Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster - 987 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Boxster Spyder

Ok I know this should probably be in the Porsche Boxster section, but I know many here don't read that section of the board and I want to know your opinions and help with your knowledge.

Anyway, I was smitten by the idea of the Boxster Spyder and ordered one last week, with delivery in June/July.  I love the idea of a lighter, more powerful Boxster with harder core suspension and LSD, carbon fibre seats, light wheels, more powerful engine and barely there roof.  And I would be lying if I say the looks had nothing to do with it.  Love that twin dome!  What do you guys think of this car?  Also, I was reading the literature from Porsche the other day and noted that this car is 7 secs faster than the Boxster S at the Ring.  What I am interested to know is the Sportauto time for Boxster S and Cayman S at the Ring and Hokenheim.  Anyone know?

Re: Boxster Spyder

Cayman S:

NBR 8.17 min

H'heim 1.14,2 min

The Boxster S times are from 04/2006 so I'm not sure what engine version was then

NBR 8.23 min

H'heim 1.16,2 min

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Sport-Auto Supertest  (12/2009) with both cars

Cayman S

NBR 8.17min

Hockenheim 1.14,2

Boxster S

NBR 8.18

Hockenheim 1.15,0

both cars very well equipped (PDK, LSD ...) 

Thanks guys. Very interesting that there is only 1 second separating the two at the Ring given that it isn't as stiff and is down on power. Is there weight information as well on the test? Porsche claims that the Spyder is 7 seconds faster than the Boxster S at Nurburgring, but I wonder how it compares to the Cayman S at Hokenheim given it's quite a bit lighter and lower with the same engine.

Cayman/Boxster 1458/1447kg with full fuel

Way....are you going to track the Spyder? I reckon your BMW 135i with all the mods will blitz it! Maybe the Spyder could be a good collectors edition....for your son!

Haha John, it will be another 16 years before he can drive legally, and even then he won't be allowed to drive this for another 3 years after due to license restriction they have these days for young kids.  But I see your point though.  It's a classic in the making so may be worth keeping it in good condition.

And yes, my 135i will be faster than this thing.  But I am not sure if chasing laptimes interest me anymore.  I mean, I should be buying a Radical if I want a fast time right?  Besides, I can enter the Spyder in stock categories and have a chance to win them outright for things like Dutton, but with the 135i I will always be in the club sport section against all those crazily modded EVOs etc.  Not a chance for outright win there!

I agree Wayne. I'm over racing cars. To win, you normally need the latest model and loads of free time to develop the car. I'm now just enjoying the occasional track day, and beating the clock.

Though....when i have kids...they will have a very nice race car collection to play with!

Itsme:

Cayman/Boxster 1458/1447kg with full fuel

Didn't know the Cayman weighs more than the Boxster!  I have a feeling the Spyder will be quite fast around Hokenheim...

jcparki:

I agree Wayne. I'm over racing cars. To win, you normally need the latest model and loads of free time to develop the car. I'm now just enjoying the occasional track day, and beating the clock.

Though....when i have kids...they will have a very nice race car collection to play with!

Don't get me wrong, I still like my car to be able to do quick laptimes, which means you won't see me buying a MX-5 for the track anytime soon lol.  And I will always be interested to see how my car compare to others on the track even if it's just theoretical which is why I was asking about the times posted for Cayman S and Boxster S. 

Hey you think you will keep your 997S forever?  I think I need to buy a warehouse so I CAN keep cars for a long time. :)

Will i keep the 997S forever - sure, unless i move to Utah and have more than 3 wives! ;-)

I find the 997S a great day-to-day car. The Aston is just a pain in traffic - everyone wants to look at it. I'll be keeping both for a long time, and when i have a family....oneday....will also get a fast wagon. Also the AM cyget looks cool. Would seriosly consider one. Have you heard from our AM dealer if they are taking orders?

MX5 on the track - i used to beat WRX/Evos etc. round phillip island in my bog standard mx5! The car is only a part of the lap time equation!!! I remember once lapping Bathurst in a 944 Cup car faster than the 996 911 Cup car!

WAY:

Ok I know this should probably be in the Porsche Boxster section, but I know many here don't read that section of the board and I want to know your opinions and help with your knowledge.

Anyway, I was smitten by the idea of the Boxster Spyder and ordered one last week, with delivery in June/July.  I love the idea of a lighter, more powerful Boxster with harder core suspension and LSD, carbon fibre seats, light wheels, more powerful engine and barely there roof.  And I would be lying if I say the looks had nothing to do with it.  Love that twin dome!  What do you guys think of this car?  Also, I was reading the literature from Porsche the other day and noted that this car is 7 secs faster than the Boxster S at the Ring.  What I am interested to know is the Sportauto time for Boxster S and Cayman S at the Ring and Hokenheim.  Anyone know?

I've seen the car for real in Geneva for the first time!!! Gorgous! I think you do a very good thing to buy it!!!

--
    ALL PORSCHE ARE REAL PORSCHE!!!

Thanks ed_moree!  I agree, they are stunning cars!  I had the privilege of seeing one in person myself just 4 days ago as Porsche Australia had a car for evaluation purposes.  It is just stunning!  It's funny how a few simple modification can make a car look so much better!  Love everything about it and can't wait till I pick it up.  Reviews have all been fantastic as well!

Very Good Wayne!!  Did they let you drive it or are you still drooling in anticipation?

No drive allowed. :(  But I go to sat in it and played around with it.

WAY:

No drive allowed. :(  But I go to sat in it and played around with it.

Smiley  When do you get to REALLY play with it?? Smiley

I just read what I wrote.  Have to wonder about my English sometimes. 

I got to play with every button, knobs etc, but they wouldn't give me the key haha.  I am hoping to get to drive one some time next month.  My own car won't arrive till June/July.

Just a thought, Way, with your young son, do you realise you can't use child seats with the sport buckets fitted as standard to the Spyder?

--
    Boxster S 3.4 06 Cobalt / Ocean Blue (Zuffenhausen collection)  BMW 123d M Sport 08 Le Mans Blue / Lemon

Yeah I do know that.  Although he was sitting in the driver and passenger seat at the dealership and having a jolly good time.  I see this car like one of my motorbikes.  It's really just for me.  But who knows, if I really like it I will keep it forever and it may become his one day.

great choice way, its a lovely car.. go for it

--

2010 Ferrari 458 Italia (April)

2009 nissan GTR

2007 BMW M5

Have a look at this video.  What is the bet I end up just buying a car cover and leaving the roof off permanently?

Hmm, not sure about guards red and certainly not sure about those wheels.  I am guessing those are 18 inch winter wheels as the standard wheels on these cars are 19 inches lightweight variety.

Just a small thing but I think they should have named it "987 Spyder". It trips off the tongue more easily than "Boxster Spyder"

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

easy_rider911:

Just a small thing but I think they should have named it "987 Spyder". It trips off the tongue more easily than "Boxster Spyder"

Why not just Spyder?  Sounds nicer too.  But I guess they wanted to use that on the 918 Spyder and RS Spyder too!  Perhaps Spyder will be their open-top sporty range from now on?

WAY:

Have a look at this video.  What is the bet I end up just buying a car cover and leaving the roof off permanently?

Holy crap, that doesn't look like German engineering to me Smiley

I'm with you on that one!

Well, at least you know that it can be removed and reinstalled in 5:22 minutes Smiley

--

Slow In, Fast Out

I find the system very well thought out for a totally removable top which on the other hand offers more than basic protection.

Also 2 1/2 minutes each way is a very short time bearing in mind that the man in the video is doing it without assistance and rather slowly for demontration purposes.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

FFaust:

Holy crap, that doesn't look like German engineering to me Smiley

No disrespect to anyone buying this car, but that roof mechanism is a total joke IMO. I would never consider any convertible that doesn't involve just pressing one button Smiley

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

A nice compromise in my opinion would have been a lighter-weight version of the current roof.  They could have stripped all the electrics and motors out to save weight and left something like the the old manual Karmann roofs.  Just lift the back, unclip the header bow and drop the whole thing back into the recess.  Practical and lighter, but not 'special' I guess.

--

2007 987S, KW v3 1964 Type 1

DaveGordon:

A nice compromise in my opinion would have been a lighter-weight version of the current roof.  They could have stripped all the electrics and motors out to save weight and left something like the the old manual Karmann roofs.  Just lift the back, unclip the header bow and drop the whole thing back into the recess.  Practical and lighter, but not 'special' I guess.

That is what I would have expected. This one indeed does the job but it just seems a bit too convoluted and with some extra detachable pieces.

Don't get me wrong, I think that it looks sharp... just not simple and efficient. Smiley

I love this car and would buy one, but it would be a hassle to park it at the office with the roof off, and have to keep a constant eye on the weather... just in case.

--

Slow In, Fast Out

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689513 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409199 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255721 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234975 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65522 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4645 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857947 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773998 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM