Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

997.2 Turbo vs GT-R vs R8 V10 by Autocar

--
    Dedi La vita è troppo corta per non guidare italiano.....

Re: 997.2 Turbo vs GT-R vs R8 V10 by Autocar

"I am going to drive the GT-R first because it's the benchmark".... Smiley

Oops Porsche... Normally I don't take Autocar too seriously... BUT... I like this video and I think reflects very well a real life fact. The average driver will get scared by how twitchy the 911 gets and will drive slower in real life compared with the same guy in a GT-R. That car it's easier to drive fast by an average driver on bumpy roads or on roads with less traction (wet, dusty, snowy, icy, etc.).

And I don't like the GT-R. I would buy instead a 911S for the same money. But that's just me. Facts are facts.

--
    There is no try. Just do.

Pentium:

Oops Porsche... Normally I don't take Autocar too seriously... BUT... I like this video and I think reflects very well a real life fact. The average driver will get scared by how twitchy the 911 gets and will drive slower in real life compared with the same guy in a GT-R. That car it's easier to drive fast by an average driver on bumpy roads or on roads with less traction (wet, dusty, snowy, icy, etc.).

And I don't like the GT-R. I would buy instead a 911S for the same money. But that's just me. Facts are facts.

They should have at least mentioned that the GTR needs UHP tires to gain .3s on the 997TT on regular street tires... Would have changed the summarizing statement quite a bit, I guess Smiley

Markus,

Did you read comparison in latest AMS? Comments about GT-R are interesting:"Bie schnellen runden auf der Nordschleife im Rahmen eines Vergleichestestes uberhitze das Getriebe so stark, dass der GT-R nur noch im Notlaufprogramm an die Box humpelte."

Huh...

KresoF1:

Markus,

Did you read comparison in latest AMS? Comments about GT-R are interesting:"Bie schnellen runden auf der Nordschleife im Rahmen eines Vergleichestestes uberhitze das Getriebe so stark, dass der GT-R nur noch im Notlaufprogramm an die Box humpelte."

Huh...

What that means?

J.Seven

KresoF1:

Markus,

Huh...

SmileySmileySmileySmiley

J.Seven:
    KresoF1:

Markus,

Huh...

What that means?

J.Seven

Would read as: "Fast laps on the NBR during a comparison test resulted in an overheating gearbox which caused the GTR tp switch to an emergency programm and forced us to return with very slow speed"

MKSGR:
    Pentium:

They should have at least mentioned that the GTR needs UHP tires to gain .3s on the 997TT on regular street tires... Would have changed the summarizing statement quite a bit, I guess Smiley

But the Turbo is lighter and slightly more powerfull.

MKSGR:
    J.Seven:
    KresoF1:

Markus,

Huh...

What that means?

J.Seven

Would read as: "Fast laps on the NBR during a comparison test resulted in an overheating gearbox which caused the GTR tp switch to an emergency programm and forced us to return with very slow speed"

Dose this mean that the Turbo has a better gearbox while the GTR has a better AWD system or a better suspenson setting?

Buterworth:
    MKSGR:
    J.Seven:
    KresoF1:

Markus,

Huh...

What that means?

J.Seven

Dose this mean that the Turbo has a better gearbox while the GTR has a better AWD system or a better suspenson setting?

I does mean that the GTR cannot be driven hard on the track without overheating... Same problem as reported here before (I personally know two GTR owners who complain about the same problem).

2011 GTR have another system of tranny cooling to solve this issue...

MKSGR:

Except the facts are that the tyres on the Porsche (Bridgestone RE050) are softer/stickier than the GTRs Dunlops. UTOQ Tyre ratings of 140 vs 200 as per Tirerack (lower = softer).

I've had both 996 and 997 GT2s and now have a GTR and frankly I'm a bit sick of all the pointless GTR vs Porsche debates, they are both great cars, in different ways.

Guy:

Except the facts are that the tyres on the Porsche (Bridgestone RE050) are softer/stickier than the GTRs Dunlops. UTOQ Tyre ratings of 140 vs 200 as per Tirerack (lower = softer).

I've had both 996 and 997 GT2s and now have a GTR and frankly I'm a bit sick of all the pointless GTR vs Porsche debates, they are both great cars, in different ways.

For what it's worth, treadwear ratings vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.  You can not compare the Bridgestone rating to the Dunlop rating.  The Dunlops on the GT-R have been said to be the equal of the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups where grip is concerned.

Guy:

Except the facts are that you can't compare UTQG ratings between manufacturer's because each manufacturers assigns a different scale to their ratings (and with marketing bias) because they are based on observed results extrapolated from initial wear (its like directly comparing Celcius degrees and Farenheight degress) and vary completely from one manufacturer to another, so they are ONLY moderately helpful when comparing tires from the SAME manufacturer.

--

Carlos from Spain:
    Guy:

Except the facts are that you can't compare UTQG ratings between manufacturer's because each manufacturers assigns a different scale to their ratings (and with marketing bias) because they are based on observed results extrapolated from initial wear (its like directly comparing Celcius degrees and Farenheight degress) and vary completely from one manufacturer to another, so they are ONLY moderately helpful when comparing tires from the SAME manufacturer.

And tread wear ratings are meant to be just that anyway, so who is to say that the tread wear rate is directly but inversely proportional to tire tread-material softness, or that grip is directly proportional to softness?  Smiley

--

fritz

Good point as well, my PS2 have better grip and handling than the S02 I have used in the past yet the actual tire wear is much better in my PS2.

--

What I found interesting viewing the video was how bumpy the 911 ride was. In the 911, his body was literally jumping up and down. That was not the case in the other two cars. 

That said, it does appear that Porsche has finally caught up to the GT-R.

--

997.2 Turbo put up some crazy acceleration results in this test again, considering conditions were not really good (not grippy surface, slightly uphill, bumpy road).

0-100mph in 7,1s with not the best launch. Autozeitung results of 6,8s for 0-160km/h now seems a little bit more real.

Smiley

Does the turbo they tested has PTV (torque vectoring ) ?

ive owned a 997.1 turbo and a 2009 gt-r(both gone sadly).ive driven both cars back to back and from my butt-o-meter i can tell you that the turbo felt a lot lots quicker in a straigh line. The gt-r goes around a corner like its on rails(but its uncomfortable on the road,suspension is very stiff for a road car) much quicker than the turbo(part of the reason is the gtr gives you a lot of confidence when nearing the limit while in the turbo it feels like it will snap out and kill you any moment to an average driver like me :)

i dont want to sound biased here but i enjoyed driving the gt-r more ,i did not like the lag in the turbo(too much lag) and my biggest mistake was to buy an auto which quite frankly felt like a mercedes slush box(maybe thats y i didnt enjoy driving it as much). To me this new turbo seems to have gained most of its time over the old 1 on the straights and also with the help of pdk.also on a damp or wet road(dont remember exactly) the gt-r is worst than 911 turbo,even though i had the bridgstones which are supposed to handle better in the wet,it was not at all confidence inspiring,this fact is also further evident from a sportauto article i read.

Regarding the issue with tyres,yes it makes the biggest difference in handling,but we should only consider the ones which are installed and recommended by the manufacturer at the time of purchase.

Ive been on gt3 forums as much as gt-r and talking about reliability none of these cars(gt-r,911 turbo) are reiliable or track cars anyway.even gt2 or gt3 in stock form will not last long on the track,the breaks crack very easily,the tyres will not last long(80? threadwear).the gtr gearbox  overheats on the track(though i have not experianced this thing as i dont track, only do spirited drives but they still changed my trans oil Twice in 4km(very very expensive) and the breaks cracked,tyres where worn, those @%#$% money hoggers nissan charge to much for service).

My 911 turbo sprung a leak somewhere in the middle of the motorway,engine overheated and had to be rebuilt(this was a brand new car,i followed the breakin procedure too and after just 2000km this happened so dont talk about reliablity issues,every car has it) infact supercars are the most unreliable but ppl still pay millions for it.

I would just like to conclude after going to both the gt-r and porsche forums and going through them quite extensibly both of you are very delusional lol,both of you have the best cars in your own mind so why do you need to prove it?The fact of the matter is that if you have something of competitive nature(cars of relative simialr perfomance in this case) youd like it to be better than the next persons' and this makes you feel better and also to justify your time spent with the car you love or loyalty or whatever and it has been scientifically proven(ok it hasnt im just making this up lol).

ok ok so i made all this up,i have nothing better to do rite now so i wrote all that crap you see above.hehe thanks for your time.

nberry:

What I found interesting viewing the video was how bumpy the 911 ride was. In the 911, his body was literally jumping up and down. That was not the case in the other two cars. 

That said, it does appear that Porsche has finally caught up to the GT-R.

Yes, I noticed that too.

JUST... I had a chance to drive GT-R twice and that car is definitely way stiffer in suspension then 997.2 Turbo, IMHO even stiffer then 997.2 GT3.

ALL other magazine form Continental Europe claim the same-that GT-R is much stiffer and uncomfortable in comparison with 997.2 Turbo.

Other thing is Steve... IMHO he is clearly biased from the start. I want say that he do not know how to drive 997.2 Turbo right-but, it is almost the case. I expected much more from Steve...

Nissan spends too much in the UK to get the job accomplished

--

http://i28.tinypic.com/166k5zo.png

fun2k:

ive owned a 997.1 turbo and a 2009 gt-r(both gone sadly).ive driven both cars back to back and from my butt-o-meter i can tell you that the turbo felt a lot lots quicker in a straigh line. The gt-r goes around a corner like its on rails(but its uncomfortable on the road,suspension is very stiff for a road car) much quicker than the turbo(part of the reason is the gtr gives you a lot of confidence when nearing the limit while in the turbo it feels like it will snap out and kill you any moment to an average driver like me :)

i dont want to sound biased here but i enjoyed driving the gt-r more ,i did not like the lag in the turbo(too much lag) and my biggest mistake was to buy an auto which quite frankly felt like a mercedes slush box(maybe thats y i didnt enjoy driving it as much). To me this new turbo seems to have gained most of its time over the old 1 on the straights and also with the help of pdk.also on a damp or wet road(dont remember exactly) the gt-r is worst than 911 turbo,even though i had the bridgstones which are supposed to handle better in the wet,it was not at all confidence inspiring,this fact is also further evident from a sportauto article i read.

Regarding the issue with tyres,yes it makes the biggest difference in handling,but we should only consider the ones which are installed and recommended by the manufacturer at the time of purchase.

Ive been on gt3 forums as much as gt-r and talking about reliability none of these cars(gt-r,911 turbo) are reiliable or track cars anyway.even gt2 or gt3 in stock form will not last long on the track,the breaks crack very easily,the tyres will not last long(80? threadwear).the gtr gearbox  overheats on the track(though i have not experianced this thing as i dont track, only do spirited drives but they still changed my trans oil Twice in 4km(very very expensive) and the breaks cracked,tyres where worn, those @%#$% money hoggers nissan charge to much for service).

My 911 turbo sprung a leak somewhere in the middle of the motorway,engine overheated and had to be rebuilt(this was a brand new car,i followed the breakin procedure too and after just 2000km this happened so dont talk about reliablity issues,every car has it) infact supercars are the most unreliable but ppl still pay millions for it.

I would just like to conclude after going to both the gt-r and porsche forums and going through them quite extensibly both of you are very delusional lol,both of you have the best cars in your own mind so why do you need to prove it?The fact of the matter is that if you have something of competitive nature(cars of relative simialr perfomance in this case) youd like it to be better than the next persons' and this makes you feel better and also to justify your time spent with the car you love or loyalty or whatever and it has been scientifically proven(ok it hasnt im just making this up lol).

ok ok so i made all this up,i have nothing better to do rite now so i wrote all that crap you see above.hehe thanks for your time.

Your 911 turbo was overheating ? you didn't go off-road now did you ?

but then again who in the uae knows how to drive a car without abusing and wrecking it the same year and giving it the same treatment ase a land cruiser pick up

Sorry, but in the uae 80% of the drivers aren't qualified to drive not in a straight line or on the track.

--

http://i28.tinypic.com/166k5zo.png

Yes i agree the gt-r is very stiff,when i bought the car i read a lot of reviews in american mags where they said it was very comfortable(yeah if you are comparing it to a go kart),bloody liars this car is stiffer than an lp640.there is infact no perceptible difference in comfort mode vs normal.the only time you could tell is if you are going on a speed bump and that is also very very slight. i guess for such a heavy car you have to have stiffer suspension or else all that weight is going to make it roooooooll. i was stupid  believe that it would be comfortable for DD,definitely usable for everyday but not confortable.

But due to this weight and the longer wheelbase of the gt-r makes it very very stable over bumbs.i have experienced this when i went over huge bump in the middle of the road next to where i live at high speed and it didnt upset the car at all.i went through the same bump unintentionally at much less speed on a 1560kg car (bmw1 series) and literally both my right tyres where in the air(almost lost it).

Oh and we need to see dry weather comparison.

Yes i went on the dunes with my turbo and beat all the land cruiser guys in a 0-60 dragSmiley

Actually its a long story but short verions is this.

i sold my turbo through a showroom,the buyer paid deposit and took it for test drive,during that time the water leaked, engine overheated.he did not stop the car when engine light came on,  he was taking it back to showroom(thats what i was told).anyways because he didnt stop the engine when light came on so porsche did not honor the warranty and it cost him for the rebuilt engine. the way i see it is the water shouldnt have leaked in the first place if theres no accident which porsche did a full check up of and would have easily found out. well the guy said to hell with porsche and he modded the car to his delight.<---Thats actually the full story ,did i say short version??

lol i agree on the drivers here,but I bought this car brand new from the dealer and it had done only 2000km when i sold it,so i know how it was driven, and im not from the u.a.e.

fun2k:

You can order the 997TT with Pirelli Corsa and Michelin PS Cup as well. These are OEM approved and recommended tires Smiley Nothing special really.

fun2k:

Ive been on gt3 forums as much as gt-r and talking about reliability none of these cars(gt-r,911 turbo) are reiliable or track cars anyway.even gt2 or gt3 in stock form will not last long on the track,the breaks crack very easily,the tyres will not last long(80? threadwear).

You might ant to focus on the "better" forums then (like ours) Smiley The information on track qualities of Porsche cars given to you on this other forum is simply wrong Smiley

BiTurbo:
    fun2k:

Your 911 turbo was overheating ? you didn't go off-road now did you ?

but then again who in the uae knows how to drive a car without abusing and wrecking it the same year and giving it the same treatment ase a land cruiser pick up

Sorry, but in the uae 80% of the drivers aren't qualified to drive not in a straight line or on the track.

Maybe he used a lighter to overheat the turbo Smiley

MKSGR:
    fun2k:

You can order the 997TT with Pirelli Corsa and Michelin PS Cup as well. These are OEM approved and recommended tires Smiley Nothing special really.

Oh i didnt know that,which tyres where they using for this test?and wouldnt cup perform worst in this damp condition??

i didnt get a choice of tyres when i ordered my gt3 (ariving this month btw Smiley).its either corsa or cup.

i didnt need a lighter,temp in the summers can reach as high as 50deg celc over here in the desertSmiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688821 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408826 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255578 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234833 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65428 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4638 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857673 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773572 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM