Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Gallardo Spyder - Metal Grinding then Oil EVERYWHE

After 2500 miles and less than 3 months of ownership, I had my first real problem with my Gallardo Spyder. After a day of mostly hard driving, I took off from a stoplight at a slow pace and was headed down the road when I heard a pop followed by metal grinding. I thought I blew a tire, so I began to pull off to the side of the road when I noticed white smoke off of the engine cover later followed by a red oil indicator on the dash (oil pressure?). When I got the oil error I immediately shut off the engine and brought the car to a stop, at which point it promptly emptied the engine's oil onto the pavement.

I couldn't really get underneath the car to see if there was anything obvious, I definitely didn't run over anything that would've caused the problem, it just sort of happened. Lamborghini roadside towed the car to my house as it was too late to tow it to the closest dealer (and no drop off box for the keys at the dealer); they will pick it up again on Monday and take it to the dealer for a look.

Has anyone had this happen before? I took delivery of the car in December 06, I broke it in properly (less than 5K RPM for the first 650 miles), and I have not modded the car at all. Oil levels were normal last time I checked which was around the 2K mile mark. The car is a 6-speed.

Any idea what I can expect to happen next? I'm guessing given the severity of the issue that they'll have to swap the engine out, if that's the case, should I demand a new car? Prior to this I've had no major issues with the car or indications of anything odd going on.

A friend that was with me at the time has pics of the incident on his cell phone, I'll try and get them up here. Until then, here are pics of when she was first delivered and healthy:

On the bright side, my F430 Spider is at port and may be here as soon as this week. Impeccable timing I'll still be happier when the Gallardo is back up and running again, although I'm sure every time I go out in it I'll wonder if it will strand me again.

Re: Gallardo Spyder - Metal Grinding then Oil EVER

That's not good to hear!

I hope it is nothing serious. Keep us updated Raz! All the best

nice pics

from your description seems like it must be something bad, but lets hope thats not the case

It doesn't sound good from what you describe. I also had a bad weekend with my 06 e-gear coupe. I had been driving for around an hour and a quarter when the engine warning light started flickering on and off. I stopped the car, switched the engine off then restarted it to see if the fault would clear. The engine light stayed on along with the engine display in the check panel indicating a fault in cylinder bank 1-5. I nursed the car home and will be calling the dealer tomorrow. I've only done 680 miles in mine from new Good luck with yours.

i would say they will replace the engine , an easy job. thats weird.. my 04 never had a single problem..
    good luck

Re: Gallardo Spyder - Metal Grinding then Oil EVERYWHE

Based on what you described I suspect it is a serious problem. Possibly something internally must have penetrated the engine block causing the problem.

Your problem looking at a replacement engine. Since you have owned the car for several months I doubt they will give you a new car. Had the same failure occurred after a day or two of ownership you would have a better case.

The 430 Spider should salve your wounds.

Quote:
    nberry said:

The 430 Spider should salve your wounds.

Yeah, they just spontaneously combust and burn to the ground.

Any updates?

I hope everything works out in this situation for the best in your part.

Just a quick update guys: the car will be picked up by Lamborghini Ohio (the original dealer I purchased it from) this weekend and I should know more next week. The road I was driving on was as smooth as could be, nothing hit the underbody of the car. The pop I heard was quite sudden and difficult to describe other than it being loud and it sounded like my tire or rim just disintegrated. I quickly realized it wasn't as simple as a tire and turned the engine off to avoid any further damage.

I stepped out of the car into this:

There were tons of people that came up to us when we were stopped waiting for Lamborghini roadside, most had the common sense to smoke in/around the oil spill (after all, what better way to make the day more interesting than creating an oil fire next to the broken down lambo ):

Here's the best shot I got of the underbody:

And here's the poor thing getting on the tow truck:

Thanks for the replies and as soon as I've got more information I'll post it.

What a @#$%! Shame, good luck with the repair.

any updates??

Update! Lamborghini Ohio has the car, took a look at it and believes that the problem was caused by a bolt that came undone on the driveshaft. It appears that the bolt was not tightened properly at the factory and eventually came undone. When it flew off, it managed to take an oil line, power steering and some other bits and pieces with it.

The bolt flying around in there is what caused the initial noise, and the ruptured oil line explains why the car dumped its oil everywhere. Parts have been ordered and hopefully will be there by the end of the week, however there's still the question of whether or not the engine is ok. As soon as the oil pressure warning came on the dash, I shut the engine off, but I don't know if that was soon enough to avoid any engine damage. I guess we'll find out in about a week whether or not it was enough to save the engine.

I'm happy to learn that it doesn't look like it was engine failure that caused the problem, now it's time to play the waiting game

Quote:
    Raz (NC) said:
    Update! Lamborghini Ohio has the car, took a look at it and believes that the problem was caused by a bolt that came undone on the driveshaft. It appears that the bolt was not tightened properly at the factory and eventually came undone. When it flew off, it managed to take an oil line, power steering and some other bits and pieces with it.

The bolt flying around in there is what caused the initial noise, and the ruptured oil line explains why the car dumped its oil everywhere. Parts have been ordered and hopefully will be there by the end of the week, however there's still the question of whether or not the engine is ok. As soon as the oil pressure warning came on the dash, I shut the engine off, but I don't know if that was soon enough to avoid any engine damage. I guess we'll find out in about a week whether or not it was enough to save the engine.

I'm happy to learn that it doesn't look like it was engine failure that caused the problem, now it's time to play the waiting game

Hi Raz,

That is terrible, factory should have been more thorough with the assembly. I hope your engine will be OK and that they're going to give you a hell of a lot of complimentary "gifts"

So you should have your car back in 2 weeks if all goes well? At least you can have it back before spring

Hmmmmmm....its seems that Lambo's all over are falling foul of basic errors such as loose bolts/ washer rusting etc...Just be thankfull that you weren't barreling along at 200mph when the problem occured...not cool on a $150+ machine...

Raz,

not a good thing to experience. Anyways I am happy that the problem was more or less peripheric to the engine. I wouldn't be too concerned regarding the oil pressure.

Good luck with the rebuild and tell them they should tighten the screws once more.

Sounds a lot better than my original thoughts when I first started reading this thread. jmho from hearing the details doubt you would have done any damage to the engine. Oil doesn't just drain completely dry by the time you could pull over. ps: Sweet lambo.

Raz (NC):
    After 2500 miles and less than 3 months of ownership, I had my first real problem with my Gallardo Spyder. After a day of mostly hard driving, I took off from a stoplight at a slow pace and was headed down the road when I heard a pop followed by metal grinding. I thought I blew a tire, so I began to pull off to the side of the road when I noticed white smoke off of the engine cover later followed by a red oil indicator on the dash (oil pressure?). When I got the oil error I immediately shut off the engine and brought the car to a stop, at which point it promptly emptied the engine's oil onto the pavement.

I couldn't really get underneath the car to see if there was anything obvious, I definitely didn't run over anything that would've caused the problem, it just sort of happened. Lamborghini roadside towed the car to my house as it was too late to tow it to the closest dealer tires sport cars (and no drop off box for the keys at the dealer); they will pick it up again on Monday and take it to the dealer for a look.

Has anyone had this happen before? I took delivery of the car in December 06, I broke it in properly (less than 5K RPM for the first 650 miles), and I have not modded the car at all. Oil levels were normal last time I checked which was around the 2K mile mark. The car is a 6-speed.

Any idea what I can expect to happen next? I'm guessing given the severity of the issue that they'll have to swap the engine out, if that's the case, should I demand a new car? Prior to this I've had no major issues with the car or indications of anything odd going on.

A friend that was with me at the time has pics of the incident on his cell phone, I'll try and get them up here. Until then, here are pics of when she was first delivered and healthy:

On the bright side, my F430 Spider is at port and may be here as soon as this week. Impeccable timing   I'll still be happier when the Gallardo is back up and running again, although I'm sure every time I go out in it I'll wonder if it will strand me again.

Amazing looking car, I was checking the prices now and can't believe how low the they have gotten.

--
    Porsche and other cars video collection

Let's see if Lambo steps up and does the right thing. 

What kind of loaner did they give you in the meantime? Perhaps an R8? :) 

--

...the only thing stopping you in all likelihood, is you!

This thread is almost 3 years old...

JoeRockhead:

Yeh, I guess Raz will have given the loaner back by now. Smiley

--

fritz

Was the R8 even on sale 3 years ago? This thread has enjoyed a brief second life

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M (03/2010), BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

haha, beautiful pics nonetheless!

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 
    2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd 2.0L 136 hp (120lb-ft) CD silver on grey (sold)
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd 2.5L 150 hp (168lb-ft) champagne gold on grown leather. (sold)

easy_rider911:

Was the R8 even on sale 3 years ago? This thread has enjoyed a brief second life

Rennteam makes its contribution to the environment by recycling threads. Smiley

--

fritz

I was hoping for some more news.

--

http://www.phrog.co.uk

trev0006:

Amazing looking car, I was checking the prices now and can't believe how low the they have gotten.

Lambo's have always been know for depreciation. Take a look at the F430's - they are not fairing by much better either. When the economy was good, there was lots of new money being spent on these sort of luxuries. Now that it is bad, there is an oversupply of these vehicles.

PS. Talk about a thread revival Smiley

I didn't notice the orginal posting date when I responded. Someone must have responded before me which brought it back up to top.

--

...the only thing stopping you in all likelihood, is you!

fritz:
    easy_rider911:

Rennteam makes its contribution to the environment by recycling threads. Smiley

how eco-friendly of us Smiley

fritz:
    JoeRockhead:

Yeh, I guess Raz will have given the loaner back by now. Smiley

Hahaha, that comment really made me laugh SmileySmiley

--

987 Boxster S, Arctic Silver with 'Martini Racing' Livery, H&R Monotube Coil-Overs, H&R Anti Roll Bars, Strut Brace, FVD ECU, BMC Air Filter, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, Recaro Racing Shells, PSE.

997 Carrera 4S, Guards Red, Bilstein PSS10 Damptronic, H&R Anti Roll Bars, IPD Plenum, Dension Gateway 500, PSE.

anyone know what the outcome was on the lambo?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    766760 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437804 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261579 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258506 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    83056 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5342 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877909 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    810504 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM