Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: CEO Dr. Wiedeking and CFO Härter have left Porsche

I think Nick asks a good question: “Why is VW intending to take over Porsche?”

None of us really KNOW the answer, but it is interesting to speculate. This can be the start of great things or the start of a downward spiral, or somewhere in between.

But getting back to that fundamental question: Why would VW want to purchase Porsche?

Well, what of real value does Porsche offer? The capital assets are fine and dandy, but really not all that much. I think Porsche’s real value is concentrated in two principles assets:

1)       A fabulous brand.
    2)       Weissach, an engineering think-tank out of all proportion to the company’s size.

So I think (and pray) that rather than looking at Porsche as a simple profit center and trying to increase production units (which will diminish asset #1), VAG may in fact nurture the Porsche brand and use it to reflect a lot of glory on VW, and (continue to) use Weissach for what it does so well, for the various brands. Look at Ferrari/Fiat.

Diluting the brand to get a few ten-thousand extra units of production annually will have much less long-term and sustainable impact on VAG then using it (the brand) as the asset it is. I think that would be the prudent, rational reason for VW to own Porsche.

The Porsche brand is the most powerful in the automotive sector. I know that Ferrari is a legend too but only a very small % of people will ever buy and experience one and hence can identify with the "cavallino". OTOH Porsche is a top brand that people can realistically aspire to owning and be involved with.

I wrote this before, but I know of at least 8 independent monthly publications from 4 countries in 3 languages that make a living out of Porsche (and they are not all, only those that I know). A good empirical indication of the attraction of the brand.

Who wouldn't like to own this jewel?

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Because a jewel often looks better alone and not when intermingled with others. 

--

nberry:

Because a jewel often looks better alone and not when intermingled with others. 

I expect the shine of this jewel to make the glow of others brighter Smiley

--

I, on the other hand, continue to be very skeptical concerning all this.

The main difference between the Ferrari/fiat relationship and the VVW/ Porsche relationship, is that Fiat does not have 10 brands, and Ferrari is clearly the icing on the cake.

VW has developed (and continues to develop) Audi to compete with Porsche , and so I am not convinced that it will be as linear as some think, that Porsche will occupy a similar position to that of Ferrari within the Fiat group.

The original question was “Why is VW intending to take over Porsche? why the indirect implication that VW will have nothing to gain.

My answer to this is that Porsche does have a much different and stronger image than any of the other VW brands.  For example, Audi may have achieved something good with the R8s and the LM prototype successes but they will never have the allure of Porsche. If you mention Audi,the man in the street thinks of lots of A4 TDI diesels carrying families and sales representatives across Europe. Bentley and Lamborghini are also positioned differently with different clientele.

If the question was "do i prefer Porsche to have been an independent sportscar manufacturer with healthy finances?", my answer would have been an unqualified "Yes!!" But unfortunately, this possibility has evaporated long time ago.

--

Spyderidol:

The main difference between the Ferrari/fiat relationship and the VVW/ Porsche relationship, is that Fiat does not have 10 brands, and Ferrari is clearly the icing on the cake.

FIAT, Alfa Romeo, Lancia, Ferrari, Maserati, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep,  ??

You're right, that's just 8 brands unless I've forgotten some. Smiley

Guess FIAT needs to revive the Autobianchi and American Motors names.

--

fritz

fritz:
    Spyderidol:

+ Abarth + Iveco = 10

Blueflame Smiley

fritz:
    Spyderidol:

the last three are a very recent addition.

Also - not exactly a threat to Ferrari, are they?

Spot the jewel in the crown!

What about the fact that Piech has influence and control of VW + Porsche can now control the Porsche cousins that threw him out 30-40 years ago.  Revenge is a strong motive.  Just something to think about.

Spyderidol:

Also - not exactly a threat to Ferrari, are they?

Quite true. Smiley

Especially not the Dodge Viper. Smiley

--

fritz

dan996:

What about the fact that Piech has influence and control of VW + Porsche can now control the Porsche cousins that threw him out 30-40 years ago.  Revenge is a strong motive.  Just something to think about.

IMO these things are exaggerated in the Press because they appeal to the readers. Kind of real life sagas like in TV serials.

--

dan996:

FWIW, when Porsche / Piech family members were removed from the day-to-day management of the company back then, those same cousins, including F.A. Porsche and Peter Porsche, also had to find themselves new careers outside the company.

It was not just Piech who was affected by the decision, though he may well have been the one who made it necessary for it to be arrived at. Smiley

I don't buy the theory that he wants to get revenge after all this time for that situation.

--

fritz

I admit to being saddened and disillusioned about Porsche no longer being an independent company.  But I keep telling myself that even if Porsche and WW had "won" and bought the controlling interest in VW, Porsche would not have been "independent" in reality either.

And I am also confused about Porsche's future with VW, but only because--love him or hate him--WW seemed to always have Porsche's success and progress as his dominant goal.  I don't yet see a dedicated Porsche leader/advocate emerging--I sure hope one does...

To me the problem isn't so much whether Porsche is ownd by VW or is independent (I except the argument that it would be difficult for an medium sized Independant company to survive in the future). What I'm really struggling with is that there seems to be no clear brand positioning for Porsche within the group. I just don't know what to expect, and that makes me nervous.

It's not news, just witness how Piech keep pushing the the value brand VW upmarket and borderline crowding Audi. Seat and Skoda are also pretty much in the same bracket, so is Lambo and Bentley.

Bentley has a racing heritage, Lambo is known as THE sports car that's not Ferrari, but no Piech prefer to have his baby Audi be the racing brand.

Do you guys seriously think Piech is going to be good for Porsche?

The question now is where are Harter and Wiedeking going and what will they do...makes me sad a bit because whether you like the Japanesed Porsche the money they made went into making better and better cars.....Smiley

when i tried to look for something good about this news , i found thaat maybe its good for porsche to be dependant , as we saw ,  4x4 ! , then 4 doors sedan ... where are they going after that ? commercial busses or truck ? ... porsche should be only pure sport car  ,  911 and maybe limited panameras ( to sustain its exclusivity ) .

So my point is  VW may stop this expansion .

not sure if im 1% right .

--

"alfa corse"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688773 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408802 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255574 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234824 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65420 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857664 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773545 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM