz

My epiphany is directly related to real life experience. Ferrari is an exciting car to drive and for ten or so years I enjoyed the experience of Ferrari ownership. My prior experience with Porsche was good and I enjoyed tracking the cars. But I felt that there was more to the driving experience and certainly the Ferrari provided that.

Then came the 997.2 Turbo. When I drove it I was blown away with the completeness of the car. It is easy and comfortable to drive on public roads and does not draw too much attention though the Turbo designation on the rear does garner much respect.Smiley Then in those instances where you want to become the more sporting enthusiast, this car will rear up and perform as good if not better than most cars on the road including Ferrari on whatever venue you choose. I suspect the 997.2 Turbo with PDK will break the 7.40 mark at the Ring and yet in everyday driving it is so tame that my wife drives almost everyday (I swear it is HER carSmiley). With the Ferrari, she never drove it and honestly did not enjoy riding in it. Think about it, the other cars that break the 7.40mark on the Ring are hardcore race cars and not really suited for everyday driving like the Turbo. And yet, the Turbo delivers world class performance on sport car tracks.

The 997.2 PDK Turbo is a wonderful car and what it delivers for the money is beyond any other car on the road today. Bottom line is I have always live by one rule. If facts require a change in opinion or attitude don't fight but embrace them and move on.Smiley

--

nberry:

The 997.2 PDK Turbo is a wonderful car and what it delivers for the money is beyond any other car on the road today. Bottom line is I have always live by one rule. If facts require a change in opinion or attitude don't fight but embrace them and move on.Smiley 

That rule does represent a healthy attitude to life's changes which many others could usefully adopt.Smiley

I can't help thinking that, aside from your aversion to stickshift, even the 997.1 Turbo was a far better car than you ever realized, so you have been unnecessarily missing out on a wonderful car for several years, just because you didn't apply your rule sooner. Smiley

--

fritz

Nick I ve been saying this for years.. When I had the 996tt I test drove a 360 F1 back to back with its owner as passenger and the dynamics were so much superior in every way. (ok the 996tt was chipped but still..). Yet I could drive this to work and park it on the street. Everytime I ve driven another brand it only made me realize how good those cars are, and at that price!! I am curious what I will think after owning my first ferrari and driving it for a while.. (if it happens that is). I want to switch brands, I really do, but my recent effort with the Vantage roadster N400 was so traumatic (sold it in 3 weeks) that I am proceeding very cautiously!

fritz:
    nberry:

.... I have always live by one rule. If facts require a change in opinion or attitude don't fight but embrace them and move on.Smiley 

That rule does represent a healthy attitude to life's changes which many others could usefully adopt.Smiley

I can't help thinking that .... even the 997.1 Turbo was a far better car than you ever realized, so you have been unnecessarily missing out on a wonderful car for several years, just because you didn't apply your rule sooner. Smiley

Your guiding philosophy is immaculate Nick Smiley

But fritz's analysis of the consequences of the delay in your application of that philosophy IMO couldn't be more accurate Smiley

I think you just needed the introduction of PDK to the 997.2TT as a catalyst to prompt you to re-consider your previously held view. I'm pleased for you that this epiphany happened and, as they say, better late than never Smiley

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

NO doubt the PDK was the catalyst.My only criticism with the PDK is the paddles on the steering wheel. I just don't like them there. I believe they are better placed on the steering column.

I know this may sound strange but my thinking was that if Porsche is hesitant to change styling they probably were equally so in changing driving experience/dynamics. I just assume present day Porsche's drove like 996s. I had received the very first 996 Turbo Cab in San Diego but I sold it before driving it. Subsequently, I did test drive the 996 Turbo and did not think much of it. The 997.2 Turbo is a substantially improvement.

--

nberry:

My only criticism with the PDK is the paddles on the steering wheel. I just don't like them there. I believe they are better placed on the steering column.

Well, at least you now get paddles instead of puddles. Smiley

--

What is the world coming to?  Nick Berry has denounced Ferrari and embraced Porsche?  Lol.  Well done Nick, really like your outlook in life. 

for a ferrari daily driver, look at the california. faster than the f430, great nav system, double clutch that won't burn out like an f1 tranny on the 430, standard ceramic brakes and more comfortable than any porsche.Smiley

try it. you'll like it!Smiley

--
    2002 c4s lapis/metropol 2003 996 turbo arctic silver/black

ignacio:

for a ferrari daily driver, look at the california. faster than the f430, great nav system, double clutch that won't burn out like an f1 tranny on the 430, standard ceramic brakes and more comfortable than any porsche.Smiley

try it. you'll like it!Smiley

It's got cup holders too but no space for a child seat at the back, unfortunately.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689815 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409364 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255811 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235038 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65559 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4650 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858122 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774215 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM