Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Audi RS5 in Geneva

and for shure also with the highest price in its class ;). Btw for me it doesnt look "special" enough. Maybe because the "hips" are not as good looking as on RS6. Hopefully it will look better in RL.

2010 Audi RS5 with "sports interior" includes a sports steering wheel (round) and gear-stick in alcantara, with a dual-clutch 7-speed transmission including paddle-shift behind the steering wheel...

2010-AUDI-RS5_Interior-Sport-01.jpg

2010-AUDI-RS5_Interior-Sport-02.jpg

Smiley SmileySmiley

So, does anybody who is "in the know" know if there is any chance Audi will bring this to North America?

EtherSpill:

So, does anybody who is "in the know" know if there is any chance Audi will bring this to North America?

I've heard that it will be coming statewide.  Initially it was not supposed to though.

--
    Happy Driving

Looks great! Although wheels got a total cheap aftermarket look to them! The ones resembling RS6 but with dark gray center spoke could look good. And what are the 20"... damn...

and who made such a big effort on that brochure page? To fancy and it doesnt work! somebody thinks waaay to complicated on simple thing as showing us a  pdf brochure.

IMO they must sell this in US if they intend to sell any significant number of them. People in EU aren't really waiting anxiously for a 100k€ optioned A5 - wanna be M3 "killer"

--
    Cash, gas or ass... no one rides for free!

janus:

Looks great! Although wheels got a total cheap aftermarket look to them! The ones resembling RS6 but with dark gray center spoke could look good. And what are the 20"... damn...

and who made such a big effort on that brochure page? To fancy and it doesnt work! somebody thinks waaay to complicated on simple thing as showing us a  pdf brochure.

IMO they must sell this in US if they intend to sell any significant number of them. People in EU aren't really waiting anxiously for a 100k€ optioned A5 - wanna be M3 "killer"

Huh... I do not agree with you.

20" in Rotor design looks great IMHO and are pretty Audi unique...

Number of RS5 preorders in EU is above expectations... It will sell great in EU.

M3 Killer? RS5 is much, much better car IMO-and you will have a chance to drive in mine in late Summer 2010 in ZG.

WOW so you will order one!? I just might take you up on your offer then!

I know its gonna be a better car overall than M3, what I meant was that if some one expects some big performance gains in comparison... the price premium is not worth it!

--
    Cash, gas or ass... no one rides for free!

janus:

WOW so you will order one!? I just might take you up on your offer then!

I know its gonna be a better car overall than M3, what I meant was that if some one expects some big performance gains in comparison... the price premium is not worth it!

Yes, I will order it. It is in current political/economical climate in our country good choice since it is not "in your face" sportscar...

BTW, difference in Germany with comparable options is not that bit at all-around €7K in worst case scenario.

KresoF1, no R8 V10 and 997.2 TT then?

Now where have I seen  those seats before.....Smiley

1266710226803RECOM-CGI_AUDI_RS5_20.jpg

Oh, I know......Smiley

niss-r35-blackedition-int.jpg

--

10 PRINT "997.2 Carrera S rules"

20 GOTO 10

30 RUN

And that rear end also reminds me of something.

1266710401585RECOM-CGI_AUDI_RS5_04.jpg

Not a bad car to be inspired by thoughSmiley

Maserati-GranTurismo_S_2009_1600x1200_wallpaper_14.jpg

--

20 GOTO 10

30 RUN

New #1 in its class ! the new M3 better bring it on if it wants to maintain its glory intact.

Enmanuel:

New #1 in its class ! the new M3 better bring it on if it wants to maintain its glory intact.

I believe AUDI has raised the bar so high with this latest creation that neither BMW nor MB can do anything with their existing C63 AMG or the M3.

--
    Happy Driving

+1

Looking forward to seeing this beast in GenevaSmiley

--

20 GOTO 10

30 RUN

temm:

And that rear end also reminds me of something.

Maserati-GranTurismo_S_2009_1600x1200_wallpaper_14.jpg

--

Not a bad car to be inspired by thoughSmiley

Smiley

Car Magazine: Audi RS5 (2010)

Audi-RS5_Spy-Photo_Car-Magazine.jpg

(21 February 2010)

These convincing looking shots of the new 2010 Audi RS5 have leaked onto the internet a week ahead of the car's official unveiling at the 2010 Geneva motor show.

Audi RS5: the tech story

The brochure information we've seen doesn't yet spill the tech lowdown on the new RS5. But CAR understands the top-dog A5 will be powered by a naturally aspirated 4.2-litre V8 with around 450bhp and 332lb ft. That's supported by these scooped photos, revealing a high-revving redline around 8200rpm.

It looks like only an automatic S tronic transmission will be available at first, judging by these pictures. They also suggest that four different alloy wheels options will be offered.

A soft-top version of the Audi RS5 is expected in due course, although Ingolstadt is launching with the more focused, sportier coupé pictured. Prices are set to top £60,000 in the UK.

Audi-RS5_Spy-Photo.jpg

The images prove that CAR's original RS5 cover story scoop from October 2008 (final photo above) was remarkably accurate; Audi hotly denied the existence of plans for a go-faster A5, but we'll finally see the RS5 for real on 2 March 2010.

We'll have the first official news and pictures of the RS5 in the coming days ahead of Geneva.

2010-Audi-RS5_Car-Magazine-link

Car looks great and heavily understated (which IMO is good!)

Performance must be excellent, otherwise there is no apology for the years of delay!

Audi RS5 images...

Audi-RS5_AUSmotive.jpg

(21 February 2010)

Following the news the Audi RS5 will be released at the Geneva Motor Show comes these leaked images from a forthcoming sales brochure. There’s 28 images in all, but not a lot of written detail is given.

There are no shots of the engine bay, but we’re still expecting to see a normally aspirated V8 under the bonnet to be badged as a 4.2 FSI HDZ. Peak power from the high-rev concept engine should be around the 330kW (450PS) mark. Looking at one of the pics the redline starts around 8200rpm, and it looks like you may be able to extend past that a little. Maybe?

You can see that there will be three choices for seating and four alloy wheel designs to choose from. As expected there is no manual gearbox shown, so it will be S tronic only for now. Hopefully a 6-speed manual transmission is released later at a later date. It would also seem apparent that Audi’s familiar flat bottomed steering wheel is not standard equipment, with all interior shots showing a conventionally shaped wheel. This is offset by the fact it can be optioned in alcantara, along with the S tronic shifter.

So, for now, just feast your eyes on these images and let your excitement build in anticipation for official details to be announced soon.

Audi-RS5_AUSmotive-link

2010 Geneva Motor Show Preview: 2011 Audi RS5

Audi-RS5_MotorAuthority.jpg 

(20 February 2010)

When Audi released the RS4 back in 2005, few expected it to be a true competitor to BMW’s benchmark M3 but with the benefit of quattro all-wheel drive, a high-revving V-8, and better weight distribution, the performance sedan managed to upset many, if not, all of its rivals. A replacement for the RS4 is till several years away as RS variants are usually only released in the final couple of years of a standard model’s product cycle, but to fill the gap a brand new RS5 model is due.

Images of the 2011 Audi RS5 have now leaked ahead of the car’s world debut scheduled for next month’s 2010 Geneva Motor Show.

No official specs have been released but from the last images we can clearly see that the new RS5 will be sporting an adjustable rear bootlid spoiler.

One potential powertrain option is the same 4.2-liter V-8 as the RS4, however, power will likely be boosted to around 450 horsepower. The car will also likely get the option of Audi’s newly upgraded S-tronic dual-clutch gearbox along with a manual transmission. Other sources claim it may use a derivative of the V-10 from the RS6, but this is likely to be too expensive for a car that will have to compete in price with its aforementioned rivals.

The new RS5 is scheduled to go on sale in Europe this July and previous spy shots of prototypes testing in the US suggest the car could be in local showrooms by the end of the year.

2010-Audi-RS5_MotorAuthority-link

Audi RS5 - with high speed 450 hp V8

(21 February 2010)

Now the first pictures leaked of Audi's new "Back in the Habit" RS5. It has a brand new, high revving V8 engine that pumps out of her no less than 450 hp. Impressive? Yes, but it is only the beginning!

Audi_RS5_Geneva_01_big.jpg

So far we have only a few images leaked onto the internet and almost no information at all. 

We have been able to tell if RS5 a long time and there are also rife in a lot of spy photos, not least from the Nürburgring. But now the first pictures leaked online and we can see in detail how Audi's new sports model RS5 looks.

At a hasty glance, it looks like a S5, with larger air intakes in the front. But there is more than that which characterizes the new RS5. Under the hood lies namely the new V8 engine that Audi will use in several different guises in order to put fear into their rivals.

Audi_RS5_Geneva_02_big.jpg

Two large, oval exhaust. No large rear wing - it comes first in "Urquattro".

So far Audi has not sent out an official press release and we are trying to make puzzles with the information that trickled out from Ingolstadt. The new V8 engine will be roughly the same size as the current S5 engine, but lathes up to 8500 rpm and therefore provides 100 hp more - about 450 hp (V8 in the S5 is of 4.2 litres, giving 354 hp at 7000 rpm).

Impressive power aside for a naturally aspirated engine, but Audi also has a turbo-charged, slightly smaller version in the pipeline that provides much higher peak power, yet decent fuel economy. According to the information we have seen is Audi use the same principle as the BMW, that is, to go top lids and the exhaust side to the middle between the top lid.

The new turbo V8 is very compact and can be used in several models - R8: an is one of the most suitable. Is it true that we heard Audi will also pick the bottom V8 also SUV model Q5 - to compete with the Porsche Cayenne!

Audi_RS5_Geneva_03_big.jpg

The steps from S5 to RS5 are not so great, but the special seats shows that taking the leap.

As we told you about before Audi is experimenting with different lightweight materials and a part of this appears in the RS5. But more is expected in the future and improves performance mainly due to lower weight, not more power.

RS5 gets its public debut at the Geneva Motor Show in early March and it is - how strange it may sound - a little sin. For Audi really should be celebrating the 30-anniversary "Urquattro" in Geneva, but it will apparently take place only in summer. Then Audi show off a retro model of "Urquattro" which will hopefully be in mass production.

2010-Audi-RS5_Auto-Motor-Sport-Sweden-link

Smiley SmileySmiley

The  RS5 is certainly a very good car but not GREAT in my opinion as it comes about two years too late.

The goal posts have been moved in these years by the likes of the GT-R (whom the RS5 will have to be measured to at least as much as to the M3) and it is also clear that a naturally aspirated engine is not the way of the future.

So to speak, this engine (although very good and certainly fun to rev) is a kind of dinosaur. As BMW has shown with the 3 liter turbo engines and the new 4.4 litre biturbo generation, which spans in various version (M and not) through the different model lines replacing the aspirated 4.8 and 5.0 M engine,  this is the way to go: less consumption, more power and much more torque there where it counts most - at low revs. 

I'd be much more excited over this RS5 if it had a 3.6 litre biturbo rather than the 4.2 l high revving aspirated engine. I would be astonished if Audi would not expand the strategy of downsizing devised with the 2.5 RS TT to other models including the A5.

We have to give it Porsche that the 911 turbo engine was a visionary concept! Smiley

--

turbolite

Looks like a sedan with lots of bulges, vents, scoops, fancy rims...

Wonderbar:

I agree, I think the S5 has a more harmonious look, at least on paper.  

We'll have to check it out in the flesh in Geneva, like so many other cars...Smiley

--

turbolite

I will be in Geneva for press days.  If you are there then, it might be fun to meet a fellow Rennteamer...

turbolite:

The  RS5 is certainly a very good car but not GREAT in my opinion as it comes about two years too late.

The goal posts have been moved in these years by the likes of the GT-R (whom the RS5 will have to be measured to at least as much as to the M3) and it is also clear that a naturally aspirated engine is not the way of the future.

So to speak, this engine (although very good and certainly fun to rev) is a kind of dinosaur. As BMW has shown with the 3 liter turbo engines and the new 4.4 litre biturbo generation, which spans in various version (M and not) through the different model lines replacing the aspirated 4.8 and 5.0 M engine,  this is the way to go: less consumption, more power and much more torque there where it counts most - at low revs. 

I'd be much more excited over this RS5 if it had a 3.6 litre biturbo rather than the 4.2 l high revving aspirated engine. I would be astonished if Audi would not expand the strategy of downsizing devised with the 2.5 RS TT to other models including the A5.

We have to give it Porsche that the 911 turbo engine was a visionary concept! Smiley

Engine design is clearly a matter of personal preference - and I certainly respect your perspective - but I've always preferred the overall character, increased rev range and motorsport sound provided by higher-revving naturally aspirated engines! Smiley

For example, I would clearly prefer the character of the following "naturally-aspirated" engines...

• McLaren F1 6.1-litre BMW V12 (627bhp, 479lb ft, 7500rpm)
    • Porsche Carrera GT 5.7-litre V10 (603bhp, 435lb ft, 8400rpm)
    • Ferrari 458 Italia 4.5-litre V8 (562bhp, 398lb ft, 9000rpm)
    • Porsche 911 GT3 RS 3.8-litre Flat-6 (450bhp, 317lb ft, 8500rpm)
    • Lexus LF-A 4.8-litre V10 (552bhp, 354lb ft, 9000rpm)
    • BMW M5 5.0-litre V10 (500bhp, 384lb ft, 8250rpm)
    • Audi RS5 Coupe 4.2-litre V8 FSI (450bhp, 340lb ft, 8500rpm)

...compared to the following "forced induction" engines...

• Bugatti Veyron 8.0-litre W16 quad-turbo (987bhp, 922lb ft, 6500rpm)
    • Mercedes SLR McLaren 5.4-litre V8 supercharger (617bhp, 575lb ft, 7000rpm)
    • Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 6.2-litre V8 supercharger (638bhp, 604lb ft, 6500rpm)
    • Porsche 911 Turbo 3.8-litre Flat-6 twin-turbo (493bhp, 479lb ft, 6800rpm)
    • Nissan GT-R 3.8-litre V6 twin-turbo (478bhp, 434lb ft, 7000rpm)
    • BMW X6 M 4.4-litre V8 twin-turbo (547bhp, 502lb ft, 7000rpm)
    • Audi RS6 5.0-litre V10 twin-turbo (572bhp, 480lb ft, 6800rpm)

...but that's really just my personal preference! Smiley

Porsche-Carrera-GT-V10-Engine_Rennteam.jpg

Smiley SmileySmiley

Boxster coupe GTS, It's clear I do respect your choice very much too. Smiley

Both have it's pro and cons and I don't think there is a clear winner here. Personally I also used to prefer higher revving engines until I bought my first 996 tt. The explosive power delivery from a pretty low end just got me!

I owned one of the first S5 and loved it, but i appreciated the fact that it got more torque than the rs4 and I see this car more like a sporty cruiser rather than a sportscar. My impression with the few rs4 drives I had also was that the car did not feel as performing as I would expect from 420 hp. (In fact a friend of mine got a Novidem Kompressor attached on his, so that car  feels really strong now!!)

Turbo (or kompressor) engines just give me more options to enjoy the performance on the street due to the torque. This is even more true since I moved to Switzerland, which is a great place to live but a terrible place to drive fast!! Smiley

Totally different situation on a racetrack, where I agree a GT3 engine is much more involving than a 997tt!!

--

turbolite

turbolite:
    Wonderbar:

I agree, I think the S5 has a more harmonious look, at least on paper.  

We'll have to check it out in the flesh in Geneva, like so many other cars...Smiley

You can say the same thing regarding a Carrera S vs a Turbo,GT2 or GT3RS with all  the latters' slats , bulges  and " boy racer " cues.

maybe you should both spend more  time at  " librarianteam.com " instead !

Smiley

turbolite:

on, more power and much more torque there where it counts most - at low revs. 

Spend time at Audi boards and the main thing missing from the new supercharged V6 S4 and S5Cab is the glorious V8 rumble in the S5 coupe . Sure the test numbers are good as is consumption , but the exhaust sound is mehhh. 

Like comparing the sound of a NA GT3RS to a Turbo - the latter a manic vacuum cleaner sound  even with aftermarket exhaust which only lowers the tone and makes it louder , but the turbo muffles all the good noises and there is no way around it.

Same thing will happen with the next gen M3 and M5 as they go forced induction to appease  the CO2 politicos .

Microprocessor -based efficiencies are driving cars forward - witness the foolproof new Ferrari 458 . In a few years , sports cars will GPS steer /brake and accelerate for you at your favorite track. You just strap in , dial in 7/10ths to  10/10ths, tail wide or not ,and go for the ride, all the while doing your office work - improving "efficiency"  even more .

Smiley

artur777:
    KresoF1, no R8 V10 and 997.2 TT then?

No R8 V10.

997.2 Turbo PDK or Turbo S-one of them for sure.

RS5-for sure.

458 mate? 

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776854 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441584 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262707 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260850 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85132 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5521 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880572 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815732 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM