Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Audi RS5 in Geneva

Does anyone have an idea why Audi went through the pain of developing this new engine derived from the V10 instead of just tuning the V8? I'm sure they could have gotten the extra 30 hp out of the S5 engine...

Maybe this new engine will be the basis for a new biturbo engine series (ie to replace the 5.0-5.2L V10 in aspirated and charged form)? That strategy would mirror the BMW strategy.

So let's speculate, it just doesnt make sense for them to develop a one off for the RS5...

--

turbolite

turbolite:

Does anyone have an idea why Audi went through the pain of developing this new engine derived from the V10 instead of just tuning the V8? I'm sure they could have gotten the extra 30 hp out of the S5 engine...

Maybe this new engine will be the basis for a new biturbo engine series (ie to replace the 5.0-5.2L V10 in aspirated and charged form)? That strategy would mirror the BMW strategy.

So let's speculate, it just doesnt make sense for them to develop a one off for the RS5...

Hmm...

RS5 engine is extensive further development of old RS4 engine. It is the LAST HDZ(true high reving) NA engine from Audi. V10 development ends with R8 GT-read a thread about it.

New 4.0TFSI with 394ps is ready and will be introduced in new S7.

Also, I know what engine will be in next gen of R8...SmileySmileySmiley Think more impressive engine then the one in Mclaren MP4-12C...SmileySmiley

KresoF1:

Hmm...

RS5 engine is extensive further development of old RS4 engine. It is the LAST HDZ(true high reving) NA engine from Audi. V10 development ends with R8 GT-read a thread about it.

Also, I know what engine will be in next gen of R8...SmileySmileySmiley Think more impressive engine then the one in Mclaren MP4-12C...SmileySmiley

Well well, that makes it even more mysterious... . If this RS engine is not connected to the new R8 engine you mention (tell us, what ist it??) there must be another reason for its (re)development. Maybe they needed to find ways to mate it to the DSG transmission...

--

turbolite

KresoF1:

So... the successor for the current R8 is finally assured?

I was hoping VW would spend its R&D resources on future Porsches instead 

palenimbus:

I was hoping VW would spend its R&D resources on future Porsches instead 

AUDI is the biggest money maker for VW right now.

--
    Happy Driving

KresoF1:
    janus:

Hmmm... Why haven't they but a flat bottom steering wheel in it! This looks to normal.

I mean you can get it in A3, for god sake!

Did you drove an Audi with flat bottom steering wheel(R8, RS6, TTS for example)?

No?

IMHO flat bottom steering wheel is ONLY nice to look at. Total pain in the ass for parking. Same thing for driving on very curvy road a la Gorski Kotar...

Why do you think Porsche never offered flat bottom steering wheel? Because it is IMHO an option for 18 year old kid-that's it.

New RS5 steering wheel is round(Thank God!) and smaller in size the S5 steering wheel for example.

Actually, I like the flat bottom steering wheel I have in My Audi TTS, and very much like it.

I don't feel like 18-year old boy. But each to his own

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Ibis

07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

I hope that Audi show this sports interior in the RS5 at Geneva...

2010-Audi-RS5_Sports-Interior.jpg

...the alcantara steering-wheel, gear-stick and dual-colour sports seats look awesome!

Smiley SmileySmiley

Boxster Coupe GTS:

...the alcantara steering-wheel, gear-stick and dual-colour sports seats look awesome!

Smiley SmileySmiley

Have you ever seen an  alcantara steering wheel after a couple years.? I've seen a few on GT3s.  Think dirty rag . Very slippery by then also. There have been some  owners who had to wear gloves all the time to keep it from getting worse and there are several  aftermarket alcantara " re-wrap " companies  to service this problem.

Some owners say theirs look like new , but factor in local humidity, ambient temps/sunlight / how sweaty a person your are behind the wheel , hand lotion/sun tan lotion use etc and YMMV.

MKW:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

Smiley SmileySmiley

Have you ever seen an  alcantara steering wheel after a couple years.? I've seen a few on GT3s.  Think dirty rag . Very slippery by then also. There have been some  owners who had to wear gloves all the time to keep it from getting worse and there are several  aftermarket alcantara " re-wrap " companies  to service this problem.

Some owners say theirs look like new , but factor in local humidity, ambient temps/sunlight / how sweaty a person your are behind the wheel , hand lotion/sun tan lotion use etc and YMMV.

Yep, alcantara works just fine for me thanks! Smiley

Clearly, each to their own preference in selecting RS5 interior options - but I wouldn't recommend sun tan lotion on the steering wheel!

Smiley

Boxster Coupe GTS:

Smiley SmileySmiley

Me, I hope Audi shows this car+interior in my driveway Smiley

Geoff

--

2001 Corolla LE - 0-60: Yes.

2009 Corvette Z06 - 0-60: Ooooh yes.

Boxster Coupe GTS:

Smiley SmileySmiley

Just one very big problem... It is NOT Alcantara(men made material) BUT SUEDE-very ware prone material. After only few months steering wheel will look terrible if you do not use driving gloves.

2010 Audi RS5 in black (photoshop) finish...

Audi-RS5-black_Rennteam.jpg

...this may look better with the "black option pack" -- but then which wheels to choose? Smiley

Audi-RS5-wheels_Rennteam.jpg

Smiley SmileySmiley

Enzo II:

Not 100kg, just 50kg between M3 DKG and RS5

Actually, the difference in weight is 125 kg: 

RS5: 1,800 kg (1,725 kg DIN + 75 kg driver/luggage = EU weight)
    M3 DKG: 1,675 kg

Best regards,

south

Boxster Coupe GTS:

Smiley

Audi-RS5-wheels_Rennteam.jpg

The RS5 is beautiful, but don't like any of the wheel choices Smiley

--

05' C4S

Boxster Coupe GTS:

This would be exactly my RS5 if I would order one. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M (03/2010), BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

RC:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

This would be exactly my RS5 if I would order one. Smiley

I would take the window framing in mat black and yep... that is it!SmileySmileySmileySmiley

JP66:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

Smiley

I disagree, i think all the wheels choices are good.

Enmanuel:
    JP66:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

Smiley

I disagree, i think all the wheels choices are good.

+1 they are excellent!

SUEDE?

OMG who uses that anymore! Alcantara was invented to replace it. Audi must have thought it will be more exclusive this way...

--
    Cash, gas or ass... no one rides for free!

How about some torque please.  317 out of a V8??

DRC

Dynamic Ride Control allows you to set up the suspension according to the task in hand, at the press of a button. There’s Comfort mode for motorway cruising, Dynamic mode for twisting lanes or, should you want to take the car to a circuit, select Sport and the suspension tightens, reducing body roll even further. All this fine-tuning of the ride makes the RS 5 taut, agile, sporty and precise.

SPORT DIFFERENTIAL

Sport differential – all-round driving improvement

The sport differential, for a performance addition to quattro which is standard on RS 5, is designed to make driving obviously smoother, more agile and more satisfying – and not just when you’re pushing the car towards its limits.

Safe, accurate turning

The sports differential enables the quattro system to not only transfer torque between the front and rear axles to counter traction losses, but also between the rear wheels. When cornering, power is redirected to the outside rear wheel, literally pushing the car through the corner.  The driver benefits from feeling more in control and the need to make small steering corrections, so familiar in an ordinary car, become a thing of the past.

Why react when you can predict?

Conventional stability management systems detect errors, then correct them. We think that’s a little late. The sport differential’s technology has such a short reaction time - less than 100 milliseconds – that any instability is sensed and dealt with before it has any effect. Almost like it never happened.

You're still in control

The sport differential has been designed to work in tandem with Audi drive select. This enables the possibility to change the characteristics of the engine, transmission, steering, shock absorbers and the active sport differential to suit your mood and the demands of the road.

AUDI DRIVE SELECT

Not all driving situations are the same. The Audi drive select system on the Audi RS 5 changes handling and response at the touch of a button to suit how you want to drive. There are four modes: comfort, dynamic, auto and individual.

For long-distances, Comfort adjusts your set-up to create a more relaxing ride. Dynamic changes the settings for a sportier driving experience, adjusting steering and throttle response. The Auto mode adapts the system depending on the current driving situation while individual, which is available in conjunction with a Satellite Navigation system, allows you to configure the dynamics of the car to your own preferences depending on what special equipment is fitted.

BRAKE SYSTEM

The 18-inch high-performance braking system is able to safely harness the formidable power of the Audi RS 5.

• 8-piston fixed callipers at the front wheels plus single-piston sliding callipers at the rear.
    • Brake callipers painted in high-gloss black.
    • Brake discs internally ventilated, perforated and with a floating mounting.
    • Brake disc diameter of 365mm at the front, and 324mm at the rear.
    • Aluminium tandem brake booster with a ratio specific to the RS 5.

• Optional front Ceramic brakes with 380mm diameter and 6-piston calipers panited in Dark grey with Audi Ceramics signiture

MODULAR LONGITUDINAL PLATFORM

The RS 5 is built on Audi’s modular longitudinal platform. This innovative chassis enables the engine to mount behind the front axle instead of over it which helps to achieve a more even weight distribution between the front and rear wheels. The result is a car that corners with confidence and handles superbly.

S Tronic

The RS 5 comes with a 7-speed S tronic gearbox. This innovative dual-clutch transmission enables gearshifts to be executed in a few hundredths of a second with virtually no interruption in power flow.

This is the first time that this gearbox has been fitted in conjunction with a high-revving engine giving the performance and the acoustics that you would expect from an RS model.

The revolutionary S tronic transmission combines the responsiveness of a manual gearbox with the convenience of an automatic. Thanks to innovative dual-clutch technology, S tronic can make a gear change in just 0.2 of a second, with no interruption to the power flow, allowing you to benefit as fully as possible from the engine’s output at all times. Depending on how you wish to drive, you can either allow gear-changes to take place automatically or, for a sportier driving style, operate the S tronic system using the gearshift or steering wheel shift-paddles.

NEW QUATTRO

A car such as the Audi RS 5 needs special treatment to put its power to the road. Enter quattro, Audi’s renowned four-wheel-drive technology. And with the RS 5 comes the latest edition of the four-wheel drive system with self-locking centre differential and torque vectoring.

With quattro, optimal drive delivery to each wheel is managed automatically and continuously, for superior handling and phenomenal grip – even in less than perfect driving conditions.

In 1980, the Audi quattro was the first permanent four-wheel drive production car. So while the technology is thoroughly tried and tested, it has also been enhanced and evolved ever since it was first introduced. Today, ultra-modern quattro technology is available on every Audi, right across the range.

RS 5 with quattro

In the RS 5, the power to the front and back wheels is split in a 40:60 ratio – giving the car a sporty, rear-focused driving style that guarantees maximum agility and driving enjoyment.

quattro®: what it does and how it works

Front-wheel or rear-wheel drive has certainly improved thanks to innovations such as electronic stability programmes, anti-lock brakes and traction control. But two-wheel drive cars will, particularly in extreme circumstances, sometimes exhibit certain (and usually undesirable) characteristics.

Due to the weight of the engine and other assemblies resting on the front axle, front-wheel drive cars tend to be slightly superior to rear-wheel drive cars in the amount of grip they can transmit to the road during wet conditions.

But in a front-wheel drive car, hard cornering or cornering on a slippery road surface can cause understeer: where the car continues forwards even though the wheels are turned.

Conversely, rear-wheel drive cars can suffer from oversteer: the driving wheels deliver more power than the road surface can handle, causing the rear end to slide and the car to travel sideways. This can be quite difficult for you to control and traction aid systems and electronic stability programmes will engage quite early.

Slippery surfaces

With quattro, drive is distributed to all four wheels permanently in varying amounts, depending on the road conditions and how the car’s being driven; it’s constantly ‘feeling’ how much grip there is for each wheel. If a wheel loses grip, drive is diverted away to wheels that have better contact with the road. All his happens imperceptibly, but it results in a feeling of exceptional composure and control, even in what would ordinarily be potentially dangerous driving conditions.

Cornering

With front-wheel or rear-wheel drive the car is effectively being either pulled or pushed round a bend. Instead, with quattro four-wheel drive, all four wheels work together and drive is delivered to where it’s needed and regulated where it isn’t. This means greater stability, more assured road-holding, enhanced agility and improved steering precision.

How it works: the Self Locking Centre Differential

The Self Locking crown-gear centre differential is at the heart of quattro® on the Audi RS 5.

Operating entirely mechanically, it continuously reacts to road conditions and responds to any differences in the rotational speeds between the axles. This ensures more power is always transmitted to the wheels with a better grip.

Working in tandem, the Electronic Differential Lock (EDL) can act when needed to prevent the wheels from spinning. Excess power at one wheel is diverted to the other wheels that have more grip, maintaining traction in virtually every situation.

Asymmetric torque distribution

The latest version of new and enhanced generation of quattro features asymmetric and dynamic torque distribution with a 40:60 split, favouring the rear wheels, and it reacts to road conditions even more responsively.

As a result, steering, handling and grip are massively improved and the whole driving experience is made more exhilarating than ever.

RS5 dimensions

4649mm Long

1860mm Wide(2020mm with ex. mirrors)

1366mm High

1586mm front track

1582mm rear track

That's excellent -- thanks Kreso! Smiley

Any idea when we will see the detailed RS5 brochure?

Smiley 

Boxster Coupe GTS:

That's excellent -- thanks Kreso! Smiley

Any idea when we will see the detailed RS5 brochure?

Smiley 

It is my hands as I typ this response.SmileySmiley

PDF version should be on German web site pretty soon as well as German Price list.

KresoF1,

what will be the real fuel consumption of RS5?

Hello KresoF1,

What is the level of Co2 of RS5 ?

Greater than 245g/km ? (This is the limit in France where you need to pay 2600 € when you buy the car + annual fee of 130 € vs 1600€ without any annual fee when Co2 <246g/km)

Thanks for your answer,

ALEXISP

Real fuel consimption of RS5? Depends on your right foot... Since it is S Tronic it will be between 9-20 liters per 100km...

Alexis,

10.8L of average fuel consumption translates into around 253g/km... Sorry.

Drewes:

How about some torque please.  317 out of a V8??

The V8 in the M3 gives 295ft-lbs and Ferrari 360 gives 275ft-lbs.  With a really high rev range and 6 or 7 gears, it is possible to use very low and close gear ratios to multiply the torque to the road - it'll be fast.

Typical high-torque V8's don't rev to 8,300rpm, so they use much taller gears (less torque multiplication in the gearbox).

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

KresoF1:

Real fuel consimption of RS5? Depends on your right foot... Since it is S Tronic it will be between 9-20 liters per 100km...

Alexis,

10.8L of average fuel consumption translates into around 253g/km... Sorry.

This is pretty good if true... I am finding the S5 does 11.2 l/100km on highway at 110 km/h... "average" ie. combined will be higher than this obviously.    Still a new engine, under 2000km so perhaps a bit better once competely broken in.... 

--

2010 Audi S5,  2002 M Coupe

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776802 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441558 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262695 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260838 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85111 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5516 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880552 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815695 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM