Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2010 Australian F1 Grand Prix in Melbourne

Vettel on pole, Webber 2nd, Alonso 3rd. The Red Bulls have a slight advantage over the Ferraris on a single flying lap but it's close enough (less than 0.2s) In race conditions the Ferrari might just be the better race car. One thing's for sure, it's very close at the top.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Lewis Hamilton fails to reach Q3, qualifies in 11th place. After getting into trouble with the Melbourne Police, he badly needs to get his head together 

Red Bull was just too fast - the only other guy in the same contest was Alonso. 4th place and below were so far behind.

Well done to Button for coolly and calmly outperforming Hamilton.

Rosberg outqualifies Schumi again ...

Webber must be really disappointed to be outqualified by Vettel again ...

This is a Red Bull vs Ferrari season  The rest are just playing catch up 

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

easy_rider911:

This is a Red Bull vs Ferrari season  The rest are just playing catch up 

I have to agree. I reckon that Ferrari, with it's vast resources and more powerful engine might have an advantage on the in season development stakes. If Red Bull though keeps developing at the same rate as the Prancing Horse, 2010 will be a vintage year.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Bravo Vettel  He is the best driver , and has been for the last year

Schumi still behind Rosberg, but he does well regarding his lack of driving.....he will get better !

Alonso is the other contender...

The new teams are a big problem in Q1. They are way too slow and mess up the qualifications.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

And to think that just yesterday Hamilton was claiming that McLaren was aiming for a 1-2 finish - sounds laughable now - 

www.planetf1.com/news/18227/6055952/Hamilton-targets-McLaren-1-2

Stopped by Police for spinning his wheels on the public roads - seems like his world changes from one day to the next - how can anyone seriously mount a challenge for the F1 Driver's Title when they have insufficient focus on the task at hand ? 

Vettel and Alonso are living, breathing, eating, sleeping F1 - they have 100% focus. Hamilton appears mentally all over the place.

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

If a driver like Webber is able to get second place in the grid then that means the Red Bull is very fast, faster than we thought, at least over one lap, so its no surprise that Vettel repeats pole with that car. Question is will they have a faster race pace than the Ferraris...

First corner will be interesting, Webber is very "accident prone" to put it nicely and the fact that he is starting in 2nd place is a danger to the faster drivers behind him, especially Alonso, the rival of RedBull, he may very well be crashed out by Webber trying to pass him on the first lap, the team won't hold it against him .

And if Alonso doesn't try to pass him and plays it safe, Webber is going to slow down all the cars behind him, and Vettel will be allowed to scape and put a lot of distance between his competitors. You can tell Alonso is breathing down Vettels neck and is focused on not letting Vettel get away, because of the speed of RedBulls car he views him as his only competitor, but inspite of being the only one in managing to stay with the RedBulls, things do not look good at all for Alonso in this race with Webber in between him and Vettel in the grid. Unless he manages to pass Webber without getting taken out of the race in the attempt, its going to be a boring race, everybody stuck behind Webber in a parade while Vettel simply cruises to the finish line

What I don't understand is the big gap between Alonso in 3rd and the rest. Especially Massa with same car and fuel was a full 0.8sec slower than Alonso, something must of happened because that is too big a difference. And Hamilton repeats history, one good performance, one poor performance, ond good, one bad... he is like Kimi, he can be fast but he is inconsistent, makes errors, looses focus, etc. many drivers can be fast, but only the "champions" are consistent and focused.

Personally I think Alonso is going to play it safe and will stay away from Webber, he cannot risk a no finish, and even if he gest stuck behind Webber in the first stint, many things can happen along the race in this track still, every year we see a safety car here, and even with a second place he will still lead the championship.

According to Marc Gene, Ferrari team is hoping for a hot day tomorrow so that there is more tire degradation, I guess they feel the RedBull degrades tires worse than the Ferrari and that will give them an advantage. BUt forecas in F1 page says rain...

--

Carlos, you may want to post your Alonso single view novells in a separate thread for that "low fruit picker"...that thread was more meant on Formula 1 and the current G.P. in specific. We have 18 races in front of us...driver performance will change as well as teams/cars speed. The fight for the title is long and not decided after a few races.

kashmir:
    Carlos, you may want to post your Alonso single view novells in a separate thread for that "low fruit picker"...that thread was more meant on Formula 1 and the current G.P. in specific. We have 18 races in front of us...driver performance will change as well as teams/cars speed. The fight for the title is long and not decided after a few races.

kashmir, if you can't read diverse opinions then don't open the thread. Your participations here seem to be limited to criticizing anyone that says anything about Alonso, and offer nothing else in arguments or content to the members. Unless you have an opinion or information to share on the RACE, don't trash this thread with your comments, there are plenty other forums for that behaviour.

--

Guys, be aware that this is a F1 FAN thread. Not some serious news site where everything needs to be objective and balanced.

What fun is sport if you cannot root for a team? I heavily root for Vettel!

Right, we are on the same page... I want to read about F1 and the Race, and different point of views to that. You just use the thread to glorify Alonso, which should be done at a different place IMO. Vice versa I gave a second view to Alonso, which is obviously shared by many other followers of that forum. To be clear... I think Alonso is very fast and an excellent overall F1 driver, with his strengths in the race ("reading the race"). Though I think the past showed his limts, and I doubt that these limitations had be a one off. I compare him to Prost...if one comes who is simply faster on track with good overall tactical and race skills, he gets in trouble to adopt to this. Anyway let's end it here...and look forward to the race and season. Good luck to all drivers! ...hopefully we can enjoy an exciting race.

Eunice:I heavily root for Vettel!

Vettel fan are you now... uptosomething.gif

DeNiro2.gif

SmileySmileySmiley

Being serious, Vettel is actually my second favorite driver but not this season, he has been since two seasons ago already, when he started to show flashes of his talent, he didn't have a car to be competing with the top, but you could see this he had the potential to be a Schumy or Alonso in the future. His problem in the past was that he tended to make some mistakes when in the heat of the race in past GP's but he is very young and the impulsiveness was normal, he is only 23 yrs old! and only on his third full season in F1. This year he lookes much more focused and he has good car, so so far it looks like its between him and Alonso. I preffer Alonso, but if its not Alonso then I hope Vettel gets it.

--

kashmir:
    Right, we are on the same page... I want to read about F1 and the Race, and different point of views to that. You just use the thread to glorify Alonso, which should be done at a different place IMO. Vice versa I gave a second view to Alonso, which is obviously shared by many other followers of that forum. To be clear... I think Alonso is very fast and an excellent overall F1 driver, with his strengths in the race ("reading the race"). Though I think the past showed his limts, and I doubt that these limitations had be a one off. I compare him to Prost...if one comes who is simply faster on track with good overall tactical and race skills, he gets in trouble to adopt to this. Anyway let's end it here...and look forward to the race and season. Good luck to all drivers! ...hopefully we can enjoy an exciting race.

well, if in your own mind what you saw in my last post was "Alonso glorification" then you are going to have to deal with it because its you problem, not mine. You will hear many opinions on drivers here, many favorable to Alonso, and many members will also be rooting for their drivers. You will have to accept that instead of criticizing other member's preferences, and offer your own views and opinions in turn like everybody else, and can even root for your driver/s while keeping it cordial and respectful to the members and the drivers. That is what is expected here.

Personally, I'm praying for rain to make an appearance in the middle of the race to mix things up a bit, otherwise I fear it will be another parade like in Bahrain.

--

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2010/3/10583.html

Seems Massa's problem in qualifying today was that he struggled to generate sufficient temp on the tires:

Felipe Massa (5th, Q3 - 1m 24.837s)
    "Not the qualifying I was expecting, going into this Grand Prix. Ever since the temperature dropped, I have always struggled to find the best way of getting the tyres up to temperature, while yesterday morning for example, when it was hotter, the situation was much better. With today's temperatures, I had no grip, which is not particularly encouraging. Let's hope it's a bit warmer tomorrow. In FP3 I really found it difficult, but come the end of qualifying I still managed to get a reasonable result. It's definitely not ideal in terms of looking for a win, but all the same, I will try and bring home a good number of points. This race is very tough, partly because, as we have often seen in the past, anything can happen here."

Hamilton blamed the McLaren's setup yet Button was able to get 4th place

Lewis Hamilton (11th, Q2 - 1m 25.184s)
    “Today was a surprise - I wasn’t expecting to be out in Q2. I felt I got as much as I could out of the car, but I just couldn’t get the grip from the tyres. On my first run in Q2, I was held up by traffic, so I wasn’t able to do a quick lap. I pitted early, got a clear lap, but still struggled to find time in the final sector - even with new tyres. I don’t know what the reason for that was. So I didn’t have a great day, but it’s encouraging to see Jenson doing such a good job. Hopefully, we’ll both have a good race tomorrow.”

Rosberg hinting that his car is faster than what the qualifying leads to believe and his time was due to driver mistakes, so maybe he will be competitive in the actual race

Nico Rosberg (6th, Q3 - 1m 24.884s)
    "It was a disappointing qualifying today as I had made really good progress during practice with my engineers but didn't do the best job when it mattered. I made a couple of mistakes on my best lap on the option tyres which cost me three or four tenths. There was more in the car today so it's always frustrating when you don't get the most out of it. It's not typical for me to make such mistakes in qualifying. But that's the way it goes sometimes and sixth position is still a good place to start. We should be stronger in the race and anything can happen tomorrow."

Schumacher instead blames the traffic, the car, etc and that this is about as much as you can extract from the car for the moment  Smiley

Michael Schumacher (7th, Q3 - 1m 24.927s)
    "We had a reasonable qualifying session today and I am ok with the outcome even if I was a bit handicapped by traffic, especially on my final quick lap. We made some changes with the car after practice this morning which did not work out perfectly. But in general I would guess the ranking that we see now reflects the situation well and our performance is probably the maximum for our car at the moment. Anyhow, we still have a lot in hand for tomorrow's race, and I am on the clean side of the grid for the start. As we all know, a lot can happen over the course of a race."

--

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82459

The mind games have begun.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Interesting reginos, I think the pressure he was with what everybody expects of him and fustration given his performance in his return is getting to him.

--

Carlos from Spain:

... the pressure ....[of] what everybody expects of him and frustration given his performance in his return is getting to him.

+1 Smiley

--

GO VETTEL!!! 

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 
    2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd 2.0L 136 hp (120lb-ft) CD silver on grey (sold)
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd 2.5L 150 hp (168lb-ft) champagne gold on grown leather. (sold)

easy_rider911:
    Carlos from Spain:

... the pressure ....[of] what everybody expects of him and frustration given his performance in his return is getting to him.

+1 Smiley

Schumacher's predicament is that even if he were right with some of his complaints, no one would believe him. Everybody would attribute those to the above motives.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

I wonder how long Schumacher will want to drive in the mid-field. He will get angry there sooner or later, but will it boost his motivation or will he just be frustrated? Today shows it could be the latter, but it's clearly too early to tell. He's a pro after all, he can keep his emotions in check.

Schumi and RB are very creative individuals and love the challenges associated with going to the top. They will do so again, with experience, brains and hard work. This is what signified Schumi over others, because he essentially built Ferrari. I am confident he is a little frustrated right now, but he has nothing much to lose, has come back because of pure love for the sport and will find his way.

The only other person i see being as focused and enthusiastic while also working with the team is Vettel, who openly admitted that MS is his role model! Alonso, JB, LH do NOT have such attributes im sorry.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd 2.5L 150 hp (168lb-ft) champagne gold on grown leather. (sold)

+1 Atzporsche. 

Go Button, at 0.8 secs behind the field leader, he is going to have to rely on fart power..How can he be happy with 4th being so much slower Vettel ..?..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

Button bonned your girl then throt?

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

LOL ... 'fart power' ... love it  

--

Thoma:

http://planetf1.com/news/3213/6056872/McLaren-Question-Red-Bull-s-Legality

Wow.

Let's see how this plays out, there's also the problem with the development stop to the engines that could become an issue this season. The teams are testing their cages.

wow. This is just another rumor, yet likely not going to get any changes done. Like this guys' comments:

Odd how the big teams insist on being able to spend obscene amounts of money on their programs, but then complain the first time someone gets creative. How do you frame the rules to create a spec series where everyone is able to design their own car from scratch? Hopefully Todt will sit the teams down, explain that he's tired of the constant complaining and then give the teams more freedom in their designs and strategies.

--

RedBull definately has something up their sleeve, but that it's ilegal is another matter, McLaren should be the last to complain about rule interpretations. As far as I'm concerned, unless its clear cut cheating like Bar-Honda's fuel tank scandal, they should allow some room for creativeness and inventiveness in F1, kudos to RedBull for being creative with the rule book, thats racing, and thats what gave Honda the championship last year. I don't see any big deal, its the same thing every year, ride dampners, diffusers, wheel caps, etc.

--

Lewis has sacked his father, Anthony Hamilton, as his manager and then proceeds to act like a little boy, both on and off the track!! 

There's a moral here somewhere...

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

It's raining out here at the moment, 2:30 from the race. Hope it keeps raining even if it means we all get wet sitting here! :)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690137 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409534 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255877 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235113 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65611 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858280 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774455 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM