Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Latest Audi RS5 spyshots

You can never judge a car's acceleration by the flywheel toque figure as this is then multiplied by the gearbox. The only reliable way of estimating acceleration is by dividing the weight of the car with the power (and not torque!) of the engine. Of course other factors, such as traction weigh in, but the power to weight ratio is the best theoretical performance figure estimation method.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

And the simplest one. The lighter the better! Presuming it is good enough in transfering that to the road

I have mixed feelings about that car. I know MTM offers a supercharger mod for S5 that gives you 500HP. OK they went with a high revving engine, but why exactly? This is a pretty heavy car, not exactly a car you should go for if you want a go-kart feel... They can't accomplish that, but will they lose the muscle car feel with this kind of engine concept? Also I know its mostly a non issue but I expect fuel consumption will be through the roof on this one!

And what does this mean for MTM, how much more do you guys expect they will up this one?

--
    Cash, gas or ass... no one rides for free!

janus:

And the simplest one. The lighter the better! Presuming it is good enough in transfering that to the road

I have mixed feelings about that car. I know MTM offers a supercharger mod for S5 that gives you 500HP. OK they went with a high revving engine, but why exactly? This is a pretty heavy car, not exactly a car you should go for if you want a go-kart feel... They can't accomplish that, but will they lose the muscle car feel with this kind of engine concept? Also I know its mostly a non issue but I expect fuel consumption will be through the roof on this one!

And what does this mean for MTM, how much more do you guys expect they will up this one?

My guess is less than their R8 tune and more than their RS4 tune, so probably in the 540-550PS/HP range.  Smiley

--

1997 993 TT Proto 3.8L 700HP

2005 996 TSCab EVO GT700

2006 Noble M400 "M600" 573RWHP

2007 Audi RS4 MTM exhaust/clutch/LWFW

Kreso, whatever happened to RS3?  Is Audi releasing that soon?  Maybe I can buy that with the RS5 as a package.

WAY:

Kreso, whatever happened to RS3?  Is Audi releasing that soon?  Maybe I can buy that with the RS5 as a package.

There wont be RS3 in current A3 range. You will have to wait for next gen of A3.

My advice-new Golf R or Scirocco R(if you can live with AWD only in Scirocco R case), both with DSG.

Thanks Kreso.  So all those pics of mules you see aren't real production RS3 then? 

Yeah I am keen on a Golf R in the absense of the RS3.  I miss my Golf GTI actually.  I need another small car!

KresoF1:
    For now just this-engine is 4163ccm V8 FSI HDZ(NA) 331kw(450ps). Gearbox sporty version of 7 speed S Tronic.

Will this engine and tranny take place in R8 V8 in near future??

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Ibis

07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

Is the gearbox similar as new Porsche TT DSG?

--

pride355:
    KresoF1:
    For now just this-engine is 4163ccm V8 FSI HDZ(NA) 331kw(450ps). Gearbox sporty version of 7 speed S Tronic.

NO. Only hope is next gen of R8(if there will be one) in late 2013.

janus:

Only in the fact that it is double clutch with wet clutches.

Porsche PDK is produces by ZF specially for Porsche(currently). S Tronic with 7 speed is Borg Warner design for VAG.

KresoF1:
    janus:

Porsche PDK is produces by ZF specially for Porsche(currently). S Tronic with 7 speed is Borg Warner design for VAG.

It is interesting that this 7 speed Borg Warner DSG didn't take its place in TT-RS.

I heard that VAG Borg Warner DG is not strong enough for excess of 400 NM torque. Therefore there is a torque limiter on S-Tronic that comes with Audi TTS and TT-RS is released only with manual.

However, RS5 disproves the theory.

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Ibis

07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

pride355:
    KresoF1:
    janus:

It is interesting that this 7 speed Borg Warner DSG didn't take its place in TT-RS.

I heard that VAG Borg Warner DG is not strong enough for excess of 400 NM torque. Therefore there is a torque limiter on S-Tronic that comes with Audi TTS and TT-RS is released only with manual.

Hmm... I must correct you little bit...

7 Speed S Tronic with wet clutches in A4/S4/A5/S5/RS5/Q5 is designed for use in longitudinal engine layout only and can be combined with AWD only. It is good for up to 550Nm and 9000rpm.

6 Speed DSG with wet clutches in Golf GTI/GTD/R, Audi S3/TTS etc. is designed only for use in transversal engine layout(AWD and Haldex AWD). It is good for up to 400Nm and 7500rpm.

7 speed DSH with dry clutches in Golf 1.4TSI, Ibiza Cupra etc. is also designed only for use in transversal engine layout. It is good for up to 260Nm and 7500rpm.

There is currently NO DSG strong enough for TT RS. Other problem is sze of that R5 engine since it is little bit longer then R4 from TTS. Simply said there is no room for DSG there(since that DSG needs to be marginally smaller in size then the one in TTS and good for at least 100Nm more).

Very good info Kreso! It really shows how "on edge" these trannies really are.

--

KresoF1:
    pride355:
    KresoF1:
    janus:

Hmm... I must correct you little bit...

7 Speed S Tronic with wet clutches in A4/S4/A5/S5/RS5/Q5 is designed for use in longitudinal engine layout only and can be combined with AWD only. It is good for up to 550Nm and 9000rpm.

6 Speed DSG with wet clutches in Golf GTI/GTD/R, Audi S3/TTS etc. is designed only for use in transversal engine layout(AWD and Haldex AWD). It is good for up to 400Nm and 7500rpm.

7 speed DSH with dry clutches in Golf 1.4TSI, Ibiza Cupra etc. is also designed only for use in transversal engine layout. It is good for up to 260Nm and 7500rpm.

There is currently NO DSG strong enough for TT RS. Other problem is sze of that R5 engine since it is little bit longer then R4 from TTS. Simply said there is no room for DSG there(since that DSG needs to be marginally smaller in size then the one in TTS and good for at least 100Nm more).

THANK YOU for the info Kreso Smiley

I didn't know the differences between the DSG boxes. This clears everything.

I stand corrected Smiley

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Ibis

KresoF1:
    pride355:
    KresoF1:

What do you mean "if there will be one" i was under the impression the R8 was a good seller for Audi. are they considering dropping it, or maybe replacing it ?

Enmanuel:
    KresoF1:
    pride355:
    KresoF1:

What do you mean "if there will be one" i was under the impression the R8 was a good seller for Audi. are they considering dropping it, or maybe replacing it ?

Current chances for R8 replacement is 50/50. We will see...

I'm assuming the R8 situation is because of Porsche. Makes sense. Why cannibalise your own products?

Anybody any info on the pricing of the RS5?  I loved my S5 and this one could get me tempted again, although I'm quite into the idea of getting myself a GT-R after having driven one... even as old Porsche driver I must say it's an excellent and fascinating machine, no question. 

To me these RS5 and the GT-R will be natural competitors: 4seater GTs with boot and AWD and DSG. Whereby I guess the Audi will be more comfortable and spacious, the GT-R sportier and better performing, but the question to me would be by how much??  And who knows, maybe they'll have a similar price. I can't imagine Audi hasn't drawn that comparison themselves...

--
    turbolite

2010 Audi RS5 testing at the Nurburgring...

Smiley SmileySmiley

A few more pics of the Audi RS5 test mule...

AudiRS5spyphoto1.jpg

AudiRS5spyphoto2.jpg

AudiRS5spyphoto3.jpg

AudiRS5spyphoto4.jpg

AudiRS5spyphoto5.jpg

AudiRS5spyphoto6.jpg

SmileySmiley Smiley 

I love it, there seems to be quite a lot of induction noise to be heared? A first for Audi's afaik?

Is it just me or is the test driver throwing the car into the corners then wait for the electronics to sort it out?  Almost look like how Suzuki drives the GT-R.  Does the Audi have GT-R like smart eletronics?

2010 Audi RS5 certainly sounds good in testing...

Smiley SmileySmiley 

I dont know why it takes soooo long to bring out that car. The brilliant looking A5 is already as long on the streets that noone takes care anymore. They should have launched that rocket in Summer 2009!

Anyway - brilliant looking car with lots of talent!

Lars997:

I dont know why it takes soooo long to bring out that car. The brilliant looking A5 is already as long on the streets that noone takes care anymore. They should have launched that rocket in Summer 2009!

Exactly my thoughts Lars.  This car has been taking forever to come out.  Makes you think if this car will arrive with tons of issues.  Looks like they can sort things out in Quattro AG for the RS5.  Although I have heard that it won't come to the U.S. Smiley.

--
    Happy Driving

Maybe the are waiting for the right moment so it would blend in with the rest of them. I remember hearing RS follows that philosophy...

--

Agreed, it may be that the timing of the Audi RS5 has been fine-tuned to blend in with some other interesting cars in the pipeline... 

Smiley

2010 Audi Ur Quattro...

2010-Audi-Ur-Quattro_01.jpg

(5 August 2009)

Ever thought that Audis are a bit on the boring side these days? This one certainly isn't. Project Anniversario is a shot in the arm for Ingolstadt, a hardcore sports coupé carrying on where the ur Quattro and Quattro S1 Rallye left off.

Our artist's impression captures the essence of Project Anniversario – a lighter, stronger, faster Audi S5 Quattro planned for 2012. It was conceived as a back-patting anniversary present to mark Audi's centenary, but that date has now slipped back owing to the global financial slowdown. But the latest intelligence received by CAR suggests that Audi is still deadly seriously about putting the uber-S5 into production.

Project Anniversario: the lowdown

Remember the Quattro S1 Rallye? We certainly do. With a revised version of the original ur-Quattro’s 2.1-litre five-cylinder engine, it kicked out 302bhp over the normal car's 200. The new 2012 car (the neu Quattro?) takes inspiration directly from the S1 with revised body panels, shorter overhangs and a twin-turbo V6 massaged to a fulsome 425bhp.

Project Anniversario is light as well as strong. Audi's engineers are targeting a 1400kg kerbweight; insiders inform us that lighter hang-on body panels, new seats and a revised cabin trim will achieve the 240kg saving over the regular S5. Also in the mix are lighter drivetrain parts, a miniaturised air-con compressor and electrically operated auxiliaries.

Other techincal features under discussion include a Flybrid energy recovery system and a 400bhp version of the TT RS’s five-cylinder turbo.

Visually the new Quattro again takes its inspiration from the S1 with flared wings, bonnet scoops and an angular rear spoiler, depicted in our artist's impression. Rally-inspired alloys finish the purposeful look.

All looks very promising, so why is Audi delaying the project?

As we’ve all noticed, the world is in the grip of the greatest financial depression since the aftermath of WW1. The new model will have to present a solid business case as well as justifying its existence within a Volkswagen group focused on making ecological brand statements. Project Anniversario is signed off and ready to go, but is on hold while the number crunchers do their thing.

If a business case is made, expect to see the uber-Quattro revealed in late 2010 in time for the original Quattro’s 30th anniversary. We can hardly wait...

2010-Audi-Ur-Quattro_article-link

2010-Audi-Ur-Quattro_02.jpg

2010-Audi-Ur-Quattro_03.jpg

2010-Audi-Ur-Quattro_04.jpg

It's also possible that some of the Audi RS5 mules are testing components for Walter Rohrl's new Ur Quattro...

...any excuse for a 1980's Walter Rohrl rally tribute!

Smiley SmileySmiley

Boxster Coupe GTS:

...any excuse for a 1980's Walter Rohrl rally tribute!

Ferdinand Piech wrote in his autobiography about the successor of the Audi SportQuattro in Group B, a mid-engined car with 600 hp (power/weight: 1.6 kg/hp) that had been built as a prototype but withdrawn when Group B was abandoned.

Do some of you have references or links? Smiley

Ron (Houston):
    Lars997:

Exactly my thoughts Lars.  This car has been taking forever to come out.  Makes you think if this car will arrive with tons of issues.  Looks like they can sort things out in Quattro AG for the RS5.  Although I have heard that it won't come to the U.S. Smiley.

All of which is why I went ahead and ordered my S5... 6 more weeks!!! Smiley  

But I wondered as well, Ron, whether the RS5 mules are encountering tech. problems, since I'm not sure the recession alone explains this long development time.  Perhaps the power combined with the new 7-sp. S-tronic is not holding up the way it should.   After Nissan's GT-R tranny problems Audi would not want to step into that publicity mess with the RS5.  

--

Present: 2005 STi,  2002 M Coupe

Future: 2010 Cayman S - pending order;  2010 Audi S5 - on order

Amazing how little it takes for it to look like a complete Mitsubishi!

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777031 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441639 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262749 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260911 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85168 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5547 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880612 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815817 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM