Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Paddle Steering Wheel Retrofitted

reginos:
    Gnil:
    reginos:
    Gnil:

My dealer can' t give any price for this retrofit

On www.porsche.de the German price given for the part above is 940,10 € including 19% tax. It will be something similar in CH. Labour was about 1.5 hours.

Thanks. I was not tempted to do this change at first , as I got used to the puddles ( even if I think  paddle are way better ) , but , like you I do not like the shape of the button steering wheel. The thickness at 09: 15 is weird  and not comfortable at all. Never got used to that. I also did not want to fall into the retrofit trap and add more $ on my Carrera S . Enough has already been spent on that car. It get ridiculous. And if I do find a customer for my car that gives me a good price I will sell it.

But...... I will probably go for it anyway....

95% of the inducement to do this retrofit was due to the weird shape of the original wheel not so much the paddles vs. buttons. Bearing in mind that I had done more expensive retrofits over the past year (Sport exhaust and Black wheels) this 900 Euro expenditure was definitely worth it.

Unlike you I intend to keep the car for a long time. If I become able to allocate money for cars I'd rather change our older Mercedes ML 320 for a smaller and better SUV. My favourite is the Q5 2.0 TFSI but with the necessary extras it works out expensive for a daily/family car.

I am currently selling my mother's ML 320   http://www.anibis.ch/n/3275197
    as she ordered the X1. The Q5 was also on her list but too big for her needs and looked too ' conventional' for her taste.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:
    reginos:
    Gnil:
    reginos:
    Gnil:

On www.porsche.de the German price given for the part above is 940,10 € including 19% tax. It will be something similar in CH. Labour was about 1.5 hours.

Thanks. I was not tempted to do this change at first , as I got used to the puddles ( even if I think  paddle are way better ) , but , like you I do not like the shape of the button steering wheel. The thickness at 09: 15 is weird  and not comfortable at all. Never got used to that. I also did not want to fall into the retrofit trap and add more $ on my Carrera S . Enough has already been spent on that car. It get ridiculous. And if I do find a customer for my car that gives me a good price I will sell it.

But...... I will probably go for it anyway....

95% of the inducement to do this retrofit was due to the weird shape of the original wheel not so much the paddles vs. buttons. Bearing in mind that I had done more expensive retrofits over the past year (Sport exhaust and Black wheels) this 900 Euro expenditure was definitely worth it.

Unlike you I intend to keep the car for a long time. If I become able to allocate money for cars I'd rather change our older Mercedes ML 320 for a smaller and better SUV. My favourite is the Q5 2.0 TFSI but with the necessary extras it works out expensive for a daily/family car.

I am currently selling my mother's ML 320   http://www.anibis.ch/n/3275197
    as she ordered the X1. The Q5 was also on her list but too big for her needs and looked too ' conventional' for her taste.

I was disappointed by the interior materials of the X1. The hard plastic looks downmarket.

Also it starts cheap but once you add 4WD and Automatic it rises. But I like its concept.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Just spoke to my OPC -

1st shock - the guy who sold me the Carrera has left the company, so now I have no contacts in the sales dept.

2nd shock - they just launched the Turbo last Thursday in this market

3rd shock - I WASN'T INVITED TO THE LAUNCH!!!  (probably because of the 1st shock, and now I'm just a number in the Porsche archives)

Due to the above, the person I spoke to was totally impersonal, and told me that I need to contact the parts department, and that too after a few months when they start getting the st. wheels as spares for the Turbo.

So I guess I'll just wait.... 

--

Did you try the wheel on a Turbo in the showroom?

--

I didn't go to the showroom.  Just called them up.  Anyway, the Turbo has not yet hit the showroom, and the ones they have are being run-in for future test drives (most of which would have been booked at the launch )

So even to see the new Turbo, I'd have to wait for at least a week or 2. 

--

4trac:

Anyone know if this retrofit can also be done on a Cayman/Boxster PDK?  (I believe it uses the same PDK buttons wheel as the 997).

It seems so

PDKSTEERINGWHEEL22.jpg

--

Very nice - congrats reginos

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

reginos:
    Gnil:

Here they still can't give me the price of the part , but the official labour time to ddo the job is 0.8

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

I have ordered the new steering wheel. Will put it on , on th e20th of March, at the same time as I will do my 30'000 km service.

Cost  with installations : about CHF 1600.-  ( Euro  1093.- )

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

I have ordered the new steering wheel. Will put it on , on th e20th of March, at the same time as I will do my 30'000 km service.

Cost  with installations : about CHF 1600.-  ( Euro  1093.- )

Wise decision, you will enjoy the car more. Cost similar to what I've paid.

--

Do you miss your old steering wheel ?  You used to be one of it's strongest defender

How much more do you use the paddles ? Have you got a better ' race' feeling ? More envolving ?

I'm getting the new one on monday. Quite exited about it !

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

To be honest with you, I don't miss the old steering wheel at all. The shape and feel of the new one is totally superior as well as the materials. Your hands/fingers rest at the right places and you can turn the wheel with more ease and accuracy.

The paddles are easier and more natural to use in Manual mode but when the wheel is turned more then 90 degrees say, it was easier to use the buttons because of +/- on both sides. I know they say you shouldn't change gear in mid corner but we all do.That's possibly the only advantage of the buttons IMO.

By coincidence today there was a Porsche Roadshow and had the chance to drive a Panamera S with the standard steering wheel for some kilometers. After I got in my car I was sure that the new wheel is definitely an upgrade.

I know I was a defender of standard wheel but  I can now say "Mea Culpa".

I'll be waiting for your impressions too!

--

Good !! I am now even looking more for the new one !!

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

reginos:

To be honest with you, I don't miss the old steering wheel at all. The shape and feel of the new one is totally superior as well as the materials. Your hands/fingers rest at the right places and you can turn the wheel with more ease and accuracy.

The paddles are easier and more natural to use in Manual mode but when the wheel is turned more then 90 degrees say, it was easier to use the buttons because of +/- on both sides. I know they say you shouldn't change gear in mid corner but we all do.That's possibly the only advantage of the buttons IMO.

By coincidence today there was a Porsche Roadshow and had the chance to drive a Panamera S with the standard steering wheel for some kilometers. After I got in my car I was sure that the new wheel is definitely an upgrade.

I know a big part of the reason why you changed the steering wheel was because you liked the thickness of the new wheel much better, but now that you have driven both on a regular basis, do you also like the paddles themselves better than the buttons for shifting overall as well?

--

Carlos from Spain:
    reginos:

I know a big part of the reason why you changed the steering wheel was because you liked the thickness of the new wheel much better, but now that you have driven both on a regular basis, do you also like the paddles themselves better than the buttons for shifting overall as well?

Yes to that too. Except when the wheel is turned more than 1/4 turn the buttons on both sides are more handy for changing up or down.

--

Thanks for the input

--

reginos:
    Carlos from Spain:
    reginos:

Yes to that too. Except when the wheel is turned more than 1/4 turn the buttons on both sides are more handy for changing up or down.

Which is why the paddles should be fixed on the column...

reginos:

That is a major advantage of the redundant push/pull buttons. I continue to prefer the original Porsche wheel. Being different from the crowd is not a bad thing. :)

Quality-wise I doubt the paddle wheel leather is any better than my soft natural leather.

--

A. Dias --- 997.2S. Previous cars: Corvette C6,  996 C4.

SciFrog:

Except that when one's hands are crossed that does not help either and the redundant buttons do. Porsche buttons are better. Smiley

--

A. Dias --- 997.2S. Previous cars: Corvette C6,  996 C4.

ADias:
    reginos:

That is a major advantage of the redundant push/pull buttons. I continue to prefer the original Porsche wheel. Being different from the crowd is not a bad thing. :)

Quality-wise I doubt the paddle wheel leather is any better than my soft natural leather.

The material used on the rim is exactly the same soft leather as on the original PDK wheel. But instead of the grey plastic centre and the plastic buttons you get galvanised spokes and nice alloy paddles. It makes a better quality impression and it feels more pleasant and upmarket.

--

ADias:
    reginos:

This is a plus for buttons as I pointed out. However, on the downside when on winding routes that involve a lot of steering maneuvers, you can easily push the buttons accidentally because of their position next to the thumps and go unwittingly a gear up.

--

SciFrog:

I agree. Paddles should be on the column. Will it come in the next generation ? Not sure as on the 918 Spyder they are also on the steering wheel Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:
    SciFrog:

I agree. Paddles should be on the column. Will it come in the next generation ? Not sure as on the 918 Spyder they are also on the steering wheel Smiley

I cannot see the advantage Smiley.

If the wheel is turned more than 1/4, still you would be able to easily reach the fixed paddles at the horizontal level. At least with moving paddles they are always closer to your hand.

I envisage that fixed paddles are useful if the turns of the steering wheel from lock to lock is very limited, so your hands don't have to move beyond a certain point.

--

Gnil:
    SciFrog:

I think we will never see column fixed paddles from Porsche. That would be just too much Ferrari. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

reginos:
    ADias:
    reginos:

The material used on the rim is exactly the same soft leather as on the original PDK wheel. But instead of the grey plastic centre and the plastic buttons you get galvanised spokes and nice alloy paddles. It makes a better quality impression and it feels more pleasant and upmarket.

Agreed. The new steering wheel gives a whole new impression in the interior, IMO it gives exactly that, what was missing in the 997 cabin. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

reginos:
    Gnil:
    SciFrog:

If the wheel is turned more than 1/4, still you would be able to easily reach the fixed paddles at the horizontal level. At least with moving paddles they are always closer to your hand.

I envisage that fixed paddles are useful if the turns of the steering wheel from lock to lock is very limited, so your hands don't have to move beyond a certain point.

With fixed paddles you always know exactly where they are . Even if you need to move your hand , at least you know where to hit to change gear, in any situation.

With moving ones it is better when you turn slightly ,a s they are withing finger tip reach, but in a hair pin, you can easily loose where they are .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Rossi:
    Gnil:
    SciFrog:

I think we will never see column fixed paddles from Porsche. That would be just too much Ferrari. Smiley

Do you think their sick pride is as  strong as that Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:
    reginos:
    Gnil:
    SciFrog:

With fixed paddles you always know exactly where they are . Even if you need to move your hand , at least you know where to hit to change gear, in any situation.

With moving ones it is better when you turn slightly ,a s they are withing finger tip reach, but in a hair pin, you can easily loose where they are .

Doesn't the effectiveness of fixed paddles depend a lot on how low or high-geared the steering rack is? If I'm not wrong the Ferrari steering has less turns from one end to the other (the car turns the same with relatively less lock applied)  so this helps the fixed position paddles to be more useful than on a car with more turns from one side to the other Smiley

--

I have my new steering wheel and it looks great. A big improvement in looks, that is for sure.

The new steering wheel is thicker then the regular one ( exactly like the sports steering wheel from the 997.1 version )

I do find the paddles a bit too close to the steering wheel as the tip of my fingers get caught between the paddles and the wheel. Not very nice, but I'll get used to it and find a way around it.

The paddles are deffinitly much more natural to use and don't feel so artificial as the buttons. I do use them much more and do not have to think how to use them, which was not the case witht he buttons at the beginning.

Reginos : do you have anything that comes on the new steering display ? ( On mine it does not write the mode ( sports ) Is that normal or did they not do a proper job ? ( it s not that I like or need this unnessery display, but would still like to know... )

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Thats good news Gnil, post some pics please 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    755549 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431704 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258894 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255964 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79952 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5266 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

869006 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    803106 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM