Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Have Carrera GT prices stabilized and started appreciating?

Futch:

Very interesting thanks Mike.

Have you ever considered switching to Cup tyres? That means changing the rims but I reckon it could be interesting. The standard sport pilot are not sticky enough in the dry, car is all over the place after a few laps and the tyres desintegrate quite rapidly. Futch

Futch,

First, I've thoroughly considered racing tires on another set of wheels and rejected the idea.  Since the wheels are so difficult to change without the dealer tool set and a lift, I would have to trailer the car and not drive it to the track.

If I were to commit to a trailer-to-the-track sort of experience, I would rather buy a Cup Car and go to the track via trailer that way.  Already super sorted out and roll cage equipped.

Second, I wonder why you experience premature tire disintegration?  Are we using some really interesting slip angles whilst watching smoke billow from the wheel wells? Smiley

Edit:

The "all over the place" feeling might be if the tires gain too much pressure as the sheer forces heat the tire.  I try to keep the pressure down to 38 or 39 psi all the way around, as indicated on the on-board TPMS display.  I found that using dry nitrogen as the inflating gas helped keep moisture from aggravating the pressure gain.

Also, softening the rear roll bar might help the rear tires from running at too high a slip angle, making more rear pressure than necessary.

--

Mike

2005 Carrera GT - Signal Yellow

2008 Tesla Roadster - Thunder Gray

1972 BMW 3.0 CSi - Nachtblau

2009 Bentley Arnage T - Black Saphire

No PSM means this car is out of reach for a lot of people...

Nice, very nice Smiley

--
    Happy Driving

SciFrog:

No PSM means this car is out of reach for a lot of people...

How so?

Do you mean they can't be trusted to drive it correctly, or they must have a mechanical savior to save them from themselves?

Or, did I miss something?

--

Mike

I wouldn't trust myself with such a car without PSM... Not that good a driver...

SciFrog:

I wouldn't trust myself with such a car without PSM... Not that good a driver...

OK!

Cheers SmileySmileySmiley

--

Mike

Good post Mike. My experience in driving the car supports your views. Getting to speed is quick and effortless and before you know it, you may find yourself in trouble. However, after driving it several times you begin to understand your limitations and drive accordingly. 

BTW, if I am not mistaken, Ben's CGT came with the middle setting from the factory.

MIke S. as far as purchasing one, if I had a stable like yours, it definitely would be one car that is a must. Totally different car from most others.Smiley

--

I didn't check this thread in a few days. Some really really informative posts and fantastic pictures! I don't know why everybody doesn't just post more photos

Thanks especially to Futch and Mike for their contribution to the thread.

At the moment, I'm storing 1 car in the basement of the office. When the Superleggera and V12 Vantage arrive I will need to move 2 more cars to the basement for the time being - just until my new house is completed.

There is a black CGT for sale from the local dealer. It has never been driven. The price however, is astronomical. You could buy a Veyron with the same money.

Mike, it's only money.  Buy that unused Carrera GT and store it!   For me, I am hoping that the cars will continue to drop in price and I might get myself one when it gets to US$200k (yeah I know, may be wishful thinking).  My problem is the same, I can't register it as it is LHD!

W8MM:
    Futch:

Very interesting thanks Mike.

Have you ever considered switching to Cup tyres? That means changing the rims but I reckon it could be interesting. The standard sport pilot are not sticky enough in the dry, car is all over the place after a few laps and the tyres desintegrate quite rapidly. Futch

Futch,

First, I've thoroughly considered racing tires on another set of wheels and rejected the idea.  Since the wheels are so difficult to change without the dealer tool set and a lift, I would have to trailer the car and not drive it to the track.

This doesn´t necessarily have to be racing tires, any Cup tire delivers higher and, quite importantly, steadier grip levels than the original tire. From my understanding, there are still no alternatives available for the genuine CGT rims so one would have to switch rims as well?

It is a shame that Porsche does not take advantage of the car and introduced a scaled down version. It certainly would get my attention. Instead, they stick with the stale tired Porsche "evolution" look.

Hopefully, the VW management will get more adventurous with Porsche styling.  

--

Mike S:

At the moment, I'm storing 1 car in the basement of the office. When the Superleggera and V12 Vantage arrive I will need to move 2 more cars to the basement for the time being - just until my new house is completed.

New house? Smiley

And we thought you just collected cars. Smiley

--

fritz

LOL

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997.1 C2S Coupe GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Ferdie:

This doesn´t necessarily have to be racing tires, any Cup tire delivers higher and, quite importantly, steadier grip levels than the original tire. From my understanding, there are still no alternatives available for the genuine CGT rims so one would have to switch rims as well?

Ferdie,

The standard-issue Carrera GT tires are pretty close to PS Cup in performance as it is.  If the tires are graced with a recent manufacturing date and fewer than, say, half a dozen heat cycles, they stick really, really well.  As it gets to be a few years after the molding date and a few track events accumulate, they're not quite as fast anymore and seem to need more warm-up-lap heating to get into their remaining groove.

I can't see any promise of practical performance improvement without going all the way to slicks.  And, since slicks don't really come in the sizes appropriate to the stock wheels, one must procure a set of 18" BBS center-lock wheels that fit the spindles.  It can be done (Manthey Racing had some at one time), but it's not for the faint of heart.

The BBS wheels with the 18" Michelin track tires on them in the picture below were watched after as if they were nuclear weapon parts during the record run with Jay Leno.  According to eye-witnesses, the wheels with tires mounted magically appeared from the Michelin support truck, were put on the record run CGT and then confiscated immediately after the festivities.  Porsche, BBS, and Michelin seem to want nothing to do with making them available in the USA.  I don't know about ROW.

record_carrera2.jpg

--

Mike

Mike S:

There is a black CGT for sale from the local dealer. It has never been driven. The price however, is astronomical. You could buy a Veyron with the same money. 

Maybe... but the CGT is a real driving car for the enthusiast...
    It is actually pretty sad that that CGT has never been driven :-(

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

fritz:
    Mike S:

New house? Smiley

And we thought you just collected cars. Smiley

He is only building this new house so he has more space to collect more cars! Smiley

Mike S:

That qualifies as one of those "barn finds". An amazing story really that there is a factory fresh 1 left and in the best color combo.

Any more background on it?

They should do some stuff to keep it "conditioned" as it sits, i would think.

AS cool as this is, it is no one-77 imo, so if they want that kind of money it's a too much. As soon as it is driven the value will begin to approach all others on the road. I could see only a small premium. 20 years from now it would be a different story.

This pics are from a recent Porsche Track Day in the Estoril Circuit.

The BBS wheels really suit the car.

DSC_2138.jpgDSC_2151.jpg 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690266 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409599 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255908 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235141 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65626 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858309 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774535 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM