Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: Please talk me out of the 3.8 RS

I respectfully disagree with the posts that encourage you buy the RS. No doubt it is a good track car but the benefits over your GT3 are at best minimal. The driving experience will almost  be the same since your GT3 is also a good track car.

Performance may be marginally better depending on you're driving skills. However, on public roads it is doubtful you will notice any difference other than other drivers gawking at you with that huge tail fin and wondering whether you made the wrong turn on the track putting you on a public street.

Save your money until the new 911 comes out in a couple years.

--

Broadly agree with you Nick except that the new 911 will be better - but in terms of performance the car will be much better planted on track thanks to the wider downforce and wider stands be faster and "easier" to drive than PJs car. he will for sure gain several seconds per lap on the NoS, higher corner speeds, etc. But then these decisions are not rationally taken but pure emotions and desire. this is the ultimate drivers car if you want to go all out fast and can drive. Both which holds true for Achim... Nothing like it even the poser Ferrari if you want to do '00s of laps on the Ring each year.  This will be the last great one despite the added electronics.

The only thing which I don't like about the car as said before is price and colors  both taking the customer for a ride as the Americans like to say

--
    Off enjoying my car...

The difference between the 997GT3 and the RS on the Ring was about 2 seconds. However, I do agree that with the increased hp and other "technical advances" second generation will perform better. The question is it worth increased cost? it is one thing to buy a new RS out right but another to absorb what could be a significant loss on the GT3 to get into the RS II with additional cost.SmileySmiley

--

Joost:

PJ, does it help if I told you that you would actually buy a renault?

Comparing this with the 997.2 GT3 RS reminds me of that hilarious movie, Twins, starring Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny DeVito. All the good DNA went into Arnie's character and the genetic cr*p that was left over went into Danny Devito's character

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S Coupe GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

easy_rider911:

Comparing this with the 997.2 GT3 RS reminds me of that hilarious movie, Twins, starring Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny DeVito. All the good DNA went into Arnie's character and the genetic cr*p that was left over went into Danny Devito's character

Smiley

Achim,

it´s astonishing to see how your commitment to Porsche has developed from the first debates about the 987 to your current GT3. Now I only have to wait to see you on podium in the Supercup.

I assume the RS Mk.2 will be the improved version of your current ride, not sure how much better in subjective terms the car will be. I suspect the weight loss and increased track will make for the biggest difference.

For me, the key questions would revolve around terms of use and price difference. I agree about your considerations that this particular model might be the last die-hard 911, if it is financially reasonable pull the plug. I believe you´ll do anyways...

Ferdie:

it´s astonishing to see how your commitment to Porsche has developed from the first debates about the 987 to your current GT3. 

Very perceptive observation Smiley It makes me wonder how P-J managed to satisfy his automotive 'cravings' before he first got his 987.1 S Smiley

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S Coupe GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

dreamcar:

.... I am trying (unsuccessfully, and for all the right reasons)  Smiley to convince SWMBO that I should get a Cayman S PDK +LSD...Smiley

@dreamcar: I assume a new Cayman S with PDK and some other options etc will cost about GBP 50k. For the same money, why not consider a 2-3 year old 997.1 TT?

--

Porsche-Jeck:

Should have tried to get the huge wallpaper - the wifey may make herself better familiar with the view before I might pull the trigger Smiley

13-poster.jpg

The pictures are awesome of both the cars! Smiley

This poster or wallpaper also interested me. Do any of you know where it is possible to get a hold of something like that? We´re moving to a new house in about a month, and I think there is a perfect spot for it there. Smiley I´m not kidding, if anybody has any ideas I appreciate it. Smiley

--

Anne Smile 
    '09 997 Carrera S, GT Silver 
    x '08 Porsche Cayman S Design Edition 1

Anne:
    The pictures are awesome of both the cars! Smiley

This poster or wallpaper also interested me. Do any of you know where it is possible to get a hold of something like that? We´re moving to a new house in about a month, and I think there is a perfect spot for it there.  I´m not kidding, if anybody has any ideas I appreciate it. Smiley

If you have a digital copy of the photo you like, you can try to find a local printer or an online service to print a photo wallpaper for you.

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2007/05/last_year_we_de/

http://www.bagsoflove.co.uk/interiors/photos-on-wallpaper.aspx

Good idea, thanks! Smiley

I just have to find the perfect photo then..... 

--

Anne Smile 
    '09 997 Carrera S, GT Silver 
    x '08 Porsche Cayman S Design Edition 1

Ferdie:

Achim,

it´s astonishing to see how your commitment to Porsche has developed from the first debates about the 987 to your current GT3. Now I only have to wait to see you on podium in the Supercup.

I assume the RS Mk.2 will be the improved version of your current ride, not sure how much better in subjective terms the car will be. I suspect the weight loss and increased track will make for the biggest difference.

For me, the key questions would revolve around terms of use and price difference. I agree about your considerations that this particular model might be the last die-hard 911, if it is financially reasonable pull the plug. I believe you´ll do anyways...

SmileySmiley

I also agree what nberry said, I dont know what exact economical difference there is between your 997.1 gt3 vs the 997.2 gt3 rs, but if that's too big, or even big, I would not switch this early....I'm sure the difference to upgrading to the new RS will probably allow you to buy a 987.1 boxster, that's for sure....so in my case, unless you are REALLY THINKING WITH THE HEART, I would do it( ok, this is the main reason why people buy this type of beastsSmiley)

Honestly, I dont know if the differences in performance are going to be that huge regarding your beast, so that is why I would probably safe €, enjoy your beast, and wait for the 991 GT3 in 2.5-3 years from now Smiley

--

My dear friends - fantastic comments, I really appreciate every post from you Smiley Shows why RT is so much better compared to other car forum sites Smiley 

Sorry to reply with so much delay, but I'm still thinking Smiley Can't tell how much I love my wife - she showed me tonight how she would spec the RS - brilliant Smiley

Carrara White - Guards Red contrast colour and (most important) silver rims - looks awesome Smiley

Reserved an RS allocation yesterday - I'll give myself another week to pull the trigger Smiley

--
    public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Porsche-Jeck:

My dear friends - fantastic comments, I really appreciate every post from you Smiley Shows why RT is so much better compared to other car forum sites Smiley 

Sorry to reply with so much delay, but I'm still thinking Smiley Can't tell how much I love my wife - she showed me tonight how she would spec the RS - brilliant Smiley

Carrara White - Guards Red contrast colour and (most important) silver rims - looks awesome Smiley

Reserved an RS allocation yesterday - I'll give myself another week to pull the trigger Smiley

Go for it, it's a dream car Smiley

rs.jpgrs2.jpg

Very nice! The decals actually look nice now!  I also agree - the silver wheels are key! 

--

Porsche-Jeck:

Great combo :-)

Here is pictures of my x-GT3RS. gt3rs_kjetil.jpggt3rs2.jpg

Porsche-Jeck:

Achim - you will be doing your holidays at the Ring for years to come SmileySmiley

If you are really pulling the trigger - god bless you - then the proposed color sheme is the only one to go for (would opt for a black cage though). As you will then have to keep the car for a while I would also spec it exactly the way you like it (without PCCB for me though Smiley) and tick the Stuttgart pick-up box. Nothing like driving your car of the factory lot.

Funny, 1 summer ago you were still a driving chicane on the ring in your little boxer, top down and all, and now it looks like next year you will be the designated Ring Taxi for Rennteam SmileySmileySmiley

--
    Off enjoying my car...

Mrs PJ has great taste - what a superb colour combination. Smiley That car is made for you, Achim I do hope you commit. Especially now that son-in-law is confirmed to move to Bruggen next May and we'll be over there next June.....Smiley

--
    Boxster S 3.4 06 Cobalt / Ocean Blue (Zuffenhausen collection)  BMW 123d M Sport 08 Le Mans Blue / Lemon

Hey Porsche-Jeck, have you pulled the trigger? Smiley

RSWR1.jpg

SmileySmileySmiley

c4c:

Hey Porsche-Jeck, have you pulled the trigger? Smiley

SmileySmileySmiley

He hasn't asked me yet?

--

http://www.phrog.co.uk

Digging out the old thread Smiley

Didn't pull the trigger a couple of months ago but now could put my hands on a RS ready for delivery in June for a "special" price Smiley Of course the car is already specced - quite naked (just as I like this playmate Smiley). Colour: Carrara White / White Gold. The White Gold is not my favourite but I guess it's quite irrelevant when you run down the Foxhole Smiley 

Will have some nights with very few sleep - should I do it ?  

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

I say go for it !! imagine how much fun it would be down the ring !!

normalCAR10VFV.jpg

I quite like white/white gold

Enmanuel:

No imagination needed Smiley Had some nice laps chasing/getting chased by a Swedish RS in exactly this clolour combo last weekend on the 'Ring Smiley
    I did 17 laps last weekend and exactly 3 cars did overtake me: a 620 hp GT-R Smiley the "Biene Maja" Porsche (Edo Competítion Porsche) and....the new RS. The GT-R is not an endurance car (and ugly...), the Edo Porsche is crazy money, hence only one choice left Smiley Still...I'm not a MikeS....lot of money for a toy....good thing is my better half fully supports the madness Smiley

Really can't tell how much I love the combination of NoS+GT-Porsche - it IS the ultimate in driving fun for any sport driver Smiley The more I drive there, the more my love for the GT-Porsches grows - NOTHING can touch these cars on the holy tarmac Smiley 

--

Porsche-Jeck:
    Enmanuel:

No imagination needed Smiley Had some nice laps chasing/getting chased by a Swedish RS in exactly this clolour combo last weekend on the 'Ring Smiley
    I did 17 laps last weekend and exactly 3 cars did overtake me: a 620 hp GT-R Smiley the "Biene Maja" Porsche (Edo Competítion Porsche) and....the new RS. The GT-R is not an endurance car (and ugly...), the Edo Porsche is crazy money, hence only one choice left Smiley Still...I'm not a MikeS....lot of money for a toy....good thing is my better half fully supports the madness Smiley

Really can't tell how much I love the combination of NoS+GT-Porsche - it IS the ultimate in driving fun for any sport driver Smiley The more I drive there, the more my love for the GT-Porsches grows - NOTHING can touch these cars on the holy tarmac Smiley 

Well then i cant wait for your lap times in the new toy Smiley

Good choice on the RS.  I got mine 6 weeks ago and still very very happy.

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe #13

PJ, this is so funny. You know how they say that hind-sight is 20/20, well this is the perfect example.

I re-read the whole thread and at first folks were saying the new RS should be this or that. Well now, after many have taken delivery, as Targa Tim above, the online reports are unanimous, the RS IS a better car. Where the .1 RS was apparently marginally better than the regular GT3, it seems that the .2 RS is noticeably better than the regular 3.

While a better performer on the track with better turn-in, better gearing, more hp and downforce, it is reportedly also a better driver on the road.

Back in October, you had reason to hesitate. Now, you have no excuse!

--

Slow In, Fast Out

Porsche-Jeck:
    Enmanuel:

You should do it Smiley I want to make it a little bit easier for you: this car (RS) is also quite rare. Talked to a Porsche dealer recently who told me that they sold about 5 cars this year but will not get any more cars this year. Thus, buying one of these great cars might be a smart choice regarding resale value... The best of the last kind - the new 991 GT3 might look quite a bit different (engine, gear-box etc.) Smiley

PJ,

I drive a standard 997 and every time I am on a track or better: after the event I think by myself : Get something more powerful etc. - then, on second thought I remember the old saying of ..."there is always a bigger fish" ... and, "I already have a hell of a car !!"  In your case - hey, what the heck, if you have the money and you want to spend it and the offer is good: Make an end to this thread and go for it (and open up a new thread "my new king of the ring")...!!!

@P-J: I can think of no better person (i.e. you ) and no better purpose and place (i.e. the Green Hell ) to justify buying a 997.2 GT3 RS.

All those who watched a video I posted of you casually driving round the Nordschleife on a tourist lap were marvelling at your driving ability and knowledge of the sacred tarmac  Heaven only knows what you could do on a full-on time attack lap in a 997.2 GT3 RS  (Next time I visit the Nordschleife with you, we'll film it  Okay )

I know you have extracted the maximum possible pleasure on the Nordschleife from your 987S and then from your 997.1 GT3  I think this will be a really good step up for you ... until such time as the 991.1 GT3 RS comes out  

The main issues are affordability and spousal backing. You already have the latter in the bag since your better half is as much of a petrolhead as you are  We each married the right kind of wife  

So I guess you just need to go through the figures and see whether they add up - and crucially that you don't lose too much on selling the 997.1 GT3  But, if you can resolve this aspect, then I think, in your case, this decision is a no-brainer.

But, I wonder P-J, is there any other factor holding you back? Why hesitate over something that you have so much passion for? Weighing up the increased performance vs the depreciation hit is a bean counters calculation since you can't factor in the increased pleasure you will enjoy - that part of the equation is priceless

But, enjoy the agony my friend - it's a wonderful predicament to be in ... should I keep a 997.1 GT3 or should I upgrade to a 997.2 GT3 RS

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777428 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441772 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262803 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261005 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85271 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5592 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880686 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816061 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM