Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

2009 European F1 Grand Prix in Valencia

What a week in F1!! Poor Felipe badly injured, BMW Sauber pulling out of F1 in 2010 and now, Schumi is back Smiley This is bigger than the return of JR Ewing in 'Dallas' Smiley Seriously, it's every bit as big as the return of Lance Armstrong in the 2009 Tour de France... Smiley Smiley Smiley

I am really relishing the battle between Schumi and Kimi in the same car  Kimi has been asleep and invisible all season - finally he will wake up - like others here have said, Kimi will certainly not want to be outshone by Schumi

And then in the following race, Schumi will come up against Alonso again

How will Schumi square up to his new German successor, Vettel?  IMHO only Alonso has proven himself to be Schumi's successor as the best in F1 and a 'complete driver' - Vettel in the same equipment is still no match for Alonso in my view.

And what about Hamilton - Schumi is the complete article - Lewis now has a much improved McLaren to fight with - this will be fascinating to watch   

I think most people have suddenly lost interest in Brawn since their season is fizzling out - they seem to be going backwards. And the news of BMW Sauber's withdrawal from F1 for 2010 has now been completely overshadowed by this news. Poor Kubica and Heidfeld - hope some other teams find seats for them to stay in F1.

I think some of the younger drivers who joined F1 after Schumi's retirement will be thinking - 'wow, I have the chance to race against Schumi' - it will be just a little bit more special for them!

F1 is on fire again - this has been a massive boost to an otherwise very predictable season... with interest spiking now, I'm sure Bernie can smell more money to be made  With so much doom and gloom, F1 needed something like this!

The King is back  Bring it on

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997.1 C2S Coupe GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Re: 2009 European F1 Grand Prix in Valencia

Although Renault has been banned "for 1 race" (i.e. at Valencia), I wonder if the FIA will let Renault test there in Friday 1st and 2nd Practice and Saturday Practice? I assume not - it must be a 'whole weekend' ban and not just the Qualification and the Race.

It's a real disadvantage - with no testing during the season, Practice sessions are vital for testing purposes...

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997.1 C2S Coupe GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Also, if Button is outperformed by Red Bull, he will want Ferrari to outperform Red Bull to minimise the number of points he concedes to Red Bull at each race...

--

Easy, given that Webber is now starting to outperform Vettel, you could definitely say that Vettel is not at the level of Schumacher!  So no, he is no Schumacher.

It's going to be a long three weeks of wait for us fans!

Wow yes talk about F1 being exciting again. The King is back!! It must make every driver feel something and create excitement in the pitlane!

With so many teams improving in the last races, Williams, McLaren, Ferrari and even Toyota a little. Red  Bull and Brawn really were a holding a short lived stint of domination. On top of that, next season won't see big changes so the race is on!!

I will watch the next races live for sure!!

Gentlemen, start your engines

--

1986 BMW 325e 5spd 2.7L 121 hp (172 lb·ft) Cosmos Blau on Tan leather.
    2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd 2.0L 136hp (120lb-ft) CD silver on grey (sold)
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd 2.5L 150hp (168lb-ft) champagne gold on grown leather. (sold)

Agreed WAY - I'm happy for Webber that he has finally won a race and has been scoring reasonably consistently this season... years of frustration came out of him when he was celebrating his 1st win over the team radio while still in the car. It was a telling moment. Not winning a race for so many years had been a huge monkey on his back.

All through his career, IMO, Webber has either had poor equipment, suffered from really bad luck or made decisions about which team to move to which have subsequently backfired. So (again just IMO), Webber fell into a never-ending spiral of despair for one reason or another. IMO he felt a bit sorry for himself and whenever more adversity came his way, he would offer one excuse or another. To be honest, it got a bit tiring hearing all the excuses. In any competitive environment, while people will sympathise, at the end of the day, people expect results and the excuses start to wear a bit thin until people's patience eventually runs out. Fortunately for Webber, he has stopped the rot.

This season, with a great car, and with much better competition from a young but strong team-mate, Webber has had no choice but to break that vicious spiral. He has had to prove that he doesn't just 'talk the talk' but that he can 'walk the walk' and actually deliver.

That's why I am especially pleased to see that he is now finally doing this Smiley

I think when all is said and done - i.e. when Webber retires one day - I think dispassionately & objectively that I will think of Webber as an experienced and capable driver who didn't quite achieve his full potential. I don't think he will ever be considered as one of the greats.

The greats make their own luck Smiley

--

So there will be no breakaway motor racing championship:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8179661.stm

--

easy_rider911:

Agreed WAY - I'm happy for Webber that he has finally won a race and has been scoring reasonably consistently this season... years of frustration came out of him when he was celebrating his 1st win over the team radio while still in the car. It was a telling moment. Not winning a race for so many years had been a huge monkey on his back.

All through his career, IMO, Webber has either had poor equipment, suffered from really bad luck or made decisions about which team to move to which have subsequently backfired. So (again just IMO), Webber fell into a never-ending spiral of despair for one reason or another. IMO he felt a bit sorry for himself and whenever more adversity came his way, he would offer one excuse or another. To be honest, it got a bit tiring hearing all the excuses. In any competitive environment, while people will sympathise, at the end of the day, people expect results and the excuses start to wear a bit thin until people's patience eventually runs out. Fortunately for Webber, he has stopped the rot.

This season, with a great car, and with much better competition from a young but strong team-mate, Webber has had no choice but to break that vicious spiral. He has had to prove that he doesn't just 'talk the talk' but that he can 'walk the walk' and actually deliver.

That's why I am especially pleased to see that he is now finally doing this Smiley

I think when all is said and done - i.e. when Webber retires one day - I think dispassionately & objectively that I will think of Webber as an experienced and capable driver who didn't quite achieve his full potential. I don't think he will ever be considered as one of the greats.

The greats make their own luck Smiley

Totally agree on your view of Webber. Smiley

Webber has always been a nearly-man with countless reasons why he couldn't quite get there.

In my opinion his recent change of fortune is more to do with his recovery from the horrendous broken leg he sustained when he fell off a push-bike.

That seems to have given him the, previously lacking, grit and determination to succeed which is now much more apparent in his overall performance.

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Renault has dropped Nelsinho Piquet:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8166688.stm

About time Hasn't scored a single point this season...

--

That still comes as a surprise after all these races he significantly dropped behind Alonso. Why now..?

Luca Badoer to drive for Ferrari at Valencia:

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/8/9732.html

Schumi's neck has prevented him from filling in for Felipe Massa.

--

easy_rider911:

Luca Badoer to drive for Ferrari at Valencia:

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/8/9732.html

Schumi's neck has prevented him from filling in for Felipe Massa.

What a big shame Smiley

I hardly watch F1 these days anymore but I would definitely have watched this race if Schumi raced again.

--

Renault has won its appeal against being banned from racing in Valencia:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8169649.stm

I'm glad Renault won it's appeal - the 1 race ban was too harsh IMHO especially considering that Vettel previously had a $30k fine when a similar incident happened in the pit lane. I don't accept that the penalty should be tougher just because it happened on the race circuit in Renault's case. After all, the key issue is that the incident occurred after the car was released from the pit stop i.e. once the pit crew no longer had control. So IMHO it's only right that both incidents should be viewed in substance as being analogous.

Anyway, it means that Alonso will be there on the grid - which will be great for the Spanish fans - so the event will be better for everyone   

--

Romain Grosjean (replacing Nelson Piquet Jnr) will drive for Renault in Valencia:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8206904.stm

--

There hasn't been much news during the 'summer break' about what further developments the teams have done to their cars. While everyone is trying to go forward, Brawn must be trying to go back to what they had...

IMO McLaren, Ferrari, Red Bull and possibly Brawn could be fighting for the podium. Williams, Renault and Toyota will IMO be in a chasing group. Toro Rosso, Force India and BMW Sauber will be at the back as usual IMO.

Hopefully it will be an exciting race - last year's race at Valencia was a little disappointing IMHO.

--

I will be there

Enzo II:

I will be there

Have fun Smiley

--

I wonder whether BMW Sauber will try to leave F1 with some style  The F1 team must be simply heartbroken that the HQ pulled the plug on racing.  I hope we'll see some more risk taking.  Both Heidfeld and Kubica have typically done poorly in qualification and then taken the 'safer' strategy of filling the car brimful of fuel with 1 fewer pit stop if possible.  Sadly, this strategy hasn't worked because they just don't have the speed once the car becomes lighter (i.e. when they need to put some hot laps in before the next pit stop).  I hope we'll see them lighten the fuel loads to see them actually mix things up a little. Who knows where they could finish if they could put some pressure on the other teams rather than wasting their weekend doing leisurely laps in the company of Force India or Toro Rosso.

--

Some interesting info on the efforts Mario Thiessen is involved with in order to save the BMW Sauber F1 racing team...

Plus further info on what Kubica and Heidfeld are doing to find race seats for 2010:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8213082.stm

--

Brawn's Jenson Button hopes things will turn around at Valencia but it's still speculation as to whether Brawn has found the solution:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8212944.stm

--

Romain Grosjean looks a very promising driver, should be interesting...

Been a long 4 weeks..

--

throt

"I didn't do it", again and again and,,,,,,,, again 

Andrew Benson's blog on the absence of Schumi and the replacement of Massa by Luca Badoer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2009/08/flat_valencia_rues_schumi_abse.html

--

Friday 1st Practice times:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/results/7921004.stm

It looks like Brawn has put right what was wrong with their car. Should be a fight for pole position between Red Bull, McLaren and Brawn

Meanwhile Luca Badoer is slower than Alguersuari and Grosjean

--

easy_rider911:

Friday 1st Practice times:

It looks like Brawn has put right what was wrong with their car. Should be a fight for pole position between Red Bull, McLaren and Brawn

Meanwhile Luca Badoer is slower than Alguersuari and Grosjean

I wouldn´t put too much meaning in Badoer´s times yet, he hasn´t had too much seat time in the F60 and one wouldn´t want to crash in weekend´s first practice. I am fairly certain, if Ferrari has improved as indicated by Raikkonen in Hungary, Badoer will perform mid-field. If not, then...

Good to see that BrawnGP solved their issues, looking forward to the race. The last few weeks indeed were long... Smiley

Alonso is fastest in Friday 2nd Practice:

--

Alonso driving on vapours againSmiley (sorry easy had too ! great to see Alonso/Renault not being banned)

--
    2008 Cayenne Turbo - 2007 BMW X5 4.8is (sold) - 2007 Landcruiser Prado - 1997 Wrangler TJ - 1957 LR

Hami looks very fast again, would have been even faster had Schumi been on there...

Shumi made the correct choice imo ..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

Qualification results:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/results/7921049.stm

Weights:

Below is the provisional grid for the European Grand Prix with each car's weight.

1. Lewis Hamilton, McLaren, 653kg
    2. Heikki Kovalainen, McLaren, 655
    3. Rubens Barrichello, Brawn GP, 662.5
    4. Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, 654
    5. Jenson Button, Brawn GP, 661.5
    6. Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, 661.5
    7. Nico Rosberg, Williams, 665
    8. Fernando Alonso, Renault, 656.5
    9. Mark Webber, Red Bull, 664.5
    10. Robert Kubica, BMW Sauber, 657.5
    11. Nick Heidfeld, BMW Sauber, 677
    12. Adrian Sutil, Force India, 672.5
    13. Timo Glock, Toyota, 694.7
    14. Romain Grosjean, Renault, 677.7
    15. Sebastien Buemi, Toro Rosso, 688.5
    16. Giancarlo Fisichella, Force India, 692.5
    17. Kazuki Nakajima, Williams, 702
    18. Jarno Trulli, Toyota, 707.3
    19. Jaime Alguersuari, Toro Rosso, 678.5
    20. Luca Badoer, Ferrari, 690.5

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/8/9789.html

BBC Sport fuel-adjusted grid and predictd first pit stops are as follows:

1 Rubens Barrichello lap 19
    2 Heikki Kovalainen +0.216secs (lap 16)
    3 Lewis Hamilton +0.249 (lap 15)
    4 Jenson Button +0.291 (lap 18)
    5 Sebastian Vettel +0.507 (lap 16)
    6 Nico Rosberg +0.540 (lap 20)
    7 Mark Webber +0.610 (lap 20)
    8 Kimi Raikkonen +0.614 (lap 18)
    9 Fernando Alonso +0.871 (lap 17)
    10 Robert Kubica +1.114 (lap 17)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/f1mole/2009/08/lewis-hamilton-undoubtedly-did.html

--

Congrats to Rubens. awesome drive..

Jenson got well lucky today with the RBR's out of pace..

Could have a great end of season climax....

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689991 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409462 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255850 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235079 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65588 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858214 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774340 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM