Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Schumacher returns for one race (or more?)

easy_rider911:

It will be fascinating to see if he can beat the current crop of F1 drivers 

Same thing here...it will be the hell of a race, can't wait to watch it. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

John H:

Bring it on!

Interest in F1 has been now been re-awoken..

You are right about it Smiley

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Ibis

07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

Jeannot:

Hope he does as well as Armstrong! Funny analogy no? 7 titles, 7 tours and a come back!

GO SCHUMI!

You'r back Jeannot !! :-)  Nice to read you !!! It took Shumi to bring you out of the ditch !Smiley

Have you seen , Schumi's Fiat 500, Audi RS6  and Ducati were on a local internet site for sale ?

And his house is now to rent , as he is mooving down to the lake.

Great to see him back !!!!!! Can't wait !!

--
     997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:
    Jeannot:

Hope he does as well as Armstrong! Funny analogy no? 7 titles, 7 tours and a come back!

GO SCHUMI!

You'r back Jeannot !! :-)  Nice to read you !!! It took Shumi to bring you out of the ditch !Smiley

Have you seen , Schumi's Fiat 500, Audi RS6  and Ducati were on a local internet site for sale ?

And his house is now to rent , as he is mooving down to the lake.

Great to see him back !!!!!! Can't wait !!

I am half back, I have to admit I never got used to the new forum layout and dropped completely out from Rennteam...

Yeah, I just moved and he is about my neighbour now. A colleague of mine saw him in Paleo this week-end. He had booked tickets and the guy at the cashier was like "...and what is your name sir?" Smiley

--
    996C4, Artic silver (current) 997C2S, Seal/black, -20mm LSD, PSE (gone) 986S, Arctic Silver (gone)

Jeannot:

I am half back, I have to admit I never got used to the new forum layout and dropped completely out from Rennteam...

I'm glad you're back, if I can help to make it "full back", I'll do!

Eunice:
    Jeannot:

I'm glad you're back, if I can help to make it "full back", I'll do!

Bring back the old forum layout Smiley

You are right, rennteam is the most friendly forum all-topics-hobbies-interests combined.But I guess not been into buying a new porsche, fully into this F1 season or in a US election year makes less interest to connect, but I shall do so more frequently Smiley

--
    996C4, Artic silver (current) 997C2S, Seal/black, -20mm LSD, PSE (gone) 986S, Arctic Silver (gone)

I am trying to find some time to go to the Singapore GP - it is only 7 hours away afterall.  This made me think, how many of you Europeans are now going to a GP in the remaining of this year that you were not planning to previously?

Good comment/article on Schumachers return:

Some have suggested that he is risking his reputation by stepping back into the cockpit after nearly three years away. But I don't see it that way. Whatever happens in these next few months, nothing can detract from what Schumacher achieved in his career.

Did anyone think less of Lance Armstrong when he could manage 'only' third place on his return to the Tour de France this month? To dive back into arguably the world's toughest sporting event a couple of months short of his 38th birthday, four years after the last of his seven wins, and go toe-to-toe with the very best only enhanced the reputation of a true legend of the sport.

But those who question Schumacher's decision might do well to remember a little vignette that took place last Thursday in the media conference room at the Hungaroring.

BMW driver Robert Kubica was talking about a karting event that he and Toyota's Timo Glock had organised the previous weekend.

"We knew that maybe Michael (Schumacher) was coming," said Kubica, one of the most highly rated drivers in F1, "so we asked some drivers and they joined us. We had good fun, a good day's driving. Also a bit of competition because once you have drivers - even if it is not an F1 track, but karting - there is always competition. There is always someone who wants to be the fastest but overall I think it was good fun."

So who was fastest, Robert, someone asked.

"Michael was the fastest," he said.

www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2009/07/when_lewis_hamilton_made_his.html

--

10 PRINT "997.2 Carrera S rules"

20 GOTO 10

30 RUN

Is anyone surprised that Schummy comes out on top? Karting is as technical as it gets, no electronic aids, pretty much just a test of pure driving skills, feeling the limit of adhesion, picking the best racing line etc, he is the best there is.

WAY:

I am trying to find some time to go to the Singapore GP - it is only 7 hours away afterall.  This made me think, how many of you Europeans are now going to a GP in the remaining of this year that you were not planning to previously?

I am seriously considering that, actually!

Whoopsy:

Is anyone surprised that Schummy comes out on top? Karting is as technical as it gets, no electronic aids, pretty much just a test of pure driving skills, feeling the limit of adhesion, picking the best racing line etc, he is the best there is.

I agree. I have no doubt that he will cometitive again, after all he must be one of the few drivers that is always in competitive mode and didn´t let go after leaving F1.

The only question that remains for me, how much time does he need to adapt to the new car, with different aerodynamic balance than the previous generation´s? His ability to adapt to a car´s behaviour is legendary, so this should not take too much time and laps.

Ferdie:
    WAY:

I am seriously considering that, actually!

Spa-Francorchamps is just a hop away and it's not one of these artificial circuits. Though last time I went to Spa watching a F1 race Schumi invented a new kind of Biathlon (racing & boxing) Smiley

--
    public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Will there be any penalty due to the car change?

Porsche-Jeck:

Spa-Francorchamps is just a hop away and it's not one of these artificial circuits. Though last time I went to Spa watching a F1 race Schumi invented a new kind of Biathlon (racing & boxing) Smiley

That´s what I thought as well. We should form a car pool!

Porsche-Jeck:
    Though last time I went to Spa watching a F1 race Schumi invented a new kind of Biathlon (racing & boxing) Smiley

Wasn´t it a Triathlon (incl. swimming)... Smiley

Ferdie:
    That´s what I thought as well. We should form a car pool!

Yes, good idea Ferdie Smiley You're right with the Triathlon Smiley

--
    public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

An unfamiliar car, an unfamiliar track, hasn't driven a F1 car in a long time, no testing, getting older - hey, no problem Smiley

My head tells me not to expect too much so soon - but my heart wants to see great things happen

When Schumi retired, I expected Alonso to take over. But instead, we've had performances from Raikkonen (2007) and Hamilton (2008) that have been just enough to win the drivers championship. Thrilling climaxes to those seasons for sure but we haven't seen another consistently dominant figure emerge. This has left a void that needs to be filled...

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997.1 C2S Coupe GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

easy_rider911:

An unfamiliar car, an unfamiliar track, hasn't driven a F1 car in a long time, no testing, getting older - no problem 

My head tells me not to expect too much - but my heart wants to see great things happen

I agree with you, it's difficult to have a dream return. He is risking a lot IMO.

He must be under great obligation (I don't think contractual) towards Ferrari and LdiM personally,  to do something like that.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

reginos:
    easy_rider911:

An unfamiliar car, an unfamiliar track, hasn't driven a F1 car in a long time, no testing, getting older - no problem 

My head tells me not to expect too much - but my heart wants to see great things happen

I agree with you, it's difficult to have a dream return. He is risking a lot IMO.

He must be under great obligation (I don't think contractual) towards Ferrari and LdiM personally,  to do something like that.

I don't think he is risking to much, a very recent cart event with Schumacher driving against other F1 pilots showed his class (he won), he was testing with the current Ferrari model during the season, has lots of time to catch up in the simulator.

So no, his comeback won't be a disaster, even if he's not winning. You can always claim technical difficulties Smiley 

Eunice:
    reginos:
    easy_rider911:

I don't think he is risking to much, a very recent cart event with Schumacher driving against other F1 pilots showed his class (he won), he was testing with the current Ferrari model during the season, has lots of time to catch up in the simulator.

So no, his comeback won't be a disaster, even if he's not winning. You can always claim technical difficulties Smiley 

If he does well it won't be a big deal. People will say it's Schumacher after all.

If he doesn't, then he stands to lose.

Now, if he wins the race then he will be God. Ferrari came 3rd and then 2nd in the previous 2 races. MS might finish one up.

--

What does he has to lose? He is already the greatest F1 driver ever with maybe Senna a close second.

He won most of his championships with Ferrari, Ferrari had been very good to Michael and now Ferrai had a crisis on their hand and they needed Michael's help. Of couse Michael is going to do it, this show how much class Michael has.

There really is nothing for Michael to lose, if he wins, it just further his legend. If he loses, he still gain the class and respect than he came out of retirement to help the the team that pretty much gave him everthing.

On a side note, I wonder if Michael is going to wear his old red suit or the Stig's white helmet and white suit.

Whoopsy:

What does he has to lose? He is already the greatest F1 driver ever with maybe Senna a close second.

He won most of his championships with Ferrari, Ferrari had been very good to Michael and now Ferrai had a crisis on their hand and they needed Michael's help. Of couse Michael is going to do it, this show how much class Michael has.

There really is nothing for Michael to lose, if he wins, it just further his legend. If he loses, he still gain the class and respect than he came out of retirement to help the the team that pretty much gave him everthing.

On a side note, I wonder if Michael is going to wear his old red suit or the Stig's white helmet and white suit.

Everybody is remembered by his last act.

--

Exactly, Michael's last act is coming out of retirement, the comfort of his home, to the rescue of Ferrari, the team that pretty made him what he is today, how do one NOT answer such a call? What kind of man would he be if he turned down such a request? Would he be a better human being to not help the team that made him?

If he wins, it's just icing on the cake. His past championships have already proven he is the best F1 driver, what he is doing now is evidence that he is a great character also.

I'm not sure if I agree that Ferrari made him. I think it's more te opposite. He brought Ferrari back from 21 unsuccessful years in F1 with his driving skill and bringing with him a team that is undoubtedly the best in F1. So really, he made Ferrari F1 the modern era legend it is now. It's something the likes of Mansell and Prost failed to do.

WAY's description is correct. Ferrari had been in the doldrums for over 20 years - their last World Champion had been Jody Sheckter. Ferrari brought in a team of Jean Todt, Ross Brawn and Michael Schumacher (already 2 time World Champion with Flavio Briatore's Benetton Ford team) to turn Ferrari's fortunes around. That's why Michael was able to demand a USD20m salary per year back then. They needed him - it wasn't the other way round. And then it took Ferrari some seasons to turn it around. And then the rest - i.e. 5 World Championships for Schumi at Ferrari is well known. So it's a misleading description to state that 'Ferrari made Schumi what he is'.

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997.1 C2S Coupe GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

In a way you guys are right, Schummy is the one of a hand full of drivers who can win with a bottom feeder car like Senna, when he went to Ferrari he brought along his winning team combination and they revive the Ferrari team, and extends Schummy's winning streak.

But can Schummy be that dominant had he went to say Williams or Sauber? Can WIlliams or Sauber at that time afford to hire away the whole winning team from Benetton? Porbably not enough money for the whole package, will Schummy be able to win without the missing pieces? Perhaps, but can he win 5 with those teams? Ferrari needed Schummy, that;s for sure, Schummy also need Ferrari's deep pockets to relocate his whole support cast to Ferrari.  It's probably a mutual benefit for Schummy and Ferrari that they teamed up together to become a dynasty.

easy_rider911:

WAY's description is correct. Ferrari had been in the doldrums for over 20 years - their last World Champion had been Jody Sheckter. Ferrari brought in a team of Jean Todt, Ross Brawn and Michael Schumacher (already 2 time World Champion with Flavio Briatore's Benetton Ford team) to turn Ferrari's fortunes around. That's why Michael was able to demand a USD20m salary per year back then. They needed him - it wasn't the other way round. And then it took Ferrari some seasons to turn it around. And then the rest - i.e. 5 World Championships for Schumi at Ferrari is well known. So it's a misleading description to state that 'Ferrari made Schumi what he is'.

Well, just let's hope he doesn't have to clean up the mess at Ferrari first. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

I heard on the news that Schumacher has borrowed his old F1 car and is testing in that right now. I guess that`s not against the new rule. I`m sure he`s in great shape and will be very competitive.

From Autosport.com:

"Ferrari is still awaiting a response from rival teams to its request for an exemption to the testing ban to let Schumacher try the 2009 car before Valencia."

You think it will be granted?

--

John Howett of Toyota said that FOTA agreed to grant Ferrari a special dispensation for Schumacher to test the F60, as long as no development work is carried out.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

JoeRockhead:

I heard on the news that Schumacher has borrowed his old F1 car and is testing in that right now. I guess that`s not against the new rule. I`m sure he`s in great shape and will be very competitive.

It's actually Raikonnen's car from 2007. Ferrari has borrowed it from a private owner ("clienti") and brought it back on the track. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690586 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409824 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256060 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235292 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65721 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4699 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858507 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774771 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM