Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Rolls-Royce RR4/200EX name confirmed

I think WAY asked me something regarding RR yesterday. Got this in the mail this morning, thought I'd share it with you. Today at the Shanghai Motor Show, Tom Purves, CEO of Rolls-Royce Motor Cars, announced the name of the new Rolls-Royce model, to date known only by its codename of RR4. We want you to be one of the first to know.The name of our new production car will be the Rolls-Royce Ghost.The name Ghost is inspired by one of the most revered models in motoring history. Like its predecessors, Ghost is a symbol of design and engineering excellence, of effortless composure and technical innovation.Ghost will sit alongside our current Phantom range, creating two pinnacle product lines, each with their own distinctive character and appeal.200EX, the experimental forerunner to the new car, displayed our design team's bold new vision of a luxury motor car that is noticeably less formal and more dynamic, with all the hallmarks of a true Rolls-Royce. Ghost makes this vision a reality. We look forward to sharing further details of the new Rolls-Royce Ghost with you very soon. In the meantime, you can see more of Ghost's experimental forerunner, 200EX

Re: Rolls-Royce RR4/200EX name confirmed

Interesting, many thanks Smiley

Will they position "Ghost" as the more driver oriented car as well (more sporty feed-back etc.)?

Thanks Mike.  I am not so sure about this name!  Why don't they stick to the tradition and call it something ghost?  I am not sure if I want to own a car call Ghost. Too scary.

MKSGR, it's meant to be a more driver orientad car.  Are you interested in one too?  Go and talk to your local RR dealer.  The 200EX is doing a road show around the world for potential buyers which is how I got contacted in the first place.  Here is a press realease from Rolls Royce last month.

[Source: Rolls-Royce]

PRESS RELEASE

ROLLS-ROYCE MOTOR CARS CONFIRMS FURTHER DETAILS FOR RR4

• New 6.6 litre turbo charged V12 engine unique to Rolls-Royce
    • New 8-speed gearbox
    • Engine power upwards of 500bhp (upwards of 373kW/507PS)

Rolls-Royce Motor Cars has confirmed further details about the production version of 200EX, the experimental car shown at the Geneva motor show early in March 2009.

Rolls-Royce CEO, Tom Purves announced the details at a press conference in New York where 200EX is currently being shown to potential customers on the first leg of a world tour.

Speaking at the event, Mr. Purves said, "There has been a great deal of interest in this car since we first talked about producing a new model series in the autumn of 2006 and the reaction 200EX received at its unveiling at Geneva was very positive. As we move another step closer to the start of production at Goodwood, it is exciting to be able to share some of the specific technical details with customers and the media."

He continued, "RR4 will deliver an authentic Rolls-Royce experience to owners, so expect peerless comfort and build quality. However, we have consciously engineered this car to be more involving and dynamic for those owners around the world that will wish to drive it themselves."

RR4 will be powered by a brand new 6.6 litre turbo charged V12 engine unique to Rolls-Royce. The engine will be combined with an 8-speed automatic ZF gearbox. This new drive-train will significantly improve fuel and CO2 efficiency over the already class leading Phantom series of cars. Engine power will be upwards of 500bhp.

Further details about RR4 will be released over the coming months

What I know about the car to date makes me think very positively about it... Of course, in  the current economical climate this car is a very strong statement (customers, neighbours etc.), at least here in central Europe. But then, public perspective will also change to the better again at some stage. Assuming this, the "Ghost" would be very tempting indeed. Modern technology, high-end quality and excellent style. A great package indeed Smiley

P.S.: What I write above applies (of course) only if you are not "downgrading" from the Phantom Smiley Guess, who I am thinking about right now Smiley

I am in the same position and the whole statement thing is also a concern for me.  But the car probably won't get to Australia till 2011 and maybe things will look much more positive by then.  If not I think it's probably wise to wait a bit before buying one.

And Mike, it is ok to buy the Ghost because I understand that you now don't sell your cars anyway so you will still have the Phantom hence it isn't a downgrade.

Hmm "GHOST" while very characteristic for RR, it is hardly original... Phantom->Ghost, duh...

--
    Cash, gas or ass... no one rides for free!

I remember there was once a 1908 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost. It must be an homage to that car... ?

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Yes, the word Ghost is not new to Rolls Royce, but I don't like the name Ghost on it's own.  As I said above, call it Something Ghost and it will sound much more elegant.

MKSGR:

P.S.: What I write above applies (of course) only if you are not "downgrading" from the Phantom Smiley Guess, who I am thinking about right now Smiley

I have absolutely no clue, could you give us a hint? SmileySmileySmiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

i found this pic today and it reminded me you guys had a discussion about what it was going to be called, well heres the car at the 2009 Villa d'Este Concorso d'Eleganza with the RR4 plate. IMO it looks fantastic.

Not a fan of the rear view mirrors, but it looks good nonetheless.

PinKchampagnE:

Not a fan of the rear view mirrors, but it looks good nonetheless.

Yeah, that's the only disappointing detail of the car. Smiley

--

They had to due to new regulations I agree, car looks stunning!

It looks great!

BUT those mirrors... damn! I dont mind the size, but the way they execute them! so fugly and with no imagination!

--

Looks good!  Anymore picture of the car?  This is only the second colour I have seen.  I love the modern interpretation of the front grill btw. 

The latest I have heard locally is that it is only going to be 20% cheaper than the Phantom.  That would make it almost double the price of the 760Li and almost double that of the Fling Spur as well!  If that is the case I am not interested...

janus:

It looks great!

BUT those mirrors... damn! I dont mind the size, but the way they execute them! so fugly and with no imagination!

its the same thing with the Rapide, the mirrors are horrible. anyone have any info on what this new regulation is about and why they imposed it?

Enmanuel:
    janus:

It looks great!

its the same thing with the Rapide, the mirrors are horrible. anyone have any info on what this new regulation is about and why they imposed it?

You can find some information here :

europa.eu/scadplus/leg/fr/lvb/l21056.htm (sadly, in French)

or

eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do (in French too)

Official page :

eur-lex.europa.eu/smartapi/cgi/sga_doc

You might also want to check this study on new regulation concerning driver’s field of vision :

www.unece.org/trans/main/wp29/wp29wgs/wp29grsg/grsginf/81/grsg81_japan.ppt (English, Microsoft Powerpoint)

For example :

Enmanuel:
    janus:

It looks great!

But it should be rather easy to exchange them. Smiley

--

Rossi:
    Enmanuel:
    janus:

It looks great!

Not really. For the car to remain legal (in Europe at least), any mirrors retrofitted to a car have to fulfill the same minimum legal requirements as the OEM units. Which means that any replacement mirrors would have to be just as big as the originals.

--

fritz

fritz:
    Rossi:
    Enmanuel:
    janus:

It looks great!

Not really. For the car to remain legal (in Europe at least), any mirrors retrofitted to a car have to fulfill the same minimum legal requirements as the OEM units. Which means that any replacement mirrors would have to be just as big as the originals.

Well, the worst thing to me is not the size of the mirrors, especially as the RR4 is no small car, but the shape of these dumbo ears. Smiley

--

Found some more, but now with the 200EX plate. the rear is much better than the phantom IMHO

I love it, but I'd still take a Brooklands.

In terms of class, refinement and craftsmanship , it's just up there IMO.

PinKchampagnE:

i respect your choice but I wouldnt give that kind of money for a coupe like that. its a superlative car, but IMO the best Bentleys or Rolls are the four doors, if i wanted a coupe i would get someting much more sporty.

Enmanuel:
    PinKchampagnE:

i respect your choice but I wouldnt give that kind of money for a coupe like that. its a superlative car, but IMO the best Bentleys or Rolls are the four doors, if i wanted a coupe i would get someting much more sporty.

The heart has reasons that reason cannot know.

PinKchampagnE:
    Enmanuel:
    PinKchampagnE:

The heart has reasons that reason cannot know.

Amen to that Smiley

On the issue of the size of the rear view mirrors, I wonder who will be the first to do away with them by introducing cameras. It's been talked about for some time now, but nothing on a production car yet Smiley

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Since this car has many fans here (including me!) and I just came accross this video,  I thought I would share it:

www.turbo.fr/videos-voiture/295356-presentation-de-la-rolls-royce-ghost.html

Thanks for posting, Mike. A great shame, IMO, that BMW have dropped RR's traditional "Silver" prefix from the car's title. "Silver Ghost" sounds so much more elegant than just "Ghost" Smiley

--
    Boxster S 3.4 06 Cobalt / Ocean Blue (Zuffenhausen collection)  BMW 123d M Sport 08 Le Mans Blue / Lemon

It's great overall, but I have a lot of trouble stopping myself from fixating ONLY on those Dumbo mirrors.

It's like stopping yourselves from staring at someones big mole on his face.

--

This whole issue of ridiculously oversized mirrors is yet another example of EU bureaucracy gone mad. Just because you fit larger mirrors doesn't mean a driver is any more likely to look at them! You cannot engineer in improved human behaviour as Brussuels would seem to think.

On top of that they represent a greater obstruction if they hit a pedestrian in an accident

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765145 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437101 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261327 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258151 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82733 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877385 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809596 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM