Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: News from the 'Ring - report & pics

A question to the NoS drivers:

What sort of insurance covers liability against damage/injury/death? I suppose your normal motor insurance excludes the Ring as well as other tracks. But especially the Ring is more dangerous perhaps as there are lots of different vehicles at the same time with drivers of all sorts of ability and purpose. As they say it's an accident waiting to happen!Smiley

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Great report PJ. Just like always. Am glad to see that your pipes have neen smoking correctly.

--

Cayenne Turbo - Mini Cooper S - 997 GT3

Feeling very happy for you, Achim! Already looking forward to catch up with you & your beauties some day at the Ring or Rhine. Smiley

Some of Olaf's comments on the most important components of the 997.1 GT3:

(1) Brakes: the ABS is calibrated for street use (has to do something with the "booster" set-up, mind you I'm not a techie - hence I can't explain all the tech details). Anyway while nice on the road it's problematic on the track. Once the ABS is engaged under heavy braking it feels like the brakes are gone - the trick to regain the fantastic braking performance is to instantly LIFT the foot on the brake paddle a bit: then the brakes bite again. Very counter-intuitive IMO. Couple of weeks ago I had such a moment when I went a bit too fast down to Wehrseifen (for those not familiar with the 'Ring: fast downhill section where you have to brake hard to turn into the slowest coner of the 'Ring). Normally I'm quite good in braking just up to the ABS zone (not into it), but this time I overcooked a bit. The ABS braking (or better: lack of braking efficiency) felt terrible and my seat became a bit tight Smiley Olaf said this kind of ABS set-up started with the 996 GT3, but is even worse in the 997 GT3 (not sure about the new 3.8).

That occurred on the 996 GT3 Cup car as well, it was recommended to use the brake just as Olaf instructed.

reginos:

What sort of insurance covers liability against damage/injury/death? I suppose your normal motor insurance excludes the Ring as well as other tracks.

My (normal) insurance covers everything except competitive racing Smiley They don't ask for an extra-premium for track use, but there is a reason why the standard premium for the GT3 is 2x - 3x higher compared to the Turbo Smiley

@ Ferdie: looking forward to it Smiley It doesn't need an expensive car to be pretty fast on the 'Ring Smiley

--
    public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Porker:
    Gnil:
    Porker:

@Gnil: Are those days public days? I'm planning on returning early september.

Wednesday and sunday will be public days. In between will be the Scuderia Hanseat course.

Would be great to finaly meet Smiley

Well, I'll most probably be coming on sunday as my car is at Lotus for maintenance tuesday-wednesday...

I'll surely keep you updated! Smiley

and I think that saturday is opened to the public from 17h00. Hope we can dos ome laps on sunday morning Smiley

--
     997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Porsche-Jeck:
    reginos:

What sort of insurance covers liability against damage/injury/death? I suppose your normal motor insurance excludes the Ring as well as other tracks.

My (normal) insurance covers everything except competitive racing Smiley They don't ask for an extra-premium for track use, but there is a reason why the standard premium for the GT3 is 2x - 3x higher compared to the Turbo Smiley

Same over here. My car is covered on any track, as long as I am not doing a proper race.

--
     997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Hey P-J,

Hopefully you remember meeting me in the parking lor of the Nordschleife entrance. I was the guy who took Euro Delivery of the 2010 white GT3 and had the thread on Rennlist. We had a great chat for a while!

In any event, I" am very jealous of your track experience . Not only cool to stop on the track and take a look at certain sections, but to drive it backwards, WOW!!! When I get back there next year I will have to make arrangements to do a course like that. I will try to ping you on Rennlst to keep in touch and maybe you can guide me on that.

By the way, I like your signature of the GT3 for "Toll Roads" That's pretty cool!

All the best,

Michael

TeamDrugMoney:

Hey P-J, 

Hopefully you remember meeting me in the parking lor of the Nordschleife entrance. I was the guy who took Euro Delivery of the 2010 white GT3 and had the thread on Rennlist. We had a great chat for a while!

Hey Michael. how could I ever forget the guy from NJ who did 100 laps or so on NoS just after picking up his new GT3 in Zuffenhausen Smiley I very much enjoyed our chat - you're really what I'd call a super enthusiast Smiley BTW the Manthey guys also mentioned your visit at their shop: the very first 3.8 GT3 they had a closer look at Smiley

Hope you're Baby arrives soon at your side of the pond.

I'd be happy to assist you with any arrangements when you return to the Green Hell Smiley

And: welcome at Rennteam - I'm very much looking forward to read something about your next GT3 adventures Smiley

PS: come to think of it - I'm sure a little thread on your past epic adventures would earn ten stars at least Smiley

--
    public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

@P-J: I really enjoyed reading your detailed posts - full of technical detail - very informative

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997.1 C2S Coupe GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Gnil:
    Porker:
    Gnil:
    Porker:

@Gnil: Are those days public days? I'm planning on returning early september.

Wednesday and sunday will be public days. In between will be the Scuderia Hanseat course.

Would be great to finaly meet Smiley

Well, I'll most probably be coming on sunday as my car is at Lotus for maintenance tuesday-wednesday...

I'll surely keep you updated! Smiley

and I think that saturday is opened to the public from 17h00. Hope we can dos ome laps on sunday morning Smiley

In that case I'll try to convince my friends to leave on saturday afternoon, it would be great to do some laps on saturday evening aswell...

Praying for good weather though, as I'm not comfortable enough with the 'ring to drive it on semi's with a mid-engined car in the rain Smiley, or maybe I am, we'll see Smiley

--

Porker, what's your trick to get a girl that quick into your car. She does seem to enjoy.

--

Cram:

Porker, what's your trick to get a girl that quick into your car. She does seem to enjoy.

aaaah, c'est ce qu'on appelle "charme", non? Smiley

--

spot on. Ok. i'll see if it'll work in september.

--

Hey,

I am glad someone told me about this thread. As you can see this is my second post to rennteam. A friend told me about your post and I was delighted to see it was you!

Funny you consider me a true Porsche enthusiast as I told my friend YOU are also a true Porsche enthusiast! Smiley

I must admit hitting about 200 laps makes me jealous. After my 70 to 80 laps or so I was jsut getting into a groove and can only imagine what 200 must feel like!

All the best to you and talk to you soon!

Michael

Cram:

There's a good chance she will be there in september too, I think she'd be very happy if she could ride along in your GT3 Smiley

(I would be too Smiley)

--

Porker:
    Cram:

There's a good chance she will be there in september too, I think she'd be very happy if she could ride along in your GT3 Smiley

(I would be too Smiley)

Ok with me. See you then.

--

Porker:
    Cram:

Haha, that's only fair - then I have a chance to keep up with Cram (weight penalty + distraction from the ideal line while paying attention to the "other" curves Smiley)

@ Michael: SmileySmiley

--

PJ, you will keep up with me with no pain. i'm the one that will be crying behind you, now that you have been to Manthey and that you spent time on a daily bases at Nordschleife

And if i have a girl seeting next to me in my car, well this will be even harder.Smiley

--

Cram:

And if i have a girl seeting next to me in my car, well this will be even harder.Smiley

What will be harder ? 

--
     997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

SmileySmileySmileySmiley You know your brother very well Smiley

--

Gnil:
    Cram:

What will be harder ? 

Haha... Smiley

I hope she never finds the way to this topic

--

it will be harder to change gears. Smiley Oh no! this is really getting way to farSmileySmiley

--

Cram:

it will be harder to change gears. Smiley Oh no! this is really getting way to farSmileySmiley

sorry, got the wrong stick Smiley

--
     997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:
    Cram:

Who said swiss people are cold and distant? Smiley

--

foreigners use to say this. Well is this a legend or is it true. The answer will be at .............????????????

--

Beautiful pictures Achim, and interesting post! Smiley

Manthey did some of the same things with my boyfriends car, and he´s very satisfied.

You puzzled me with some of those pictures, until I read the explanation further down. Smiley

I think I saw you briefly in the weekend 2 weeks ago, but we never got the chance to speak. I understand that you wont participate at Scuderia? We came down to Nurburg yesterday evening, and will stay until sunday morning. Maybe we will see you Gnil? Look for my silver Carrera S and my boyfriends white GT2 with a black hood and roof.

--

Anne Smile 
    '09 997 Carrera S, GT Silver 
    x '08 Porsche Cayman S Design Edition 1

Gnil:
    Cram:

LOOL Smiley 

OT: u guys are brothers ?! 

Yes, they are... can you tell? :-D

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Anne:

Maybe we will see you Gnil? Look for my silver Carrera S and my boyfriends white GT2 with a black hood and roof.

I am sure we will meet. Look for my black C2S with black Gt3 rims and my brother's yellow Gt3. Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM