Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

New 2010 Bentley Mulsanne

(from Bentley Press Release)  NEW BENTLEY MULSANNE MAKES WORLD DEBUT AT PEBBLE BEACH CONCOURS D'ELEGANCE, CALIFORNIA

16 August, 2009 (Bentley Motors, Crewe, England) Today, Bentley Motors unveiled the Mulsanne, the companys all-new flagship grand tourer, at the prestigious Pebble Beach Concours D'Elegance in Monterey, California. The Mulsanne is inspired by the company founder W.O. Bentleys crowning achievement in 1930, the 8-litre. And it was W.O.s own sensitively conserved company car that shared the podium with the new Mulsanne in Pebble Beach. This early motoring masterpiece represented the last big Bentley that was designed, engineered and built from the ground up by Bentley engineers - until now. 

Nearly 80 years later, while paying respect to this illustrious past, the new Mulsanne is a thoroughly modern statement of luxury driving and grand touring. Conceived, styled and engineered entirely at Bentleys headquarters in Crewe, England, the Mulsanne, with its completely new and unique platform, goes into production next year in a new state-of-the-art manufacturing facility within the Crewe factory. 

Introducing the Bentley Mulsanne at Pebble Beach, where Bentley was the featured marque, Dr. Franz-Josef Paefgen, Chairman and Chief Executive of Bentley Motors, said:

The challenge we set our engineers was to create a new grand Bentley that would stand as the pinnacle of British luxury motoring, offering the worlds most exclusive driving experience. They have responded to this challenge with real passion and the result is a luxury grand tourer that sets new standards in terms of comfort, effortless performance and hand-crafted refinement the very qualities for which Bentley is renowned.

The Bentley design team, lead by Dirk van Braeckel, have created a flagship that offers the classic sporting, styling cues long-associated with Bentley - expressed in a thoroughly contemporary way. 

From the very first hand sketches in the styling studio, we were inspired by the traditions of the grand touring Bentleys and have sought to evolve this story for a new generation of Bentley enthusiasts. 

The return of the Mulsanne name to a car carrying Bentleys iconic Winged B emblem underlines the companys racing pedigree and nowhere reflects that heritage better than the famed Le Mans circuit, the scene of no fewer than six Bentley triumphs. Few places offer a stronger or more emotive connection with the Bentley marque than the famed Mulsanne corner.

The Bentley 8-litre displayed alongside the Mulsanne in California was first shown at the 1930 London Motor Show. It was the second-built and was W.O. Bentleys company car for two years. Capable of reaching more than 100 mph, the 8-litre demonstrated W.O. Bentleys ambition and ability to build a grand luxury car capable of surpassing every other leading manufacturer of the day. A total of 100 cars were built in 1930 and 1931.

The 8-litres breathtaking performance and quality was perhaps the finest example of a pure grand Bentley. Every mechanical detail carried W.O. Bentleys unique stamp and it was the clearest demonstration of a car built without compromise, commented Dr. Ulrich Eichhorn, Member of the Board Engineering.

The Mulsanne has been designed with exactly the same guiding principles, so it is entirely fitting that these Bentleys from different eras share the same stage. 

The Bentley Mulsanne will go on sale from mid 2010. It will also be displayed at the forthcoming IAA Frankfurt Motor Show (15-27th September, 2009) where Bentley Motors will provide additional product information.

Re: New 2010 Bentley Mulsanne

So basically they took the Brooklands, added a couple more doors, and redesigned the front so that it looks like a cheap Chinese car.

Hey, let's take bits and pieces from various cars ! And we'll call that design contemporary ! Great idea.

I dont like it, but I never been a fan of Bentleys anyway.

PinKchampagne is right, the front is made in china, no doubt about it  
    To be honest I wasn't expecting much from this model, it's boring.
    Bentley needs a new designer or a new ownership, otherwise it will only get worse over time.

--
    If a man does not know to what port he is sailing, no wind is favourable

I would rather have the RR Ghost. 

Note: when I choose the smileys I have twice the tong one whereas the smirk one has disappeared. 

Ziggy:

Note: when I choose the smileys I have twice the tong one whereas the smirk one has disappeared. 

+1 Smiley Smiley Smiley (take one of mine Smiley)

These lights look weird. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    Ziggy:

You mean take one of your RR Ghosts?   Smiley

P.S: It is when you do a click reply than the smirk smiley does not appear, otherwise you indeed find him on the left when you go to the detailed post page.  Smiley

Ziggy:
    Rossi:
    Ziggy:

You mean take one of your RR Ghosts?   Smiley

P.S: It is when you do a click reply than the smirk smiley does not appear, otherwise you indeed find him on the left when you go to the detailed post page.  Smiley

Smiley Smiley Smiley  Sorry, can't give you one of my Ghost, need to flip cars every second day. Smiley

I've noticed that click reply as well, that's the reason why I always use the detailed post page. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Reminds me a bit of this car.

Horrible! Smiley

--
    There is no try. Just do.

I've been a fan of the Ghost from day 1, so naturally I would swing the way of the RR even if this was ok looking.  But this...this is just awful!  What is Bentley thinking?????

Offensively ugly.

--
    MY07 Cayman S, Basalt Black, Black

I knew the moment i posted it that nobody would like it, but news is news. the only thing i like from this car is the exhaust tips, those are nice 

People who like other contemporary Bentleys, will like the Mulsanne too.

I am sure that people who post negative remarks here have never contemplated buying a Bentley.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

after looking at it for a while i think that the big problem is that little headlight, its like on that picture of the Zonda cinque where the licence plate holder ruins the whole thing. maybe if the headlight were different then it would be a good looking car.

Judging from thet pic Mike posted, now Chinese can enjoy the original to...

Original copying knockoffs... nice, real nice.

But I do like the car as a whole, sad face, looking front aside... the car looks bullit proof!

--
    Cash, gas or ass... no one rides for free!

3BentleyMulsanne2010firstpi.jpg

from the front it looks like a retarted kid tried to put a cheap kit car together in the dark without any tools. 

Side is not so bad, pretty decent lines

Rear is not new is it? lol

all in all i think someone gave green light to the concept car instead of the refined finished product.

--

1980 Mercedes-Benz 240d 2.4L Diesel 74 hp Olive Green on Tan or Black on red (looking to buy) 
    1986 BMW 325e 5spd 2.7L 121 hp (172 lb·ft) Le Mans Blau on Tan leather.
    1986 BMW 325is 5spd 2.5L 168 hp (164 lb-ft) White on Tan leather (parted out) 
    2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd 2.0L 136 hp (120lb-ft) CD silver on grey (sold)
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd 2.5L 150 hp (168lb-ft) champagne gold on grown leather. (sold)

reginos:

I am sure that people who post negative remarks here have never contemplated buying a Bentley.

I had an Arnage T Mulliner and Conti GT. I loved the Conti GT, but hated the Arnage (that stupid radiator fan is RPM dependant and was so damn loud).

After all the propaganda with their website "The new Grand Bentley" - this is a tiny bit disappointing. Did a fantastic marketting job, but the final product is not exactly mindblowing.

It's not a bad car overall, if they possibly just lined up the bottom of the outer lights with the bottom of the larger ones. It would look a bit better. At the moment, it looks as if the front melted a bit.

It is a very advanced hyper-limousine from what I've been reading.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/242511/

Also IMO a car of this size and grandeur must be seen in real life to be appreciated.

One funny thing is that R-R use disproportionately small headlights whereas Bentley have come up with exactly the opposite, these huge "prison camp" lights!

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Four door Bentley Brooklands with a silver strip valence..

Gatling Gun Headlights stolen from the last generation Infiniti Q45? Smiley

Not impressed considering Roll has the baby Phantom about to drop which looks damn good and Bugatti is getting ready to drop the Bordeaux.

--

...the only thing stopping you in all likelihood, is you!

koko:

3BentleyMulsanne2010firstpi.jpg

- Smokestack delete option.                               

--

...the only thing stopping you in all likelihood, is you!

reginos:

I attended the Pebble Beach unveiling event and thought the car looked great in person.   Any pix are taken from one specific, solitary angle and field of camera view and don't let one's gaze wander over the car.  The choice of focal length, height, and position all make a big difference - just as with a personal portrait.  One needs to walk up to it to get a better feeling for what the Mulsanne really looks like.

On the same subject, I drove a Panamera at the Quail the day before and got a different impression of the looks of the rear of that car when I saw it in person, not in a photo.  I was worried about the rear view, but liked it in person very much.

YMMV

P.S.  All car purchases are so complexly personal that if some people don't like it, someone else is sure to love it even more.

--

Mike

2005 Carrera GT - Signal Yellow

2008 Tesla Roadster - Thunder Gray

1972 BMW 3.0 CSi - Nachtblau

2009 Bentley Arnage T - Black Saphire

reginos:

Not entirely true.  I would love to own a RR Ghost, so clearly I could be a potential customer.  But I would not buy THIS Bentley, ever. 

W8MM:
     I attended the Pebble Beach unveiling event and thought the car looked great in person.   Any pix are taken from one specific, solitary angle and field of camera view and don't let one's gaze wander over the car.  The choice of focal length, height, and position all make a big difference - just as with a personal portrait.  One needs to walk up to it to get a better feeling for what the Mulsanne really looks like.

I was there too and agree that it looks much better in person.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello.  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2

It would look 100%  better if it wasn't for that smaller head light.

I guess you could smoke it a bit on those darker colors!

Can't wait to see the interior!

--
    Cash, gas or ass... no one rides for free!

janus:

I could see the interior through the tinted windows and it looked nice (lots of wood compared to new smaller RR).

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello.  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2

janus:

I think the smaller outer/lower headlight is part of the charm when you walk up to the front of the car.  It's different than what one might expect, but not off the reservation of classic Bentley headlamp vocabulary.  Here's a classic Bentley look with different size and position lamps:

I got a good, long look at the interior during the Tehama Golf Club evening party.  It's very much in keeping with the outgoing Arnage/Azure/Brooklands family themes.  The Mulsanne has even more wood, wrapping behind the rear seats to give a sort of nautical sense to the furniture effect inside.  It keeps the swiveling eye-ball HVAC vents and their organ-stop controls.  They've even added a golf-ball-sized copy of these dash vents to the trailing side of the interior B-pillar trim for face level cooling of the rear seat passengers.

The rest of the interior looks roomier, especially in back, with very nice proportions.  There is one of the typical Bentley wood "secret door" panels about the right size for a touch screen navigation system to hide behind in the top-most center of the dash.  No more flip-up in the top roll.

In comparison, I studied the RR 200EX Ghost prototype on display outside of the Lodge during the concours and thought the interior was quite spartan and looked less inviting than the Mulsanne.

P.S.  The wheels had 265/40-21 tires mounted.

--

Mike

2005 Carrera GT - Signal Yellow

2008 Tesla Roadster - Thunder Gray

1972 BMW 3.0 CSi - Nachtblau

2009 Bentley Arnage T - Black Saphire

hahaha Heist keep coming with hilarious combo pics! I can't stop laughing haha!

--

1980 Mercedes-Benz 240d 2.4L Diesel 74 hp Olive Green on Tan or Black on red (looking to buy) 
    1986 BMW 325e 5spd 2.7L 121 hp (172 lb·ft) Le Mans Blau on Tan leather.
    1986 BMW 325is 5spd 2.5L 168 hp (164 lb-ft) White on Tan leather (parted out) 
    2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd 2.0L 136 hp (120lb-ft) CD silver on grey (sold)
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd 2.5L 150 hp (168lb-ft) champagne gold on grown leather. (sold)

Hi Mike,

The interior has me very intrigued! I'm still not a fan on the lights none the less. Can you confirm which engine the car has?

PS. Did you perhaps take any photos by anychance?

Thanks!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    774627 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440222 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262011 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260270 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84818 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5442 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879301 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    814101 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM