Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Porsche Turbo - The Joy of Driving (Review & Pictures)

Was released from work early one day last week and finally had a chance to take my Turbo out to the "country" to let it flex its muscles.
    Since the GIAC flash, I've felt the car could not adequately unwind in Los Angeles traffic, as if constantly there is a monster inside trying to get out.

The day is a "landmark" because although I've had the car for nearly 2 years, it was the first time that I drove it with all mods completed (see my signature). Now, its performance has finally met my expectation of what a Porsche Turbo should be.

On the open road, the car shows enormous power reserve, and that power arrives instantly. The GIAC flash has virtually eliminated all Turbo lag above 3000 rpm. With Bilstein set to firm, GIAC on Sport, it is rather fast & ferocious. Moderately stiff, very noisy, very aggressive, and demands attention every moment of driving. It's a good thing my wife was not in the car because I don't think it would have been possible to carry civilized conversations.Smiley
    The stock Turbo gives you this nice sense of limitless power. Tuning the ECU of the same Turbo with the GIAC flash gives me this feeling of TRULY limitless power Smiley. As I've stated many times, the Metzger turbo engine is the heart and soul of this car. You have got to try it once in your life.
    The car's clutch had slipped when I was being abusive a while ago (slam the throttle at 2000 rpm in fourth gear). In this test drive, with the car driven as aggressive as I could ever be - while still obeying the law , the stock clutch functions perfectly, so I am safe with stock clutch still.

The Bilstein suspension is perfect for someone looking for a street/track combination. Unlike the stock PASM, Bilstein PASM works, and works to perfection. Car is firmer yet does not feel nervous or jittery and intolerably harsh like stock PASM.
    The stiffer coilover has significantly reduced the excessive side to side and front to back movement of the stock car. I actually prefer carving canyon roads to going all out on the straight, so Bilstein remains a most critical addition to the stock Turbo.

I have a lot of appreciation for the Turbo's 4WD system because of its outstanding corner grip. Without 4WD and with this much power, I actually think the car would not be as safe to drive. You really have to be careful in corners with this much power. I followed slow-in fast-out dictum as if my life depends on it.

The beauty of all this is that with 2 button pushes: GIAC to normal, PASM to normal, my Turbo transforms into a docile daily driver.
    There is a certain gentleness to stock level ECU that makes the car "better" in big city freeway, so again I highly encourage those who use the car as daily driver to consider only an ECU mod that could be reversible to stock like GIAC.

I really should do this more often and too bad I was only out there by myself.

08AE4304 PS Desert GIAC CORRUPTS.jpg

--

Regards,
    Can
    997 Turbo + Bilstein Damptronic ( Review ) + GIAC ECU Tune ( Fast as a torpedo & reversible to stock - Review ) + Cargraphic Exhaust ( Oh heavenly noise! )

Re: Porsche Turbo - The Joy of Driving (Review & Pictures)

Info for the photography buffs:
    Camera = Canon 1D, shoot in RAW format.
    Lenses: Canon 85 f/1.2, Contax Distagon 21mm f/2.8

Please set you rennteam image viewing option to 1200 pixel width.

08AE4393-1 PS2 Main 1200.jpg

--

Regards,
    Can
    997 Turbo + Bilstein Damptronic ( Review ) + GIAC ECU Tune ( Fast as a torpedo & reversible to stock - Review ) + Cargraphic Exhaust ( Oh heavenly noise! )

125272413743208AE4325-1 1200 no license.jpg

--

Regards,
    Can

125272493754708AE4454-2 no license.jpg

--

Regards,
    Can

This is the most handsome Turbo I have ever seen.

It is not overdose; original looks rides on gorgeous wheels with painted front lip without a license plate and proper exhaust pipes.

Just Beautiful

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Ibis

07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

Many congrats on this beautiful car SmileySmileySmiley 

Completely agree with pride355. Nicest Turbo I've seen!!!

Great review and great pics Can!

--
    997 TT, what a car/che'mmmmmaghena!!!

Congrats Can, that is an awesome and mouth-watering machine.

Thanks everyone for the positive comments. I do appreciate it very much and it's good to be able to share the hobby.

Hi Skrambles -- thanks, and you have the same thing! BTW, if you are a seasoned veteran, never mind, but if not, you could tell one mod in my car by looking at the front wheel and see the slight tilt inwards, as opposed to a stock car which won't tilt as much. This is front negative camber, exact same as the GT2 setting (gold standard) and helps the car corner much better. (You WILL feel the difference.) This is the very first mod that most people do.
    Not only this kind of change inexpensive (US $200), conservative, & not void the warranty, it is expected of Porsche owners. Anyway, get to know your car for a few months, then, if & when you're interested, you know where to ask. Smiley

08AE4393-1 PS2 Main 1200 Crop copy NEG camber.jpg

--

Regards,
    Can

For anyone in Southern Cal who is interested, the area is Antelope Valley, around the Poppy Field Reserve. This area has prime Porsche roads, provided you go during weekdays (law men abound on weekends) .

During Spring season, the Los Angeles Porsche Club sometimes arrange a drive here, with family (meaning GIAC off, PASM off, everything off off off Smiley), to see the Poppy blossoms. This is what those dry fields look like in Spring (pic taken last year):

08AE3317lettheroad.jpg

--

Regards,
    Can

Great write-up (as always) and stunning pics, Can!   

--

2009 Porsche Turbo Cab - Cargraphic exhaust, HRE P40's charcoal

cannga:

Thanks everyone for the positive comments. I do appreciate it very much and it's good to be able to share the hobby.

Hi Skrambles -- thanks, and you have the same thing! BTW, if you are a seasoned veteran, never mind, but if not, you could tell one mod in my car by looking at the front wheel and see the slight tilt inwards, as opposed to a stock car which won't tilt as much. This is front negative camber, exact same as the GT2 setting (gold standard) and helps the car corner much better. (You WILL feel the difference.) This is the very first mod that most people do.
    Not only this kind of change inexpensive (US $200), conservative, & not void the warranty, it is expected of Porsche owners. Anyway, get to know your car for a few months, then, if & when you're interested, you know where to ask. Smiley

08AE4393-1 PS2 Main 1200 Crop copy NEG camber.jpg

--

Regards,
    Can

Can,

Thanks very much for the info.  I'll give it a while to get used to the car in stock form and may pick your brains about mods later! 

Skrambles

skrambles:

Can,  

Thanks very much for the info.  I'll give it a while to get used to the car in stock form and may pick your brains about mods later! 

Skrambles

You are very welcome and do take time to know the stock car. I too take a lot of time before starting any mod, and when the mod starts, it's always done in individual steps, with a long time in between to digest any change. For me that's the only way to learn.

And if/when ready, fire away with your questions. There are not many things as fun as helping separating a fellow Porsche nut from his $. Smiley
    Some of us like to leave the car as is from factory. Others believe a Porsche is meant to be tinkered with, and that is where the fun is. I unfortunately belong to that second group and just want to assure you that it's "ok" to be nutty. Smiley Kidding aside, really, it's quite an education.

--

Regards,
    Can

Another old picture. This one, I think with Canon 14mm f/2.8 super wide, camera is also Canon 1D.

Poppy Field Porsche No Sub.jpg

--

Regards,
    Can

Simply georgeous...

08AE4393-1 PS2 Main 1200.jpg

--

2009 997 GT2 659PS/827NM DIN

Wow!  Time for me to wash the car and get a better camera.  Those pics are awesome guys!

Thanks Toby. Your car too is a home-run in my book! The Dymag wheel design and matching silver of car and wheel, "broken" by the yellow brake, are out-of-this-world fantastic. Simply gorgeous and makes it among the most understated yet beautiful 911's I've ever seen.

You should be happy that any nutty photographer praises your car this much -- we spend time lots and lots of time "staring" and "pixel peeping" Smiley.  And really, it's hard for me to take my eyes off your silver GT2 (very very unusual for me as I generally don't like silver cars).

PS I didn't say all this because you wrote my Turbo looks gorgeous either. Smiley Congrats.

--

Regards,
    Can

Took a drive with the LA Porsche Club. Pic didn't come out so good so I decide to use photoshop effect.

(For best quality, set your rennteam personal setting to view pictures at 1200 pixel.  That's the resolution of these shots.)

08AE4526-1 artistic 2.jpg

Then I got carried away. Smiley

08AE4304 PS Desert Main License Out 1200 NO TEXTdry brush main.jpg
    --

Regards,
    Can

08AE4325-1 1200 no license poster edge.jpg

08AE4393-1 PS2 Main 1200 dry bush.jpg
    --

Regards,
    Can

Thanks cannga, the effect works out quite nice on the first pic, on the other pics it distorts the lines of your beautiful car a little.

BTW, full res is always available on click.

^^^ Thanks for the feedback!

--

Regards,
    Can

haha, nice pica's Cann!
    The effect is nice, but I think without the effect they would've been nicer... ;-)

Never get enough of looking at pics of your car though. I love the mods you did to it, make it a car that looks different, but still coherent.

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Thanks Joost & Eunice. Ok I think I got the message; real pictures, no cheesy PS effect.

08AE3284-3 PS1200.jpg

--

Regards,
    Can

125704863402708AE1180-1 PS 1200.jpg

--

Regards,
    Can

nice pics 

These pics are just stunning cannga!

Simply stunning  

--

1257036869571easy_rider911 signature with text.jpg

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Yup, no comments this time! ;-)
    Simply brilliant.

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Looks like the Lauterbrunnen Valley, just at the base of the cog rail train to the Jungfrau.  Lovely shot...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688803 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408812 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255576 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234826 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65426 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4638 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857668 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773557 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM