Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: New 997 Turbo S and Turbo S Cabriolet (2010)

Well, there is always something new around the corner. The day you get a car, it is already obsolete. Car manufacturers make changes every year to their cars to keep pace with the others...

JimFlat6:
    MKW:
    JimFlat6:

Once again Porsche trots out their old Turbo S marketing trick..  

Having mutiple engine variants and " $pecial"  versions of each has been their  business model for the  911 range since it  replaced the 356 line in 1965 - so what else is new ? It'll still be that way in the 2055 model year , when your great-grandchild  will be muttering the same thing . 

Smiley

Let me clarify the variants in your knowledge of all things Porsche.

The 911 Turbo S comes out always when its the last year of the 911 body style. 

A  S model Turbo is never released simultaneous with a new model standard Turbo.

And the " most special" versions of various Ferraris and Lambos ( heck, even Honda Accords ) always come out near the ends of their runs also . 

If a Turbo S came out same time as reg Turbo , you can bet the marketing folks wouldn't be able to control themselves and an " S2" would be in the offering 12-18 mos later  , and of course an  " RS2" in the last model year , etc., and you are back at square one  with purchasing angst. You'd probably do the same if you were in their employ because you have to  put  " an ass in every seat " for every car you build ,as the universal car  industry insider  parlance goes . 

Smiley

Guys, what do you think, is this "Flatblack" or "Basaltblack"?

Which (black) colour suit better to the Turbo S  in your opinion?

dnirgp.jpg

--
    Kind regards, Conny 
    More pics: http://www.dayboox.com/group/Connys%20Galerie
    Porsche 997 Turbo * Porsche Cayenne GTS * BMW X5M

Conny997:

I think that that image has been digitally reworked so much that it is not really possible to say with certainty whether the original car was flat black or basalt black metallic.  Smiley

I have specced Porsches both in flat black and in basalt metallic in the past, so I can claim to be completely unbiased. Smiley 

Based on experience of "living" with the colors, I would say that basalt black metallic is worth the premium price, because it gives the impression of a better quality paint job both when the car is clean and, especially, when the car is dirty. 

--

fritz

I had a black with gold flecks. I forget what it was called (it's been over ten years since I owned a 911). NIce color but impossible to keep clean.

If you like driving around in a car that looks dirty, be sure to order some form of black.

--

Conny997:

I think Kreso said it is basalt and from the Turbo S brochure I would say it is. Smiley

I would not order a car in plain black again. Yes, it looks absolutely gorgeous when clean, but it never is and plain black is so sensitive against scratches and even minor swirls, you won't even notice with every other colour.

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Thank you for your comments and recommendations
    So I thing I would go for basalt blk in case I decide for black at all.
    Currently I don't know if I should order a Turbo S  and which color apart of black is suitable.

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Conny997:

Thank you for your comments and recommendations
    So I thing I would go for basalt blk in case I decide for black at all.
    Currently I don't know if I should order a Turbo S  and which color apart of black is suitable.

My favourite colors for 997.2 Turbo/Turbo S are:

Meteorgraumetallic

GT Silbermetallic

New Eisblaumetallic is somehow interesting as well.

Amethystmetallic is new interesting sonderlackierung that replaces Atlasgraumetallic.

Basaltschwarzmetallic? For Panamers for sure-just IMHO not so for 997.2 Turbo. I know that many will disagree with me since we have many Black 911 fans here...

Thanks, Kreso.
    Yes, meteorgrey works for me as well but after driving the 997.1 turbo with this color, I would like to change.
    Iceblue is very special, my wife love it, but I'm not sure...
    Amethystmetallic: yes would be suitable but currently not available for order.
    (Not before Sept.2010)

Not that easy....

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Conny997:

Thanks, Kreso.
    Yes, meteorgrey works for me as well but after driving the 997.1 turbo with this color, I would like to change.
    Iceblue is very special, my wife love it, but I'm not sure...
    Amethystmetallic: yes would be suitable but currently not available for order.
    (Not before Sept.2010)

Not that easy....

New iceblue is nice, but would I order it? Probably no.

Does anybody know, how the new platinumsilver looks like? Meteor sure is nice, but I can understand that you want a change. I feel the same with my former seal grey. Amethyst is just a bit too dark for me, I assume it is the same colour as for the Panamera. And too much purple of course. Aquablue is nice as well, but it's very "blue".

So there's not much left, basalt is still very high on my list. Smiley

--

I know this may sound odd coming from a person who believes sports should be exciting to look at but the color I would choose is white with beige interior. Porsche white is fantastic. It is the best on the market and does wonders for the appearance of the turbo which has several openings (cut outs) on its exterior.

--

I'm finding my car (just a humble turbo) in Aqua Blue gets very dirty, very quickly, especially around the back of the car. Bad time of year for keeping cars clean in the UK anyway but it looks like the aerodynamics are tuned to perfection to dump dirt across the back. Oh, and the RS Spyder wheels are a nightmare to clean. Apart from all the spokes, there's a "gutter" around the rim behind the spokes where the run-off collects.

MarkN:

Oh, and the RS Spyder wheels are a nightmare to clean. Apart from all the spokes, there's a "gutter" around the rim behind the spokes where the run-off collects.

PCCB. Smiley

--

Maybe!

Conny997:

dnirgp.jpg

It gives more the impression of flat black but as being said this is influenced by Photoshop correction and the fact that one will hardly see the car in such clean condition on the road. Smiley

Other than the thin front lip, the black car above looks stunning! Hard to beat yellow brake w/ silver wheel on a black car. I even like the interior -- I assume this is two tone beige and black?

There was some discussion a while back about the PDK Turbo not being ECU-moddable for fear of damage, not to the engine, but to the PDK. The Turbo S is the answer: A ECU-mod that is factory approved and obviously won't exceed the limit of the PDK.

Perhaps Turbo S engine will be same as 997.2 GT2's engine? Both giving a hint to the max allowable torque limit of PDK, before it does "a GTR"?

--

Regards,
    Can
    997 Turbo + Bilstein Damptronic ( Review ) + GIAC ECU Tune ( Fast as a torpedo & reversible to stock - Review ) + Cargraphic Exhaust ( Oh heavenly noise! )

997.2 Turbo S in from now in German Porsche Configurator.

Rossi:

Actually basalt is currently on my list high as well. Thank you for your opinion.

Can't understand that Porsche isn't able to offer some more colors with the attributes:

- suitable and exclusively for the Turbo S
    - elegant for an typical GT
    - sporty to underline the power

I ask to much from Porsche? Smiley

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Again thank you for your thoughts, guys.Smiley

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Conny997:
    Rossi:

Actually basalt is currently on my list high as well. Thank you for your opinion.

Can't understand that Porsche isn't able to offer some more colors with the attributes:

In that case GT Silver Metallic.

KresoF1:
    Conny997:
    Rossi:

Nope... the GT silver on the Turbo is for me the worst color you could choose on that car.

A friend of mine has a Macadamia Convertible Turbo. Looks nice and elegant, but not sporty at all.

Basalt is great! Atlas might be a another choice.

Lars997:
    KresoF1:
    Conny997:
    Rossi:

Nope... the GT silver on the Turbo is for me the worst color you could choose on that car.

A friend of mine has a Macadamia Convertible Turbo. Looks nice and elegant, but not sporty at all.

Basalt is great! Atlas might be a another choice.

My thoughts as well. Get Atlas as long as you can, as it will be discontinued in autumn (also not very fond of GT silver BTW).

--

There is a problem since Atlas Grey is available till 07/2010 for normal 997.2 Turbo ONLY. NOT for Turbo S.

My favourite color for 997.2 Turbo is Meteor Grey, with standard Turbo II wheels.

MY personal problem is that I do not like any shade of black or white.

Potential solution for Conny is(if he can wait) Carbon Grey from Panamera as special order. It would look awsome in that color and IMHO it is total shame that Porsche did not offer Carbongraumetallic as sonderfarbe.

I think dark colours look better on a Turbo or Turbo S  They suit the character of the car IMHO.

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

KresoF1:

There is a problem since Atlas Grey is available till 07/2010 for normal 997.2 Turbo ONLY. NOT for Turbo S.special order.

Thanks Kreso, I didn't know that. Smiley

--

easy_rider911:

I think dark colours look better on a Turbo or Turbo S  They suit the character of the car IMHO.

Absolutely agree here. Smiley

New platinumsilver is in the Configurator, it looks like grigio ingrid from Ferrari. Doesn't suit the Turbo/S IMO. Smiley

--

A saw black turbo cab yesterday and because the color hid most of the distinguishing features of the car I couldn't tell if it was a base 997 or something else.In other words, all I could tell it was a Porsche and nothing more.

Black or dark colors hide most of the styling features of a car. I guess on a Porsche, that isn't all bad.

--

nberry:

A saw black turbo cab yesterday and because the color hid most of the distinguishing features of the car I couldn't tell if it was a base 997 or something else.In other words, all I could tell it was a Porsche and nothing more.

Black or dark colors hide most of the styling features of a car. I guess on a Porsche, that isn't all bad.

Absolutely true!

--
    Bye!

nberry:

On the contrary, white 997 Turbos look great.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Your opinions and recommendations are very helpful. And yes, at least I will go with a kind of black and of course it might be an alternative to go with meteorgrey again. (Thanks for the suggestion Kreso).

Yesterday I met my dealer and shot a pic of "darkolive metalic" on an 997 cab.
    Not that bad I think. The overall impression is like a deep and shiny black (more than basalt black).
    Only under sunny conditions one can see partly a slightly darkgreen shine. Her's a sample

IMG_0177.JPG

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763994 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436295 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260955 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257889 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82593 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876671 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808678 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM