Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Canceled Panamera Turbo order

Today, I finally ran out of patience and canceled my turbo that has been on order since July. I am taking delivery of a 2010 BMW 750i M Sport fully loaded on Monday. The total lack of communication from Porsche to me or my dealer finally killed my enthusiasim and desire to own the car. The sticker was $158,000 and they can't even extend the courtesy of basic communication. The car was originally scheduled to arrive the first week of November and now here we are almost at the end of December and still without a firm date. Good luck meeting your sales goal with those customer service practices!

Re: Canceled Panamera Turbo order

Wow, this doesn't sound good at all. My dealer for example has problems moving these cars but I guess it is a different market in the US.

You shouldn't have run out of patience though, PCNA usually cares a lot about customer satisfaction, I really don't have a clue what happened.

There seems to be a problem with Panamera remote/key control software/frequencies in the US but this will be fixed. Apparently those who have a delayed delivery were informed by PCNA/dealers and there seems even to be a gift involved, a complete Porsche Panamera luggage set.

The Panamera Turbo is a wonderful car, I'm not sure the BMW 750i can replace it.

Personally I passed on the Panamera Turbo as a family car and went for a BMW X5 M instead. The reason is actually a different one, I couldn't justify paying 150000 EUR for a family car and I also was afraid that this HUGE car sends the wrong message to customers during this financial crisis, especially over  here in Germany. 

You should have waited I guess but it is of course YOUR choice and if your dealer let you down, I can understand you very well.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M (03/2010), BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

The only upside to your  decision (under the pressure of impatience) is that you will enjoy your next Porsche much more after experiencing the competent but "antiseptic" 7 series.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

reginos:

The only upside to your  decision (under the pressure of impatience) is that you will enjoy your next Porsche much more after experiencing the competent but "antiseptic" 7 series.

I would of also waited a bit longer.... The Panamera is special...the BM..is common

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

I drive a new 750i frequently between Zurich and Munich and rest assured you have made a good choice. I call it the flying carpet

as it is so much fun to try the various suspension set up and in terms of solid cabin-comfort, sat nav display and head-up display it's hard to beat - a true joy to use and play with.

Engine is so smooth and you don't need more power at all....it pulls up without lag to 155 miles/h with little windnoise.

GREAT CHOICE and far better design

BjoernB:

I call it the flying carpet

That's its problem exactly. Little feel for the ground. Not an involving  driver's car IMO. And if it's absolute comfort you are looking for, the M-B S Class is superior in this respect.

--

Well if u push the sportmodus it's no 911 - but certainly also not disconnected to what's going on below. Depending on yr mood u have 3 set up's and there are clearly differences in feel amongst them. Good enough for a limo by far ! I have not yet driven a Panamera Turbo - but on the autobahn for hours the bmer works perfectly - not even talking about pricedifferences ! I don't need a car that is mixing sport with comfort - it's eighter or and again the Panamera is nice from the front but "buttugly"....

BjoernB:

Well if u push the sportmodus it's no 911 - but certainly also not disconnected to what's going on below. Depending on yr mood u have 3 set up's and there are clearly differences in feel amongst them. Good enough for a limo by far ! I have not yet driven a Panamera Turbo - but on the autobahn for hours the bmer works perfectly - not even talking about pricedifferences ! I don't need a car that is mixing sport with comfort - it's eighter or and again the Panamera is nice from the front but "buttugly"....

Fair enough,it's one of the best cars around and no one can deny that. But, I've driven the 730d with the dynamic drive system and the level of involvement and driver appeal was very low for someone who enjoys driving and not merely travelling. Excellent engine and transmission though. The car just glides and eats the miles. Perhaps that was BMW's objective but not enough for some people.

--

I would have waited longer if PCNA would just tell the dealer a date of when I will receive the car. It completed production 7 weeks ago and has just beem sitting at port. I am skeptical that there must be an issue with the car that they are not disclosing other than the key problem. The 750i (short wheelbase) with sport package gives a fairly involving (connected) driving experience. It is not equal to the Panamera Turbo but at least I will be driving it instead of feeling my car has disappeared into a black hole. The lease payment is also approximately 50% less so that is some saving grace.

that is more than saving grace, with the extra money you can buy a low milage 09 C2S ! Smiley

you made the right decision. Remember to post pics!

I owned a 750 and after a week I thought I was driving my dad's old cadillac. Wait for the Panamera. Who cares what people think. Saw a turbo yesterday and it looks fantastic in person.

today I saw my first panamera turbo live in the traffic...well,the hatchback look is way more better than in the pictures, and the car really looks aggressive in the front.It was a black panamera turbo with the new 997.2 turbo rims

--
    Dedi La vita è troppo corta per non guidare italiano.....

andrea:

It was a black panamera turbo with the new 997.2 turbo rims

Definitely the best colour and wheel choice for the Panamera. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

andrea:

today I saw my first panamera turbo live in the traffic...well,the hatchback look is way more better than in the pictures, and the car really looks aggressive in the front.It was a black panamera turbo with the new 997.2 turbo rims

I saw the Panamera for the 1st time 3 weeks ago and the car looks way better IRL than on pics.  The front is perfect, hood is very low.  Rear and 3/4 rear view are not bad at all, but it may be due to the fact that one fears the worst after having seen the pics.  Smiley All in all and IMHO of course Porsche succeeded to create a limousine that "speaks" the Porsche design language. Smiley

By the way I saw for the first time the Ferrari California (tops up) around the same period of time and the comments above also apply: looks way better in the flesh than on pics and design exudes a typical Ferrari presence and flair. 

I have seen several Panameras on the street here, and they are unique and elegant.  But I have to admit that I am already starting to long for slightly wider fenders and a sport package.  I keep imagining how the 550 HP turbo engine in my CTTS, mated with a PDK, will perform.  I know, I know, I am sick....

Wonderbar:

I have seen several Panameras on the street here, and they are unique and elegant.  But I have to admit that I am already starting to long for slightly wider fenders and a sport package.  I keep imagining how the 550 HP turbo engine in my CTTS, mated with a PDK, will perform.  I know, I know, I am sick....

You're not sick at all, this sounds great and I don't think a Panamera Turbo S is far away Smiley but as much as I agree on the elegant look, I also think that this car looks more like a Bentley than a Porsche. Here is where the trouble with this cars starts, it is just too huge for a Porsche, even compared to the Cayenne.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M (03/2010), BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Because of the mistake of TRYING to 'gun' for the 7, S-Class. If Porsche had aimed at the M5s and the E/CLS5/63s, it would have been a hands down winner. A Porsche Sports Sedan that's a driver's car.

Whoopsy:

Because of the mistake of TRYING to 'gun' for the 7, S-Class. If Porsche had aimed at the M5s and the E/CLS5/63s, it would have been a hands down winner. A Porsche Sports Sedan that's a driver's car.

Very well said. Smiley I still think the Panamera Turbo is a driver's car but it surely doesn't look that way and this is where the problems start.

I don't want to sound like bashing the Panamera, I don't, people need to read ALL my posts about the Panamera carefully. I love this car but its size and rear are not right.

A 5 series sized Panamera would surely be in my garage right now.

--

Apparently, Porsche tried to make one four door sedan to cover both segments i.e. something that could be a substitute for  sporty 5 series/E-class models as well as for large S class/7 series limousines. By doing that Porsche has made some Porsche fans unhappy, but on the other hand they couldn't develop 2 separate models. Furthermore, if they concentrated on the lower segment (5 series/E class/A5) they would have left the upper (and importantly  more profitable) limousine segment untapped.

Whether this marketing strategy was the wise one, will only be proven on the market place. Too early to tell yet.

--

I think now that Piech has sunk his claws into Porsche, he will probably demand the next Panamera to be a 5 series sized car and pushes HIS Phaeton again to the upper limo segment.

For me the biggest problem is that it has only 4 seats vs 5 for all its competitors whether you are talking about E63/M5/RS6 or 7-Series/S-Class. For a car that size they should at least have the option to spec a 3 seat rear bench like you can with the BMW X6 and 5-SeriesGT.

palenimbus:

For me the biggest problem is that it has only 4 seats vs 5 for all its competitors whether you are talking about E63/M5/RS6 or 7-Series/S-Class. For a car that size they should at least have the option to spec a 3 seat rear bench like you can with the BMW X6 and 5-SeriesGT.

I agree to that. However, If this really proves a problem to a large number of potential buyers it will be very easy to convert and add to the options list.

--

So let me see if I get this right, the Panamera would be a "better" Porsche with these specs ???:

1. BMW 5series size

2. 100-200 kg less weight

3. 3 seats in the back or at least a 3 seat option

Yep, I think this would make the Panamera more attractive.

--

I agree with these points, but in the U.S. the Panamera is not big at all by comparison to other four door cars.  Regarding the three seat option in the back, most owners of these types of sedans (Audi A8, MB S class, Lexus LS, etc.) drive their cars with one or fewer passengers.  These owners like the roominess of a larger car, just like a soccer mom driving her SUV alone.  Don't get me wrong, I don't applaud the practice, but will also admit that I drive my CTTS alone much of the time.  My guess is that Porsche did extensive market segment research on the Panamera, and determined that five passengers are rarely transported in luxury four door sedans in the U.S.   I also guess that the owners of such cars view them as their personal cars for business or occasion purposes--and not as family cars.  Other cars in the family do the transporting of kids or groups of people. 

I can't talk about other countries/regions but in Germany, there are actually two categories of people who are driving a sedan like the 7 series or S class: businessmen or people who need more room for the family.

During the current financial crisis and the touchy people around us, I don't think that businessmen actually would choose the Panamera over the BMW 7 series or Mercedes S class. Look at how many people actually went for a BMW X5 M in Germany, this car sells better than the X6 M for various reasons. People driving such cars want to "blend in", they don't want to attract too much attention.

The Panamera is one of these cars...well...

Regarding "blending in" (a funny story but actually sad): today I had to work til noon. One of my favorite customers (she leaves a lot of money on the shelves ) came in, she is a baroness (real one) and drives a Bentley Continental GT Coupe. Perfect match. When she saw today the Mini Cooper S on my parking lot, she was very surprised and asked me what happened to the Cayenne. I told her that I sold it. Now can you imagine what the dear baroness tells me ? "Oh good god, finally you sold this "stinker", it was an abomination of a Porsche." I was shocked, didn't even know what to say. I actually wanted to tell her that I somehow miss my Cayenne but after these words, I just kept my mouth shut. If somebody like her, driving a Bentley, thinks such a thing, what do you think other people over here think ?

On a more positive side: my daughter cried almost an hour after I left my Cayenne Turbo S at my BMW dealer. Surprisingly, my son, who is actually more into cars, cares only about one thing: is the X5 M faster than our old Cayenne, he asked me. I told him yes. He smiled and didn't cry a tear over the Cayenne. Kids...you never know...

--

Very sad story, RC.  I hope you find a way to feel good about Porsche in your unsupportive environment.  I am sure it is troubling, even infuriating, to be watched, resented and insulted by your clients and neighbors. 

I recall feeling like you in Memphis, Tennessee, in the 1970's when so many folks mocked and teased people who were black, or who believed in improved opportunities for black people.  I ultimately chose to leave the city and relocate my family elsewhere-which I have never regretted.  I am certainly not advocating that you move--I am just saying I can relate to your situation and the "pressure" exerted by others. 

Wonderbar:

Very sad story, RC.  I hope you find a way to feel good about Porsche in your unsupportive environment.  I am sure it is troubling, even infuriating, to be watched, resented and insulted by your clients and neighbors. 

I recall feeling like you in Memphis, Tennessee, in the 1970's when so many folks mocked and teased people who were black, or who believed in improved opportunities for black people.  I ultimately chose to leave the city and relocate my family elsewhere-which I have never regretted.  I am certainly not advocating that you move--I am just saying I can relate to your situation and the "pressure" exerted by others. 

What's even more sad is the fact that roughly one in seven people in Germany are dependent on their car industry (and especially the expensive, profitable models that this same industry produces) for their income. Talk about biting the hand that feeds youSmiley

Wonderbar:

It is actually interesting that you mention it, Sydney. Yes, this is some sort of materialistic racism which happens over here. Apparently it is not politically correct to go after foreigners or different races, so they go after non-living things like SUVs, big houses, nice cars, etc. etc. etc. Never actually thought about it until you brought it up. Very sad indeed and even more sad when you think that this can actually change in an instant, being directed against living things (humans) again.

Germans aren't racist at all, at least most people I know, don't get me wrong. They are however very "occupied" with politics, the environment and their surrounding. This doesn't have to be a bad thing but some people apparently have too much time on their hands.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764976 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436955 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261263 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258118 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82715 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877262 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809444 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM