Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

How often do you speed?

I drove 200 miles today on familiar roads. Must have hit 140mph+ _briefly_ four or five times when ABSOLUTELY NO other traffic was around in either direction. Of course 100+mph is common when there's space to eliminate between me and the car grouping ahead. 

Honestly? Not being 20-something anymore I'm pretty responsible at assessing risk. The only person at risk was myself  if I were to hit an animal or debris or something so I don't feel guilty.   Lemme repeat: there're _never_ any cars around when I hit the gas.  When cars do come around I quickly brake to a sensible 60-70mph)

How 'bout you? How many times do you risk getting "cuffed and stuffed" per linear mile?

Smiley

--
    2007 997 Turbo

Re: How often do you speed?

does it count if traffic laws in my country are useless and totally irrelevant, and anyone can speed anytime without any consequences?  they say if you can drive here without crashing then you can drive anywhere in the world.

I usually go 100mph+ at least once,  every time I take my car out. It is my "weekend" car as they say. When conditions permit, I have gone up to 160. I also am usually quite respectful of other drivers, and don't go above 70-80 when others are around. I also don't weave in and out of traffic at higher speeds either, like I did in my 20's. 

--
    05' C4S

I always "adapt" to traffic and driving conditions. This includes speed traps, video surveillance and other stuff. 

Meaning: I still have my driver's license, never got a suspension, didn't have ANY accident where I was to blame and never had a weird driving situation where I would say to myself "oh boy, this was close". This doesn't mean I'm perfect and there can happen something bad anytime but you can get a brick on your head while walking down the street...what are the odds?! 

I have my driver license for 26 years now, only one "kicked the butt" accident at age 19 (was looking after a hot blonde instead of looking at the traffic in front of me...mea culpa) but since that time...nothing I was to blame for. A drunk driver kicked my car, he passed on a red light and turned me over, resulting in a 200(!) m slide on the roof(!) on a public street in city downtown, car stopped right in front of a bus. I escaped with three broken ribs (thanks to my safety belt) and a lot of pain for a couple of months.

For the first 5 years of driving however, I was VERY VERY lucky I didn't die. I was driving very reckless and head-less, thanks god I didn't have a Porsche by then. The Lancia Delta HF Integrale 16V was "bad" enough for me and my amateur driving skills. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

My friend who daily drives a tuned silver 997GT2 says that he aways sticks to urban speed limits but outside those he will drive to the conditions which with a powerful good handling good stopping car can make 140 a daily occurrence.

Apparently the biggest problem is the Police driving "civvy" cars who increasingly patrol the motorways -  the beauty about having a very fast car is that these "civvy" cars cannot register the very high speeds since they have to reach them to register them.....

About 18 years ago I was driving my 440hp 965 turbo along an empty motorway doing the speed limit when some lads in a souped up hatchback were goading me on - like a fool I decided to play and when they accelerated away I gave them a show of Porsche turbo torque..... I obviously left them grinning and standing but as I rode up through 5th gear I glanced down at the speedo and saw 170mph then I looked in the rear view mirror and saw blue flashing lights in the distance behind.... I had butterflies in my stomach !

I stopped for the civvy cop car it was an Omega 3.0 petrol version, quite fast for the day..... he sat me in the passenger seat and gave me a film show. It was classic, it had his speed in the top right corner and it showed the georgeous fat rear end of the red turbo squatting down and rocketing into the distance then for the next 10 or so seconds he tried to catch up and it was farcical the speed clocked over 110, 111, 112 etc he had no idea how fast I had gone because I had slowed down immediately and the fastest he got to was about 115mph....... he gave me a fine and 3 points.... a good day Smiley

Off topic but I enjoyed recalling that story. My 965 did a magazine test back then (~1992) see below Smiley

Mine is the "mod turbo" in the numbers:

--

2009 997 GT2 659PS/827NM DIN

RC:

For the first 5 years of driving however, I was VERY VERY lucky I didn't die. I was driving very reckless and head-less, thanks god I didn't have a Porsche by then. The Lancia Delta HF Integrale 16V was "bad" enough for me and my amateur driving skills. 

Yes I second that. When I reminisce about my first years of driving, I shiver at the frivolity. I never raced, but I sure wasn't driving as defensive as I am today. Nowadays I regularly frequent track days where I can take the car to its, and my personal limits. This is much safer and keeps my adrenaline rushing and the consequences away from innocent fellow men.

Without wanting to take this thread offtopic, the german RT members here may recall the dreadful accident that has happened just yesterday, in which 4 youngsters have left their lives, the 5th is still in hospital fighting for his. The 19 year old driver had been allowed to take his uncle's Golf out for a spin and he crashed it at a speed of 170 kph if my memory serves me well. I don't want to post pics, since the outcome was fatal, but the Golf was literally chopped in half, and squashed.

--

I learned a lot of car handling from my mustang gt's desire to drift and from growing up in a snowbound area. Driving on snow will teach you well how to handle a car.

The 928 is so solid and planted at speed. You feel absolutely glued to the road. I enjoy accelerating the most 5-70, 50-90 because of the sound and feel and next most enjoyable is long sweeping highway turns because the car performs so well. Long highway on-ramps .  and only when conditions are right and I know the road.

So really fast not so fun, but accelerating or turning more fun, this shot taken 30 seconds before a long highway on-ramp

realworld1.jpg

racerx:

So really fast not so fun, but accelerating or turning more fun, this shot taken 30 seconds before a long highway on-ramp

Yes, excellent point. All of my three digit  "performance driving" Smiley on public highways is accelerating in a straight line. By the time I "get used to" 140+ it's time to brake or risk getting caught or interacting with other traffic.

I love the highway on ramps too, but get a bit anxious about unknowns of road conditions on the curves so I don't get anywhere near the capabilities of the car.

Here's a bet I'll never know the answer to: If I had a cop in my passenger's seat I bet he'd see my decisions informing my high-speed driving as perfectly "reasonable."  Smiley

--
    2007 997 Turbo

Speeding is like manners - there's a time and a place

Daily. Smiley Smiley

--

1997 993 TT Proto 3.8L 700HP

2005 996 TSCab EVO GT700

2006 Noble M400 "M600" 573RWHP

2007 Audi RS4 MTM exhaust/clutch/LWFW

Sl off topic, but most  " speeders " I encounter are actually " weavers " . You know the type - typically young with a " hot " car like mom's old car with a noisy exhaust and darkened windows , doing slaloms in commute traffic .

Must love their low wage job so much that they can't wait to get there.

Smiley

Yup. Smiley

Rule Number One:  Diligently avoid getting noticed by or upsetting other drivers. They have cell phones and can get you stopped.

Why?

AFAIK, Because cops must check you out because of the cell phone complaint even though they didn't see you speeding and can't ticket you.

Then the usual disturbing flashing light fanfare followed by Cop saying, "Just checking to see if you are drunk, sir. We've gotten a call about a Porsche fitting your description driving aggressively ."  Whereafter your only possible "reasonable" response is throwing him the finger mentally. Smiley

--
    2007 997 Turbo

Luckily, in Germany police needs to "catch" you, meaning: they need to have you on tape or on a photo (video surveillance or photo radar). The police radar used in the US, where the cop car measures you from the front or from a stationary car is illegal in Germany. They need a photo or a video.

Even when they "shoot" you with a laser gun, they usually take a photo or a short video.

Laser guns are actually the main problem over here since last time I had an encounter, the two cops were "shooting" at me from a pretty great distance (I'd say at least 1 km or even more). I spotted something weird on a parking lot ahead of me and slowed down. They still stopped me to check my license, etc. but they didn't have any proof  (although they knew since they had a short measurement like one of the cops told me, it wasn't enough for "proof").

Video surveillance? You can sport them pretty easily over here since they usually have a blue LED lamp under the front windshield and especially when the sun shines, the LEDs throw a reflection and you can spot the cop car. I also usually slow down when a car starts to tail me at exactly the same speed but most of the time these are just curious drivers who never saw a Porsche or whatever.  

Photo radar? I have 175% vision sharpness, I usually spot them in time. The last time a photo radar caught me was around 15 years or so ago. 

Which brings me to my point: spotting. If you drive with lots of caution and awareness, you can actually avoid speed traps. This also means that you can avoid other "dangerous" situations. Head-less speeding is not only lame, it is dangerous and stupid.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

RC: Which brings me to my point: spotting. If you drive with lots of caution and awareness, you can actually avoid speed traps. This also means that you can avoid other "dangerous" situations. Head-less speeding is not only lame, it is dangerous and stupid.

Agreed. Smiley Situational awareness is key. I don't want to say I'm nervous but I'm constantly looking for things to go wrong when the speed goes up. Constantly aware of what other cars are  coming into my "situation." Always wary of what's around the curve so I brake to anticipate. No coffee, no radio, both hands on wheel, no "relaxed" (i.e. excessively reclined) seating.

Thanks for the speed detection briefing. Sounds awful. Smiley All we have around here is occasional laser but mostly instant on ambush from regular cop car mounted microwave radar. Easy to avoid: just slow down when you see another car enter your "theater" until it can be identified.

The whole speeding thing is "stupid," when you think of it. I'm not "speeding" I'm just getting somewhere and enjoying it with the proper P-car equipment. I can't help it if the state imposes a ridiculously low speed limit for my equipment, my quality of attention to my driving, my extreme courtesy to other drivers and my constant and frequent re-evaluation of the terrain and conditions.Smiley   

--
    2007 997 Turbo

TB993tt:

Off topic but I enjoyed recalling that story.  

YIKES! Good story. Smiley If that happened to me (rearview mirror cops at 170mph) I would have had a heart attack. Smiley Game over.

I tell myself if I get arrested and have the book thrown at me I'll sell my hot cars and get a crummy little "Smart Car" activate cruise control and never exceed speed limit again and always have ten ordinary low powered cars behind me unable to pass. Of course I'll always pull over and let the _Porsches_ pass me. Smiley

--
    2007 997 Turbo

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690535 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409793 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256044 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235283 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65650 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858465 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774749 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM