Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Advice on color spec

I know its very subjective but thought if I could get a consensus from the aficionados it would help.

Ordered a December build TT.2 and can't decide whether to go with cocoa interior. I'm definitely having basalt black again, I currently have basalt and sand beige. I saw a basalt and cocoa at the dealers and I loved it. Problem is, two dealers have already suggested that its harder to sell than the standard black/black. Do I follow the heart or the pocket?

Re: Advice on color spec

Just my 2 cents but I personally would not choose Basalt Black and Cocoa. IMHO they don't go well together.  It's a bit like wearing dark brown shoes with a black suit.  Doesn't work IMO. And even if you think it works (because you have seen this colour combination in real life with your own eyes), you should know that there are other colour combinations that not only work too but which work much better!

I have Cocoa in my 997.1 C2S and it goes beautifully with colours like GT Silver (which I have), Arctic Silver, Meteor Grey, Seal Grey (now only colour to sample). 

IMHO Cocoa doesn't have sufficient contrast to make it work with Atlas Grey or Slate Grey either.

All I can say is that Cocoa is a gorgeous, warm, luxurious and rich colour - you'll love it - you will only notice the dark 'marbling' or 'veins' in bright sunlight. However, Cocoa is less flexible than a Black leather interior in that IMHO it goes with a much narrower range of colours.

However, this is just my subjective opinion - it's your choice and whatever appeals to you is what matters.

As for resale values, IMO there are 2 issues you ought to consider: 1) are you planning to keep the car for more than a few years? If so, don't worry about resaleability and resale values since your car will depreciate heavily anyway in the continuing poor financial climate (and OPCs will doubtless fleece you anyway on trade-in); and 2) surely your own pleasure is paramount rather than specifying the car to please the next buyer?

If, however, you only plan to keep the car for 2 years (i.e. for the duration of the warranty) or for the duration of a 3 year lease for instance before trading in, then you may well need to focus more on such pecuniary considerations.

Good luck - and don't forget to post photos when she comes

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S Coupe GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

easy_rider911:

However, this is just my subjective opinion

Do two subjective opinions make for an objective advise ? Smiley Being a happy Cocoa owner myself I only can subscribe to every single word in your post, Easy Smiley
    At least for me it never became boring and after 3 1/2 years and 70,000 km it still looks excellent with only occasional beauty care. Would I get it again: defintely yes Smiley Would I match it with Basalt: no. 

--
    public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

How about terracotta/black combo with Basalt Black?  Check it out on the configurator before you dismiss it!

--

I too am a big cocoa fan. Was not at first but a good friend in the Porsche club has such a fetish and spred it to me. We also have looked at numerous cocoa + xxx paint combinations (yes, ALL the shades of silver's & grey's that Easy mentioned we have looked at). I agree that cocoa may not look good with black; just too dark and not providing a desirable contrast.

In fact my favorite ext. for cocoa would be white, or that champagne like (silver metallic with slight hint of sand/gold) color that's in the Cayenne.
    Interesting that Easy mentioned Slate not being a good choice. My friend picked Slate as best match I think. As Slate has tint of brown, he thought it would go well with brownish cocoa.

Having said all that, my opinion re. OP's question: If you think black and cocoa looks good and if it's a long term ownership, go for it.

Question for the 2 cocoa owners: Do you think it would go with red exterior?

--

Regards,
    Can
    997 Turbo + Bilstein Damptronic ( Review ) + GIAC ECU Tune ( Fast as a torpedo & reversible to stock - Review ) + Cargraphic Exhaust ( Oh heavenly noise! )

I would stick with sand with red...

Sand with reds , blues, blacks, greens and even whites.

Cocoa with silvers, grays and whites (especially the cream white)

If you like Basalt/Sand that you have now, and the next one is Basalt, consider Nat Brown.  It's darker than Sand, has more depth, and is a warmer contrast to Basalt....just my two cents.

--

Eric

Chief Plug Guy

BumperPlugs.com

2004 C4S Cabriolet

Well, it’s unanimous. Basalt and cocoa is a no no!

Ok, so the consensus with basalt black, is black (too depressing imo) or anything light which is basically grey (dull imo), terracotta (too orange imo) or sand.

I intend to keep the car until the 998 is released so my final choice? I have gone with the bi color, sand and black (what a cop out! I love cocoa like some of you others but I agree it’s better with the light colors)

Btw I think Porsche need a deep burgundy in their interior color range like AM.

You can always use the aluminum package along with the aluminum look center console to break up the black interior.

andrew34:

Ok, so the consensus with basalt black, is black (too depressing imo) or anything light which is basically grey (dull imo), terracotta (too orange imo) or sand.

If you think terracotta is too orange (I agree), why don't you choose bicolour terracotta-black? Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

andrew34:

I know its very subjective but thought if I could get a consensus from the aficionados it would help.

Ordered a December build TT.2 and can't decide whether to go with cocoa interior. I'm definitely having basalt black again, I currently have basalt and sand beige. I saw a basalt and cocoa at the dealers and I loved it. Problem is, two dealers have already suggested that its harder to sell than the standard black/black. Do I follow the heart or the pocket?

Then either:

-Basalt Black Metallic with Black leather

or

-Basalt Black Metallic with Black/Sand Beige two tone leather

Of course IMHO.

I agree that Natural Brown would make for a great look.  It's much lighter than Cocoa but darker than Sand.  I would do the dash, doors uppers and carpets in Black with the seats and door lowers in Natural Brown.  That would look uber sharp combo IMHO! 

--

2009 Porsche Turbo Cab - Cargraphic exhaust, HRE P40's charcoal

Shawminator:

I agree that Natural Brown would make for a great look.  It's much lighter than Cocoa but darker than Sand.  I would do the dash, doors uppers and carpets in Black with the seats and door lowers in Natural Brown.  That would look uber sharp combo IMHO! 

That will turn out reminiscent of the "Ascot" brown/black two-tone interior option for the Carrera GT.  Very handsome with a black car.

--

Mike

2005 Carrera GT - Signal Yellow

2008 Tesla Roadster - Thunder Gray

1972 BMW 3.0 CSi - Nachtblau

2009 Bentley Arnage T - Black Saphire

@andrew34: hi, some of the other guys who have posted replies on this thread have given some really good (and IMHO very tasteful) advice Smiley

If Basalt Black and Black doesn't appeal (i.e. you want another colour combination to break the all black look) then I agree with the suggestion to go for Basalt Black and Natural Brown. It's a gorgeous tan colour that, in combination with Basalt Black (or even non-metallic Black paint) is even better than Sand Beige.

I would suggest you go for deviated carpets in Black!

You could also choose some Porsche Exclusive options to pick which areas you want in deviated black leather.

BTW Terracotta only (I agree) is too much of that colour BUT two-tone Terracotta with Black is perfect.

You need to see some pics here on RT of Kinrara's 997.1 TT. It is Basalt Black with bi-colour Terracotta & Black interior plus various deviated Porsche Exclusive leather and carpets. It's one of the most tasteful colour combinations I have ever seen.

Here's a link:

Kinrara's 997.1 TT pics.html

However, if you are sticking with Sand Beige, then I agree with KresoF1 above - you should pick bi-colour Sand Beige & Black instead of just Sand Beige. In strong sunlight, the reflection on the dashboard will bother you. 

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S Coupe GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

cannga:

Interesting that Easy mentioned Slate not being a good choice. My friend picked Slate as best match I think. As Slate has tint of brown, he thought it would go well with brownish cocoa.

@cannga: Hey can, hope you're well Smiley

I have seen some pics of Slate Grey & Cocoa. Yes, Slate Grey has a tiny hint of brown in it BUT it's a very dark grey which means there isn't enough contrast with Cocoa IMHO.

BTW IMHO Guards Red and Cocoa don't blend well.

--

Arshad:

How about terracotta/black combo with Basalt Black?  Check it out on the configurator before you dismiss it!

Glad to hear that others also endorse my view!  I think, especially when seen in the configurator or on a real car, the 2-tone terracotta/black really looks nice. 

--

easy_rider911:
    cannga:

@cannga: Hey can, hope you're well Smiley

I have seen some pics of Slate Grey & Cocoa. Yes, Slate Grey has a tiny hint of brown in it BUT it's a very dark grey which means there isn't enough contrast with Cocoa IMHO.

BTW IMHO Guards Red and Cocoa don't blend well.

Easy,

Doing well, thank you.

Just to needle my friend, the one with the cocoa/slate grey "fetish," I think I am going to forward your comment to him, with the notation "dissenting opinion from a TRUE cocoa connoisseur"! Smiley (He's of the same profession as yours.)

--

Regards,
    Can
    997 Turbo + Bilstein Damptronic ( Review ) + GIAC ECU Tune ( Fast as a torpedo & reversible to stock - Review ) + Cargraphic Exhaust ( Oh heavenly noise! )

LOL

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753207 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430778 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258623 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255476 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79530 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868365 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801944 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM